JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. What Is Lacking in Christ's Afflictions

Pastor Ralph

I don't feel that Paul was referring to "completing" anything that Christ is lacking in. Christ cannot lack in anything. I don't even think that Paul was referring to Christ suffering on the cross because the only one who could drink from that cup was Christ. I think maybe suffering for Christ means forsaking all others for Him. Believing in Him and enduring all that will come against you for His name sake.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

Question: How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Answer:Paul suffering as depicted in verse 24,is something that is in he flesh.It does not add,nor is needed to complete the atonement of Jesus Christ in the Cross.Jesus plus something equals to nothing.Jesus plus nothing is EVERYTHING.

Paul sufferings because of the Gospel,are all predetermined by God(Psalm 34:19-Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a difficult concept for us Americans. In terms of suffering for the church, what does that mean? Are we being stoned or imprisioned? No. I think the most we can say is that we might "suffer annoyance for the sake of the church"! Meetings where people disagree, visitors to our church who may present challenges because of their drug/sex background, faulty A/C in the Sunday school rooms.Yes, all these issues can be challenges, but they don't present suffering that is any way equal to Paul's. I guess a start, though, is to even endure the annoyances. Many people leave local congregations and even the church itself because of what began as a simple inconvenience or misunderstanding. I may not suffer like Paul, but I can at least start by not whining over the small things I do experience!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul’s sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ’s sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

As Christ suffered it was then Paul's time to suffer. And now it is OUR time to suffer. Christ suffered for us and we suffer for Christ.We SHARE in His suffering. I believe that is what Paul meant, that he was comissioned to share in Christs suffering for the Glory of Christ. He did not mean Christ was, or could ever lack completion of anything! Christ suffering effects us and our suffering effects Christ.

There is inspiration in suffering, a willingness to do what ever needs to be done to share the love and the Glory of Jesus Christ.Paul,I believe is referring to the ridicule and abuse Christ endured his whole life in order to bring us to HIS Fathers Kingdom and not only the suffering he endured on the cross.

My sufferings for Christ are a value to the church in as much as I have suffered, I have inspired others and I have Thanked the Lord for my suffering because through my suffering I have grown in Christ. I have shared his suffering. and I pass this experience on to other Christians, encouraging, and commissioning them to come to Christ and to know HIM fully.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jesus’ suffering was completed on the cross and lacked nothing or we would still be in bondage. In Pauls’ case, he could have seen suffering in a cosmic sense because suffering does not mean one has to be on the cross. He suffered for the gospel by the trials and tribulations he experienced while teaching and preaching the gospel, which had an effect on him. I believe followers of Christ suffer in many different ways (mentally or physically) and can have an effect on the earthly body as well as the body of the church. My sufferings are not as drastic as Paul’s or those in countries where today people are still being persecution for the gospel. I suffer by making sacrifices (for example, giving up a lifestyle) and learning live a life that is subject to Jesus’ teachings in hopes that others inside and outside the church can see Him in and through me.

• 2 years later...

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul�s sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ�s afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ�s sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

Christ's actions on the cross, his sufferings and His death were complete in every respect. Paul must be speaking here in the context of the now/but not yet eschatology. There is a sense in our Christian religion of the now/ but yet aspect. In this age between the resurection and the Parousia we have the completeness of Christ's action-but there is more to come. Hence Christ's sufferings effect us in our eschatology, certainly. But there is a sense of incompleteness in that the Parousia is about to come. Ralph writes ' There will come a day when the last martyr is killed, the last suffering is done, and the afflictions of the Messiah will be complete '. Until than we like Paul must suffer as Christ suffered for our suffering supports the church of Christ. As Paul's example in suffering inspires us to endure as well so our suffering inspires others as well. When we see a brother or sister struggle against , say cancer, in faith we are moved and inspired to move forward in our own walk with Jesus.

John Wesley wrote "That which is behind of the sufferings of Christ — That which remains to be suffered by his members. These are termed the sufferings of Christ, 1. Because the suffering of any member is the suffering of the whole; and of the head especially, which supplies strength, spirits, sense, and motion to all. 2. Because they are for his sake, for the testimony of his truth. And these also are necessary for the church; not to reconcile it to God, or satisfy for sin, (for that Christ did perfectly,) but for example to others, perfecting of the saints, and increasing their reward."