JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sexual Temptation

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

It seems to be a very strong part of the sin nature to take something that God created for joy, love and beauty and to cheapen it by using it for sin. The devil knows where each of us is vulnerable.

PRAY! PRAY! PRAY!

Read the Word and focus on it and speak and sing in spiritual psalms and hymns. It can be defeated even if it rears its ugly head in last attempts. We are new creatures in Christ!! Hallelujah!! Praise the Lord!!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that with any habit or vice we have to devote the time and effort into NOT devoting time and effort. I think that sexual **** starts with the mind first and then with the body. If we cast down those sexual thoughts we can overcome the sexual desires from controlling us. The Lord says, "Come out from among them" (2Cor6:17) which is the same concept as abstaining from sin in general. We tell our children not to hang around unsavory people because they will eventually start following their lifestyle. Well, if we engage in ***********, sexual fantasies and the likes, eventually we will become sexually active. So the best way to keep sexual desires from controlling us is to "come out from among" that stuff and think and pray God! If Jesus tells us to abstain, then it can be done.

I think that with any habit or vice we have to devote the time and effort into NOT devoting time and effort. I think that sexual **** starts with the mind first and then with the body. If we cast down those sexual thoughts we can overcome the sexual desires from controlling us. The Lord says, "Come out from among them" (2Cor6:17) which is the same concept as abstaining from sin in general. We tell our children not to hang around unsavory people because they will eventually start following their lifestyle. Well, if we engage in ***********, sexual fantasies and the likes, eventually we will become sexually active. So the best way to keep sexual desires from controlling us is to "come out from among" that stuff and think and pray God! If Jesus tells us to abstain, then it can be done.

I think that with any habit or vice we have to devote the time and effort into NOT devoting time and effort. I think that sexuallust starts with the mind first and then with the body. If we cast down those sexual thoughts we can overcome the sexual desires from controlling us. The Lord says, "Come out from among them" (2Cor6:17) which is the same concept as abstaining from sin in general. We tell our children not to hang around unsavory people because they will eventually start following their lifestyle. Well, if we engage in sexual fantasies and the likes, eventually we will become sexually active. So the best way to keep sexual desires from controlling us is to "come out from among" that stuff and think and pray God! If Jesus tells us to abstain, then it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

\

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=978

Answer:Sexual **** is difficult for people to control,because of the culture that we live in.Male and Female sexuality is all around us,Hollywood star glamourized by media,and their sexual perversion is being accepted as just a norm of life.

By nature,all of us has sexual desire,and before we are born again,all this sexual **** is just nothing but normal way of living..We live through it,for we have seen others do it,other who are more than we are in their society standing..This is all we are before,NO MORAL STANDING

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males?

In my day, morals were taught and we were taught to respect ourselves. The world we live in today markets sex. We see it on TV, in the movies, in songs we hear on the radio. We tend to mimic what we see and hear. Women show as much of their body as they can get away with

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Col 3:5 So put to death your worldly impulses: sexual sin, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry).

We live in a time when the world considers that what makes us feel good is what we should aim for and that denial of any of this is wrong. Our society is a "me" society where we are first to take care of our needs and our desires. Men are known for their sexual conquests. If they do not show an interest in these areas society says something is wrong with them. In some ways I feel that society is changing this area too, making it almost a must for a woman to prove herself sexually to become a better women. Virginity is not something that is looked upon as being a good thing but something to be made fun of instead. Ours schools even teach that it is ok to be a virgin but is not something which a normal healthy teenager is and that family's should not teach abstinence but rather "safe-sex"The main way of controlling our desires is to keep our mind on non-worldly, heavenly issues. We need to watch what we read, watch on tv, songs we listen to. What we put into our minds is what will be the controlling factor.

Col 3:5 So put to death your worldly impulses: sexual sin, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry).

We live in a time when the world considers that what makes us feel good is what we should aim for and that denial of any of this is wrong. Our society is a "me" society where we are first to take care of our needs and our desires. Men are known for their sexual conquests. If they do not show an interest in these areas society says something is wrong with them. In some ways I feel that society is changing this area too, making it almost a must for a woman to prove herself sexually to become a better women. Virginity is not something that is looked upon as being a good thing but something to be made fun of instead. Ours schools even teach that it is ok to be a virgin but is not something which a normal healthy teenager is and that family's should not teach abstinence but rather "safe-sex"The main way of controlling our desires is to keep our mind on non-worldly, heavenly issues. We need to watch what we read, watch on tv, songs we listen to. What we put into our minds is what will be the controlling factor.

After reading many of the answers to this question something hit me. We need to redefine in our minds and hearts what exactly love is. By knowing the true meaning...the love that God has for us...the love that He wants us to have for ourselves and others we finally will know that sexual **** is not the true love that many believe it is.

And we also live in a society that is ill...sick...purged with delight in evil. The numbers of children whom have been abused is beyond belief and unless we change this the world will continue down its ugly path.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, I need to ask. . .why are we replacing the word "****" with stars? I'm not trying to be adversarial--just curious as all get-out. I have been a Christian for almost 25 years, and I have never seen this before! Do most people consider "****" to be a bad word? I apologize if I've offended anyone, but the word is in the original question, so I feel okay typing it now--I've just never seen the **** thing before, so I am very confused.

My first reaction, of course, would be to blame the media. And while they DEFINITELY aren't helping matters, we must remember that none of these shows or ads were around in Paul's day, yet he still knew to warn about it. Also, in one of these lessons, either Colossians or Ephesians, I think, Dr. Ralph said that in Paul's day the culture was even MORE out of control and immoral than ours. So I think we need to look at the deep inner nature of humans. People want to feel loved and validated, and even though sexual attempts outside of marriage are misguided, most people delving into these experiences are looking to receive some sort of connection and satisfaction they are not getting in the proper ways God provided. Even when people have sex just for the most shallow, physical thrill of it, they are still relieving some sort of emptiness or boredom intended to be met by other means.

• 1 month later...

Since God created all things, he has given us an arena in which to exercise our sexual freedom and that is within the bonds of marriage, anything outside of this, constitutes sexual sin.I believe men and woman are equally lustful.We live in a culture which considers it alright to 'shop around' (sleep around) for a sexually compatibe wife.I think we lose the meaning of God's LOVE for one another when our relationship is based solely on sexual compatibility and ****. I think we must make a CONSCIOUS decision to honor God in this area of our lives, and ALL areas of our lives. In order to avoid lustful situations we must avoid all contact with things which are of a sexual nature, including but not limited to,filthy language, INTERNET sex sites,TV shows, movies, or books, which are sexually explicit.Sexual misconduct and sexual abuse. If one has a problem with lustful behavior or sexual sin pray alway for the Lord to work with us in this area of our lives and ask for forgiveness and seek redemption.If anyone is being abused sexually.I urge you to to bring it to your local authorities, or Pastor, and if you are afraid please pray that God will save your abuser from this immoral sin.Pray for the person who is abusing you. Most importantly pray for God to intervene and get some HELP.You are not the one who is being sexually sinful, your abuser is the one living a life of sin,controlled by lustful behavior.Do not be afraid.

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

(NKJV)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males?

All in all sexual **** is difficult for people. For some of those who have experienced having sex knows that the feeling is good. And if you like that feeling you will try to do anything to experience that feeling again

and again. Like a drug. When you understand what God says about it it will help. If you like it so much it could take a while before you give it up. In God's word we are taught how to live for Him. What is good

for

us and what is not. We learn that God allows us to make choices in life. By the guidance of the Holy Spirit we can make right choices. Nevertheless, it is ultimately our choice to choose to do what is right and good

our what is not good for us.

Why men have so much difficulty in that area I'm not really sure. I know I have my own theory but not sure if it's the correct one. All I know, is that we all learn from the word of God. God teaches us through the

Holy

Spirit. We have free will to freely choose the right things. Whatever we decide will have a consequence. Through the Holy Spirit all things are possible. So even though the men have such a difficult time in that area

there will be no excuse when we face God one day and He asks why we did what we did?

2. Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Understanding that when we face God one day there will be no excuse that we can give Him for the things we do here on earth. So yes we are sexual beings for a reason and a purpose but not our purpose but

God's.

How do we keep sexual desires from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Understanding the outcome might help.

• 2 months later...

a)The world view is that ****,impure living,sexual immorality is part of normal human desires, it is not so in scripture.Sex is for the marriage relationship, outside of this sex can be destructive and break up families causing much distress to adults &children. huh.gif

B)We need to put to death desires of earthly nature,greed,**** sexual immorality ,take responsibility for our actions &exercise sexual self-control,living a holy life with holy spirit as our source of power for that self-control. cool.gif

a)The world view is that ****,impure living,sexual immorality is part of normal human desires, it is not so in scripture.Sex is for the marriage relationship, outside of this sex can be destructive and break up families causing much distress to adults &children. huh.gif

B)We need to put to death desires of earthly nature,greed,**** sexual immorality ,take responsibility for our actions &exercise sexual self-control,living a holy life with holy spirit as our source of power for that self-control. cool.gif

• 1 year later...

Sexual **** is difficult for some because of a learned culture that says it is okay, one’s own interpretation of what the Bible says about sex, the thought that it is okay to have sex outside of marriage, or sex is okay between same genders. It is the thought process and mind set about sex and the inability to control fleshy desires. I have heard many say that men have to have sex, I do not know because I am not a man. I do believe that the sexual desires between men and women may differ. The Bible says we are to put to death our sinful nature and worldly things. We must avoid situations and circumstances that could cause us to give in to lustful situations.

• 2 years later...

​The sexual drive is so strong because without this drive people would not have had large families to guarantee the survival of the race. One might note that the size of families has reduced since contraceptives have been introduced and humans are able to control the size of the family. Sex is a gift from God but it can also be a curse. From the time of helen of Troy to the present, fights, feuds and   have been fought over sex.

Sexual desire can be controlled according to today's scripture by dying in Christ and being hidden with Christ in God.