JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Devote Yourselves to Prayer

Being watchful I believe involves more than just staying awake, but being alert to the spiritual forces out there, to who and what needs prayer. Thanksgiving is very often neglected in my prayers--I go right to a need. However, Paul seems to bathe all his prayers in thanksgiving. I really do take most of my blessings for granted and want to grow in the area of gratitude in prayer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct?

1. What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits?

Be devoted to prayer, be watchful and thankful.

2. If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life?

It would draw me closer to God and I would have more faith in what God will do.

3. What problems would they help correct?

It would correct my lazyness, I wouldn't fall asleep, and I would be encouraged that God will answer my prayers.

• 1 month later...

a)Paul encourages to 1/be persistent& not get distracted from by spiritual enemy drawing us to jobs etc or give up if not seeing answers to prayers said 2/be alert to what I am praying about,as we are communicating with our friend &heavenly father. & 3/be thankful of the many ways God is already answering our prayers,perhaps in ways we don

• 3 years later...

Q1. (Colossians 4:2) What guidelines does Paul give us to form our praying habits? If you put these into practice fully, how would they affect your prayer life? What problems would they help correct? 

Paul gives three guide lines for good prayer time:

a )persistence - prayer is not a one time thing but really it needs to be a daylong process. We need to make firstly a habit of prayer, of taking the same time every day to have time with Christ to pray for those close to  you, for the church leaders, for world leaders, for the weak in the world who are unable to help themselves  and finally for self. Secondly we need to pray often, all the time , in every aspect of life we should invite the Lord into our lives to guide us, to teach us and to deliver us from evil. 

B) As we pray we should be alert, we should not fall of to sleep for that is impolite but I am sure the Lord will forgive and it is very possible that if we ask the Holy spirit she will teach us  to pray as we sleep. For our prayers are only groanings for we no not what to pray without the Holy spirit. For Paul writes : In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." (Romans 8: 26)

and c) we should always be thankful to God when we pray and when we live. For he is the God of Grace He provides us with everything that we need. If from time to time we want more than quite likely that is more than we need. But we are always to remember, even in great suffering, that by the Grace of God we pass from death unto life with Jesus the Lord for  we have been redeemed by the gracious blood of the Lord. Praise be to God!!!!!!!!