JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Thorny riches, worries, and pleasures

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

Mat 13:22 As for what was sown among the thornbushes, this is the person who hears the word, but the worries of life and the deceitful pleasures of wealth choke the word so that it can't produce a crop.

Luk 8:14 The ones that fell among the thornbushes are the people who listen, but as they go on their way they are choked by the worries, wealth, and pleasures of life, and their fruit doesn't mature.

This to begin with will be a very personal answer for I believe what is most tempting to us is what will be the most dangerous. Of course I would like to be rich but it is not my life goal and pleasure is something everyone wants but for me worries and cares are the weeds in my life. It is as if I thrive on worries and have a very difficult time letting them go. Do I want them...NO...but also they seem to control my life. I struggle daily with giving my worries and fears to the Lord and then taking them back. I know part of it for me is a control issue. I want to be in control and no one can do it better than I can is my mindset. Worries can take over your life and fixating on them can take you further and further away from the relationship you have with the Lord. They begin to occupy all your time and steal your energy and rest. They steal any pleasure that the Lord may give to you. For me worry can be a crippling addiction...one that sneaks up on you.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, worries and fears are the biggest thorn. With riches (which I have never had monetarily) I could be thankful and rejoice, and care for others and give generously to my church for example. Pleasures can come from many forms, and not all are evil. I can get pleasure from learning, from my children or spouse for instance. I could be tricked by thinking alcohol could give me pleasure, when actually for me it is a depressant and an intoxicant. I am somewhat plagued by worries and fears. I cannot seem to find a job to support my family, cannot pay important bills, and worry for example about losing my home. I am reading Job and I know things could be much worse for me and others, although for me care is Christian and I care about my family and not having them suffer loss because of my unemployment. I pray about this all of the time, and I have for months. This has led me to get briefly upset that my prayer is not being answered, at least in any time that could help me now. I know many others are facing problems similar to mine, and I pray for them and you reading this, my local businesses and leaders to move our economy in a better direction. I have a college degree and years of professional experience, and I am ready to do God's Will which I hope for me includes work and supporting my family.

I believe riches are the largest snare. Looking for riches to buy pleasures....wanting the newest of the new--getting rid of perfectly good--though out-dated products.....Wanting more & more......

People think riches are the answer to all our problems, but more problems come with more riches & the more riches you acquire, if that is your goal, leaves no place for the Lord Jesus.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

Matthew 13:22 - The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.; Luke 8:14 - The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

I think that it difficult to choose which one is the most dangerous, but I believe if I have to pick one, I would pick "worries/cares". This saps the most strength from each of us. They are so many personal concerns that one can get so bogged down on, that they can not get close to the Lord. I know in my case, this is one area that I am continually battling. God is winning, because I am turning more of me over to Him.

They are linked. 1 Timothy 6:10a says, For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

People want money for different (and yet the same) reasons. They think more money will bring them freedom from worries & anxiety. They think money will ring them the ability to buy "pleasures", ie. expensive and more stuff. I do not think having money is dangerous if it is used to bring glory to God. But when it is used for selfish purposes only, it will drag us away from God.

I think they are all dangerous, Jesus said that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven, so I guess that riches are worse but pleasure causes a lot of people to falter and worries keep a lot of us from experiencing the joy that Christ brings through the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Shalom,

In my opinion, the most dangerous would be Riches. Riches is dangerous because some people rely solely upon their riches more than their need for God. How can someone love God with all their heart and mind and soul,if they love their riches and comforts more? We can't serve God and money.

Riches have an earthly mindset,its focus is on the things and pleaures of the world and not on the things of God. Those who are of the world,have a pride,and rely on their riches to give them security and those things becomes their god. Some people are deceived into thinking because of their riches they can buy their way into heaven. Having Riches is similar to having a false power, they put all their trust, thinking they receive power from their riches, never thinking they are in need of a saving power for the soul that comes from a Saviour. Riches can't save you, but Jesus can. Where ever your treasure lies, there your heart will be. Some people sell their souls for riches, spending all their time at the job,acummilating more money, instead of spending more quality time with their families. Jesus told the rich man, "go and sell all your possesions and then come follow me." The rich man looked very sad, because he had a lot of stuff that he was unwilling to let go of. Was this rich man willing to give up everything for God? Are we willing to give up everything for God. Jesus said, "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of an needle,than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God."The desire for riches in this life, is the hardest thing to give up, we must have more desire and a burning in our hearts for the riches of God.

2.Why do you think so?

Trusting heavily in your Riches, instead of fully trusting in the things of God, will lead you into a sure fall, the world's systems are falling away, there are no guarantees in this world for security apart from God, and when you lose it all, where will you be? If you trusted in your riches you will be literally bandrupt in the material world, and if one is without God, one will be completely lost with no understanding of the spiritual realities and benefits that are in God,that secures our souls. When you trust in God, you must be willing to give up the worldly ideals, and simplify whatever needs to be straightened out. God will provide.

As for the worries and cares, Jesus did say,"28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Mathew 11:28-30

These parables are to help Christ disciples recognize that there is a devil that snatches the truth from us when we are weak, that everyone in the world faces and struggles with everyday. We are to be aware of the pitfalls and obstacles that keep us unfruitful, no one can break into a strong mans house. When I look at these different soils, it shows me how far I've come in my own faith. Faith in Christ is a journey, a discovery of a new world, a world so amazing. The Kingdom of heaven is within us and only the heart can see it or enter into Him. We are to be on guard, guard our hearts, minds, souls and keep the faith and trust in God no matter what our circumstances are.

Much love, shalom, Lory

All three are dangerous and ave the same consequence - however, I believe that the one that has the greatest danger is "RICHES" with "PLEASURES" running close behind them and in last place, among these three would be "WORRIES/CARES. I feel this way because riches and pleasure have the tendency to not only "COMPETE" with God but "REPLACE" Him in the lives of many. "WORRIES/CARE" may have the same results as "RICHER" and "PLEASURES" - however they "WORRIES/CARES" have a greater opportunity to turn us back to God than either "RICHES" or "PLEASURES".

B)

Worries/cares seem to be the thorn that is most dangerous because anxiety or worry shows a lack of faith and the cares of the world can be greater than our love for God.

I think that the most dangerous of the thorns that Jesus mentioned, would be riches. It would be to easy to replace our God with stuff. God said you can not serve two master, you would love one and hate the other. You can't put you trust in stuff, God is the only one we can put our trust in. Stuff can be stolen, it can rust, it can be eaten by moths. But God is always there for you and always will be. :rolleyes:

I think all of them are potentially very serious matters. The lure of money is always a big one that Satan uses to keep our thoughts and efforts in places they shouldn't be. Pleasures of the flesh are a huge temptation in today's world as well. Sex is everywhere we look; in advertisements, magazine articles, tv shows, books, movies, even when directed towards young people. We are all constantly bombarded with the idea that we should have nearly instant gratification of every carnal desire as well. Whether it be clothes, food, cars, vacations, houses or any one of many other things that we could list. As bad as all that is, I believe that the most dangerous of the thorns is worries/cares. The possibility that we can let our worries and fears overcome our thoughts and control our actions speaks directly to the heart of our Christian experience. At issue in this case is whether we really trust God or not. Matthew 6:25-34 tells us that God esteems man above all other created things. It tells us He knows everything we need and what's best for us. It tells us the ways in which God cares for His other creations and so how much better will He care for us? If we really are who we say we are and believe what we say we believe, then we have to take this lesson to heart. That we should be worried about this or that, or that we are inadequate to certain tasks/situations that come up, that we don't deserve blessings in our lives, these are some of the most insidious lies Satan uses to attack us. He can only have power over us in this way if we give it to him.

Riches, worries or pleasures? Since with riches come worries and the greater availability of pleasures, it seems to me that riches are the most dangerous. Riches bring on worries that are not shared by those of more modest means. Riches and the pursuit of, the maintenance of and the storing up of, are not generally troubles of those who are not so financially blessed. There are many who are rich who realize the weight and responsibility of their wealth and use it to improve the circumstances of those around them, but that is the exception not the rule. And riches seems to attract the ideas of pleasures that those of modest means can't indulge in.

And pleasures seem to evolve from one level to another until they become the main meal instead of a dessert. Modest folks don't expect dessert after every meal, but the rich do.

This is not to say that the poor cannot be caught up in the same carnal traps. Many who are poor are striving for wealth and their pleasures, while not as high dollar as those of the rich can be equally as dangerous.

Galatians 5:23 tells us that one of the fruits of the Spirit is "temperance"-(KJV) or in my ESV, the word temperance is replaced with "self-control". Those traits are not of the flesh, they are of the Spirit. In verses 17 through 21, the Scriptures tell us that the "desires of the flesh are against the Spirit", they are diametrically opposed to the Spirit, so if we walk in the Spirit, feeding ourselves things of the Spirit, denying ourselves, we will not walk in the flesh. Verse 24 says that if we belong to Christ we will need to crucify the flesh. And that is not a heady thing to contemplate but it is a daily work of the Spirit if we want to be led by the Spirit.

I guess the bottom line is the old adage, moderation in all things. And the Apostle Paul said it best in Philippians 4:12-13 (ESV) when he said, "I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." That is a lesson for all.

In my opinion, all 3 are dangerous. I would not rank them in any order. All 3 can make us take our focus away from Jesus.

Many people with riches (wealth) think they obtain their wealth through our own efforts when actually it is God who gave them the power to get wealth. They think that just because they have money and loads of it, they are untouchable and their lives will always be problem free because their money can help them get out of any difficult situation. Thus they do not have faith in God. Others enjoy having money so much they spend their time over working to increase their wealth, and spending little or no time with God at all.

As long as we are still breathing we will always have worries. For some, worrying becomes a way of life and they spend most or all of their time worrying. They become very negative people, difficult to live with and be friends with. Instead of bringing their problems to God and trusting him with it, they spend time worrying about their worries. Whatever faith they have in God will diminish over time because of their worries.

When we spend too much time seeking pleasures, we become spiritually bankrupt. We put ourselves and our desires first - we do not deny ourselves and put Jesus or others first. We become insular and selfish, and even greedy.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

I think worries/cares is the most dangerous because it can encompass all three thorns.

Why do you think so?

When you worry, you are not trusting in your faith in God. You are not trusting in God to supply your every need. You feel you must take charge and focus all your attention on your wants and needs. Then when you get the things you want and need, you focus on keeping them and getting more and you forget or dismiss your need for God. Along with Matthews 6:33, we must remember that God will supply all of our needs if you just have faith and believe in Him.

I would say that all of the above are equally dangerous. When our hearts lean more toward the riches and pleasures of the world, or we get caught up in worries and forget that Christ came to bare these burdens for us, and we are to trust Him with all these things.As brothers and sisters in Christ we should be helping one another to weed out the thorns before they take hold.Planting the seed is one thing but water and nurturing is also required for sustenance and growth.

I personally think that worries/cares can be the most dangerous. Worry affects our faith. After we pray and make our requests known to God, those worries should cease. But they don't. We often want control of a situation and we can't control it, we worry again. We have taken back control of the situation. So the prayer we prayed is meaningless. I know it is somewhat trite.... But "Let Go and Let God." Harder to do than one might think.

I would suggest that "riches" is the number one thorn that we struggle with the most. First of all, Jesus mentioned it first and the others follow it. Paul mentioned in 1 Timothy 6:9 "Those who are eager to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and into numerous thoughtless and hurtful cravings that pulnge people into destruction and ruin. For the love of moey is the root of all evils." I think the thorn or worries tend to hit all of us because of our maturity in the faith. The thorn of pleasures is a danger too but not as much because God wants us to enjoy our life not live martyrly.

We each have different personalities, gifts, backgrounds and will be drawn away from God by different things. If we are frightened, anxious and worry about things out of our control, we can try and feel safe by seeking approval from people, trying to be something we are not or try and control everyone associated with us: spouses, children, relatives and friends. We will look to everything but God.

Wealth can provide security -- especially to people who have been very poor. They have no trust or faith that tomorrow there will be sufficient food, water or clothing so they grab what they can today. These feelings can continue even after we feel materially secure -- "I never want to be poor or hungry again." Others equate wealth with power -- politicians here in Africa and in other countries grasp as much as they can while they are in power and then use the wealth to stay in power and seem willing to do anything to keep it including letting their own people go without food, education, health care. Pleasures and hedonism cover up fear and anxiety as well -- hedonism keeps the focus on oneself -- our own egos, desirability or escape from pain -- which is why 12-step recovery programs are spiritual programs that require turning our lives over to God or a higher power. Only through God can we place our faith and trust where it really belongs.

Also, we must be careful not to judge others and where they are on their spiritual journeys. Who knows what is really in someone's heart and what God has planned for them. We are to love them as they are and help them find their way back to God's Kingdom if they have lost their ways.

Worries and cares are the opposit of faith. Since faith is the basis of our relationship with God, lack of it due to worries is worrisome and more dangerous.

riches can be dangerous but may not and that is why Jesus said that "it will be difficult" for a richman to enter the kingdom of God. He did NOT say it will be IMPOSSIBLE for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Go. I have seen where rich people have used their riches to serve God.

As for pleasures, they can be dangerous if they prevent us from serving God faithfully.

In conclusion, all three can be dangerous if any of them replaces the place of God in our lives.