JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Maximum Growth in Good Soil

Shade, sun, moisture, nutrients and protection all are important factors to consider for maximum growth in good soil agriculturally speaking. I don't think it is much different spiritually speaking. Spiritual armor for protectiion, fellowship with other believers for teaching and accountability, time in prayer and the Word for nutrition and faith all contribute to maximum growth spiritually. These factors and the level of consistent and diligent application will determine whether a harvest is 30,60 or 100 fold.

I think this is well said. Staying in close fellowship with the Savior, Jesus Christ, through is word and prayer is vital! Continual obedience leads to growth, intimacy, and fruifulness in God!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 13:23) Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom? What might be the reasons for 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold growth?

One who understands what is being taught, studies Gods word, is faithful, fellowships and learns from other believer as well as shares with other what Christ has done in there lifes. Like someone says in another post we are all given different abilitys and no one ability is greater than the other but God uses some in different ways and in turn produces more growth.

Q3. (Matthew 13:23) Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom? What might be the reasons for 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold growth?

Some factors which make a disciple good soil for growth of the word or message of the Kingdom is his/our willingness to yield and submit to the Holy Spirit, basically our obedience determines our altitude. Naturally, if you believe and understand you will be odedient, becuase in essence you understand and grasp the consequences of disobedience. But even better is knowing that the Father has only the best in mind for you. However, even in knowing that takes trusting Him, which means you must spend time getting to know Him. Spending time with the Father, along with obedience, will determine the amount of your growth, whether is is 30, 60 and 100 fold.

The factors that make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the Word or message of the kingdom are having a receptive heart,continuing in faith and holiness,

having the fruit of the Spirit,and using one's spiritual gifts.

Reasons for 30-fold,60-fold,and 100-fold growth might be the time we are willing to invest in the Kingdom of God.

As with a good seed they need good soil, sun, water, food, and weeded daily. So the seedlings grow in strength.

A good disciple needs to listen and understand the word of God and what Jesus has been telling us about the Holy Spirit and the kingdom.

as for what is sown on good soil, this is the one who hears and understands it he indeed bears s fruit and yields in one case a hundred fold in another sixty and another 30 (Matthew 13v23)

I believe that the preceding verses in Matthew 13 (also Mark 4 and Luke 8) give us insight on the things that can cause unfruitfulness in our very own lives -- hardness of heart (path), lack of commitment to God (shallow soil), and distractions from serving God with all of our hearts, mind, soul, and strength (thorns). At any time, we can experience these things unless we are ever working to keep the soul in our hearts soft, fertile, and clean so that God's fruit can grow and produce a harvest. The overall factor (as mentioned in Luke 8) is perseverance!

"But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

Good soil is soft soil (vs. hard soil): Continuing Receptiveness to God's Word

I need God to till the soil of my heart to make it soft and pliable (receptive) so the Word will constantly take root, and to break up the still hard places in my heart. I must want this, I must pray for it! for God to continue to "break" me -- i.e. the packed-tight, closed-shut places in me ever, ever so I am more and more pliable, soft and bending toward His Will. Prayer for personal transformation can help us to have fertile soil. I can make myself do things or appear a certain way but appearances only last for a short time. Real change must come from within!

Good soil is deep soil (vs. shallow soil): Lasting Commitment to God's Rule

Secondly, I need God's Word to go down deeper and deeper in my heart and soul. I also need to examine my heart for any rocks that may have become lodged there, and are keeping God's Word from going down deep, and keeping fruit from growing and thriving. Rocks of selfishness and selfish-ambition, pride, unforgiveness, judgmental attitudes, and lack of repentance -- anything that hardens my heart toward God and other people is a rock that inhibits my fruitfulness; anything that prevents me from standing for God and being like Christ in times of pressure, persecution or stress. Do I have rocky places that are keeping me from maturing, being fruitful or being clearly evident as a child of God? I must be careful to ever examine my soil so that it remains good, seeking to remove any new rocks, and praying for God to help me to both see and dislodge these rocks in my heart, and to become increasingly committed to Him! (O Lord, I pray that you will help me!)

Good soil is clear soil (vs. thorny soil): Consistent Yielding to God's Disciplining

I need to ask God to help me constantly prune the thorns that may have grown in my heart -- particularly in regard to **** and self-pleasure. This requires work and discipline! The Bible says that apart from Jesus, we can not bear good fruit (John 15). This scripture also says that we need God to prune us: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (O Lord, that I would come close to You for constant pruning, that You would be my gardener and remove every thorn and thistle in my life that is choking the growth of Your Word and inhibiting the maturation of the fruit that Your Spirit is growing in me!!)

What accounts for the 30-fold, 60-fold and 100-fold growth?

the Holy Spirit, who has increasing dominion in our hearts and lives when we close to God in worship and prayer, and keep ourselves holy and pure.

I also agree with other respondents who noted caring and nurturing, fellowship with other believers, and the grace of God.

Four factors are essential in making a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom: 1) Obeying the will of God; 2) Being sensitive to the movement of the Holy Spirit in your life; 3) Staying in touch with God through systematic Bible study and regular/frequent prayer; 4) Being consistent in living our one's faith.

The consistent application of all of the about factors would be ample reasons for 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold growth accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Factors that make a disciple especially good soil is to receive the Word, understand it, apply to one's life and remain obedient. I'm not sure about the fold growth, but I do know that we reap what we sow. Therefore, I think it is how we may apply the Word to our lives, in reading and application of the Word to our every day life. It's when we really get it. I think we can also grow in understanding of the Word and this can cause our folds to eventually increase.

Factors that make a disciple especially good soil for growth are: (1) complete submission to God's will, waiting on Him for guidance and directions; (2) awareness of the gift of the Spirit, talents and resources entrusted to us, and making sure that we put these into optimal use in accordance with His leading; (3) humility, knowing that ultimately, it is God Himself by His grace who directs our path where to sow and find the good soil where to plant His Word, that it is by His grace that changes a person's life; (4) it is therefore with much prayers and supplication that we go through our task sowing the seeds of His Word.

THE SEEDS THAT FALL ON GOOD GROUND ARE PEOPLE WHO HEAR AND UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE........THEY PRODUCE AS MUCH AS WHAT WAS PLANTED.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 13:23) Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom?

Factors that make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the kingdom are a life of study and meditation on the Word of God, praying , keeping a close relationship with God and living a life of witness and service to those who God may send your way.

What might be the reasons for 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold growth?

It is possible that the reasons for the 30-fold, 60-fold and 100-fold are the many lives that will be touched when the fruit of the Spirit is manifested in and through God

• 4 weeks later...

When that believer fully understands the message of the gospel and is willing to do what is necessary to bring about that change in their life. Having the faith but also doing the work, faith without works is dead. Back to St. John 15: 1-4

" I am the true vine and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth no fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it might bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine, no more can ye except ye abide in me."

This passage tells us that as we bear fruit the father continues to prone, purge, clip away those things in our lives that hinders a bigger crop. Anything that is not of God he takes away, when we become believers everything about our old nature doesn't change in that moment, he works with us and on us in order for us to be perfected. This is why the work of the Holy Spirit is so vital. He leads and guides us into all truth, this is the reason He is poured out on us, He comes upon us, He is given unto us, ad we are clothed with Him. His fire will burn away all the imperfections in our lives

Understanding the word and having the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives will GAURANTEE a bigger and better harvest (MANUFACTURE'S GAURANTEE).

Walking in our calling (Spiritual Gifts) will result in 30,60 and an hundred fold harvest. If am especially good with teaching the word to young persons, then my area has already been defined by my calling. The most good will be done in the area I've been blessed in.

• 2 weeks later...

Factors that make a disciple especially good soil for growth are to have complete submission to God's will, waiting on Him for guidance and directions, being aware of the gifts of the Spirit, and making sure that we put these into good use in accordance with His leading; humility and being humble, knowing that ultimately, it is God Himself by His grace who directs our path where to sow and find the good soil where to plant His Word, that it is by His grace that changes a person's life, it is therefore with much prayers and supplication that we go through our task sowing the seeds of His Word.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 13:23) Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom? What might be the reasons for 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold growth? To me when you receive and understand the Word you have been broken, you have truly repented and turn to God in trust and dependency. You receive the Holy Spirit and that is when you realize that God is changing you heart and your desires toward Him, you want to serve the Lord for His purpose. The growth production may be determined by the gift or responsibility that God has given to a person.

• 2 months later...

When we allow the holy spirit to direct our lives, fruits of the spirit begin to show in us. Having a hunger for righteousness causes one to read the word and desire to grow in God. The manifold growth comes from one's personal spiritual gift at work in the individual.

Q3. (Matthew 13:23) Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom?

The factors are the acceptance of the Holy Spirit in ouir life and the efective use of the spiritual gifts we are given by God.

Reasons might be the diversity of the spiritual gifts as given to us by the Lord.

• 1 month later...

Even good soil can have factors that hinder growth in various parts of the field, or make some areas grow taller and fuller wheat. What factors make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the word or message of the Kingdom?

A heart of Faith, Humility, Brokenness, Receptive and Repentance makes good soil.

Different levels of commitment, obedience, humility submission and faith.

1) Factors that make a disciple especially good soil for the growth of the world or message of the Kingdom are a good heart, hearing the word, understanding the word and going out and get others. We are to use our fruits we bear which are tools that help build up the church.

2) When we use the fruit we bear, we should produce more fruits and they produce fruit and so on. Some will produce more and some will produce less.

• 1 year later...

Soil that produces good harvest definitely takes work! A fruitful disciple will have to tend the soil of his heart in order to provide the optimum environment for spiritual growth.

• You need the on-going effort to expose and remove the natural bedrocks of pride and rebellion.
  • You need the investment of time in well-nourished soil that’s steadily fed and replenished with the truths of the Word through Bible study.
  • You need the refreshing flowing waters of the Spirit to provide the consistent moisture of direction and correction.
  • You need discernment and diligent attention to uproot thorny weeds of unbelief or doubt that clamor for space in your life, and to pick off the invading pests of distraction and interference that will stunt or destroy growth.
  • You need to site your garden in an open space free of tangled or overhanging preferences and desires that block communication with the light of the Son.
  • You have to identify and break up the fallow ground of self-centered attitudes/thoughts in areas that have never been yielded to the Spirit.

My little summer garden that’s growing right now requires my attention and labor most every day in order to keep it healthy and productive. And abundant spiritual growth that produces plentiful good fruit takes great effort and sacrifice!

Ultimately, we know that the planting and growing of each person's spiritual "garden" is only accomplished through the power and enablement of the Spirit, but we have been given active responsibilities of co-operation/participation in nurturing that process. Consistent attention to your “soil” conditions will automatically result in deeper stronger roots and vibrant maturing plants. I think the degree of growth depends greatly on 1)our degree of submission & commitment to God’s instructions and will, 2)our willingness to die to self-interests in following after our Rabbi Yeshua, and 3)our humble obedience in faith to the Spirit’s leading.

• 7 months later...

Some features that make a disciple good soil are the fruit of the spirit (love, peace, joy, kindness, longsuffering, goodness, faithfulness, patience, gentleness) being visible and use of one’s spiritual gifts to edify the body of Christ. The reasons for growth might be acceptance of the Word and continuous study, spiritual growth and maturity, change in behavior, attitude, and thinking, putting aside worldliness, and being receptive to and living the Word and things of God.

• 3 months later...

I imagine a person who is able to convince themselves to abandon their own belief system and philosophy and become childlike in their acceptance of the Kingdom message.  They dedicate themselves to understanding and applying Kingdom principles to their daily lives.  They have surrendered their self-rule and allow the Holy Spirit free access to their heart and mind.  The exponential growth could be explained by the fact that these disciples are functioning the way they were originally created to function.  They also have the creator behind the steering wheel, working through them, knowing how to get the very best out of who He created them to be.    

• 1 year later...

Well, it can't be the condition of the heart because all three folds indicate this is the good soil representing a good heart that receives the Word. I would feel lead to say that the amount of the fold we produce is how much we use His Word. Alot of people may have a good heart, but are not doing as much as they could with what they receive from the Lord. Others are putting forth more effort by allowing to be lead of the Spirit but may not be yielding as much. Then there are others who are on fire for God and want to make a difference in the lives of many people and expressing His love by fully yielding to Him and being lead of His Spirit. A thought just came to me. When we think of the amount of yielding fruit, could we compare how much a tree yields fruit to the amount in how much we yield ourselves to God in order to bear more fruit? My guess is that the more we yield to Him, the more fruit we bear.

• 9 months later...

Luke 8:15 "But as for that in the good soil, these are the ones who, when they hear the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patient endurance" (NRSV).

Just to hear and understand in a good heart, the Word will germinate a harvest.  So it is the same with the right seed in good ground.

I know this year we planted some corn seed in our garden that didn't come up; we replanted with good seed.  The second time they came up

"Paul planted, Apollas watered; but God gave the increase" (1 Cor. 3:6).

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing (Jn. 15:5).

Once the seed are planted, it is in the hand of another power if they are to germinate--"for without me ye can do nothing" (Jn. 15:5).

I grew up on a two-horse-farm.  It was called so for the acreage that could be worked with two horses.  We had then just two cash crops: cotton and corn.  Our goal of the year was to get the cotton (our main crop) to the gin.  Therefore, that crop was considered "harvestable."

There were certain grounds (areas) of the farm that could be considered good and no-so-good soil.  It was the better that the cash crop was planted.

"The soil determines the outcome" (RWP).

The good soil (heart) produces fruit: "fruit of the Holy Spirit", and "the result or fruitfulness of our spiritual gifts"--"the tools to build up the Church, the body of Christ."1

B.

Wither it is the 30, 60, or the 100 fold had to do with using what a person had been given.  The Parable of the Talents in Mt. 25:14-30 makes mention of this principle.

Mat. 25:15 "And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability;and straightway took his journey."

It is the ability of the soil to grow and yield the harvest.  Maybe it is the same with the ability of the person to use what he/she has been given.  My ability may be lesser than another person but still there is a certain yield I am expected to grow with what I have been given.

A1. Dr. Wilson