New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Achin', Breakin' Valentineby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Smiling, she hands him a red envelope, obviously a Valentine. Who is she? I wonder. A neighbor? A good friend? She obviously has affection for him. The mechanic comes back and mutters to me, "My girlfriend is looking daggers at her. That was my ex-wife."
She still loves him. I can see that.
I think of another Lover bringing a message to one estranged. This Valentine isn't written with pen and paper but with lacerated flesh and oozing blood. The inscription on the outside reads, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
"Thanks," we mumble embarrassedly, as we glance over to see if our "ex" has spotted our current distraction close at hand. "That was real nice of you," we say.
We read the words inside: "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." It is love that wrote the Valentine. Pained but giving love. Forgiving love. Love filled with hurt, but love nevertheless.
I watch the young woman drive off, still smiling. But behind her smile, I'm sure, is a lump in her throat. I wonder if she'll give him another card next Valentine's Day. I wouldn't bet against it.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format -- currently 48 books in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- Abraham, Faith of
- Jacob, Life of
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- David, Life of
- Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134)
- 28 Advent Scriptures (Messianic)
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Christmas Incarnation (Mt, Lk)
- Sermon on the Mount (Mt 5-7)
- Luke's Gospel
- John's Gospel
- Seven Last Words of Christ
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Romans 5-8 (Christ-Powered Life)
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Colossians, Philemon
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 &2 Timothy, Titus
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Grace: Favor for the Undeserving
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper: Disciple's Guide
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus