JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q24. Criticizing

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have something to say about someone, we should tell it only to that person. If they don't repent, we must bring 1 to 2 witnesses etc.. It's easy to talk behind someone's back than to confront the person. Usually selfish motives are at the root of back talking - if we confronted the person we fear they might put us in our rightful place. However, any legitimate complaints (without selfish motives) should be told, in love, to the person. It's tempting because we want someone else to agree with us and feed our ego.

Currently, I'm in a situation where I need to tell someone that they're offending me. It's been going on for a couple of years. I've prayed, I've asked the Holy Spirit to correct it by pressing the heart of that person, and I've relented in saying anything because I can't find a loving way to tell them except for just saying it straight, but I fear the person will become very angry. I've recently resolved to tell them straight and let the chips fall where they may. I will pray the Holy Spirit guides my tongue and guards their heart. I plan on telling them this evening. Pray for me.

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

Only Christ and His words will be our judge. If I think I can sit in His place, I have put myself above the law. Not only am I not fulfilling the Royal Law, I am lifting myself above it.

There is a time and a place to deal with our brother's sin (and I'm looking forward to the discussion for the end of James 5). But when we condemn ('bad-mouth') others, we are setting ourselves up in Christ's place, which is above the law.

That is what Satan tried to do in the first place. That is a sin of pride. It's no wonder James' thoughts on humbling ourselves and submitting to God, are in such proximity to the caution against criticism and badmouthing our neighbours.

I think it's tempting because, as I have already said, when I judge others, I am exercising pride. I think that is the one of the strongest temptations for any individual. We wrestle with pride, because it is a sin that Satan understands very well from first-hand experience. It was used in the Garden of Eden against Adam and Eve, and it is still rampant today, appealing to the very core of our flesh.

Being critical of another is not showing LOVE. We are suppose to love our neighbor as ourselves. Now, would we speak of ourselves as we do others? I think not!! Therefore we must put all our efforts into prayer for themand not judge them. It is like badmouthing God and His intelligence.

We see the fault of others but fail to see our own. We are all sinners saved by grace..

In what way does bad mouthing a neighbor cause you to be judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad mouth others do you think?

How can I judge if I am quilty of the same thing? If I judge someone else when I am quilty then I am setting myself above the law which says love your neighbor and pray for those who persecute you. Judge not lest you be judged. John 5:22 says "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgement unto the Son". I may make myself judge in my own eyes but since I can't back it up with the power to be that judge it is false because I myself will be judged by the One who has the authority to judge.

I think it is tempting to bad mouth others when we have been hurt or feel that an injustice has done to us or to make ourselves feel good about ourselves when we don't want to admit that we deserve judgement.

Please pray for Terri Schiavo and the Schindler family today and for Michael Schiavo. Praise God for His mercy on us all.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

The law tells us to love one another and treat the other as we would like to be treated. There's not one of us who wants to be bad-mouthed! When we go ahead and do this anyway, we are saying this law is not good--that I don't have to do this--it's not important! That is judging the law. We are setting ourselves up as judges of what is right and what is not. That's not our perogative! We do not have all the facts and judge from outward appearances. :o

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others? We think by stepping on another, we can climb above him/her and thus be considered "better!" We are to obey His law, no matter how tempted we are! We need to pray for His strength and power to overcome the evil urge from satan! The love chapter, I Corinthians 13, tells us what we are supposed to be and do. :wub:

In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

you are giving your oppniion, when most of the time you don't have all the facts. in doing this you give other people ideas that may lead to punishments undeserving. also GOD is the only one that is suppose to stand in judgement.

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others,do you think?

maybe it makes you look better, it avoids people from talking about you.but remember whatever you give you shall recieve.

4a.) (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

4a.) We are forgetting from whence we came. Sinners saved by grace. That same grace is available to all, yet when we slander or judge, we are forgetting the judgement that was on our heads before redemption in Christ. "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

4a.) (4:11-12) Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

4a.) It is the sinful nature that dwells in us and is in conflict with our new selves. "For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death." (Romans 7:5)

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you

to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others,

do you think?

If we are to loves others we should not badmouth them. We have no right to judge others cause their is something in them we don't like. We are to show love at all times. Or we are saying the law doesn't work. :unsure:

Its very tempting to open your mouth when you shouldn't when someone says something that is mean or hurtful to you. But we need to put a guard over our mouth and watch what comes out of it. :rolleyes:

When we speak against someone we are setting in judgment of that person. We cannot be a keeper of the law and a judge of the law. We live by the law there fore we are to uphold the law and it is not to speak evil of our brothers and sisters. We are to love our brothers and sisters and say only those things that are uplifting about them. If you don't have anything good to say then don't say nothing at all. It is better to keep your mouth shut then to offend that person and try to rebuild what love that is there between the family of God. We don't need to help Satan destroy our love for one another and give him tools to work with. We need to keep our mind on God our head in the word to learn more and leave the others alone if you can't be of help to them.

We talk bad about others to make us look good or to fit in with the other person that is speaking bad about the person. It is not right we should not do it and God is not pleased when we do this. If you have a fault or problem with a family of God member take it to them do not tell others. That is how so many people get hurt today in churches and will not come back. Let us do the royal law and love our neighbors as we love ourselves and I know it is not always easy but it is necessary if we are to please God.

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

Bad-mouthing someone is the same as cursing someone. Words are powerful.

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

I think it is because we want to feel righteous or worthy and to bad-mouth another person, gives us a false sense of self-worth.

Bad mouthing a neighbor is against the royal law. Whe we criticise, we become judges. Jesus told the people to cast the first stone who was without sin and no one dared to cast a stone. Instead of criticising, we must practise loving. If we love somebody, we forgive and forget all thier mistakes. Let us look at them with the eyes of the Lord. Then we won't behave as judges and critics.

Basic nature tells us that we are better than the other person. It comes by instinct. So bad mouthing temptation comes easy to us. We have to learn to submit ourself to the Lord to deny ourself and let the Lord handle our affairs. Then this temptation will not come to us. :)

In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbour cause you to be a judge of

the Law?

By bad-mouthing a neighbour, what you are really doing is bringing an

offence to the Word of God. Instead of being an offence to the Word , you

should be honouring the Word, by lifting up your neighbour.

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others?

It is tempting because , in doing so, you hope that you will be seen in a

better light, or in a superior position than the one you are offending. Instead

of honouring the body, you are dishonouring the body causing division and

friction to the other members of the body.

Q4

1. I believe James makes it very clear,"Back biting, bad mouthing your brother or neighbor is speaking against the low and of course James tells us we are judging the law by NOT keeping it. There is but one Judge. We are to be wittnesses, not judges. Keep our tongue under subjection.

2. We are tempted to bad mouth others because of jealousy, envoy, and hurt. If you harbor any one of these, you are out of the will of our Heavenly Father.

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

I guess because you are putting yourself above them. The only way I can judge you is by being over you as a Judge is over us.

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

Because maybe we were hurt by this person. It doesn't make it right though.

In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

When we "bad-mouth" someone, then it stands to reason we have the attitude that they have done something wrong and we are in effect becoming not only judges but law givers. By bad-mouthing others, we are attempting to make ourselves look better in relation to them. It always seems to be easier to bring others down to travel the low road than to take the high road ourselves.

By bad mouthing a neighbour I am taking what I think is right (The law and I am the judge)

I am judging the person on my concept of the law.

Humility~~NO. Perhaps I am trying to get even from what she has said or done to me. I want to try and impose my belief or ideal on that person. Iam right ~~ Of Course~~~ the other person is wrong!!!!!! Human nature. Boy Do I need to work on this.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

WHEN I BAD MOUTH SOMEONE I'M SETTING MYSELF UP AS JUDGE OVER THE SITUATION . I'M EXERCISING CONTROL AND BASICALLY SAYING THAT THE LAW ISNT CAPABLE OF HANDLING THIS SITUATION; THAT I CAN DO BETTER.IN OTHER WORDS I'M NOT TRUSTING GOD TO VINDICATE ME SO I TRY TO TAKE HIS PLACE AS JUDGE OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I'M NOT WALKING IN LOVE BUT HARBORING RESENTMENT TOWARD OTHERS.GOD IS THE ONLY TRUE JUDGE AND I MUST SUBMIT THE SITUATION OVER TO HIM.

FOR ME , IT'S TEMPTING TO BAD MOUTH OTHERS WHEN I'M HURT AND FEELING FRUSTRATED BY THEIR ACTIONS. IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER BUT THEN IT MAKES OTHERS LOOK WORSE.BAD MOUTHING OTHERS IS NOT KIND AND ONLY CONTINUES THE CYCLE OF HURT AND PAIN. I'M LEARNING TO CAST MY CARES ON THE LORD AND NOT ON OTHERS. I TRY INSTEAD TO PRAY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HURT ME INSTEAD OF BAD MOUTHING THEM......GOD BLESS..

• 1 month later...

By bad-mouthing another person we are not loving them as God commands us too. Sometimes we just get caught up in what others might be saying about someone and fail to see the plank in our own eye!