JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q24. Criticizing

When we bad mouth our neighbour, we are breaking the Law, :( which is the word of God, and the word of God say's that we are to love our neighbours.

When we judge someone we better be sure that we aren't doing the same thing as they are, we need to take the log out of our own eye before we try and take the speck out of our brother's eye. ;)

THANK YOU JESUS FOR SETTING US ON THE STRAIGHT PATH, AMEN. :lol:

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

When you bad-mouth a neighbour it causes you to be a judge of the law in that you are setting yourself up as a judge & it is breaking 2 of God's laws: not to spread slander among yr people & secondly to love yr neighbour as yourself. You are seeing yourself as better than that person. :)

Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

I think some people who bad-mouth others feel inferior themselves & feel that putting them down elevates their own self worth to a degree. Also it could be a jealousy within them of the person they are bad-mouthing. As many different people as there are in this world, I am sure there are as many reasons why people do this. Everyone is unique as would be their reasons in their mind of why they do it. People are very complex beings. :)

• 2 months later...

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

Jesus summarised the law as love for God and love for our neighbour. If we fail to love we break God's command. (Mathew 22:37-40).

When we are about to criticise someone we should remember God's command of love and say something good instead.

John.

• 2 months later...

Being a mere mortal, I always have that tendency to justify my faults by pointing out those of others. In doing so I am being a judge of them, that is, I am being critical of them. Since there is one Judge, I am in effect trying to be God. Whoops! There's only one God.

• 2 weeks later...

When we bad mouth someone we are seeing them through judgemental eyes with rules that are not of God, but of the fleshly nature. We feel that some people don't meet up to our standard of living the Christian life and tend to think that we know everything there is to know. When we have this attitude it pulls us away from God and closer to the world and evil.

• 2 months later...
Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

If I am bad mouthing some one else then I have assumed the power of judging them. I judge them by looking at their lives and critcizing them, by putting my thoughts on their lives and their shortcomings instead of my own. I do not have the right or the power to critcize someone else. If I spend that time I spend on criticizing them on my own life I will find that I have enough to do to keep my own life straight. The time I spend criticizing them I should spend on working on my love walk. Bad mouthing someone is a sure sign that the love walk is lacking greatly.

It is easy to fall into the temptation to bad mouth others or criticize others. For one thing it is simply the human nature. Its easier to point out anothers faults than it is to deal with our own.

If you can't say something good then don't say nothing at all. If we live by this, alot of us would be taking a vow of silence!

• 2 months later...

Bad mouthing a neighbor can make us a judge of the law because we have predestined a decision based on limited information and knowledge.

In the situation where there is a difference of opinion, bad mouthing others can make us feel like we are right.

• 1 month later...
the law of love is not being operaable in ones life w hen you sit in judgement of your neighbor It is evident that a person is not secure in God's love himself. One often lasshes out to the person nearest to you. They become the object of your judgement. The eye and the lips really covey what is in our thoughts and our hearts. I need the Holy Spirit to ask God in the morning that I may show love and not sit in judgement of others. I am reminded often during the day to be aware of this command.

• 5 weeks later...

1) When we badmouth a neighbor, we are sitting in judgement and not working in love.

We are to love our neighbors as ourselves. God is the judge.

2) We are tempted to badmouth others if we have been hurt (especially in Church). We

really need to guard our mouths and watch what comes from our lips.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

Bad-mouthing a neighbor causes you to be a judge because when you judge you are setting yourself up to be a judge of the law. And in this position you are a judge without all the facts not allowing the person being judged speak for their defense.

Many fall into this trap of bad-mouthing others because they are not walking in love. If they were to love their brother they would refrain from judging him.

• 2 months later...

The fact that a person is bad-mouthing a neighbor is placing that person into a position as judge. That person is judging someone else whether they acknowledge that fact or not.

It is tempting to bad-mouth others because it is natural to do it. It is part of our sin nature. It has taken tremendous focus and prayer to rid that habit out my life. It is not totally gone, but the Lord and I have it well under control.

• 4 months later...

When we bad mouth a neighbour we become a judge of the law in that we decide what laws are ok for us to submit to and what laws that person should be obeying. That's God's job not ours. Speaking a word in love to someone whom we think might need some giudance is a whole other thing to backbiting and slander.

It is tempting to bad mouth others often because we can pick the thing we think is wrong with that person and show off about how right and therefore better we are.

• 3 weeks later...

We become a judge of the law when we badmouth our neighbours because in doing so, we assume supremacy over them We then forget that there is only one judge, God. Therefore we are not submitting ourselves to our neighbours. We have become proud.

It's tempting to badmouth others because we often pick up on things we dislike in them, not realising at first, or if ever, that their faults are the same that we find in ourselves.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (4:11-12) In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

Bad mouthing a neighbor is totally against the law of love that God gave us to follow..when we judge a person we think of ourself to be greater in value to the person we are judging which as christians we should not be doing..And we consider ourself perfect to be ableto do the judging part.

I think when I bad mouth others it is in a step to justify myself about the thing and I guess, to be truthful, it makes me feel a lot better than I deserve to be..

• 10 months later...

Q4. (4:11-12)

In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbour cause you to be a judge of the law?

James echoes the teaching about judging others that Jesus gave in the Sermon on the Mount.

• 2 months later...

The old saying is "If you can`t say anything nice then don`t say anything at all." The moment you start to bad-mouth someone 1) your tongue is out of control, 2) your spirit is of chriticism and fault finding, definently not the spirit from God, so you take it upon yourself beleiving that you are correct, but as Matthew says in 7 vs 1 "Judge not that you be not judged, for with what judgement you judge you will be judged,: as James 4 vs 12 says ' ther is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy, who are you to judge another?"it takes a little more effort to see the good then it does to see the bad. I think that it is tempting to bad-mouth others because of our sinful nature. Even as a follower of Christ we can still stumble on our path, so we think we know better and beleive that we are righteous thinking that we can correct them. Submission to the Lord and to become humble then the Lord can work thru you to reach or teach others, but not to bad -mouth or judge. :rolleyes:

We set ourselves up as judge and jury and this is wrong. There is only one true Judge and that is God. He is the perfect Judge. We are no better than those we are bad-mouthing. We bad-mouth others to try and make ourselves look better, like we don't do anything wrong. Probably there is envy in our hearts. There certainly is no love. When we can't go face to face with the person we are talking about it speaks volumns about what kind of person we are. If we can't speak in love we should learn to keep quiet and cleanse our hearts of the evil things that are there.

• 1 month later...

When you say something against another, then you are becoming their judge. It is tempting to bad mouth others as it makes yourself look or appear better.

• 3 months later...

In what way does bad mouthing a neighbor cause you to be judge of the law? Why is it tempting to bad mouth others do you think?

How can I judge if I am quilty of the same thing? If I judge someone else when I am quilty then I am setting myself above the law which says love your neighbor and pray for those who persecute you. Judge not lest you be judged. John 5:22 says "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgement unto the Son". I may make myself judge in my own eyes but since I can't back it up with the power to be that judge it is false because I myself will be judged by the One who has the authority to judge.

I think it is tempting to bad mouth others when we have been hurt or feel that an injustice has done to us or to make ourselves feel good about ourselves when we don't want to admit that we deserve judgement.

Please pray for Terri Schiavo and the Schindler family today and for Michael Schiavo. Praise God for His mercy on us all.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

It is so tempting to voice our frustrations at what others do to us, to others, but if we judge them are we not guilt of not keeping the Royal Law to love your neighbour as yourself.

Speaking to the person or people directly in a calm, loving way, is a way I would want to try to do. God help me in this, and your prayers too. :)

• 2 months later...

In what way does bad mouthing a neighbor cause you to be judge of the law?

When we are self-righteous, we would fault finding, critise or slander our neighbour. This made us a judge of the law and not humble.

Why is it tempting to bad mouth others do you think?

It is tempting to bad mouth others because of unforgiveness or jealousy arised in our heart. Another cause is our weakness to refrain from fellowshiping with friends full of bad mouth and yet join the flow of their conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad mouthing has a cause and effect aspect - the fact that you are infecting someone with negative reports on a person - puts you into a very precarious position. Like the man with a beam in his eye - you find fault but worse you slander that person that you have judged.

Badmouthing someone is I think about putting someone down to build yourself up. To make yourself look superior. No humility here.

• 11 months later...

Answer:

1 In what way does bad-mouthing a neighbor cause you to be a judge of the law?

When we badmouth,or talk behind his back somebody,we always apply the Law(Things to do,and things not to do,as a Good Christian)to them..and we always gauge ourselves above them,making our actions or way of living as the standard measurement how to live and be acceptable to God.

The bible says it is not wise:

2 Corinthians 10:12-For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

2 Why is it tempting to bad-mouth others, do you think?

Because of PRIDE.We always wants to commend ourselves and approve of the things we do,as the only right thing to do,and we always want others to follow our lead.

If this is done in Love,then It is Ok,but if done other than that..then it is nothing.

1Cor 13:2-And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Motivations,the reason for exhortation or correcting others is the number one indicators whether what we are doing are in the Will of God,or for our Personal edification only.

We must examine our motives

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

If you speak evil of a person you are judging that person and also speaking against the law of God. You are saying that you know better than God. It is not our place to judge what God says but to obey what He says. If we judge the law we are placing ourselves above God who made the law. Only God is Lawgiver and Judge. He alone has all power!!

It is tempting to bad-mouth others because of our pride and envy. We ourselves may want to be like a person or to have something that person has and because of our jealousy we may bad-mouth that person so that he does not look good in the eyes of others and cause others to not have good thoughts about this person. We want to tear that person down whether we build ourselves up or not.

• 5 months later...

Bad-mouthing a neighbor makes you a judge of which laws apply to whom. When we criticize others, we are forgetting that we are not perfect either. Like the old saying goes… “There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it ill behooves any of us to find fault with the rest of us.