JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Why doesn't Paul care how others judge him? MAN JUDGMENT DOES NOT COUNT.

Why doesn't Paul judge himself? MAN JUDGMENT DOES NOT COUNT.

Why are our motives so important in God's judgment process? HE LOOKS AT THE HEART.

Do you see God as a harsh judge? NO

An easy judge? NO

Why?  HE JUST LOOKS AT WHAT HE TELLS US AND OUR RESPONSE TO IT; WE CHOOSE IF THE RESPONSE IS HARSH OR EASY...WE ARE HIS DOGS IN THE FIGHT AGAINST SATAN; WE CAN ONLY WHEN IF WE RESPOND TO TRAINING FOR THE FIGHT.

AN UNTRAINED DOG IS A THREAT TO ITS OWNER & HIMSELF!! ONLY THROUGH OBEDIENCE IS BOTH THE DOG AND THE OWNER HAPPY.  HARSH OR EASY; GOD IS GOD!

Paul didn’t care how others judged him or how he might judge himself because the only One with the authority and wisdom to judge is the Lord Jesus Christ. 

There is a difference in making judgments about people and passing judgment on people.  We must be discerning, but we have no right to condemn self or others as though we’re both judge and jury.  Romans 2:1 warns that when we pass judgment we condemn our own selves to judgment.  Romans 2:1 warns that when we pass judgment we condemn our own selves to judgment.  Rather than sitting in judgment of other believers and their service to Christ, Jesus calls us to leave that in His capable hands and focus on our own personal journeys of following Him (John 21:22).  And John 3:17 says that, for the duration of this era of the grace of His Gospel, Jesus isn’t executing judgment or condemnation on the world. 

I think in 1Cor.4:5 Paul is ultimately referring to the return of Christ (added 03.17.14 -- more accurately, the coming of Christ for the Church) when it is the appointed time for judgment by the only One who has the right to judge (John 5:22).  He is the only One who can know the secrets of our thought processes, see the motives of our hearts, and expose the hidden reasons for what we’ve done.  This makes our intentions and purposes crucial because they are the basis for our judgment as believers.  Working on that leaves no time to judge others!

I see God as a fair and impartial Judge who is always faithful to moral perfection and truth.  His own Word is truth, and so He is uncompromising to all that He has declared to be holy, honest, and accurate.  We may interpret His judgments as harsh or unfair because they are so uncomfortable to human reasoning, defenses, and excuses.  But we must remember that God never passes judgment without giving gracious and ample warning.  He has provided The Way for unredeemed sinners to escape severe eternal judgment and for unfaithful saints to avoid the losses of disciplinary judgment.  He has told us everything we need to know in advance, so we have no valid defense for protest or claims of injustice.

1 - Why doesn't Paul care how others judging him?

We have been redeemed by Jesus, therefore He is the one to judge us and not anyone else.

2 - Why doesn't Paul judge himself?

We sometimes judge ourselves too harshly and thus destroy our witnessing.  But again Jesus is our judge and He does it righteously.

3 - Why are our motives so important in God's judgment process?

Why we do something is the most important reason behind our actions.  God does not look at what we "give" or "do", but He can see the motive behind why we have done it.

4 - Do you see God as a harsh judge?

No!  God judges righteously.

5 - Do you see God as an easy judge?

No!  

6 - Why? 

He knows the motives behind our actions and can therefore judge righteously.

Paul was concerned about how God saw him, not anyone else.

Paul probably did judge himself by listening to his conscience.  He took the steps to confession keeping his relationship with God open.

People usually cannot see motives, but God sees them all.  This is why He can rightly judge.

I see God as a righteous judge.  I see Him harsh with those who deny Him.

I do not see Him as an easy judge. 

Righteous is neither harsh or easy.

Paul states that as humans we can rationalize everything a person does or doesn't do. Paul knew that God is and always will be the final judge of what we do or don't do. God can see the hidden motives behind us doing things from within our hearts and can see our motives before we can think them. God is a Father that disciplines us when we are wrong and as well as reward us when we serve Him faithfully.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him? Why doesn’t Paul judge himself? Why are our motives so important in God’s judgment process? Do you see God as a harsh judge? An easy judge? Why?

Question 4.2     (1 Cor.4: 3-5)

Paul doesn’t care how others judge him because for Paul only God’s opinion is important.  He has been judged apparently by the corinthians, probably by the followers of Caphas or Apollos but this if of no concern to Paul.  He does not even judge himself for often a person’s judgement of self is flawed.  Often one is one’s own severest critic; other times one is to proud of one’s own work .  The Lord, however, is an unbias and fair judge and when judgement day comes God will judge with utmost fairness.  At that time God will get the praise that will come from a loving parent.  Recently a new mother said to me that the love for a child was, for her, something new , something unique , something she had never experienced before.  God is our parent and loves us as does a newly delivered mother for her child.  We may have a ‘face’ that only a mother could love but God is that mother for us. 

Paul didn’t care how others judged him or how he might judge himself because the only One with the authority and wisdom to judge is the Lord Jesus Christ. 

There is a difference in making judgments about people and passing judgment on people.  We must be discerning, but we have no right to condemn self or others as though we’re both judge and jury.  Romans 2:1 warns that when we pass judgment we condemn our own selves to judgment.  Rather than sitting in judgment of others, Jesus calls us to leave that in His capable hands and focus on following Him (John 21:22).  And John 3:17 says that, for the duration of this era of the grace of His Gospel, Jesus isn’t executing judgment or condemnation on the world. 

I think in 1Cor.4:5 Paul is ultimately referring to the return of Christ when it is the appointed time for judgment by the only One who has the right to judge (John 5:22).  He is the only One who can know the secrets of our thought processes, see the motives of our hearts, and expose the hidden reasons for what we’ve done.  This makes our intentions and purposes crucial because they are the basis for our judgment as believers.  Working on that leaves no time to judge others!

I see God as a fair and impartial Judge who is always faithful to moral perfection and truth.  His own Word is truth, and so He is uncompromising to all that He has declared to be holy, honest, and accurate.  We may interpret His judgments as harsh or unfair because they are so uncomfortable to human reasoning, defenses, and excuses.  But we must remember that God never passes judgment without giving gracious and ample warning.  He has provided The Way for unredeemed sinners to escape severe eternal judgment and for unfaithful saints to avoid the losses of disciplinary judgment.  He has told us everything we need to know in advance, so we have no valid defense for protest or claims of injustice.

I think in 1Cor.4:5 Paul is ultimately referring to the return of Christ when it is the appointed time for judgment by the only One who has the right to judge (John 5:22).  He is the only One who can know the secrets of our thought processes, see the motives of our hearts, and expose the hidden reasons for what we’ve done.  This makes our intentions and purposes crucial because they are the basis for our judgment as believers.  Working on that leaves no time to judge others!

:) I feel that there are at least two judgments here. I think that when we die Jesus comes to get us and we are judged by the Lord. I base this on two scriptures. The first Acts 7: 56 when in his vision Stephen sees the Lord Jesus standing on the right hand of God. Now at  my knowledge any other time Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God. Here he is standing and appears to be waiting anxiously for Stephen. I suspect that Jesus is always standing and waiting for us. Secondly there is a verse in Philippians 1.23 that Dr Ralph pointed out to us. "Paul writes "My desire is to depart and be with Christ; for that is far better." Here Paul seems to believe in a direct passing from this life to an existence with Christ which is far better. This is my belief. Now there may also be a second coming of Christ, the Day of the Lord. It will be a new creation, a new heaven and a new earth let down by God. A time when the wolf will lie down with the lamb. A time when the riches of God's creation will be shared equitably with all humanity and all creation.

winstony

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him?

Because Paul knows that God is his sovereign judge and ultimately it will be God whose proclaims FINAL Judgement. He knows God's judgement will be fair and just!

Why doesn’t Paul judge himself?

Paul knows he is a man, and men are not perfected. Only God is perfect and without blemish.Paul has trusted his heart to the Holy Spirit. Paul does not feel quilt or condemn himself because he know at all times the Holy Spirit is working in him to perfect in him a clean, and pure heart. He has totally given himself to God and TRUST with all his heart in the working of The Holy Spirit! Because of his great faith, love and trust in God he must love himself as God loves him, if he hates himself or condemns himself he goes completely against the will of God.

We love because God first showed us what love is (and that means we love ourselves-and do not judge ourselves) as well. How can we hate of judge something which God created?? He created us with Love and we must love ourselves, as He love us!

Why are our motives so important in God’s judgment process?

God looks at our hearts. Sometimes our actions do not clearly reflect what is in our hearts, because we are mere men. We are not yet perfected. We make mistakes. When we do it is important to know God allows us to make mistakes as a way  for us to learn from those mistakes. We must therefore ask for His forgiveness and KNOW we have been forgiven. He has not given us a Spirit of guilt and fear! Sometimes the lessons we learn are very difficult and may take years to learn. Perfection is never finished until the day of completion when we stand before God! God know our hearts. I know you have read the verse in which he counted every hair on your head. Think about it, if He knows how many hairs we have on our head, how much more does he know our hearts?

Matthew 10:29
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care.
Matthew 10:30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

Do you see God as a harsh judge?

No, I do not see Him as harsh at all. I see Him as a loving Father who sometimes feels the need to exact punishment so that His child may learn from His/her mistakes,

An easy judge? Why?

I do not see God as a "pushover' either. He is like any strict parent who wants the very best for His child. He loves us and always knows what is best for us! I ask God often to pull me back, and show me, teach me,even if it means punishment how to be good person! I often ask him to show me my mistakes and  to lead me to righteousness. I expect to get it 'wrong' in the Fathers eyes,at times, this a part of the maturation of any child, especially God's children. However,I know his punishment will be fair and just, He will deal  with me  in a way that will show me the right path in a loving manner. My Father will always be my teacher, He will always love me know matter what, He will create in me a clean heart.  Whatever the punishment I trust His motives are always in my best interest because I KNOW I AM LOVED!

1 Corinthians 4:3-5

Q). Why doesn't Paul care how others judge him?

A). Paul doesn't care how others judge him because he learned to leave the final judgment to God and not torture himself with guilt and a sense of shame and inadequacy.

#

Q). Why doesn't Paul judge himself?

A). Paul doesn't judge himself because he knows God is the judge and will issue his final judgments. God alone can see Paul's motives, which are hidden to others, and often to Paul himself.

#

Q). Why are our motives so important in God's judgment process?

A). Our motives are important in God's judgment process because He judges our hearts (motives). "for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

#

Q). Do you see God as a harsh judge? An easy judge? Why?

A). I often vacillate between seeing God as both a harsh judge and an easy judge. But that's only when I try to figure out what's on God's mind. It is only the Spirit and not me who can know the mind of the Lord.

"For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him?" (1 Corinthians 2:16)

I think in 1Cor.4:5 Paul is ultimately referring to the return of Christ when it is the appointed time for judgment by the only One who has the right to judge (John 5:22).  He is the only One who can know the secrets of our thought processes, see the motives of our hearts, and expose the hidden reasons for what we’ve done.  This makes our intentions and purposes crucial because they are the basis for our judgment as believers.  Working on that leaves no time to judge others!

:) I feel that there are at least two judgments here. I think that when we die Jesus comes to get us and we are judged by the Lord. I base this on two scriptures. The first Acts 7: 56 when in his vision Stephen sees the Lord Jesus standing on the right hand of God. Now at  my knowledge any other time Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God. Here he is standing and appears to be waiting anxiously for Stephen. I suspect that Jesus is always standing and waiting for us. Secondly there is a verse in Philippians 1.23 that Dr Ralph pointed out to us. "Paul writes "My desire is to depart and be with Christ; for that is far better." Here Paul seems to believe in a direct passing from this life to an existence with Christ which is far better. This is my belief. Now there may also be a second coming of Christ, the Day of the Lord. It will be a new creation, a new heaven and a new earth let down by God. A time when the wolf will lie down with the lamb. A time when the riches of God's creation will be shared equitably with all humanity and all creation.

winstony

Oh yes,winstony, I also believe there are at least two judgments, though only one of them is represented in 1 Cor. 4:5.  When I referred to the “return of Christ” I know what I was thinking, but it might make it seem I think there’s only one time of judgment.  It would have been better for me to stick with Paul’s wording of the “coming of Christ” because they’re not really the same thing.  Addressing believers, Paul spoke of “the time” when “the Lord comes [to] bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and [to] disclose the purposes of the heart”.  This will be a literal appointed time after Christ appears to call the Church out of the world (the Rapture, which precedes the onset of the Great Tribulation).  My understanding is that this will be “the time” when all believers must appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ [Romans 14:10b-12; 2Corinthians 5:10] to give an account of ourselves and have our works tested by the refining fire described in 1Corinthians 3:10-15.  Only the works motivated by and done in righteousness will endure that testing.  This isn't a time of declaring judgment, but the time of purification when Christ will determine the rewards and commendations for each person according to the results.   The fact that only Christ has the authority or capability to make such determinations is the basis for Paul’s warning for believers to refrain from passing judgment on each other.

Since I try to be very careful with comments, I thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

For myself more than anything, I’d like to continue the line of thought to differentiate the other certain judgment to come.  I see the following progression in Scripture.  According to Revelation 19:7-9, the righteous deeds that endure the testing at the Judgment Seat of Christ will become wedding garments for the Bride of Christ as she/we are made ready for our Groom and then celebrate the marriage supper of the Lamb together.   The next event will be when Christ literally returns to earth in His authority as King of kings and Lord of lords to end the Great Tribulation and to establish His millennial reign on earth, accompanied by “the armies of heaven” dressed in the garments of righteousness [Rev.19:11-16].  This is the Bride, who comes to reign with Christ on earth [Rev. 5:9-10; 20:6].  At the end of the 1000 years, Christ will execute final justice at the Great White Throne judgment, the fearsome day when the unresurrected unsaved dead will called forth to be judged by the evidence recorded against them.  Each will have to answer for everything they’ve ever done and, having rejected the cover of righteousness provided by the blood of Christ through salvation, will have to bear the full brunt of God’s wrath against their sins [Rev.20:11-15].  Once all sin has been judged and purged, the new heaven, new earth, and new Jerusalem will be revealed [Rev.21:1-2].

Although we know from John 5:27 that the Father has given the Son of Man authority to execute judgment, I don’t see anything in Scripture that leads me to conclude that Christ is currently acting as Judge while He sits at the right hand of God in submission to the Father’s will and timing during this age of grace.  Romans 8:34 tells us He is acting as our Intercessor.  1John 2:1 tells us He is acting as our Advocate before the Father.   1Timothy 2:5 tells us He is acting as our Mediator.  I believe He is serving as our Defender against the one who accuses us day and night before our God [Revelation 12:10-11a].   The time for judgment is yet to come. 

Interestedly I don't view God as a judge at all.  I do believe God is sad when I sin and this results in my distance from God, but in order to flourish I had to understand that God is here for me in all times, in the good and the bad.  I do feel that asking God's forgiveness is showing respect to the Divine that I love.

Thanks, Chuck

Paul was resting in the Lord's Love and forgiveness, and had a clear conscience ("I feel blameless"). He was single minded in running the race the Lord had set before him, eager to reach the finish line with the work he'd been assigned, completed. Others opinions mattered not to him as long as he was pleasing the Lord.

Paul knew he was a sinner saved by grace alone, and that judging oneself is self righteousness (that of expecting perfection and trying to "atone" for one's sin by punishing oneself)  Paul's answer to accusations was "examine the Lamb" Who bore all of my sin, failings,and shortcomings. I'm robed in His righteousness. My conscience is clear."  Paul's one and only goal was to serve his Lord faithfully in all things, and to be a "ministering servant, steward, trustee" of the mysteries and purposes of God. (V1)

If this question is regarding unbelievers, motive matters not. One is either born again or not. Motives are what move us and God alone sees and understands those, but if impure do not receive judgment. Instead our loving Father may correct us appropriately but this is not judgment nor punitive punishment.  Paul understood as he states in Romans that the wrath of God fell upon His Son when He hung on the cross. He became sin so that we are cleansed and forgiven and now righteous in His sight. He was forsaken so that we will never be. HIS HOLINESS AND JUSTICE CANNOT AND WILL NOT CONDEMN ME FOR SIN HE WAS JUDGED AND DIED FOR...WHEN HE CRIED "IT IS FINISHED!", HE HAD PAID THE PRICE OF GOD'S WRATH SO THAT BELIEVERS WILL NEVER BE JUDGED.

Do you see God as a harsh judge? An easy judge? Why?

The Scriptures teach that God is just!  He alone is Judge, only of those who reject His Son. If eternity in hell is harsh, those who refuse His freely given grace CHOOSE that end. He doesn't SEND anyone to hell. Jesus took my sin upon Himself, and exhausted God's wrath, so that I will not be judged again for that sin...double jeopardy). If a Christian believes he will be judged.....then Jesus died in vain, and His blood was of no more consequence than that of bulls and goats which only purchased forgiveness until the next sin was committed and the next animal's blood was shed. Verse 5 states that believers will receive our due commendation from God when all is revealed...or our rewards for all that was accomplished MOTIVATED by the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) 

Why doesn't Paul care how others judge him? 

Why doesn't Paul judge himself? 

Why are our motives so important in God's judgment process? 

An easy judge? 

Why?

It is difficult for people to make competent judgments as we tend to exalt the spectacular and sensational. Paul states it is best to leave the judging of others to the Lord, who is able to judge not only what is seen and heard but also on the motives of the heart. Our motives in judging others must always be sincere, as it is all right for us to judge others who are sinning but never to say who is a better Christian. No person can determine the legitimacy, quality, or even the faithfulness of another’s work for the Lord. Paul doesn’t judge himself for the same reason that his own evaluation may be just as unreliable as that of any other person. Do I see God as a harsh or easy judge? I feel that whatever God does is righteous and holy. Paul wrote in Romans 2:5, “But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.” So we see, in that Day of Judgment, God will be seen to be absolutely righteous, without prejudice or injustice of any kind. 

I believe it's an unfortunate issue of semantics that leads many of us today to speak of God's chastisement as being His judgement. So when we say God is a harsh judge we are actually talking about His chastisement, or discipline. Here's an example in the book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 12:5 ...My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth...

Unfortunately, Some of us today refer to this type of chastisement and discipline as God's judgement.

Peace,

Sank T Monius

Who they are to judge. Mat7: 3-4

God is the judge over every soul

Because God will give to each one whatever praise is coming to him

Not at all

An easy judge?

Not easy but accordingly to our works

Why?

He looksa deep down the heart

Paul doesn't care if people judge him because he has a clear conscience before God. He knows it is God's judgement that counts. It is not for people to judge and most times, when people do judge, it is not fairly or accurately. Paul knows this, so he leaves all judgement in God's hands.

Paul doesn't even judge himself because he believes in grace. He knows God is the final judge of everything and everyone, so Paul doesn't waste time agonizing over whether he is doing it all perfectly. He knows he never will and he accepts grace in it all.

God looks on the heart and that is why it is so important to have pure motives in anything we do. He knows when our intentions are good, though the process may fail a bit. He looks on a tender heart that is less perfect with greater compassion than on a hard, complaining heart that is doing things by the letter of the law in arrogance.

I do not see God as a harsh judge. I used to....but as I came to really know Him, I don't see Him that way at all. 

I don't see Him as an "easy" judge either.

Why? I see Him as just. He never winks at sin, but He provided me a way to be forgiven of sin. But to those who do not embrace the way through Jesus and His atoning blood....there will be judgement and wrath. That will be the extreme opposite of anything weak or easy.

(1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him?

He knows what people think doesn't matter. What God knows matters. Humans see only a small part of the picture, God sees all. Humans are failable, God is Almighty. There is only one judgement that matters.

Why doesn’t Paul judge himselfHe knows he is only human as well and we will make the same mistake when we judge ourselves as when we try to judge others. Of coarse we have to judge ourselves to some extend, even Paul.said we have to, but only to judge whether I am always seeking the will of God.

God can do anything He wants to, He doesn't need us, but through our attitude we worship Him. Our motive shows whether we are going things gore self gain or to serve.God.

Both. God is a righteous judge. He is absolutly fair. But He is also a merciful judge. Full of forgiven.

An easy judge? Why?

As above

(1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him?

He knows what people think doesn't matter. What God knows matters. Humans see only a small part of the picture, God sees all. Humans are failable, God is Almighty. There is only one judgement that matters.

Why doesn’t Paul judge himselfHe knows he is only human as well and we will make the same mistake when we judge ourselves as when we try to judge others. Of coarse we have to judge ourselves to some extend, even Paul.said we have to, but only to judge whether I am always seeking the will of God.

God can do anything He wants to, He doesn't need us, but through our attitude we worship Him. Our motive shows whether we are going things gore self gain or to serve.God.

Both. God is a righteous judge. He is absolutly fair. But He is also a merciful judge. Full of forgiven.

An easy judge? Why?

As above

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him? Why doesn’t Paul judge himself? Why are our motives so important in God’s judgment process? Do you see God as a harsh judge? An easy judge? Why?

Paul does not care how others judge him, because he is totally devoted to Christ. He allows nothing to enslave his flesh. He knows Christ will be the final and just judge. He knows with the flesh, temptations will cause him to stumble, learning from these mistakes he ask the Lord for forgiveness. He continues on, trusting in Christ to keep him on the straight and narrow path.  

Paul knows in the flesh we stumble, we do things we do not want to do, trusting Christ for pardoning his mistakes he continues in delivering the message of the gospel, having faith Christ will strengthen and guide him.

Though we say our intentions were good, we try to explain away our excuse for sin, but god knows our hearts intention at the time of our stumbling. At times our motives maybe selfish, envious or just plain jealousy. The Lord will judge us by these motives at His judgement seat.

We may see God as a harsh judge if we continue to live in sin, knowing that He will judge us justly. We feel we are not worthy of His love. As an easy judge we know God has excepted Christ sacrifice for our sins and we know if we truly repent He will be somewhat of an easy judge. This of course gives us no right to continue in sin, we will be sanctified here on earth just as He is in Heaven, if we continue in His love.    

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn’t Paul care how others judge him? Why doesn’t Paul judge himself?

Paul is so mature in the faith that he is only concerned what God thinks of him. He is also so secure in his relationship with Jesus that he doesn't even judge himself. That level of faith and commitment to God is something we all need to work at attaining. I used to think Paul was really conceited when he admonished his readers to be imitators of him as he was an imitator of Christ. Now I know better.

God looks past the outward appearance of people and their actions and examines their hearts, their motives for doing what they do. Do we tithe because we love God or because we want the material blessing that's promised? Do we serve our church out of love or to shame someone else whom we want to out-do in the eyes of our fellow parishoners?

Jesus warns us that at the final judgement He will say to some who think they've a shoe-in at the Feast of Heaven: Depart from me; I never knew you. I don't know about anyone else, but that sure scares me!

I gonna go with harsh. I'm not an orphan. I had a father and mother who brought me up. But I had NO father-son relationship of any kind with my old man. I never felt any love from him and we never did anything together as father and son, not once. I have no experience at all in what it's like to have a loving father. He told me many times how much he hated my guts.

Therefore I tend to view God in the same way. Step out of line and God will crush me. All the preaching and Bible study in the world can't convince me in the matter of God's unconditional love. I've been a born again Christian since 1982, and before that actually. In 1971 I accepted Christ as my savior but I could'nt seem to do anything right, in my own sight at least. I realize it was Satan ruining my chances of serving God, but the fact still remains that I failed God miserably. I had long hair back then and the establishment (that's what we called the older generation) Christians at my church wanted me to get my hair cut short to fit in and when I didn't they washed their hands of me.

So in 1982 when I again gave my life to Christ, I received better counselling . . . ironically from one of my chief detractors ten years earlier . . . and I've stuck with it ever since.

In the time I've been a follower of Jesus I have:

Developed agorphobia which totally ruined my life in so many ways and has seen me dependent on medication because God won't heal me. I'm heaps better than I was but still not out of the woods completely,

Had my job and my ability to do it taken away with work injuries,

Had my marriage disintegrate,

Been rendered sterile by chemical exposure at work,

Been forced to eke out a living as a musician after all other avenues of work weren't an option any more,

Been put out of business FIVE times in the last 17 years,

Seen my life's savings cut in half by circumstances beyond my control . . . the GFC.

Been reduced to having nothing at all in the bank and having to borrow money from my mother to move into one room at my brother's house (her old house before she went into aged care)

Seen my daughter whom I love with all my heart and over whom I prayed as she grew up, become a drug user and cover herself in tattoos and flirt with lesbianism.

I know there are plenty of people worse off than I am, but that list of things all happened to me AFTER I began worshipping God. Do I view them as punishments from God for whatever I may have done in this life? Given my complete ignorance of what a loving father is like, the answer is yes. I commit a sin and I cower in fear waiting for the axe to fall

Q2. (1 Corinthians 4:3-5) Why doesn't Paul care how others judge him?

Paul was being (judged) scrutinized and interrogated by those who thoughts and actions were carnal.

If Paul were to concern himself with the thoughts of “MAN” it could lead only to more confusion and division in the lives of believers, instead, he put on the mind of Christ.

Why doesn't Paul judge himself?

Paul was not judging himself according to mans judgment; Paul was secure in the “LORD” - Paul’s motives were pure, he was a “FAITHFUL” steward, and Paul knew - God would judge him according to his heart.

Why are our motives so important in God's judgment process?

Our motives speak to who we are in Christ.

God the Father is a God to be “FEARED” he is a God of Mercy, and of righteousness, however, He is also a God of “JUDGMENT” - for without God's judgment there would be no need for His mercy.

God's judgment is fair and just.  He sees and knows the motivations of the hearts of each person.  Therefore Paul didn't care whether the Church in Corinth or any human court for that matter judged him.  They weren't qualified.  Paul wasn't qualified even to judge himself.  Paul served the Lord as best as he understood and let God be the final judge of what he did.

That should be our approach also.  If we are growing spiritually the way we should be, I am not the same person I was yesterday, a year ago, ten years ago, etc.  I can't judge myself by the insight and wisdom I have gained years later.  I base my actions on what I know and understand at any given time.  Therefore, it is not fair and just of me to judge myself or anyone else.  Because as Paul stated earlier in 1 Corinthians  we don't know the mind of anyone or God's expect their own spirit.  I need to live my life in fellowship with the Holy Spirit and minister to whose around me for Jesus Christ and let God do the judging at that appointed time.  Premature judgment is harmful and dishonest.  It is not helpful in presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ.

God's judgment is fair and just.  He sees and knows the motivations of the hearts of each person.  Therefore Paul didn't care whether the Church in Corinth or any human court for that matter judged him.  They weren't qualified.  Paul wasn't qualified even to judge himself.  Paul served the Lord as best as he understood and let God be the final judge of what he did.

That should be our approach also.  If we are growing spiritually the way we should be, I am not the same person I was yesterday, a year ago, ten years ago, etc.  I can't judge myself by the insight and wisdom I have gained years later.  I base my actions on what I know and understand at any given time.  Therefore, it is not fair and just of me to judge myself or anyone else.  Because as Paul stated earlier in 1 Corinthians  we don't know the mind of anyone or God's expect their own spirit.  I need to live my life in fellowship with the Holy Spirit and minister to whose around me for Jesus Christ and let God do the judging at that appointed time.  Premature judgment is harmful and dishonest.  It is not helpful in presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I know there are plenty of people worse off than I am, but that list of things all happened to me AFTER I began worshipping God. Do I view them as punishments from God for whatever I may have done in this life? Given my complete ignorance of what a loving father is like, the answer is yes. I commit a sin and I cower in fear waiting for the axe to fall

Guitar Jim, I don't really know why I came back to this question today except that I was to see your post.  The pain in what you've shared is palpable and breaks my own heart.  There is no way for any comments I could make to change anything for you, but I just wanted to say a couple of things.  First, I understand not knowing the love of God from the example we had of our own fathers, although for very different reasons.  It has made it hard for me to grasp and fully receive the truth that I am completely, passionately, and perfectly loved by our Father in heaven.  I still have to work on that all the time.  He loves you in a way you cannot fathom and is ALWAYS at work for good to you, and you absolutely must speak that truth to yourself whenever you find you're consumed with doubt, regardless how you feel.  The things of earth that we perceive and desire as "good" don't always line up with His definition and plan. Man, that's hard to accept, but it's true.  Second, the list of events in your life since coming to faith in Christ is painful to read.  But you must stand on the truth that God does not bring evil on His children.  When we're saved, our arch-enemy satan launches unfathomable assaults out of depraved rage against God.  This is his attempt to crack your faith and destroy what now belongs to God.  Through whatever comes against you, Father desires to prove Himself to you as your strength, your peace, your provision, your "enough" to help you make it, and yes, even your joy to encourage your heart.  He has no desire to crush you, except to release the sweet fragrance of Jesus in you as He takes you deeper into lessons that can only be learned through trials.  The biggest practical thing I've personally learned is that what I speak releases power into my situations, whether godly or ungodly, and I must not allow my feelings to determine my attitude or beliefs.  You don't want to give satan even greater influence with words of doubt or unbelief!!  That's a monstrous task that takes constant effort, but it's not impossible by any means!  God has proven the power of Philippians 4:4-7 to me through very difficult circumstances and I'd encourage you to constantly speak the words of gratitude for who He is and His power to rescue you, and words of faith for His glory to shine in you through all things.  That supernatural peace He promised is for real. 

I feel led back to a comment I made earlier in this lesson question because no matter how it feels or seems, whatever haunts you from your past has been forgiven and covered in God's sight if you belong to Him through Christ.  God isn't waiting for you to mess up again so He can beat you down because He is not like your old man (who did those things out of his own inadequacies and insecurities).  That's just the truth of His Word that doesn't change with our feelings.  You have a Father who loves you and a Friend who won't ever desert you.  May the Lord bless and keep you; may His face shine warmly upon you as you seek Him.

Although we know from John 5:27 that the Father has given the Son of Man authority to execute judgment, I don’t see anything in Scripture that leads me to conclude that Christ is currently acting as Judge while He sits at the right hand of God in submission to the Father’s will and timing during this age of grace.  Romans 8:34 tells us He is acting as our Intercessor.  1John 2:1 tells us He is acting as our Advocate before the Father.   1Timothy 2:5 tells us He is acting as our Mediator.  I believe He is serving as our Defender against the one who accuses us day and night before our God [Revelation 12:10-11a].   The time for judgment is yet to come.