JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Unforgiveness and Blindness

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To carry all our hurt and hate, pulls us away from God. We are angry and feel that no one understands.

Some times we blame God for what has happened to us. This can go on for many years.We cannot forgive the one who inflicted this hurt. Instead of trying to forgive this person or persons, we just carry this hurt within ourselves.

We must Pray and ask God to help us To forgive, This can be very hard for us to do, but before God will help us we must forgive first. We must try and see this person who has hurt us so much,as one of Gods Children.

To look with compassion and Love upon them. We must show that we love the sinner, not the sin Then to start praying for them, asking God to forgive all the hurt that this Person has inflicted on us. If we really mean it, God will answer our prayers. he will forgive us all our angry feelings. We will feel refreshed, in time all the feelings we had will be washed away. and we will walk in the light once again.

I have been through this myself.so I can assure anyone who is going through this, that God will help us to get through this. All we have to do, is to Pray asking him to help us.It is so distructive to carry anger too long.

Thank you Jesus for walking with me. For giving me the strength to Forgive.Amen.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? We can’t grow spiritually when we have hate and harbor unforgiveness in our hearts. Something I learned not to long ago was that when we have the holy ground inside of us, anything that is icky that comes in and is even entertained for a short period of time, will take root and grow fast because we have fertile soil. When we loose our spiritual perspective, we also loose our sense of direction.

Some people think that the Old Testament is nothing but a book of don’ts. But John summarized all these rules when He quoted Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

By carrying out His simple commandment, aren't we following all of God’s other laws as well? John insists that the test of personal intimacy and knowledge of God is obedience to Christ’s commands. But which ones? John emphasizes that he has no new obligation in mind, but rather what the believers have known from the beginning. 2 John 1:5 ¶ And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. The new commandment that John is referring to is the kind of love that abides in the light of Christ. After all, John had heard simular words from Yahushua Himself; “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.” (John 13:34) His commandment to love reached it’s truest and fullest expression when He showed compassion on the sick, the dying, the dead, the diseased, all of those whom He loved who were shoved aside and ignored. He demonstrated what true love was when He laid down His life for all mankind, if they would only believe.

If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light? SEEK FORGIVENESS! This sounds easy but it really isn’t. It is something we practice. Sometimes the words, “I’m sorry” is enough but sometimes, we have to ask for forgiveness and that is hard too. But, for me, I never even spoke these kinds of words until after I was born in the spirit. Looking back at who I used to be helps me recognize where folks are who live without Him, where I used to be; lost.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11)

How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually?

He / She who is not able to forgive is spiritually blind because he / she is not able to see that he / she himself / herself needs forgiveness from other people and from God. If a person is not able to forgive he / she is not able to exercise love. How can he / she expect to be forgiven?

Hate is the opposite of love. Unforgiveness occurs when we can not exercise love and, instead, we keep on hating people not understanding that we also offend people and God. That is really spiritual blindness.

If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

The only way we can come into the light is by ACCEPTING AND LOVING AGAIN THOSE WHO HAVE HURT US

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually?

There have been a couple of wounds so deep that they nearly destroyed my sanity, and other family members. For a season I despised the ones who lied and betrayed. In this state, I was consumed with wanting them to hurt as much as they'd hurt me, and my family. I forgave them in words, but my mind was constantly chewing on the details, the "why's?', the unfairness, the pain. For a time, this hurt became my focus, and I was blinded to God's love, what His purpose might be in permitting these offenses to take place, my own sin in hating these people, who were "Christians". I just couldn't move on and let it go, until God began the healing process and I saw that there was a gift in the wounds...this led me to go through a long season of emotional and spiritual healing, as it brought up deep wounds from the past that I'd "buried" when as a child I had no ability to process or cope, so I "forgot". When those repressed wounds were opened, the "pus" drained, I grieved the pain and losses, forgave the offenders, and in time forgave the current offenders, even thanking God for allowing these to happen so that He could get down into my heart and heal the past which though repressed, still affected current behavior and decisions due to the bondage created.

It sounds trite to say "just forgive"...Sometimes with deep hurts there is a process in reaching full forgiveness which is freely given. Those wounds required me to first become willing to forgive...then to ask God to help me forgive. He is faithful! I learned valuable life lessons back then, such as if I'm willing, God will come in and help me complete the work of forgiveness, and in the process heal past wounds. Those needed to be forgiven too, but first had to be "remembered" through this process. I learned that it's possible to forgive, but that the emotions of anger, betrayal, and grief also needed to be healed in order to completely release the offenders before I could pray FOR them, rather than ABOUT them. This process brought all of it out of the darkness in my soul, where like hidden boils the old wounds silently festered, into God's light where He cleansed me, helped me to forgive and eventually feel compassion for them because hurting people, hurt people. He set me free from my past and is in the process of setting me free daily from residual bondage created years ago from the abuse, neglect, violence, etc. He's such an AWESOME Father!!! I love Him because He first loved me...His love healed me, and in the process, as I yield to Him, flows through me.

• How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually?When I focus on those who have "injured" me; grinding away at how I will cut them off and exact my revenge; I take my eyes off Christ and what he did for me on the cross. I am like the servant in Matthew 18:24-35, who though released from a debt he could never pay, sought retribution from one who owed him far less.
  • If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?How difficult it is to break habitual behaviors. I can't do this in my own power. I have to pray for the ability to forgive, and turn to pray for those who have hurt me. And each time I slip back into my habit of cursing or denigrating others, I need reflect on the magnitude of what Christ has done for me on the cross, and to confess my sin, and ask for His forgiveness. In time, my old habits can be unlearned.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

I find that if I hang onto hurts and unforgiveness, it just binds me to that person or persons and I am always consumed with revenge. I have discovered over the years that forgiveness is not a "feeling" but an act of my will. My choice to forgive and turn that person over to God. That frees me up to see them as God sees them and to love them with His love. It is hard sometimes because many of us have hurts that have festered in our hearts and we don't always recognize the pain and woundedness for what it is. Forgiveness brings freedom and allows us to trust God. I am thankful that my sins have been forgiven and that Jesus always stands as my advocate before the Father. I have been forgiven much and I pray that I may forgive just as much.

How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? Hating anyone only harms us. The person we hate can be in total peace and freedom and many times does not even know we hate them, yet we suffer with the inner turmoil and emotional bondage. But more importantly both hate and unforgiveness keep us from the light 'Jesus' and the Word says we who do not forgive others will also not be forgiven for our own sins (Mat.6:14)

Earnest repentence before the Lord and before the ones we've sinned against can/will set us free. However, the Lord knows our heart better than we do and will actually give us peace when we've truely forgiven and have love in our hearts, that's how we know we're free, but if the forgivenss isn't sincere, it will linger and we'll have unrest. Calling on Holy Spirit for guidence and Jesus as our intercessor is the remedy of choice for children of the Most High God.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

When we hate someone or don't forgive those who hurt us,we put up a wall between us and God. We start to walk in darkness because we have not forgiven them and we start to judge that person. Hate destroys our soul and hardens our hearts. The only way to come into the light is through repentance and seeking God. We need to ask for forgiveness and ask God to help us to learn to love that person and pray for them. The thing is, the person we hate or don't forgive many times don't even know how we feel. So we are destroying ourselves.

the lack of love kept us blind to the thing of God, we are in darkness and we are only fooling ourselves. Saying we love the Lord and yet we hate our neighbors that not love. We are to forgive all no matter how much hurt they have caused us. Jesus command us to love one another as we love ourselves. The way you treat other reflect the way you feel about yourself.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually?

If I hold hatred, contempt for my brother, or if I hold unto unforgiveness, being vindictive to my brother, hate and unforgivenss is a powerful source that God does not want for me a child of His to be ruled by; for it will eventually blind me spiritually from the truth, I would become a stumbling block to my brother, and more important, a stumbling block to myself.

Christ has come into a dark world, and He has come into this heart of mine that was darkened by sin, a light is shining and the Light has called me to

If there is hate and unforgiveness in our hearts, we are only hurting ourselves. We must forgive those that have hurt us. We cannot connect with the Father with unforgiveness in our hearts. You cannot grow spiritually until you forgive others.

We must repent to come into the light of Christ. We must get rid of hate and unforgiveness

Hate and unforgiveness are like a black cloud hanging over us, keeping God's light from shining through us. We are holding on to the "old man" when we choose not to forgive. Also, choosing not to forgive others means we haven't really experienced & accepted God's forgiveness of ourself.

Choose to come out from hate & unforgiveness into His light. Remember what God did for you and how that should reflect what you should be doing. Forgive Forgive Forgive!!

Hate and unforgiveness are like blinders put on a horse so that it is not distracted, our sight is limited to the object of our hate and unforgiveness and obstructed so that we might, at least momentarily, be blinded to God's love and at least temporarily, His will. Unlike the horse, we have a choice to remove the blinders (hate and unforgiveness) in obedience to His command and be free to love. Sometimes, (often times?) the hardest part is making the choice to do so. Initially making the right choice but then the experience of the joy/peace resulting from doing so makes it easier to repeat. To remain in the light, we must remain in His Word and feed the fertile soil of our mind truth.

Hate and unforgiveness sepearte us deom God. Once we are cut off from God then obviously we loose that light which has the ability to reveal us our true condition. Once that happens we are in darkness. Since we cannot see (in a spiritual sense) then that is called spiritual blindness. We need to repent and ask forgiveness from God and people involved. Then belive that Jesus has forgiven all our sins. Asking forgiveness is a tricky one. We need to ask forgiveness from the people in that circle in which the sin was committed. For example if I get angry in my heart with another person then I need to ask forgiveness from God alone. But if sin was committed against human being then I need to ask forgiveness from both God and human being. Once we ask forgiveness then we come back into the light

It keeps us from showing the love that Christ has for us that while we are still sinners He died for us. We can't hate other because of their sins against us or Jesus can't forgive us.If we fail to forgive we are spiritually blind to what Jesus did for us. We can be renewed by confessing our sin of un forgiveness and pray for the gift of the Holy Spirit, Love, Peace, Patience, Kindness and selfcontrol. These will helpus to love those who in our eyes are unloveable.

I don't like digging up the past, but maybe this is a good time. I cannot remember ever hating with a passion, but I do remember the longing to be accepted just for me. I was born and raised in a small town. We didn't have much, guess you could say we were poor, and because of this we were treated different. It is a little hard to have to learn to fight with your fists as a ten year old just because of the holes in your shoes. I fought most of my fights defending my little brother. He was one year younger than me and quite a bit smaller; early on, life seemed to give him the worst of all that it had to offer. I think that is when I came to hate (if you will) the arrogance, pride, and judgements of people.

I tell you this because it is the separation from others that leads to separation from God. You might think that is an odd thing to say, but do you have a coin in your pocket? One side has tails, the other heads. You cannot have one without the other. You cannot love the Father and hate his creation, you cannot be separate from people and united with God. You can go, like Moses, and seek God in solitude. But God will always send you back to the people. Even God says that it is not good to be alone.

Ronald's road and mine went different paths. He stayed in school, getting his masters degree in chemical engeneering. He chose to show them by becoming more wealthy than they were. He chose to fit in by being on top. I fit in by being a week-end drunk, which lead to many problems, and that is a whole different story which leads me to where I am today. Sitting in church I learned the love of God is what unites us, in Jesus there is no separation. That has become my focus on life the past twenty years, with this new understanding of God I fit in. No need for alcohol, no need for things, I am accepted by the One who matters most just for who I am.

Ronald passed away from cancer a few years back. One year before he died, he said to me, "If I had it all to do over, I would do what you are doing, I did it just to show them." Before he died, I had a chance to share my love for the Lord with him and tell him of the love God has for us. The moment he passed away, separated by fifteen hundred miles, he came to me in a vision. In this vision, he said to me with a comforting voice, "I have to go now." Just the way he said it I knew he had accepted Christ and let the past go.

Darrell

Hate and unforgiveness blinds us spiritually because when we hate, we can't see the love of the Father and we lose the light. I was so full of hate for my brother that I couldn't see the light. I grew up in a large family, six brothers and two sisters. I went through alot of hurt from my brother and because of the hate and unforgiveness I felt for him, I lost a great portion of my teenage life. I never felt part of the family and so I became a black sheep. All because of unforgiveness. I walked in the darkness for many years. When I finally found the light and started walking with God, there were many changes in my life and I realized, unless I forgave my brother, I would not find peace. Today God has blessed me so much because I believe the reason is I forgave my brother and live now for the Lord.

As A true believer of Christ Jesus we have taken off he old man and we are made new in Him. As a believer we are new creations and we must through him let the hate and unforgiveness go.... If we dont forgive our brother He will not forgive us. Sometimes it is not easy if there has been great hurt in the past BUT turn it over to Him and He will through His Holy Spirit get you through it. We having hate and unforgiveness we are walking in the dark Just as the Word states if we claim to love Jesus and hate our brother we are a lier and the truth is not in us. How can we hate the one we have seen and love the One we have not seen...... Through God all things are possible and with Him we can do this....

Our spiritual walk and growth becomes slanted, we become full of all the wrong feelings and it will effect us. But when we forgive and love, then we walk free, we dont carry that horrible burden of geting even or wishing harm.

We have been shown how to forgive, the Holy Spirit quides us in all these things. We have been forgiven much, therefore let us forgive our tresspassers.

When we seek His face in prayer and ask for His graceful forgiveness, we walk with Him so therefore we walk in the light, for He is that light.

One of the greatest task of a Christian is to remain in fellowship. Here John is struggling with light and darkness concept to establish the realization of Fellowship. When somebody is hurt it requires a lot of love to, first, stop retaliating, bear the pain, be patient till the wound heals and always neglect the idea of storing vengeance. We somehow need to play the game of life with minimum injuries but it is not the same for everybody. Therefore every individual Christian has to discover himself and struggle to understand and accept others. This then I believe would help us from being blind and also would help us to move from darkness to light or experience the illumination in our Life.

We are blinded by darkness because we are clinging to these offences. They keep us from God and his blessings. We come into the light by praying for forgiveness for our own sins, and for those who have wronged us.

Hate and unforgiveness blinds us and we do not know where we are going. We need to stay ithe light always. Jesus is the Light.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiven blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light? When we hate and forgive, we don't see things as God see them. We are not showing love. We must learn to let go and forgive those that have hurt us. No one said you have to become best friend with them but you must let those hurt and unforgiving go not only for them but so that you can become closer with God. This is what we are to do at all times, in order to be walking in the light of Jesus path. I have learn that it's not worth it, the other person seem as thou they have control over you when you don't let those hurt and pain go.