JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jacob's Depression

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Israel asks his sons,"Why do you keep looking at each other?",and "Why did you tell him you even had another brother ?".Some of the answers to these questions,we know: they were guilty for the loss of Joseph,and conspiracy,and maintaining the lie among them,and of concealing the truth from their father;greater powers than they could understanding were shaping the destiny of their effort,and of all history that proceeds from it.

Then,Jacob PRAYS :"May God grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your older brother and Benjamin come back with you." #1: He asks God's help ! #2 He accepts Judah's offer of himself as security for Benjamin,after rejecting Reuben's off of Reuben's sons, and even asks for blessing on Judah and his mission ("...come back with you").Indeed,Jacob (Israel)is struggling,but he is not overcome by the evil of his own house,or that of the world around him and it's famine.(note that the cup bearer is restored,but the baker is executed).Of himself,Israel says: "As for me,If I am bereaved,I am bereaved".This commitment,by duty,and by faith,of one's self into the hands of one's creator, will later be seen in Esther: "If I die,I die".It may even point to something beyond comparison.

After the first trip, Jacob was angry at the brothers for them mentioning a younger brother in the family. He was determined that the younger brother would not go with them next time.

I think he was super-depressed and had resulting paranoia.

He had experienced many losses--especially that of his favorite wife. Also, being stuck in a famine is difficult and the situation had just become more difficult.

There was no recourse but to send the brothers for grain. There was no where else for them to get it. That was the reality Jacob was dealing with.

Q2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14) What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt? If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him? What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually? Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

He was still thinking that his son Joseph was dead and it was only hunger that made him to allow is sons to go Egypt to buy grain.

Jacob and his sons had no relief from the famine. They could not see God

Q2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14) What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt? If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him? What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually? Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt? He was afraid for his youngest son, Benjamin, and therefore his thoughts were not rational. He could not turn it over to God and he tried to resolve himself.

If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him? As Pastor Ralph wrote that Jacob is being paranoia. He is depressed and worried.

What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually? The lost of loved ones including two sons, Joseph and Simeon and now the possibility of his youngest son, Benjamin.

Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain? I think two reasons. One is he needed the grain, but another reason for changing is that he turned it over to the Lord. He asked the Lord for his blessing in having his sons return to him as stated in Genesis 43:14, And may God Almighty grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved.”

smile.gifQ2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14)

1. What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt?

Jacob is depressed and feels despondent--doesn't feel any hope.

2. If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him?

I would diagnose him with depression and with being paranoid--unable to find any hope and any reason to feel positive.

3. What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually?

Jacob is worried about his sons, Joseph and Simeon and doesn't want to lose his youngest son, Benjamin. Also, he know they need grain.

4. Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

Sometimes when we reach a point where we have no other choice, we turn to God. It is sad that we do not turn to God as our first choice for help. Jacob waited as we often do. However, when he made decision to turn everything to God, he finally felt some peace.

Jacob seems to be thinking only of himself. One of his sons is in an Egyption prison and his youngest son is being asked to accompany his brothers to Egypt. Jacob doesn't think of their feelings and discomfort, but only of how it will affect himself, saying how much he will suffer.

I think Jacob would be diagnosed with a deep, severe and chronic depression and also with paranoia.

He has been mantally and spiritually paralyzed first by Joseph's death coming on top of other bereavements, then the fear of loosing Benjamin too - it has all put him over the top and he is no longer thinking straight.

I think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain when he realised they would all die of starvation if they did not go. I am so glad that he turned back to God at this point, for after praying and asking a blessing on his boys, God seems to have given him a 'release' and he is starting to function like a father again. Praise God.

Love from Greta

:wub:

Q2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14)

What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt?

If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him?

What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually?

Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

Jacob must have been grief-stricken with all the losses he had to endure. First his mother, Rebekah; then his favourite wife, Rachel; also his beloved son, Joseph; and now they want his youngest son, Benjamin. He must have been paralyzed with depression and sorrow, not knowing what is happening to him. Being a psychologist I would write on the patient

Q2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14) What is Jacob’s state of mind after the first trip to Egypt? If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him? What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually? Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

He is very angry with his sons for not handling the situation.

After hearing from his sons what he needed to do brought back memories of his past loss. The thought of losing anyone else especially Benjamin was devastating which

probably moved him into depression

Depression can take a toll on anyone when not seeking God for answers. God is the only source that we have in order to maintain our sanity. Not staying close to Him can

weaken our spirituality as far as discernment, wisdom, strength to do what is right even when you don't understand etc.

Probably after thinking it over he had more to loose than gain had he not done what was asked of his sons by Joseph. And at that point he chose to add God in the picture.

He is very angry with his sons for not handling the situation.

After hearing from his sons what he needed to do brought back memories of his past loss. The thought of losing anyone else especially Benjamin was devastating which

probably moved him into depression

Depression can take a toll on anyone when not seeking God for answers. God is the only source that we have in order to maintain our sanity. Not staying close to Him can

weaken our spirituality as far as discernment, wisdom, strength to do what is right even when you don't understand etc.

Probably after thinking it over he had more to loose than gain had he not done what was asked of his sons by Joseph. And at that point he chose to add God in the picture.

Jacob appears to be frustrated, even to the point of anger, after seeing how his sons handled themselves in Egypt. He was hurting over the lost of those that he cherished so deeply, and the pressure of the famine added to this hurt and frustration.

Basically, I feel he changed his mind simply because he needed food and realized without it he and his family would suffer greatly and perhaps even perish.

Q2 Jacob naturally is anxious and excited to know the outcome of the trip. Revealing

the incident to their father, Jacob became puzzled, confused and trying to analyze

the situation. Fear crept into him when told that the ruler of Egypt demanded for

Benjamin.

Jacob being of age is mentally unstable and insecure. His only hope of survival and

confident is to cling to his son Benjamin. Taking him away from Jacob is like

cutting off one of his limbs and he will be depressed and handicapped for life.

Mentally, the deaths of the people he treasured dearly, his mother, his mother's

nurse, his beloved wife Rachel and his father. The disappearing of his favourite

son, Joseph.

Spiritually, he has not approached God for advice but rather relying on himself.

Jacob changed his mind because:-

i) the famine is getting more severe and there are no more grains left,

ii) the families are starving,

iii) As Reuben has already sacrificed his two sons to stand surety in exchange

and be prepared to take the consequences should Benjamin perished. Judah

personally has pledged to take responsibility for Benjamin.

These have made Jacob more confident in submitting to their plea. Life must go

on, Jacob must let go of his self-pity and not think of himself only.

Q2. (Genesis 42:35-43:14) What is Jacob's state of mind after the first trip to Egypt?

Jacob was still depressed, defeated, and grieving endlessly. The promise forgotten. Fatalistic about life, courage and hope gone.

If you were a psychologist, how would you diagnose him?

I would say he is clinically depressed, having lost the will to live.

What factors have paralyzed Jacob mentally and spiritually?

I think it started when Rachel, his beloved wife died. As I mentioned in Q.1, he may have blamed himself for unwittingly cursing her when he told Laban, that whoever has stolen your idols, "must not live". He knew the power of words, and when she died prematurely after the birth of Benjamin, he may have taken that "guilt" upon himself, besides the grief of losing her. Then when the brothers presented him with the blood stained coat of many colors as "proof" of Joseph's death, he went further into depression. The two people he favored and prized the most were lost to him and he couldn't accept their loss. Their death's stunned and paralyzed him to the point that he forgot the promise. God seems to have been forgotten to him, and he seems to live from then on in survival mode, just going through the motions of existence, like a helpless child needing to be taken care of.

Why do you think Jacob changed his mind about going again to secure grain?

Ch.43:1 BUT the hunger and destitution and starvation were very severe and extremely distressing in the land of Canaan, and they had eaten up the grain from the first trip to Egypt. Benjamin, Rachel's second son was still very much alive, and I think Jacob wanted to insure his survival, since he was all he had left of his beloved wife. I don't think it was to save himself.

Jacob was in a state of depression after the first trip as he remembered the series of deaths- his mother, his father, Rachael his loved wife, Joseph and now Simeon. This was too much for him to bear, he has was very depressed. All these events have paralysed him metally and spiritually. Jacob did not want let his children carry Benjamin to Egypt, a condition given to them if they would be given any grain again. He however changed his mind because their first grain finished and there was hunger threatening.

The meaning of