JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Cleansed ... by the Word of God

The Word of God works in cleansing and purifying as we read, study and take in what God speaks to us. We fill ourselves with the Word and we put it into practice in our daily lives. We come to know we are set apart for better living and we grow in holiness.

The Word of God should be clearly spoken in truth and love to a congregation through many avenues. We can teach or learn during Sunday services, through Bible studies, classes, drama, songs of praise, personal testimony, individual relationships, and in practical application. Congregations should be offered a means by which to practice the Word, as in mission work, or other means that implement "going out" and putting the Word into action.

I grow the most I think when I see others live the Word. That gives me hope that my goals are attainable and true Christianity can be a way of life, not just a "do as I say, not as I do" scenario.

We should teach the truth about our salvation through Jesus Christ and help others see His great love for all of us. He has compassion on all He has made. We should be patient and loving as individuals grow, letting the Holy Spirit draw them to Himself. We should be examples of His love to others. Agape love that accepts as is but is never content to leave anyone behind.

We should encourage with the Word and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting. We should love others so much we develop a bond of peace and grace between us that nutures a trust that enables us to help each other gropw to spiritual maturity. We should grow together, jealously guarding each other to be presented clean and spotless to the bridegroom.

God is good. God is love.

We should help others to know how high and wide and deep His love really is. It is that love that fills us and overflows out to others. We live a life of devotion to Him because of His love, not because we are afraid of hell, but because we love Him. Even discipline and consequences for our sin end up with us back in His arms again when we belong to Him.

If anyone is afraid of God as I once was.....the good news is....when you accept Him, you accept His love and when you accept His love...He REALLY loves you. He helps you and He never, ever gives up on anyone. You're just His. Pure and simple.

• 7 months later...
Q4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process? How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes? How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance? Exposition

As we pray read and study God's word - It will not return void but will accomplish that which God has set forth for it to accomplish. Gods Word will challenge and convict us of our faults and shortcomings.

The Word of God should be preached in Love. Yes there is a hell to stay away from and people need to realize that hell is real - however it is the LOVE of GOD that draws men to HIM. If Christ is lifted up people will be drawn to HIM and convicted of their sins.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process?

We are cleanse by the Word of God that saves us through faith to repentence.

How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes?

The Word of God must be taught to the congregants, so that their faith may grow.

How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance?

Hearing the Word of God itself causes people to come to repentence and a transformation takes place.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process? How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes? How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance? Exposition

I believe the Spirit has triggered my curiosity on this particular scripture and from my studies it appears to be one of a great deal of speculation. I am leaning toward "cleansed her by the washing of water" as being

used in the same sense as the cross reference Titus 3:5, "washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit" rather than having anything to do with physical baptism since we know the Church is made of more than those who have been.

"With the word" either refers to the written word or possibly "rhema", which is the revealed word spoken as it is heard from the Holy Spirit. My NASB Study Bible gives cross references to Jesus with the disciples where He tells them they are clean "because of the word which I have spoken to you", so I am inclined to believe perhaps it is "rhema" and not the written word at all. I believe the church is in a continual state of "baptism" by the Holy Spirit and the way it plays out is through the individual members contributing, through their personal relationship with the Lord, what he or she has to offer. (Spiritually -- I am not referring to works.) Paul sets a decorum for this I believe in I Cor. 14:26 and he says, let all things be done for edification, i.e. spiritual growth, true? The assumption is made in the latter part of the question that "word" here is referring to the written word, but it clearly states that it is the love of God and not wrath that brings about repentence. I believe this is what the Lord may be saying to me about Ephesians 5:26. ^_^

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process? How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes? How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance?

The Word of God is continually cleansing the believer from the defilement and pollution of sin. The living, cleansing Word of God changes the hearts of human-beings when permitted.

The Word of God must be preached and sytematically taught to the congregation for them to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. In order for them to grow into mature Christians.

Again, the Word of God must be preached and sytematically taught in order for people to grow into a mature Christian. Fear is only a temporary emotion with no long standing effect. The power of God's Word when read and studied daily in prayer has long term, lasting effect in the hearts and lives of people.

You can never truly know and begin to understand God without systematically being in His Word. That is why he provided it to us.

Q4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process? How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes? How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance?

The Word of God is continually cleansing the believer from the defilement and pollution of sin. The living, cleansing Word of God changes the hearts of human-beings when permitted.

The Word of God must be preached and sytematically taught to the congregation for them to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. In order for them to grow into mature Christians.

Again, the Word of God must be preached and sytematically taught in order for people to grow into a mature Christian. Fear is only a temporary emotion with no long standing effect. The power of God's Word when read and studied daily in prayer has long term, lasting effect in the hearts and lives of people.

You can never truly know and begin to understand God without systematically being in His Word. That is why he provided it to us.

Jesus said to the religious leaders of his day, who knew the scripture systematically, forward and backward: "Ye search the scriptures because in them ye think ye have eternal life, and while it is they that bear witness of me, you will not come to me."

(Partly my paraphrase, but the meaning is clear, he is a living, breathing, personable God, who wants you to come to Him in

a relationship.) The old testament records that Enoch, who had no scriptures at all, "walked" with God and God took him. The early churches had little, if any scripture, and many were illiterate. They, however, experienced power unheard of in institutionalized religion today, and I have to believe they matured, just like we true believers do today, by the power of the Holy Spirit. God says his word won't return unto him void, and it will not, but the God I know cannot be limited or put in a box and I fear too much systemization of anything easily turns into legalism.

It has been my experience that when I was most heavily in the Bible I was trying to pin God down and searching for"the" answers.

Now I find that he's God, I'm not, and he is most happy to share with me any answers that he believes I need, when he

believes I need them. In the meantime, I just get to enjoy life, and that's freedom. It's the freedom Christ died for and intended for us, His Bride, when he said, you're gonna find that my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Praise Jesus!! He's such a big, awesome God who became simple enough to come in flesh and identify with us, because of his

indescribable love.

Rita

• 1 month later...

From ANGELONLINE....(Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process?

The Word of God shows that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior, that we were cleansed and purified of our sins by His Death on the Cross.

How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes?

The Good News should be the emphasis of the Church. The Word should be used in Prayer, Worship and Praise and should be the priority of the congregation.

How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance?

By preaching God

• 4 months later...

The Word of God is what cleanses us by convicting us of our sin and leading to repentance, for those so willing. Preaching and teaching the unaltered Word will allow the Holy Spirit to do His work within the body. There is no need to try to scare people with threats of going to hell. God's Word will stand on His own merits and accomplish what He intends for it to do. Those who believe will receive.

It seems to me that the Word declares that the Lord responds and sees the Church as a finished, good work. We as the Church must begin perceiving, receiving and applying the same wrinkle free Church vision that God has already made us into and called us to walk in.

God has done the work so we need to begin to fully and truly believe in it and speak it to ourselves and others. God did not only say that either you follow me our die, He also said that we are fearfully wonderfully made, that we are His and He wants us to live more abundantly. Once we received Christ and accepted our place as daughters and sons of God then we were immediately transformed into His new creatures. We have to get beyond our natural eyes and look into His Word for our new vision of ourselves and our Church. We must ask God to reveal this new creature to us and trust Him to do so.

• 1 year later...

4. (Ephesians 5:26) How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process? How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes? How can we use the word for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance?

"Through/by the word" is translate from the Greek preposition en. The preposition is a "marker introducing means or instrument, with." So in light of this verse it is what makes us clean, the "soap", figuratively. Later in Ephesians 6:17 Paul writes that we must "take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," The word has power. This is a spiritual power to cleanse us. The Church therefore must embrace the word of God. Allow it to fill us and lead us to complete is will. The word fills a void, an emptiness or hollowness that rests in our being. Threats of hellfire and scare tactics does not produce voluntary submission but rather an outward "act" of obedience. God's salvation transforms us.

• 10 months later...

The Word of God works in the cleansing process by the renewing of the mind. As we feed our mind the word everyday, we ingest or take in the truths of the word. Little by little, the truth replaces all those false things we have believed and been taught over the years. As we accept the truth and start to be aware and live the truth and put aside the old life, we are cleansed from those practices that were wrong and against God and start to live cleaner lives for Him. Our very minds are changed and retrained to think on better things and ways pleasing to God.

In our congregations, the Word should be taught with truth and clarity, by the Pastor during service and by teachers in small groups or Bible studies. Our children should be taught at their level as well as our youth. And, I think the Word should be taught with a viable way to LIVE the truth. So many "know" the word, but never really live it. The Word needs to be lived alongside others in relationship through friendships and mentoring as we see first hand a life like Jesus would have had. I don't think anything destroys the "seemingly" credibility of the word faster that one who "says" it but never lives it....and the world is watching!

I think we use the Word for purification without sinking into threats and hell fire by teaching first and foremost the love of God and who we are in Christ. When one sins, nothing writes on the heart like knowing you've been loved and forgiven as is. Renewing of the mind takes effort to be in the word and time to understand. Loving anyone through their troubles and struggles, sharing that they are not alone in fighting temptations and sin, sharing in the Word how God sees us through, giving hope to overcome by the Word are all ways that lead to a purified life. If we are harsh, people give up, become discouraged and never know who they are as children of God and never will try to live to that standard, just because they found a loving Father and have a desire to please Him. That's not forced, that's from the heart and true inner change.

• 3 months later...

Q4.(Ephesians 5:26)

How does the word of God work in the cleansing, purifying process?

As we hear the Word our lives are being cleansed. Just as the blood of Christ cleanses once for all from the guilt and penalty of sin, so the Word of God cleanses continually from the defilement and pollution of sin.

It must be a teaching congregation, hungry for the Word of God. The Word taught at Sunday School, Bible Studies and at every opportunity.

We are to teach the Word in love, but never compromising to adjust to our present day norms

• 7 months later...

Pastor Ralph, please delete post #40 and 41. They are horrible!

• 1 month later...

4a)The word chastens us,,instructs us, heals us from hurts, releases from all that holds us back through Spirit of God ministering freeing us as we inwardly absorb scripture. We are free in Christ through this enlightenment.

B)Through Spirit led faithful biblically based, balanced,preaching &teaching by pastors & teachers.. C)God’s word brings love,instruction,comfort & hope to one and all.If it is shared with people in love& matched by the actions of our lives, the Holy Spirit will touch people where& how they they need him to.We need to allow room for him to work, and sew the seeds for Him to water.

• 2 weeks later...

a. God instructs us in what we should and shouldn't do. We must obey Him and repent when we do wrong.

b. Gods word, from the Bible, should be taught, preached, lived by.

c. Jesus said to love one another. His comandment, second only to His commandment to love God, worship Him. Others should be able to ee our love for God and each other and want that way of living too.

• 3 weeks later...

The word of God works in the cleansing, purifying process by encouraging us to forgive one another. It also reforms us that our savior has been through similar situations and can understand what we are going through. The word of God should be implemented in a congregation to achieve these purposes by the preaching of the word. We can use this purification without relying upon the threats of hellfire by the love of our God.

• 3 years later...

The word of God will help people  to find an uplifting in their souls. They comfort, give hope and give guidance. They can help to purify a person's thoughts. If the true words are spoken and explained in a loving way, a congreagation can and will grow in the love of Christ. We need to open up and let the feelings of the words come through our teachings. We need to be able to communicate in a way that shows people that Christ was human and that He knows what it was like then and what it is like now. We need to know that the words in the bible are actually alive. And we just need to live them.

• 2 months later...

how does the word of God work in the cleansing and purifying process?

the cleansing process begins because Christ love the church, loves the church. Christ makes the church holy or sanctifies her, he cleanse the church and washes the church clean buy bathing her in his spirit. This is all done through the word which was brought to us through Christ Jesus our Lord.

how should this be implemented in the church?

the word of the Lord must be preached in the church, the people in the church must be aware, strongly aware that Jesus died on the cross for our sins was dead and buried and lives with us the church forever and ever.congregations must be made to realize that they are too except the Christ in their lives and live in him and be with him throughoutour lives.

without using Hellfire sermons is as possible to encourage and environment of love. in such an environment people should respond to God and to each other in love. it would be hoped then but the peoplewill realize the need for repentance in our lives and then turn to the living God who sustains us and holds us in his breast.

• 5 years later...

How does the word of God work in cleansing, purifying process?

Jesus himself told his disciples that they're cleansed because of the word which He have spoken to them.All the people who are belived in him are washed,sanctified and cleansed by the washing of the water with the word of God.

How should the word of God be implemented in a congregation to achieve this process.

There must be Bible studies, home cells, and symposiums where a word of can be clarified to those people who do not understand the word of God. Some they do not understand on how to walk with God after repenting.

How can we use the word of God for purification without relying upon threats of hellfire to scare people into repentance.

Jesus himself told us that  we need the Holy Spirit who can give us wisdom to preach the gospel so that we may mature in the faith, grow in grace and stand firm on the truth  of the gospel of Christ.He is the one who will teach us how to speak with people.So that we may not be judgemental.