JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Lord's Prayer and Forgiveness

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a person prays the Lord's prayer without thinking of what they are saying & taking it to heart, they can curse themselves--if you don't forgive others, you won't be forgiven either.

Forgiveness is not a work for righteousness, it is a work because of the forgiveness we have rec'd & the righteousness paid for us by Jesus on the cross.

We shouldn't be forgiving others to receive forgivenss ourselves, but to desire to be more like Jesus -- make forgiveness a new lifestyle!

Q4 The Lord's Prayer was the first prayer Jesus taught His disciples and us to God

the Heavenly Father. Every word we utter in the prayer is a dialogue with God.

Therefore, we need to be sincere about it otherwise we are making a mockery out of

it and it will be thrown back onto us. As it is said, 'what you reap is what you

harvest.'

No, forgiving in order to be forgiven is not a kind of "righteousness works."

Relationship is always a two way traffic. If we confess we love God and want to be

His children, then we need to live life right with God. We need to let go of the

bondage to sin and hate and be free to enjoy the privilege God has for His children.

Sin is the non-acceptance of our relationship to God as Creator. As sin distorts

our relationship and friendship with God, repentance must come from an inner

willingness to mourn for the wrongful act, to return to the known will of God, and

to walk in God's good company.

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person? Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of "righteousness by works"? Why or why not?

Answer:

1 How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person?

The Bible says that the tongue is the most powerful member of our body.(James 3:6- And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.).

If we don

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lords Prayer become a curse upon a person? Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of righteousness by works? Why or why not?

How could praying the Lords Prayer become a curse upon a person? I dont think its so much a curse but more a reflection of our own weaknesses. Too often we think we deserve to be forgiven but those who have wronged us must pay for their sins. When we pray the Lord's prayer, it is a sober reminder that we are also sinners and if God can forgive us, who are we to decide not to forgive others.

Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of righteousness by works? Why or why not? I think we already know God is merciful and willing to forgive us so there is no need for us to work toward it. However, since we know of God's mercy and goodness toward us, we should extend the same to others. Therefore we should be ready to forgive even though we do not feel like it.

Praying the Lord's Prayer can become a curse upon a person if they pray without really meaning it.

I believe that forgiving someone in order to be forgiven by God isn't a kind of "righteousness by works." It is important that we let go of our bondage to sin and hate that we may be free. Only by freely forgiving others do we truly know God's forgiveness to us for our sins.

Praying the Lord's prayer may become a curse when we are still holding grudges against pepople but at the same time ask God to forgive us "as we forgive...". We are simply saying God continue to hold gruges against me as I am holding agaist others!!! I never saw this side of the prayer before!!

However, how I mostly pray is "teach/ help me to forgive those who trespass against me.."

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person? Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of "righteousness by works"? Why or why not?

It could be a curse for the words said in Prayer are mostly not fulfilled. For example, when we ask to be forgiven of our sins as we forgive and we don't, it becomes a curse upon us, for we lie to God. I think this shouldn't be a question. it should be a statement that "forgiving in order to be forgiven is a kind of righteousness by works". Because we sin several times in several ways, if people sin against us, we have what we can use as payment for our sins we commit if we forgive them.

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person? Because we are asking the Lord to forgive us as we forgive others. If we do not forgive fully, then God will not forgive fully. If we forgive just a little, then God can

• 2 weeks later...

4a )If we pray forgive those people who sin against us(cause us hurt) but at the same time hold a grudge against those people,we could bring a curse on us, as we are not fully forgiving. sad.gif

B)Forgiving others,even our enemies, is living as Jesus taught. Being forgiven by God is a consequence & others maybe a bonus.smile.gif Living as Jesus asks of us is the right thing to do;we seek him &his righteousness to enter kingdom,not because of any actions we may do. cool.gif We cannot do anything to repay the debt we owe for Jesus sacrifice.

I do not believe that praying the Lord's Prayer can become a curse on someone because it is intended to bring Life to people. It is a guide as Jesus said, on how to pray to the Father, how to address Him and what we should ask for. It teaches us to seek forgiveness from the Father, to forgive others and to seek His deliverance from evil. Is forgiving to be forgiven a kind of righteousness? I think it is because Jesus tells us that we must forgive to be forgiven. And keep in mind that God knows our true heart our true thoughts so we cannot scheme our way through. We must "truly" forgive someone to be forgiven.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...