JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"? Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

What does the image of a door say to us about the kingdom of God? Jesus' story about the door being shut to those who come too late suggests they had offended their host and deserved to be excluded. It was customary for teachers in Jesus' time to close the door on tardy students and not allow them back for a whole week in order to teach them a lesson in discipline and faithfulness. Jesus told this story in response to the question of who will make it to heaven. Many rabbis held that all Israel would be saved, except for a few blatant sinners who excluded themselves! After all, God specially chose them when he established a covenant with them. Jesus doesn't directly answer the question, however; but his response is nonetheless unsettling on two counts. First, Jesus surprised his listeners by saying that one's membership as a covenanted people does not automatically mean entry into the kingdom of God. Second, Jesus asserts that many from the gentile nations would enter God's kingdom. God's invitation is open to Jew and Gentile alike. But Jesus warns that we can be excluded if we do not strive to enter by the narrow door. What did Jesus mean by this expression? The door, which Jesus had in mind, was himself. I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved (John 10:9

Pax

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"? Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

What does the image of a door say to us about the kingdom of God? Jesus' story about the door being shut to those who come too late suggests they had offended their host and deserved to be excluded. It was customary for teachers in Jesus' time to close the door on tardy students and not allow them back for a whole week in order to teach them a lesson in discipline and faithfulness. Jesus told this story in response to the question of who will make it to heaven. Many rabbis held that all Israel would be saved, except for a few blatant sinners who excluded themselves! After all, God specially chose them when he established a covenant with them. Jesus doesn't directly answer the question, however; but his response is nonetheless unsettling on two counts. First, Jesus surprised his listeners by saying that one's membership as a covenanted people does not automatically mean entry into the kingdom of God. Second, Jesus asserts that many from the gentile nations would enter God's kingdom. God's invitation is open to Jew and Gentile alike. But Jesus warns that we can be excluded if we do not strive to enter by the narrow door. What did Jesus mean by this expression? The door, which Jesus had in mind, was himself. I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved (John 10:9

Pax

Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as narrow?

I believe that the entrance shows restricted limitations. Not just anyone an enter.Only those who have a true repented heart and have been washed by the Blood of the Lamb. Those who have taken their share of the inheritance of the Kingdom.The narrow passage is singular meaning that there is only one means of our acceptance and that is by the way of The Old Rugged Cross.

Why will many people try to enter and will not be allowed to?

The reason I believe is that they are procrastinators. Many will put off to the last moment what is so important even to theit own distrustion. Truely the light that came into the world has been snuffed out by the devil. The lord is fair and just and desires that all have an opportunity to enter his kingdom. As it was in the days of Noah he told them of the coming judgement but they wre imprudent at heart. They thought that the Great Flood was just plain foolish. But once the door of the ark was closed their fate had been sealed. I have often heard my mother say for she is in her eighties and surely has been an eye witness to history. And that saying states that history repeats itself.If God says it will happen why question him. God is serious about sin. The bible says that today is the day of salvation so do not let it pass us by for with the blink of an eye it could be gone forever.

Answer:

1. Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"?

Because,those who wants to get in,should give up all their excess weight, of sinfulness,and self righteousness,and accept ACCEPT JESUS as their Lord and Saviour,which in those days and until now still reject the Lordship of Jesus.

2. Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"?

Because,they think that there are many ways to enter the kingdom.Trusting and praying to this saints,to that wooden image,trusting on their goodness,and self righteousness to squeeze them inside the kingdom.

When Jesus clearly said that there is no other way,but Me:

John 14:6-Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

3. Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

Some of the reason could be,for they don

It is narrow because the entrance fee is high! Not all who try will get there!

Many refuse to do what Christ says to do and simply are not ready.

People who delay in coming will miss the boat! We don't have alot of time before He comes again!

I never thought about many people coming to a narrow doorway at one time......

Entrance into the Kingdome of God requires an effort. It is thus as if many people are trying to enter a room through a narrow door but find it very hard to have acces. Those who may try to enter but will not be allowed into the kingdom of God are those who have not been serious in their commitment and their service to the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus characterizes the entrance to the kingdom as narrow because what it takes to pass through the gate into the kingdom is what most can't comply to. Many people will not be able to enter into the kingdom because they don't comply to regulations for entering the kingdom of God. Most people delay entering because they don't have full Biblical teaching, they are not patient, they don't know the goodness in the kingdom, and because they compromise what is Godly with the fleeting pleasure of the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"? I think that for me, I know that the Bible teaches obedience to the law, which is in reality, how God wanted His children to be able to live in the same environment, all with the same regulations on how to live communally. I do not see any difference in how jesus teaches these same regulations or rules as some call them. many folks are taught and truly believe that we are no longer bound by the law, which in fact, they never were themselves. If one stops to think about it, why would God bring the folks out of eqypt and bondage in slavery to put them right back into it? The law is basically the way that God wants mankind to live and it is not really all so hard to do. One has to stay focused on the main goal, the end result. No, obedience to the law can not and never could save anyone. But once one is truly born again, I believe that they can, with the help of the Holy Spirit

• 2 weeks later...

2a)Described as narrow to indicate it is confined to only those who repent of their old way of life & change &follow Jesus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...