JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Moses the Murderer

Moses' motivation to suffer with the people of GOD, and to defend the poor were of a good character and of goodwill. Moses' family roots are of good ground, and he had the desire to do the right thing, and bring equality to his people. However the "shedding" of man's blood by man (Genesis 9:6) was a negative action which gave way to fear and his flight to Midian. At this time in his life he was not ready to be the leader GOD had already planned for him to be. GOD was preparing Moses to totally depend, rely, and trust in HIM.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses' motivation, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster?

Motivation: I believe Moses motivation was that of seeking

Here I am editing out another reprint.....does anyone know why this happened???? or how to eliminate a whole page????

I'm so embarrassed! JanMary

To err is human, but this is ridiculous! I've erased 4 reprints, but cannot eliminate the pages. This has never happened before!

I'm so sorry!

JanMary

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses' motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster?

Moses motive was to provide justice for his people, and to relieve their suffering. In V.11 he "looked and saw their burdens." Good motive but wrong method. His attempt was more like a vigilante gunslinger who dominates with fear and power. His character was formed in a godless, idolatrous nation, whose Pharaoh ruled with an iron fist, so Moses was doing what he had learned, and in his zeal, thought he could single handedly liberate his brethren one conflict at a time. He knew he was a Hebrew, but had no relationship with his people who saw him as a privileged outsider. He had not earned their respect, and therefore could not lead them. Killing was against the law of their God, so now he was a murderer.

What positive things do you see in his character?

I see zeal, compassion, the desire to do the right thing and to help people. He was willing to step up and fight for what he believed was right. He had lived a privileged life and experienced the power and favor of that position, which can be a positive influence in society if used correctly and with the right motivation, but he lacked wisdom and foresight. His action can be viewed as heroic, in defending one who cannot defend oneself.

What negative things do you discern?

I think he was both arrogant and naive in misjudging the power he possessed. He was only bold when he thought the murder was his secret, then he fled in terror when confronted, rather than taking responsibility for his actions. (Although we know THAT was wisdom.....Pharaoh most likely would have killed him for helping the oppressed slaves who were building his kingdom!)

At the time Moses killed the Egyptian, his character was lacking. Yes, he had a sense of justice and he was coming in to identifying with who he was and his people. He had a sense of anger for the injustice he witnessed....but his actual demeanor and character were destroyed because of his lack of self control. He was impulsive, took matters into his own hands, using not only an illegal mean to solve the problem but an immoral one. The end never justifies the means. True Godly character is everything. At this point, Moses was not under any wise counsel nor did he use the legal means or the prestige he had available in a good way to help his people. And, he had some sense that what he was doing was wrong and let his emotions rule over his character anyway. Also, at this point, he had started to identify with his people, but the people had no means of identifying with HIM. That would have been important to be recognized as "helping" them or "for them" as opposed to causing them more grief. He clearly did not have true empathy for their lives as "empathy" is something we have lived out ourselves so we truly DO have understanding in any particular plight.

I think he was tired of seeing his 'own people' abused. He'd had a lifetime of it and couldn't take it anymore. He was identifying more with the Jews than the Egyptians for some reason at that point. He had developed a sense of compassion for them. His character was undergoing some transformation, I think. Seems to me God was already working on his heart in preparation for what he was going to be called to do. Running away and hiding looks cowardly but has a higher purpose as part of the necessary changes to bring him to accept God's call. Bad behaviour does not always end badly. I don't see anything here that would indicate leadership ability.

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster? What positive things do you see in his character? What negative things do you discern

We learn that he identifies himself with his people, as a Hebrew. We also learn that he has a feeling of apathy toward the Hebrew people and wants justice for them. By Killing the Egyptian who is beating the Hebrew, Moses feels he is getting instant justice. He does not take it before the Court. Here we learn that Moses may be a quick tempered man,and a man who would not tolerate anymore injustice to HIS people.He is decisive, a man of action and decides to kill the Egyptian in a fit of rage..And he is physically strong enough to do it.he is acting on his own will,he does not know yet that his life is being directed by God.

negative- he is not a natural leader when ask by the Hebrews who are you? He fails to answer, and turns and (cowardly) runs away.

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster? What positive things do you see in his character? What negative things do you discern?

Moses came to a jumping off point in his life, a point where he had to make a choice to stand up for the oppressed. He took a stand against the sever cruelty being done to his people, but doing so in secret shows that he was not fully committed.

Moses had many privileges and was living a pretty good life. This brings to mind the answer Jesus gave the rich young ruler when he asked, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus looked at him and loved him. One thing you lack, he said. Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.

The LORD revealed to everyone what Moses had done in secret and it forced him to become fully committed. I think God likes fully committed people, don't you?

Darrell

In the book of Acts and Hebrews when mentioning Moses referencing this incident it is a retelling of the incident. We today can only speculate upon what was retold. Moses once he was weaned from the nursing of his biological mother went back to his surrogate / adopted mother. From these two mothers and by way of ethnic difference Moses knew that he was not a blood Egyptian. For more than 30 year he grew up as a prince in Egypt and all its entitlements. Moses was not physically blind for years he saw the way non-Egyptians were treated. Then something happens as he witness the cruel treatment of one Hebrew slave in this instance. Moses was not through his actions at this point was not indecisive if he was in God's will because he did not have a relationship with God, he did not know God, he probably knew of God and maybe even about God, but he did not know Him. God has His perfect will, and thing there is His permissive will. So many things happens because sin exist, God ordained Moses to be a leader, however He did not ordain Moses to kill this Egyptian. The murder happened be sin exist.

What do we learn about Moses

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster? What positive things do you see in his character? What negative things do you discern?

Moses was a rash and impulsive young man. He was raised as an Egyptian and very well educated. But the injustice, that he saw, that was being put upon his fellow hebrews, was more then he could bear. He snapped and took the sitution into his own hands. He knew what he was about to do was wrong, because he looked around before he killed the Egyptian. To cover up what he did, he buried the man in the sand. Moses, knew that Pharaoh, would hear about what he had done and have him killed.

I don't believe Moses was ready to be a leader, yet. But he did have a heart for his people and God would use this. :rolleyes:

I believe Moses was motivated by curiosity about his Hebrew brethren. He had been raised as one of the elite in Egyptian society. Now that he

was grown up, he wanted to learn more about the other part of his heritage. When he went to observe the Hebrews, he saw an Egyptian overseer

beating a Hebrew slave. Perhaps Moses was motivated by outrage at the overseer's behavior; perhaps he thought by helping the Hebrew slave he

could show that he, too, was a Hebrew and not "just" one of the Egyptians. He looked around to see if anyone was looking; no one was, so he

killed the Egyptian overseer and buried him in the sand. The scriptures didn't say if the Hebrew was still there when he did this, but it is

most likely the slave ran away as soon as he was free from the overseer; the slave probably told all the others what had happened.

Some of the positive facets of Moses' character were his ability to think quickly and take action when required. He did stop and think long

enough to see if someone was watching him, but did not seem to worry about the consequences once he had buried the Egyptian overseer. He was very

surprised the next day when he came upon some more Hebrew slaves who were fighting each other. When he asked them why they were fighting among

themselves, they asked him who was he to be over them? Was he going to kill them, too, like he killed the Egyptian overseer? This was a shock

to Moses because they did not seem to appreciate what he did.

Some of the negative facets of Moses' character at this time were his seeming impulsiveness and lack of forethought when he took action by

murdering the overseer. He seemed to be confused as to who he was and did not show any awareness of God at this time.

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses' motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster? What positive things do you see in his character? What negative things do you discern?

Answer:

1.What do we learn about Moses' motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster?

-.Moses motivation,is compassion,pity,to his brother who was being subjected under harsh labor condition and when He saw that the Egyptian soldier physically hurting His Brother,He kille Him

I'm so embarrassed! JanMary

Hi JanMary,

Don't be embarrassed.It also happened to me.I think the reason of multiple post is because you click,the add reply a number of times,especially if your internet server is slow,sometimes you are not sure if your post is in or not,so you click again and again...

Anyway,it also happened to me..and all you can do if that happened is just click edit to your numerous post and delete all the content...

By the way How's the book you are writing?Is it finished?

I'm glad to see you in this class.

Cheers,to our Lord Jesus,for all the spiritual blessings that we already have.

Ramon