JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Moses the Murderer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moses had a strong feeling for his fellow Jews and was not happy that they were being maltreated by the Egyptians. He was also a leader who wanted to take charge and to protect his fellow Jews. He was physically strong.

However he had no leadership authority. Furthermore, he murdered in his effort to ensure justice.

I think what we learn from his motivation, character and leadership ability is that truly his motivation, I think, is pure in the sense that he saw an unjustice and he wanted to make it right, however, that leads to what we see in his character, which is that he went about trying to achieve that justice in the wrong way. We must remember that, being raised by royalty, he was probably not accustomed to having to "wait" for much. For him and those in the royal family, "instant gratification", as one of our other members stated, was probably a way of life for royalty. I don't think we see anything of leadership ability in his actions, just a reaction to something he knew was not right. The positive thing I see is mainly that he knew who he really was! Many times we react in the flesh and we don't handle things right but ultimately at the end of the day we know who we really are in Christ. He knew he was not Egyptian and he knew where his heritage and his loyalty really was. I think it is even a positive thing that he was smart enough to run. He should have been afraid, he should have felt fear, and the knowledge that if he stayed he would have to be sorry for doing something he wasn't really sorry for and would have to align himself with people he now knew he could not align himself with, was probably more than he knew he could do. A very wrong action had some positive results because ultimately he was chosen by a God who knows our hearts, our motives, is merciful and makes good things come from our foolish actions. I'm glad we serve a God like that!!

Moses of Exodus 2 was simply a man that had been put in a position that required immediate action, and he took action without much thought. Being an adopted son, he would not have been a ruler of Egypt; he would have at best been a general in the army or more likely been a taskmaster over the Israelites. Many people refer to natural born leaders; it has been my experience (20 years in the USMC) that there is no such thing. Leaders are taught from an early age, some from birth, be it King Leonidas at the battle of Thermopylae, Alexander the Great, George Patton, or Ronald Reagan all were taught leadership form the time they were young children. This is the case with Moses, had he not been raised as the grandchild of Pharaoh he would not have been trained to be a leader. His character was such that he could not standby and watch as his fellow Jews were being beaten. As for what positive things I see in his character, is that he saw a problem and did what he thought would fix it, and as to the negative he tried the quick fix instead of standing up to Pharaoh.

Bill

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Exodus 2:11-15a) What do we learn about Moses' motivations, character, and leadership ability from the incident of him killing the cruel Egyptian taskmaster? What positive things do you see in his character? What negative things do you discern?

I think Moses was motivated by a sense of identity as a Hebrew who was forced to watch the increasing unjust and murderous oppression against his own people. He understood this cruel injustice. But he certainly seems to have acted impulsively, out of an emotional response (never a good idea!) rather than a reasonable objective one. It would appear that he may have been somewhat arrogant, in thinking he could get away with this murder (vs.12) and possibly in esteeming his reputation/influence a little too highly among the Hebrews. I think he was probably not just afraid that his actions were known but also shocked at the negative reaction to his leadership effort (vs.13). But Moses was not yet personally ready to have that kind of influence over them. He lacked wisdom and thoughtful control. They had no reason to trust him to guide their behavior or speak as their conscience.

There were several positives about Moses. He cared about the Hebrews and looked on their situation with compassion. He had a sense of moral judgment and justice. He was decisive and proactive in righting a wrong, even though his own actions were wrong in doing so. (Maybe this was how he’d seen Egyptians handle such things and was acting out of that example?)

The negatives include some degree of arrogance and rashness, probably expecting respect from the Hebrews because of his elevated status. Most importantly, he had no personal reliance on whatever Hebrew faith he had in Yahweh.

Q1:Moses thought noone was watching so he thought he could get away withit sin is sin you will have to answer for it. Moses should have took a different approach his angryness caused him to murder.When the 2 hebrew were fighting he tryed to help.But when the hebrew & the egyptian were he killed him and tryed to cover it up u know u did something wrong u might get away with it in this life time but u will have to answer to the lord for it moses weas a born leader god just had to bring that out of him .just as christ does with us if we belong to him amen god. Postive god was working on his character neg was sin amen.

Hi, my name is Raksie. I am from the Vaal Triangle in Gauteng, South Africa. the church that I attend is The Apostolic Faith Mission. Looking eorward to enhance my knowledge of the Word and to learn skills to aply such to my own life.

Walk on Water,

Raksie.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

His motivation was to protect the life of his brethen from the egyptian,his people was being abysed while he lived a life if luxury. His character shiws compassion and mercy but a quickness to react to what mistreatment was being carried out,he felt this was the only way. As a leader he didnt use the wisdom and right actions,then the next day it was too late he got caught and the pharaoh sought to kill him cause he committed a capital crime punishable by death. The positive was compassion,mercy and a sense of love but the negative he wasnt in control and didnt think before acting.

Q1. Moses identified himself as a Hebrew although groomed and natured as an Egyptian, he also had a strong sense of basic justice in him( however subjective that sense was). He was a decisive man, willing to take charge, hence the intervention to rescue his fellow Hebrew from cruelty. He may have had a sense of being called into leadership at that time, even a prince in his own right (Prince of Pharaoh’s family) but had no influence at all and neither was His leadership recognized by the Hebrews.

The positive notable about his character is his decisiveness and strength. The lack of influence, him being oblivious that he is acting for God. He was fearful and was not able to stand for the consequences of his actions; These are the negatives. Amen

• 2 months later...

Moses had a sense of compassion and fairness. He believed then in self justice.

Moses was motivated to act on his own sense of protecting another Hebrew in settling an issue.

Moses was not yet on the path of becoming a leader. He did show a level of decisiveness, which is important in any leader. What I believe he did was to take the situation in his own hands, considering his country had a legal system in place.

Moses was alert and ready to show mercy and justice. He was ready to defend for a good cause.

He took the situation in his own hands. He had alternatives. He was very impulsive.