JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God is Angry with Moses

even after God had shown Moses that He would be with him, Moses still wanted to back out and not do God's will.

This made God angry with Moses.

Moses still was focussing on his own disabililities instead of on God's ability.

When we focus inward all we see are our shortcomgings and its difficult to believe that we can be more.

It was definitely going to take Moses out of his comfort zone of just tending sheep.

When God agreed to let his brother do the speaking then Moses was more willing.

I am not sure I ever felt God was angry with me but I know I've disappointed him many times.

Its when I know I've obeyed him that I feel the most satisfied and more at one with him.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God is angry with Moses because of his unbelief and lack of faith.  God has talked  to him thru a burning bush, kept him alive when all the male children were killed.  Allowed him to kill and Egyptian and survive to go back to Egypt.  Turned his staff into a serpent and he still doubts.  GOD will take us to remembrance of the things he has already delivered us and others from when we doubt.  Yes I am sure he has been angered with me.  Moses obeys and returns to Egypt with his family.

God is angry with Moses because of his unbelief and lack of faith.  God has talked  to him thru a burning bush, kept him alive when all the male children were killed.  Allowed him to kill and Egyptian and survive to go back to Egypt.  Turned his staff into a serpent and he still doubts.  GOD will take us to remembrance of the things he has already delivered us and others from when we doubt.  Yes I am sure he has been angered with me.  Moses obeys and returns to Egypt with his family.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a) Why is God angry with Moses? What is Moses’ basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience? Do you think the Lord has ever been angry with you? How did Moses appease God’s anger?

God is angry with Moses because God called Moses out of Midian to free his people from Pharaoh. When God calls us to do something, we must do it and because of Moses' fear of his insecurities, he probably felt that he wasn't the right person to do this especially since he is 80 years old at this time and probably felt he didn't have influence over anyone. I think out of all those three, you can say that fear plays the biggest influence out of the other two. If you are fearful, you basically don't believe in what God says he can do and at the same time are being disobedient to what God has called you to do. I know in my life, God has been angry at me as well because of my stubborness but I know he is still patient. And he will always get me to my destination even if it takes a while. Moses appeases God's anger by finally doing what he has been told to do but only after he found help from Aaron. Even though God was angry at Moses, he was still patient and sent him Aaron to help ease some of his fears. I know it's always nice to have a sidekick because for me, if I have one friend to do something with then it kind of lifts some of the burden off of me and we can feed off of each other.

• 11 months later...

1.God was angry with Moses because he was still afraid despite God showing him signs that he will be with him, in order to strengthen Moses faith. Yet Moses disobeyed God for not heeding to God instructions through unbelief.

2. Fear was Moses basic sin. He was afraid and not sure of Gods presence going with him

3. Yes, on different occasions, like Moses I wasn't sure it's God speaking so I disobeyed the voice and things began to take downturn. Until I obeyed before everything began to better better .

4. Moses appeased God anger by obeying God's instructions

• 1 year later...

God is angry with Moses for his lack of faith in him and for his constant questioning him and for his refusal to be obedient, with him trying to get out of doing what he has told him to do!  Moses basic sin is putting his fear and doubt of his abilities, is will or unwillingness to do what God is asking, before what God's will is.  He does not trust God to do the things he is telling Moses he will do.  Even after the miracle with his hand and the rod,  Moses still doubts God.  He has let his fear overrule the will of God and is being disobedient to what God wants him to do.  God is merciful with Moses to allow him to continue questioning him and making excuses why he shouldn't go.  Moses is afraid and when we are frightened we do things that we may would not normally do.  Moses does not want to return to Egypt, he is afraid because of what he did and perhaps he doesn't realize that God knows what he did there. Moses has to learn to put his faith in God and to be obedient to Him even in the face of fear and short comings. Moses finally sees that God was not going to be disobeyed and He was not going to allow Moses to back out of this task.  Moses finally accepts the will of God and goes to Egypt.

The scripture of Exodus 4: 24-25, dealing with God's anger with Moses is a puzzle that is not understood.  I know there is no explanation of it but would like to ponder it and perhaps get some more feed back on it from the forum and from Pastor if possible.  I read the statement in the lesson concerning it but still I'm left unable to understand and maybe we are not suppose to understand it but to say that it is not important to understanding Moses character is not enough for me.  I have a few questions on this scripture.  Why did the author include this knowledge of God's plan to kill Moses and how was Zipphora, Moses wife made aware of it???  Perhaps it was included to show the magnitude of God's anger and disappointment in the man he chose to lead his people from bondage????  Perhaps to show His willingness to forgive when it is asked of him, no matter how bad our sin is???????  Perhaps because although Moses agreed to go to Egypt he still had doubts and questions and was thinking of backing out????????  I was shocked the first time I read this scripture and had to go back and reread it many times because I thought I misread it and thought, surely this is a misprint???? God does not make mistakes, so in choosing Moses, did He instill his stubbornness and unwillingness to obey and fear and doubt in him to prove a point???????  The fact that Moses was 80 years old before he was even called by God to go back to Egypt..... it seems that this time should have been spent preparing him and removing all doubt from his mind and instilling in him all the qualities that his ancestors had in their faith.  Perhaps this is just God showing His greatness and his might and his power and His sovereignty and His greatness and his will to do whatever He wants however He wants....  Perhaps it is His way of telling us that we are not to ponder on all things of God and we are not to know of all things of God.  He does not have to explain himself to us and it leaves us wondering and in awe of Him and fearfully of Him and respectful of him so that we will honor, trust and obey him in all things whether we understand them or not???????.  Moses was the right person to delivery God's people because he got a taste of his own medicine with that crowd!!!!!! He found out and understood what God went through trying to get him to go to delivery them from bondage.  Just like him, the children of Israel did not believe and had doubt in God before and even after they witness the many miracles he performed for them in Egypt and in the wilderness... They, like Moses grumbled and complained and whined the whole way!!!!  Moses had to finally put his faith and trust in God to be able to show his people that if he had to do it, they had to also and that God is a promise keeper!  God showed His greatness and might and power through Moses weaknesses.  Moses did not have to be strong are capable, He just had to do what God told him to do and God did the rest.  Moses got so mad and tired of his complaining people in the wilderness that he struck the rock and lost his right to go to the promise land!  Perhaps that is why God was going to kill Moses, he was tired of hearing him complain,  he didn't need Moses anyway!   He could have delivered His people without Moses!  AH......... but God..........so merciful and compassionate and loving and forgiving.  it was all in his plan from the beginning!  What a mighty God!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Paula Price said:

The scripture of Exodus 4: 24-25, dealing with God's anger with Moses is a puzzle that is not understood.  I know there is no explanation of it but would like to ponder it and perhaps get some more feed back on it from the forum and from Pastor if possible.  I read the statement in the lesson concerning it but still I'm left unable to understand and maybe we are not suppose to understand it but to say that it is not important to understanding Moses character is not enough for me.  I have a few questions on this scripture.  Why did the author include this knowledge of God's plan to kill Moses and how was Zipphora, Moses wife made aware of it???  Perhaps it was included to show the magnitude of God's anger and disappointment in the man he chose to lead his people from bondage????  Perhaps to show His willingness to forgive when it is asked of him, no matter how bad our sin is???????  Perhaps because although Moses agreed to go to Egypt he still had doubts and questions and was thinking of backing out????????  I was shocked the first time I read this scripture and had to go back and reread it many times because I thought I misread it and thought, surely this is a misprint???? God does not make mistakes, so in choosing Moses, did He instill his stubbornness and unwillingness to obey and fear and doubt in him to prove a point???????  The fact that Moses was 80 years old before he was even called by God to go back to Egypt..... it seems that this time should have been spent preparing him and removing all doubt from his mind and instilling in him all the qualities that his ancestors had in their faith.  Perhaps this is just God showing His greatness and his might and his power and His sovereignty and His greatness and his will to do whatever He wants however He wants....  Perhaps it is His way of telling us that we are not to ponder on all things of God and we are not to know of all things of God.  He does not have to explain himself to us and it leaves us wondering and in awe of Him and fearfully of Him and respectful of him so that we will honor, trust and obey him in all things whether we understand them or not???????.  Moses was the right person to delivery God's people because he got a taste of his own medicine with that crowd!!!!!! He found out and understood what God went through trying to get him to go to delivery them from bondage.  Just like him, the children of Israel did not believe and had doubt in God before and even after they witness the many miracles he performed for them in Egypt and in the wilderness... They, like Moses grumbled and complained and whined the whole way!!!!  Moses had to finally put his faith and trust in God to be able to show his people that if he had to do it, they had to also and that God is a promise keeper!  God showed His greatness and might and power through Moses weaknesses.  Moses did not have to be strong are capable, He just had to do what God told him to do and God did the rest.  Moses got so mad and tired of his complaining people in the wilderness that he struck the rock and lost his right to go to the promise land!  Perhaps that is why God was going to kill Moses, he was tired of hearing him complain,  he didn't need Moses anyway!   He could have delivered His people without Moses!  AH......... but God..........so merciful and compassionate and loving and forgiving.  it was all in his plan from the beginning!  What a mighty God!!!!!!

• 4 years later...

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a)

Why is God angry with Moses?

What is Moses' basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience?

Has the Lord ever been angry with you, do you think?

How did Moses appease God's anger?

The difficulty Moses posed was  :   What is His Name    ...     I AM   has sent me to you.   The God of your fathers, of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob.

Another  difficulty was:  they will not believe the Lord has not sent me  ..........  

God disclosed to Moses (not only His Name) Who sent him when He changed the staff into a snake (the symbol of royal and divine power) and told him to catch it by the tail, that He, God had power over the so called earthly power, Moses need not to fear Pharaoh.  So too He revealed that He had power over diseases and over nature. (water is needed to stay alive). 

With these excuses out of the way and having amazing answers, Moses then turned to his own inadequacies.

He had a speech defect.    God promised to take care of that also.  

After this in spite of all God's reassurances, Moses kept on begging the Lord to send someone else.

This was when God was angry with him.

I guess FEAR grows from unbelief and breeds disobedience.

Again God had already gotten His instrument ready, viz., Aaron, the Levite, Moses' brother, who was already on his way to meet him.

Moses then went to his father-in-law, Jethro and requested to go to Egypt to see if his family was still alive.

A daunting task, be it his Egyptian mother, or his Hebrew family.

After this we read that the Lord said to Moses that the people (among them the Pharaoh, who in retrospect was his step-grandfather, seeing he was adopted by Pharaoh's daughter) who sought to kill him, because he had slain the Egyptian, were dead. 

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure what aspects of Moses made God so angry, but his behavior after hearing God's explanations/promises seemed to be "the last straw." As Pastor Ralph said, Moses behavior stemmed from the fact that he just didn't want to do it. He didn't want his assignment. He didn't want to obey.

Moses was used to being a lowly shepherd in the fields, watching sheep day after day, with small horizons and little to look forward to. He had been broken. Crushed by life. He had learned to think of himself as a failure and at the bottom of the social ladder.

From that viewpoint of brokenness, Moses was unable to conceive of himself as capable of doing great things for God. After all, God had taken him from a lofty position and crushed him in the desert, so why, now, would God demand he leave the safety of the desert to go back to the tensions and danger of Egypt? A person forced to live a slow pace of life and defeated until humility ... a person who having endured only unchallenging drudgery would not feel capable of doing anything but menial and meaningless work.

Moses' sin could be fear and fear is always a lack of faith. I don't think his sin was disobledience -- he was asking God for permission to disobey, but had not actually disobeyed. 

--

God has been angry with me my entire life. He knows my sinful nature. 

--

Moses appeased God's answer by obeying, though reluctantly. I'm sure God prefer obedience with a light heart, a cheerful obedience, but it appears God will accept a begrudging obedience done out of self-discipline, not love and hope.