JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God is Angry with Moses

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God was angry with Moses because despite all He (God) has said and done to assure him that He (God) would be with him to make the assignment succesful, Moses still looked for one excuse or another to give as reasons for not going.

Moses sin became clear- it was a sin of disobedience, not wanting to go.

I believe there are times I have failed to carry out some tasks given by God through Church leaders or failure to obey wht He says in His written Word, the Bible. But I cannot remember when God has been angry with me, such amazing love, grace and mercy!!!!!!!!!!!

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a) Why is God angry with Moses?

God is angry because Moses is showing doubt in God's promise to take care of Moses' inadequacies in public speaking and to coach him on what to say -- helping with both delivery and content. Yet, Moses tries to wriggle out of the call.

What is Moses basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience?

Moses' basis sin is unbelief.

Has the Lord ever been angry with you, do you think?

I repent. I believe that God has been angry with me but in His mercy He has pardoned me. Thank you God.

How did Moses appease Gods anger?

Moses agreed to proceed accompanied by Aaron his brother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like this human portrait of Moses because it encourages me in a couple of things. Human nature is still the same and we respond this way so often to the LORD, resisting and making excuses. I think Moses was responding to Yahweh, but out of what he understood/knew of himself. He had no confidence in his abilities and didn’t yet trust in the LORD’s. I don’t fully know his attitude, but I think he had some valid questions. So Yahweh continued to press as He addressed each concern.

The LORD always factors in how He has made us. So even when Moses enraged Him by nursing his fears, cowering in unbelief, and just plain deciding not to obey, God patiently continued to work with him. This makes me think of dealing with my own children, especially in their teen years. I always told them that as long as they were respectful they could tell or ask me about anything. But the moment their attitude turned irrational or disrespectful, the discussion was over for then – and I was usually frustrated or disappointed. Maybe Moses had reached that point with the LORD as the dialogue turned more into a debate.

Moses’ basic sin? The LORD had revealed some incredible plans and had shown Moses two amazing signs of His powerful presence. He addressed Moses’ doubts, but Moses was continuing to choose fear resulting in disobedience. When God tells us something by His Word, we always have a crossroads of choice in whether we’re going to both trust it and obey it. That is the full demonstration of faith, which is the only antidote for fear.

Well, I would certainly imagine I’ve given the LORD plenty of reasons to be angry with me over my lifetime. However, His anger is never kindled against His children now redeemed by the blood of Christ (since He sees us covered in the righteousness of His Son, it would be like becoming enraged at Christ!) – but I’m sure He is often disappointed with my choices. I’m rather dense and slow about it sometimes, but I try to obey once I “get it”. Moses didn’t do this until he had to face God’s anger. (I don’t see the answer to that study question in these vs.13-14…but after the LORD told him to take the staff in vs.17 we next see Moses asking Jethro for permission to go back to Egypt in vs.18.)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANGER = Action Necessary (for) God's Extreme Restoration

without a healthy fear of the Lord, Moses would not be able to complete God's plan for the redemption of His people

without Judgment, there is no need for Grace

'Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses..' that would have gotten my attention too!

if Moses had refused to answer God's call, he would have missed the great blessing that God had in store for him personally. God's plans never fail; He had already called Aaron. God knew that Moses would eventually say, 'yes! here I am, Lord', by giving him the final nudge.

• 3 months later...

I think that God got angry with Moses because of his disobedience.

Fear is not a problem, the problem is if we subdue to it. Also God's response to Moses'unbelief was very patient - He kept on persuading and giving evidence. The problem was when Moses in the end refused to go.

Therefore I think that God's anger was appeased by Moses' decision to go in the end.

As for God being angry with me - I believe that thanks to Jesus God is not angry with me any longer. It does not mean he does not raise me sometimes in a way that is not very pleasant to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Why god was angry with moses,was because he refused to accept the calling,he was afarid that people would kill him and his disobiedence in not wanting to speak to the pharaoh about letting the israelites go cause he was not eloquent enough. I believe that god can get angry at us for not listening to him when he tells or sends us to do his will. He appeased god anger by saying aaron could come with him to speak to the pharaoh.

• 3 months later...

Moses did not know God. Moses was not exposed to the mighty God as yet. He did not understand that he was dealing with the God of the past. He only knew about God. He was at a point where he needed to believe the almighty God.

Unbelief coupled with fear.

Yes, the Lord has been angry with me. I have tried many times to do things on my own. I always believe I must depend on myself to make a way out of every situation. I have now learned to trust God immensely to lead me and provide for me.

Moses did not walk away from God. He listened. God worked with him because he paid attention to God.

• 1 month later...

3a)Moses doesn’t trust God in equipping him to do what God asks.

B)Fear and unbelief he would equip him, and trying to avoid God’s request disobedience.

C)I’m sure he is saddened and angry when I don’t live up to what he says I should do. D)He went knowing Aaron would do speaking.

• 1 month later...

God is angry with Moses because he is knowingly or not, running away from the call to "save much people". Even after seeing the miracle of the burning bush, the staff turned-to-snake-to-staff, and the healthy hand-to-leprous hand and back again, Moses was still so engrossed in his perceived inadequacies that he failed to see that he was qualified in and by God! He feared rejection and condemnation so much that he couldn't shake it off and "suck it up" in light of the bigger picture and all that was at stake. His fear of people eclipsed his reverance for God too, so much so that he was paralyzed at the thought of participating on this scale. His request for the Lord to send someone else was not pleasing to God. I think this is less about disobedience and more about fear of human consequences if God's plan was followed. Again, Moses could have had no mental frame of reference for what God was going to do. I have been in this place of intense fear of man and fear of public scorn and humiliation related to my calling. I was tested for several years in an arena I did not want to be in. I think God was patient with my fears even though He had to drag me kicking and screaming into this forum. If God was angered over my reluctance to follow Him into this dark place, He did not reveal it to me. I did obey but was terrified every step of the way. God then redirected me to an alternate form of ministry that targetted the same outcomes as the first. Thankfully for me this context has been far easier for my personality to thrive in.........not easy........easier! Moses stopped arguing with God and made arrangements to return to Egypt.....with his wife, child, a donkey and the confidence that God was leading him. This step of faith caused God's anger to be appeased and the miracles began!

Why is God angry with Moses? MOSES DOES NOT KNOW HIS POWER EVEN THOUGH GOD IS SPEAKING TO HIM PERSONALLY.

What is Moses' basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience? ALL OF THE ABOVE

Has the Lord ever been angry with you, do you think? YES

How did Moses appease God's anger? HE ASKED HIM TO SEND SOMEONE ELSE

• 1 year later...

Moses came up with excuse after excuse to relieve himself from fulfilling the will of God. Each time Moses gave an excuse God supplied a solution. His last excused was of his ineloquence. Though it angered God, God had a solution for this excuse also. Moses was aware that God could and would do what He said He would do; therefore, Moses' sin was disobedience.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a) Why is God angry with Moses? What is Moses’ basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience? Do you think the Lord has ever been angry with you? How did Moses appease God’s anger?

God becomes angry with Moses because he won't listen and trust in God's assurances.  Moses' basic sin is not trusting in God.  Moses lets unbelief and fear disable him.  Moses appeases God's anger by accepting Aaron as his mouthpiece.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a) Why is God angry with Moses? What is Moses’ basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience? Do you think the Lord has ever been angry with you? How did Moses appease God’s anger? 

God is angry with Moses because no matter what God says Moses responds with "what ifs" and a heart of fear for himself because of possible repercussions from others. His basic sin is disobedience born out of fear for himself physically and appearing as a weak man with no power. He no longer carried the attitude of the people that raised and educated him. Moses had been stripped by all of that by God. Moses finally had to appease God by agreeing to Aaron going with him and shouldering this assignment with him. God had met all of Moses excuses and fears with reassurance, signs and wonders and finally giving Moses a person to be his mouth piece. Disobedience brought Gods anger toward Moses as Gods anger has been kindled toward me when I have been told to carry out an assignment and failed to do so. 

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Exodus 4:13-14a) Why is God angry with Moses? What is Moses' basic sin? Unbelief, fear, or disobedience? Has the Lord ever been angry with you, do you think? How did Moses appease God's anger?

Well in Exodus 4:10 Moses points out his weaknesses or how he feels inadequate for the mission he has been called to do. He is insecure, and is making excuses it sounds. But after that, God reminds Moses of His power and that He would do and give Moses what he needs. But in verse 13 it tells of Moses still asking God to send someone else for the mission? It is like you tell someone "I want you to speak on my behalf at a meeting"; that person says "I don't know what to say and I don't think I can do it." You tell that person, "look I will give you what to say and guess what I will be there with you too." Then that person replies with "Hey, can you still send someone." You would get mad too! You just told that person you gave them authority to speak, the tools to assist them, and you will also be present to help and they are still refusing to go and do because they feel insecure and scared. 

Moses was afraid and he didn't trust God or believe God. He couldn't see how God could use him for this particular assignment. I know he has got to have been mad at me but thank God for His mercy and forgiveness. I remember I was afraid to speak up and initiate a conversation with a young lady who rode my bus; I kept feeling like God wanted me to minister to her in some kind of way and I was so afraid. I could not trust God enough to do it and missed the chance. One day I saw her reading the bible and thanked God that someone obeyed Him and stepped up to the job but I failed to obey Him. Although I know He loves me, I am ashamed to say that my fear of rejection or how I would look talking about God out of the blue to a stranger made me shy away from talking about God's goodness and salvation through His Son.

Moses appeased God's anger by returning to Egypt and He finally went before Pharaoh and God used him and his brother Aaron.