JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

We need to tell others of the word of God. Jesus is the one who loves us and took away all our sins by dying on the cross as the pure and sinless sacrifice. Even though we are not persecuted physically in our culture we still suffer persecution from friends and family who turn away from us. Our culture also promotes sin, therefore it makes it difficult to spread God's word.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testimony and witness are important especially under difficult circumstances. Jesus' testimony, Him being the "truth" cannot be doubted. It gives confidence, encourages us and provides comfort to know that the testimony given is true.

We are afraid to be clear wittnesses as it will expose us to ridicule, being the "odd one out", behind the times. We also know that we do not always live lives revealing God's promises of peace and joy, and hence "self conscious" of our lives lest we should be confronted on these issues.

• 3 weeks later...

When a person is going thru an trial it is good to know that Jesus has already prayed for us, as well as he promised he'd never leave me nor forsake me and has given us power over the world and the devil and the example for us when we need help. Because who better to be on your side that GOD Himself.

Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith and his life and words are examples for us to follow. Besides he said he will never leave or forsake you, and with that I know that he will help me thru any thing that could happen.

Most people are afraid to be a wittness due th the fact that it is not the "in thing " it is not popular in to day life or may be some just don't know how to be a witness.

Q1. Our faith (His testimony and witness) is our foundation to enjoy and endure life. His testimony and witness is so powerful it provides strength and encouragement for all believers - even those who face intense persecution.

By who He is - faithful witness, Firstborn, and having all authority.

By what He's given - His Life (sacrifice on the cross) and His love and forgiveness.

As a young Christian wife and mother I believed I wasn't being a witness for Christ. Did I make any trips to Washington D.C. or participate in a protest march against abortion? --- No. So I was in conflict for quite some time. Now as a wife, mother, and grandmother I am trying to be a clear witness in my sphere of influence, my family. Will I face persecution for this, probably not. There is some confusion on my part concerning the "what" and "how" of being a clear witness. Linda

• 1 month later...

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

When it comes to testimony or witnessing that is what we are to do. By doing that it leads others that might not know God and Jesus to them. I know as a follower it give me great and humble joy to hear others testimonies and also it is through our testimonies that tells us not only more about the person but what God has done for a person. When it comes to encouragement that is what we got from Jesus. He witnessed and testified even when he was facing persecution and opposition too. There are times that when we come up against persecution or opposition we get affraid to share with others what God has done for us. We go through all kinds of storms and trials and the best thing about going through those storms and trials it that no matter what we come up against, God and Jesus is right there with us and walking through them with us too. The reason that we become affraid is so many people don't want to believe us and dont want to face reality. That is the reason that we become affraid, we want others to have the same joy and peace that we all have.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I go by the handle Candy Cane. I hail from Fair Oaks, California. Let me weigh in with my input on the Q1 set of questions:

[#I] Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to the purpose of strengthening and encouraging a church facing intense persecution? I feel the 'theme' of testimony & witness are important because we are sinners. All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Because we all, as humans, know in the core of our being that we are "unworthy" of the love of a perfect God, we face personal destruction every day. That is why we are instructed in asking God to renew our minds every day - the battlefield is in the mind, because we war not against flesh & blood, but against principalities, etc. Their game is to sway our minds, as in the beginning with the lies that caused the falling away of creation from Creator. Without daily encouragement (and we are commanded to do this for our Brothers and Sisters in Christ), we are each one susceptible to the constant attacks of Satan on our minds, which leads to wrong words (words of cursing and not of blessing), which leads to wrong deeds (even Paul said he did what he didn't want to do and that which he DID want to do, he did not!).

[#II] How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Jesus has the same "free will" as we do. It was His Will that he gave up in order to die the death of a human being and cause His blood, sinless in every way and chosen of God, to cover our sins, thereby redeeming us and reconciling us to our Creator/God. BECAUSE HE HAS FOUGHT THE FIGHT OF DEATH AND COME FORTH VICTORIOUS, WE ARE ENCOURAGED TO RUN THE RACE - FOR THE PRIZE IS GREAT. Jesus died once for all -- He doesn't need to die for each and every one of us every single day. His precious blood covers us, like putting a sheep skin on an old wolf, so that the Shepherd will allow the wolf into the fold. The wonderful thing is that with the sheep skin as a cloak, the old wolf becomes calm, comfortable, feeling God's peace and His love, and, most of all, His undeserved Mercy - and the wolf begins to change from the inside out. If this is not of great encouragement to continue the fight, I don't know what is!

[#III] Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted? We continue to seek approval from man, rather than God. Maybe because 'man' is front & center every day. Going back to the beginning, it all started with lies. Have you heard the story about the frog who was caught and placed in a big pot of comfortably cool water? Little by little the water began to warm and, by the time the water was boiling, it was too late for the frog. This is how it is with Christians. We believe the lies that tolerance is the key to peace with our fellow man on earth. We believe the lies that tell us it's offensive to say 'Merry Christmas' instead of 'Happy Holidays'. We believe the lies that say if we read our Bibles at our office desk someone will see and be offended -- and they will deride us, tease us, or talk about us to others. Hey folks, that's what we all should want. We should count it GAIN when we are persecuted (in any form) for the sake of Christ! We all know that America is used as a measuring stick. But, as another member reminded us, persecution is alive and well and, in some cases (probably more than we hear about), death is a very real factor. But I submit to you that we must not fear persecution. It's really a sign that we're on the right track. Perhaps we do best to make God front & center at the start of every day. If you were going to have a healthy food diet, you wouldn't eat only on Sundays or Sabbath, would you? You'd make sure you had 3 squares every day... Yes?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to the next session.

Candy Cane

• 3 weeks later...
When we are in the midst of persecution - our testimony and witness can do two things - encourage and strengthen others around us and to encourage and strengthen ourselves, our inner soul/being. We are called to be like Jesus and to follow His example and leading - here it is His faithful witness that we are to follow and be encouraged by. Our culture means that we don't like to be different from the rest. We don't like to stand out but if we follow Jesus' example we will stand out and be different. Dare to be different!

Q 1

Here the Book of REV. portrays the realities on which Fait relies in any period of time in History, Here " God " through Jesus Christ,who loves us and freed us from our Sins promise to be with his people until the end of time. The only reason why we are afraid to be a clear witness,in our culture, because we don't read the Bible

or we don't understand Jesus Teaching..

Pax

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

1) The theme of testimony and witness is important to encourage a persecuted church in order to reaffirm to them the truth of their faith and the blessings recieved through perseverance. I imagine intense persecution would be imposible to endure with weak faith and the testimony of a faithful witness would be needed for encouragement. The author claims to be faithful in the testimony to the Word of God and of Christ "to all that he saw". The early church must have held the author to these standards or else the letter would not have been accepted as witness.

2) Christ as "the Faithful Witness" encourages us because of our belief in Him as Messiah, the truth in His teachings, and because of the persecution He endured on the cross and the victory that followed.

3) I believe it is only an intense fear of man that keeps us from being "clear witnesses". In the U.S. we are not physically persecuted though we are judged constantly in an extreemly worldly culture. Many times it is my own sin and actions which don't bear true witness and I think that is what our society sees and judges. "Hypocrites" they say and I'm afraid they are right alot of times. I need to remember that it is Christ's testimony I need be witness of and not Tony's.

I don't agree with knocking on people's door to evangelize, but when it hapened to me just yesterday morning ( 1st time in 5 years) I was impressed with the ability of the two women at my door to supress this fear of man. Even though I politly made it clear that I don't agree or for that matter understand their doctrine or theology, they praised God for leading them to at least one person with interest in the bible. I belive the Lord showed me in them the ability to overcome this fear in order to strengthen my testimony.

• 3 months later...
Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

It is a way for us to confirm our personal knowledge or belief, to bear witness and be a witness of the way god has revealled things to us or given us warnings of things to come connected to our own lives. In revelation1:5 we are told that Jesus loved us and washed us from our sins with his own precious blood at the cross. Because he was the first one raised from the dead and is the prince of the kings of the earth he was the only one who could do this. Jesus had to do this for us in order to be a faithful witness for his father and to fulfil the scriptures of old. Jesus will allways be faithful to us as he knows what it is like to have so many wrong doings and accusations made against him. We are so afraid of being clear witnesses for Christ because we have not had the need tofall heavilly and rely entirely on him for our every need. We have such a good lifestyle we cannot comprehend the need to rely soley on him :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Because the writer of Revelation John was a beloved apostle and an eyewitness of Jesus Christ.

He was the only one if the Jesus' original 12 Disciples who was not killed for the faith.

This revelation was given to John direct from Jesus.

The purpose was to reveal the full identity of Christ and give warning and hope to believers of that time and even today.

Many hesitate to witness about their faith in Christ because they don't know feel the change in their lives has been spectacular enough, or even some their walk in the Lord is right so they fear what others will say about them when they witness.

• 1 month later...

I think that people here in the US still feel like they are getting persucted. Maybe not like those in other countries but in a different way. Maybe when they talk about Christ they get made fun of by their peers, their family, or even those that do not believe even if they don't know them. Rejection of ones peers, family, or others is enough for people not to want to talk about Christ to people. I know it doesn't make it right but it still happens.

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

Having been an attorney, I know the value of a truthful and personal observing witness. In our situation, Jesus is that witness and He has declared the truth. In Revelation, He will declare things that we need to know. Since He is faithful and true, we can believe what He has to say and we had best listen!

Today, most of us are too concerned about "looking right in the eyes of the world." Therefore, we do not honor God with our service. Rather, we try to look good to others without being thought of as some kind of a religious fanatic. Of course, if Jesus, Paul, Peter or any of the other first century Christians had felt that way there might not be a Christianity today, huh?

vsdaddy4441

• 1 month later...

We gain strength and courage just by witnessing God's word to other people. We can also encourage each other through witnessing and testimony. We can be encouraged by Jesus because he is our faithful witness and savor who went through all types of persecution, even unto death.

We are afraid that we will persecuted in minors ways, lost job or promotions, made fun of by our friends or coworkers, etc.

Hi Everyone,

My heart became so full of joy when I was reading your 'posts'. My Brothers and Sisters in Jesus Christ, answering the call, to become witnesses to His Grace, from all around the globe. Here's a little about me: I live in West Hills, Calif. attend as an Elder, Christ Community Church in Winnetka CA. I have 7 Grandchildren. I want to be of maximum service to God and my fellow man. But, sometimes I hold my tongue, and pray that The Holy Spirit will strengthen my testimony by my actions.

Love ...Bro. Al

I love the prayer of you asking the Holy Spirit to strengthen your testimony by your actions! :D If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for the same for my life too. I'm sure you've heard that sometimes "we" as a person may be the only Bible people will ever see so It is so important how we reflect Jesus in our own lives! I'm still being worked on in this area I'll admit but I'm going forward and listening to the chastisements more than I used to!

To me, you sound like a wonderful child of God & I'm sure he's pleased with your heart! Great to know ya Bro. Al !

Till next time, God Bless!

A. The theme of testimony & witness is important because we need to constantly be encouraged & strengthened.

B. Jesus became the sacrifice because of His great love for us. We are reminded that we won't suffer anything that He hasn't suffered Himself.

C. I think the biggest reason we are afraid to be clear witnesses is because many of us don't want to ruffle feathers so we just sit back and keep it to ourselves. We may not be physically persecuted here, but the verbal is always there. Unfortunately, by sitting back and keeping quiet, we're allowing evil to prevail.

• 2 months later...

Jesus is the best witness you can have. He is testifing to things that are to come and you can trust in him.

We are afraid to be put down or made fun of.

In the midst of fear, doubt and confusion, human testimony can shake off every doubt and stir up hope and faith in the hearts of believers. The Bible says we overcome the Devil by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimonies. In the middle of a relentless storm and persecution only those that walk in the Spirit of God daily get the courage to overlook the trouble and press on. New converts can easily be swayed from the Gospel if consistent testimonies of answered prayers are not being offered in their midst to strengthen and encourage them.

Witnesses also serve as testimonials to strenghthen and encourage. Jesus being the "faithful witness" means that no matter how difficult life here on earth becomes, we have a dependable witness who has promised to never leave us nor forsake us. As the firstborn from the dead, He is the first One to rise from the dead to die no more, and the one who holds the place of honor and pre-eminence among all who are raised from the dead to enjoy eternal life. As a faithful witness, Jesus is also the ruler over all earthly kings. We are greatly encouraged to know that even as our head and master, every evil thing done to us was first done to him.

• 1 month later...

The them of testimony and witness is so important because thestimony and witness give hope through Christ. In Revelation 1:5, Christ's encouragement comes because He loves us and has demonstrated this by giving His life so that we have the opportunity to spend eternigty with Him.

I believe we are persecuted, albeit not as intensely as in other countries, but persecution comes in the form of rejection in this country.

The theme of testimony and witness is so important because testimony and witness give hope through Christ. In Revelation 1:5, Christ's encouragement comes because He loves us and has demonstrated this by giving His life so that we have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him.

I believe we are persecuted, albeit not as intensely as in other countries, but persecution comes in the form of rejection in this country.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Revelation 1:5 affirms how much Jesus Christ loves us by shedding His own blood that we might be freed from sin.

The passage communicates this strong message: You are worth something because Jesus loves you and shed His blood for you.

Is this not enough for people to want to stand up and witness that God is the one and only truth even in persucution?

Hawkswife4ever

The theme of testimony and witness is so important because testimony and witness give hope through Christ. In Revelation 1:5, Christ's encouragement comes because He loves us and has demonstrated this by giving His life so that we have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him.

I totally agree with you on that. USA is trying to ban religion all together they are just trying to do it very slowly so the goverment dont get attacked because they want us to not notice it,like taking God out of the pledge of allegiance in our schools, Taking it out of oaths in courtrooms etc... Society has a hard time believing in Christ as it is and the goverment I feel is working for the antichrist and making it harder for us believers to reach out and try to witness to people so they too can be saved.

• 3 weeks later...

#1, Q1

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? The importance of witnessing to each other is not only to help build our own faith but to help others in their deeper search for Jesus Christ.

``When God gave the book of revelation to his son Jesus, which held the information concerning the things which must happen soon,Jesus then revealed the book to John who then sent it through his angel. I believe God took such extreme steps to make certain that the people understood the importance

of the visions which John saw, the testimony of Jesus Christ and God's messages. God also wanted the people to read the words of prophace, listen to them and obey what was written.

Why are we afraid to be witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

I think some Christians, not only in other cultures but in our own culture, are afraid to witness for fear of being persecuted. It is a sad thought but it is getting more serious all the time.

• 1 month later...

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

When things are difficult and people are being persecuted, it is easy to give up whatever one is doing to avoid a negative situation. But when a positive testimony and witness is consistently being heard and seen, it provides strength and hope to push forward instead of giving up. Therefore, when we as the body of Christ are faced with difficult times and/or criticized by people who put us down for believing in Jesus and communicating his love for all of mankind; if we stay in God's word and read all of his promises for the future, it is easier to press on toward living and telling of his will for our lives.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

Jesus died on the cross - shed his blood - suffered extreme pain - so that we were forgiven of our sins. He has also told us what the future in eternity holds for us as well. That in itself is encouragement to push forward each and every moment of our lives toward eternity. It is encouragement to live our lives for Him - it is encouragement to witness to others about his love regardless of how they perceive us - it is encouragement to know that our suffering, difficulties, pain, etc here on earth are only temporary.

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Even though we aren't persecuted to the point that John was or how some people in other countries are persecuted for believing in Jesus and witnessing of Him, we still face mild persecution, rejection, ridicule, etc. in our own culture when we witness about Jesus. There are those out there that just don't care to believe in Jesus, calling it unreal, that persecute Christians for proclaiming the truth. Persecution means to harass constantly or oppress. My teenage daughter faces harassment quite frequently for being open about her faith in Jesus at school. There are other teenagers that just don't care to see the truth and will bully my daughter for her faith - fortunately my daughter is very strong in her faith and is unshaken by their harassment.

I also think that many people find it difficult to witness because they feel that their lives are nothing spectacular and they are unworthy of witnessing about Jesus. If they would only realize that it is what Jesus did for us that qualifies us to witness about Him rather than what we have done for Jesus that qualifies us to witness, they would realize that their lives don't need to portray anything spectacular to qualify them to witness. Jesus is the one who did the spectacular for us and we need to proclaim that to the world.