JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

our churches today are under almost constant persacution. The book revelation is an encouragement to us all that jesus is and always be there to watch over us.It is comforting to know that we will all be in heaven someday with him.We must never give up.We must remain strong and encouraged in the fact that god will always be there for us and will love us as long as we love and believe in him.We should al try our best to encourage other non believers to at least explore the bible and in that way they will become believers in christ as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

As Christians we face persecution is many different ways. Through family, friends, and the media. Revelation shows that no matter what we are the victors is the battle against good and evil. Christ won the victory at Calvary, praise His name. No matter what we face we are over comers.

Many do not witness because of fear, and because we do not study our Bible enough and study the verses needed for witnessing. We really do not understand what will happen to people if we do not tell them about Jesus. My husband and I are missionaires to the United States. We travel to fairs and festival tell people how they can have a personal relationship with Jesus and know for sure how they can get to heaven. I was not always bold, but being in this ministry helps us to witness more and be more aware of those around us. May God help each of us to win someone to the Lord each day or witness each day. Take tracts along where ever you go. If you are afraid to witness hand them a gospel tract.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

The theme of testimony and witness are very important as it helps strengthen ones own relationship with God. It lets us know that what ever we may face never give up our beliefs and love of God, because there will be a day when we will rest is heaven with Jesus. Jesus was the most faithful one as he never doubted his Father, he trusted him no matter what trials and tribulations he had to face. Jesus was the role model that God sent to earth for us to follow. I think that people have an issue with what others may think, instead of what God may think.

Jesus, as the witness to all who believe in who He was and His teachings, He further compells us to stand fast in His truth by personally giving messages of encouragement. For those who truly believe He came down from heaven to ransom us from our certain doom, He gives us the promise He is with us always and that none of us can suffer anything that He did not suffer Himself.

In persecution, I feel that there is a hesitance. We are torn between wanting to use the bible and Spirit to help lead people to Christ and losing 'credibility' with others because of those beliefs. We have to continually remind ourselves that we are called to witness; the Spirit does the rest.

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

John bore record of the word of God, the Father, and he bore witness of God's Son, Jesus. John was placed on the isle of Patmos because of his witness and the tribulation he faced because of it.

Christ's Jewish followers have been martyred for their unfailing "faith" in what the word spoke, and to their witness that Christ is the "Son of God".

The church is going to continue to face tribulation; we all need to be encouraged as a servant of God to stay in "faith", for they can kill the body but not the soul.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" supposed to encourage us?

Christ came to do the will of the Father, even unto death so we may live. He is faithful to God and to the truth, so we may be established in Him, a firm foundation for our

• 1 month later...

A witness is someone who can verify an activity and is able to give an account of what happened becasue they were present when the activity happened. A church facing intense persecution would be more apt to respond to someone who has been persecuted themselves and and have overcome. Jesus is a faithful witness because, after enduring persecution and death, he can testify to the fact that God is, the great I Am, and is able to save your souls. Jesus, who was once dead, is now alive and sitting on the right hand of his Father, waitng for His Church, the faithful believers to join Him in paradise. Jesus is the only One who can testify to this, he is the one true Witness and He has given His testimony concerning God's plan for our ressurection and eternal life. We can be encouraged that Jesus, who was once dead, but now lives, has taken on our sins so that we too, although we must die, will again live with Him forever in eternity. We should be encouraged.

As for "why we are afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?" I can only suspect that our fears stem from a lack of faith concerning our beliefs that God is who He says He is. We are comfortable in our skin right now and our minds and our hearts are not directed at God.

• 2 weeks later...

We intend to be intimidated by our peers (in my case, scientists and engineers) whom we fear will scoff at our ideas, or ridicule us for our belief in God. Thanks to the Alpha courses, I have become more willing to testify to my faith, and much to my delight, I have found that many scientists and engineers with whom I converse share this faith.

If you think about the word encourage--it literally means to "give courage"; Christians then and now are faced with the decision to deny Christ or face death. Therefore the theme of testimony is important because we are to stand firm and declare Jesus as Lord even at the cost of life.

Jesus is the faithful witness...He gave His own life that we might live and know truth. That is the ultimate example of how we are supposed to live our own lives.

I believe that we are afraid to be clear witnesses today because we fear the world more than we fear God. When we get further in Revelation and study the churches, we will see that at Pergamos this was happening. They were participating in pagan activities in order to have work. We "compromise" our beliefs to fit in or get ahead. The sad thing is that we are missing out on so many blessings from God when we choose the "easier" path. I don't know about anyone else, but I get so frustrated with myself when I don't speak up or follow what I know that the Holy Spirit is prompting me to say or do because I "fear" what someone will think about me. And, while we are not being persecuted unto death here in America, we are facing persecution--look at Sarah Palin or some of the conservative talk show hosts that have the guts to speak their mind. If we lived during Jesus's time, I think that the media and Hollywood would be crying, "Crucify them!"

• 4 weeks later...

I for one would have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was willing to die for what I believe. The church needed to know that Jesus Christ Himself was the one encouraging them on and that what He said would come to pass. I think that we are afraid to be clear witnesses because of peer pressure. We don't want to be considered radical. Unfortunately, this is part of the reason that our country is in spiritual decline. We as Christians first, and Americans second should take a stand and God would stand behind our country.

• 2 weeks later...

we use the exact NIV words "Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth" He/Jesus returned from the dead and promises us that like He, we will not die. So 1st century Christians needed this faith to persevere over terrible persecution, which we hope to never know in the usa.

It is the joy to righteously serve Him and all people in His Kingdom today, which give us eternity now.

I'm blessed to NOT be afraid to witness, I notice people who don't believe talk behind my back and say I'm crazy or socially awkward, but I'm maturing and the only way for me to learn is via practice. Also the book "About my father's business" is an encouraging model of "witnessing" and testing "flag's of faith" with people when we speak to them. Praise God and may my desire to witness with wisdom grow, to bring Him glory.

• 1 month later...

wittnes and testimony is important because it means to comfirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief, bear witness, be a witness. and this can be done at the cost of life. sometimes it seems like when testify to loving Jesus we are really persecuted by others. when we don't do what the world does then it calls us strange and we are put aside and pushed out of where we are in their world. It is important that we stay true to Jesus because in the end it is Jesus who matters if He has been pleased not man.

Jesus lived His whole life down here on earth as the One and Only true witness of who sent Him. He did it knowing what the end result would be, and He pleased His Father in all He did. We can and should follow His example today. He is with us today and continually encourages us to do the same as He did because He has already told us what our reward is going to be. And we know it to be true.

sometimes Satan has been able to get into our thinking process and tell us that we really don't want to be a witness for Jesus because how will people treat us and why would we want to make a fool of ourselves in front of people. It is the fear that man won't accept us or we may lose something that isn't even worth losing in the first place. But when our eyes are on Jesus we can boldly stand and be the witness that He has asked us to be. another reason is that we get discouraged when we don't see change and so we are tempted to give up trying.

He was the first born of the dead and the ruler of the kings on earth. I think some people are afraid to talk about Jesus because they don't want to be shot down or ridiculed

• 1 month later...

Question 1 deals with the testimony and witness of not only us but Jesus for a troubled world. Because of our strength and power of testimony and witnessing to each other we encourage and strengthen the church and Jesus' example of his journey to the cross and grave and being the first of the resurrection we have hope for the resurrection of ourselves and to eternal life.

People hate talking about Jesus' because of embarrassment and use all types of excuses for not doing so. I believe they also feel they will give up some percieved notion or idea of power over themselves in that if I believe in Christ then I will also have to change the way I am living

• 2 weeks later...

Fear is a potent, paralyzing & suffocating emotion. While we have not suffered intense persecution as other Christians in hostile areas of the world still do, dose not mean it can not happen still here, if Revelation is prophecy of things which are to happen in the end times, in which we now are only beginning to experience now. It would lead one to believe, its warning, is directed more so toward Christians now today!

Testimony gives hope. When I testify about what God has done in my life it encourages that person in the way that they can get through what ever they are going through. In other words testifying builds our faith. John is testimony of whats to come in regards to the church strengthens our belief of God's sovereignty in our lives. It also gives us hope as a church that Christ will return.

Jesus is the faithful witness. The word of God says that we are to be christlike. If Christ is a faithful witness we should be as well. We should show our self a witness of God's love through salvation. We must let others witness our belief that Christ is the King of King, that he died for our sins, died and was resurrected. He also has the keys of death and hell. Having this gives Him the authority of it. Also believing that he will return to receive His church.

We as a people don't witness this power because we are afraid of not fitting in. We are spoiled. We don't know what real persecution is. The closest thing to persecution for us is rejection. We don't like to be rejected. Sometimes whats really hindering us from testifying is our lack of belief. We really to see God through the right eyes.

Sydney

Is it safe to say that we are not in at this moment in fear of persecution for declaring who Jesus? I think it has something to do with the lack of knowledge being passed down from generation to generation. I tell you, my mom didn't teach me who Jesus is or even how to pray. Sometimes we can become a product of our environment. This is not an excuse but a reality in the times we are living in.

Sydney

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus already knows all tht is about to happen both at that time and throughout history. He has "witnessed" it. We don't really understand God's concept of time and history, except what He reveals to us, so we must trust the faithful witness of Jesus Christ. This account is first hand experience, as Jesus knows all (except the date or time of His return), and He will never leave us or forsake us no matter what. He will stay with us through thick and thin. We worry too much about what others think and don't want to be singled out as "odd" or "differnt" even though Scripture says we are a "peculiar people."

• 4 weeks later...

The theme of testimony and witness is important in Revelation as it is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. The authentication of the revelation presented is satified because the testimony and witness is Jesus Christ Himself. Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) is supposed to encourage us because of His divine rulership over the earth. We are afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted for fear that we will be persecuted for sharing the gospel in our circle.

• 2 weeks later...

There was terrible persecution in John's day. The fact he was banished to Patmos and that many of his friends and former co-evangelists were put to death shows this. The Romans were cruel and unforgiving and intolerant (to Christianity) in those days. Usaully the Romans would demand that Christians renounce their faith. Add to this the frequent order to worship the emperor as god and we get the picture. This kind of brutality and insanity reminds us of a similar persecution Daniel, Shadrach, Meshech and Abednego had to suffer under the Babylonian ruler,Nebuchadnezzar, five to six hundred years earlier.

It's important to witness and stand up for our faith in order for that faith to flourish and spread to others. The enemy understands this. That's why he tries to work through the powers that be to get them to oppose Christianity. This can be accomplished even in social settings where lives are not threatened but social status is. The Christian who stands up to the filthy and salacious break-time banter of fellow workers or classmates in school, stands to lose face with the "in crowd." Yet, that same warrior for Christ will lose his/her faith or have it weakened by not taking a stand for decency in accordance with a Christian's command to lead a righteous life. Outsiders who see us standing up for our faith under duress are more likely to become interested and be led, eventually, to Christ also--leading to the keeping of another command--the Great Commission of Matthew 28:20 to preach the gospel to all.

When we witness we give a testimony of what we believe so that the world will know and then be given the option to either accept or reject Christ as their Savior. A faith not revealed by works, moreover, is a dead faith according to James.

Today in America, our lives are not usually threatened (unless you exclude the church burnings in the deep south still going on, and other such anomolies). However, our livelihood can be threatened by an employer attuned to political correctness and opposed to any expression of religious faith.

Jesus, as the "faithful witness" showed us what it means to live and die for our beliefs. Jesus' words encourage us. All we need to do is go to the gospel accounts of His sermons, His healings, His rebuking of enemies, His teaching on all things, and we can find inspiration and encouragement.

We might be afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't otherwise persecuted because we may fear, however, that people may label us as weird or out of step with what they believe and accept as cool. We fear, that is, loss of status. We may fear being left alone, with no friends. If that is the case, though, it is time we found new friends--friends not ashamed to be called the friends of God.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1.

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution.

Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

We live in a world were true believers are being bombarded with false ideologies, teachings and religions. We need to stand strong and firm for our Lord Jesus against all these attacks. We know our final victory is guaranteed and that Jesus will return to reign forever. Jesus, being God, as the

• 1 month later...

1) In times of intense persecution, believers will feel extremely discouraged, down-hearted, confused and lost. Some may even considering giving up their faith because for their loved ones whose lives might be threatened even. Having testimonies and witnesses are the best encouragement to keep us going on; to remind ourselves of God's presence and His great love as well as His ultimate plan for us. It is our reaffirmation of God's promises to us.

2) Our whole lives - we were taught to live and follow Jesus. He is our spiritual leader. Seeing Jesus is like a "consolation" in a way because He has always been our Idol, our model.

3) Most of us still feel lack of courage & confidence. Especially for those of us who are not so good at speaking, we may get "attacked" by the non-believers. We like to continue to stay in our "comfort-zone" without drawing attention to ourselves. And sometimes, we may feel that since we are not "persecuted" yet, there is no need for us to witness much - leave it to the church leaders and missionaries first. Without knowing it, some of us are actually indirectly deeply rooted into this world. Speaking out may cause us to lose our current positions i.e. jobs, friends. So we do not feel comfortable speaking out either.

To me, the Book of Revelation is a very serious book. I still have difficulty "convincing" myself that it can also be a book of love to remind me God's plans for me. I find it contradictory that it can serve as an encouragement book during times of intense persecution. However, recently, I have been recommended to Tim LaHaye's books which I began with the Left Behind Series. This series talk mostly of end times and how a group of christians continue to persevere in persecution times against the antichrist. The book of revelation serves as a book of prophesy as to what people should expect to come, and prepare them to face the battle. I find it very encouraging. So I am really looking forward to study on this final book in the Bible.

• 1 month later...

A witness is someone who experienced something himself.

This makes his testimony more reliable then a story of hear saying.

Especially when it

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus' message was truth from the mouth of God. Many people - those with 'ears to hear' - who heard Him speek understood the truth of his words. When true words are your encouragement they can change your life.

In a similar way, our own witness and testimony are important today. When I hear a man or woman tell how God has worked in his or her life, and see in through their eyes the reality of God's work, it has a profound effect on me. It is encouraging.

Can you imagine hearing and seeing Jesus witness and testimony! The Son of God telling about the truth of God the Father from a personal perspective! Can you see His face? Hear His words? That would have been something. It's no wonder crowds followed Him to hear His words.

Those who actually heard him and told of his message were so encouraged that their lives were changed forever. To imagine what it might have been like for those people, and to see how they lived after, encourages me because I can come to no other conclusion than they heard and understood the truth of His words.

I look forward to others comments about fears today. Each may be quite different. In my case, much of my life has been spent in business with people who were not believers. That world's culture does not embrace Jesus. When you spend much of your life with people who do not believe and who exhibit other values, it's hard to be the 'voice in the wilderness'. Persecution does not have to be overt in order to inhibit truth. It is a sad commentary to admit that fear of rejection or reprisal at work is enough to discourage one from expressing his personal beliefs. The 'safe' way to behave is to simply be quiet keep a low profile.

I believe that "testimony" is what God would want us to be in this world that is filled with so much sin. We as believer's in Christ must continue to keep that "testimony" of our Lord Jesus Christ. That way we can strengthen eachother and encourage. Secondly, "witness" is what we do for the Lord. Witness of His love and goodness. The hope of salvation and freedom from sin. Jesus is the "faithful witness" who encourages us daily with His Word of faith and hope. Many are afraid to be witness' of the Lord because I believe that at times they fear they might fail or fall away from that testimony that they are. God bless....