JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

So from the dictionary I see rebellion as a refusual to obey -- Now because I grew up in the sixties , at a time when there was much civil rebellion in order to effect change , I never thought of rebellion with a "negative" connotation. I was encouraged to "question" and not blindly follow orders. I am now being asked to take the opposing stance and look at how rebellion can be harmful.

I can see that obedience is absolutely necessary in battle. That is easy to see. Soldiers must be prepared to follow instructions at all costs to be successful and to keep order and prevent chaos from happening. I really struggle to see Christianity as a battle and therein lies the conflict for me. It just seems so simple , believe and trust in God - what's the problem? Why do people make it harder than it is? But....

I do recognize the times in my life that I have wanted to do things MY WAY (rebel that I am) and one time that stands out is very clear to me. It was not the subtle disobedience like not listening to that inner voice that tells me when to make a phone call to someone or to go visit or pray for a person. No, this was an out and out battle where I said "I don't care what you are telling me to do GOD I do not want to try any longer I QUIT ! "

I was tired and frustrated and lazy and disobedient!

And then there was the time when I knew that I could not do what I commited to do . When I volunteered to tech at the bible camp MY plans were to tech , oh like age 10 or over. God had other plans. Apparently the need was for pre school. Oh but I was working full-time and this was not what I wanted to do nor was this MY strong point. I did not even enjoy pre-kindergarten age. NO WAY there was some mistake here. This was not my plan! Apparently it was God's plan! And this time I said OK but you gotta help me God because these children deserve a loving, kind person to teach them about you! ( and that is not me with roomful of 3 and 4 year olds !!) Now ,I had taught on a bus that tranported kids from all over our city every Sunday morning but I had never been with a roomful of three and four year olds for 5 days running. This was more than I could concieve of doing.

Well needless to say I obeyed and God delivered and that was the most fulfilling week of my life. Was it easy ... of course not! Did I need help from others (hard for me to ask for help!) ...absolutely.

Now this was a time that God allowed me to see the results of obedience. I know that there are so many more times that I do not know what God's plan is. There are consequences of my obedience and disobedience that are not always obvious to me, because I do not see the whole picture. So whether it is on a sport's field or in a workplace or within a family unit, there are "moves" in place and outcomes that I cannot possibly understand. But God sees the whole picture. The composer knows the complete piece, the author knows the end of the story, and I have to trust and obey ... just follow the lead or I will cause chaos and the harmony will be lost.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Rebellion is acting out of one's own will. Doing one's own thing, instead of following God's command. This is as bad as witchcraft because it is putting something else on the throne of one's heart and exalting it to the position that God wants to occupy. I suppose the arrogance here is that when you do this you are saying I know better than God what I want and what is good for me. This next question is key to dealing with the problem and your answer is to repent. What if your heart is still so drawn away by these other things that have become important in your life that there is no heart for repentance. I think maybe that's what Saul's problem was. In other words, one must really be wanting the Lord so badly that every thing else is subjugated to that one desire. Then true repentance can come. But how to get to that place?

Would appreciate any other insights into how to get to this point as I am finding my heart quite far from the Lord. I want to do what is right but do not do it and am constantly drawn away. If there is anyone who has really wrestled with something that has drawn one aside, I would appreciate hearing how you changed this, how you set aside that which threatened to overwhelm you, and how your got your heart back to wanting the Lord and wanting to delight Him more than this thing which so draws you. Please don't just give me pat answers or cliches. If you have not wrestled with something then don't try to answer this.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Rebellion is acting out of one's own will. Doing one's own thing, instead of following God's command. This is as bad as witchcraft because it is putting something else on the throne of one's heart and exalting it to the position that God wants to occupy. I suppose the arrogance here is that when you do this you are saying I know better than God what I want and what is good for me. This next question is key to dealing with the problem and your answer is to repent. What if your heart is still so drawn away by these other things that have become important in your life that there is no heart for repentance. I think maybe that's what Saul's problem was. In other words, one must really be wanting the Lord so badly that every thing else is subjugated to that one desire. Then true repentance can come. But how to get to that place?

Would appreciate any other insights into how to get to this point as I am finding my heart quite far from the Lord. I want to do what is right but do not do it and am constantly drawn away. If there is anyone who has really wrestled with something that has drawn one aside, I would appreciate hearing how you changed this, how you set aside that which threatened to overwhelm you, and how your got your heart back to wanting the Lord and wanting to delight Him more than this thing which so draws you. Please don't just give me pat answers or cliches. If you have not wrestled with something then don't try to answer this.

Rebellion is open resistance to authority.

J. Vernon McGee in his "Thru The Bible" says "to disobey God is worse than witchcraft". Disobedience to God is rebellion against God. To me they are both rejecting the authority and laws of God in favor of self and our own desires. They are both deadly and inviting Satan in.

I can just hear someone saying no one is going to tell me what to do. That is arrogance and rebellion (disobedience) to God.

When we find rebellion in our hearts (ask God to find it out for you) if you don't see it, REPENT and ask God for forgiveness and help to change.

Rebellion feeds in our own sin nature and grows if we don't cut it out like a cancer.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy, and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

1. Rebellion means resisting or fighting against authority or control. In Christian life, all authority & control belongs to GOD. So, rebellion means resisting or fighting against GOD’s authority or control. It means doing things our way rather than GOD’s way. We choose to follow our whims and fancies rather than accept GOD’s will in our life.

2. Witchcraft or occult practices worship evil spirits as their god. Rebellion can be said to be as bad as witchcraft or occult practices because when we rebel, we remove GOD from His seat of authority. We give all precedence to our thoughts, feelings & wishes rather than GOD. It is as though we know much more than GOD.

3. Rebellion is foolish thinking and excessive pride on the part of man to assume to have greater wisdom than GOD Almighty, which reflects his arrogance. The created exalts itself instead of the Creator.

4. When we find rebellion against God in our hearts, we must at once repent of our sin (arrogance & rebellion), humble ourselves and seek GOD’s forgiveness. We must surrender ourselves fully – all areas of our lives & not a few – and ask for GOD’s will to be done.

5. If perchance we do nothing when we find rebellion against God in our heart, we will start to backslide and lose GOD in our life. Our thoughts, feelings and actions, I guess, will become more and more arrogant. We will end up making GOD very sad and Satan very happy. John 8:41 & John 8:44 speak to us on those very lines.

1. Rebellion means resisting or fighting against authority or control. In Christian life, all authority & control belongs to GOD. So, rebellion means resisting or fighting against GOD’s authority or control. It means doing things our way rather than GOD’s way. We choose to follow our whims and fancies rather than accept GOD’s will in our life.

2. Witchcraft or occult practices worship evil spirits as their god. Rebellion can be said to be as bad as witchcraft or occult practices because when we rebel, we remove GOD from His seat of authority. We give all precedence to our thoughts, feelings & wishes rather than GOD. It is as though we know much more than GOD.

3. Rebellion is foolish thinking and excessive pride on the part of man to assume to have greater wisdom than GOD Almighty, which reflects his arrogance. The created exalts itself instead of the Creator.

4. When we find rebellion against God in our hearts, we must at once repent of our sin (arrogance & rebellion), humble ourselves and seek GOD’s forgiveness. We must surrender ourselves fully – all areas of our lives & not a few – and ask for GOD’s will to be done.

5. If perchance we do nothing when we find rebellion against God in our heart, we will start to backslide and lose GOD in our life. Our thoughts, feelings and actions, I guess, will become more and more arrogant. We will end up making GOD very sad and Satan very happy. John 8:41 & John 8:44 speak to us on those very lines.

Rebellion is likened to witchcraft. No one will readily want to engage in practices of witchcraft, however when we operate in rebellion we equate to this grave sin. In Jeremiah God said that His people committed two grave sins. They have forsaken the Lord and turned to serve idols. Serving idols is like witchcraft. Lucifer walked in rebellion before God and was thrown out of the heavenlies. Rebellion first starts in the heart. The issues of life flow from the heart. Obedience starts from the heart as what is spoken from the mouth proceeds from the heart.That is why God looks at the inside.

Rebellious people always have an alibi. They would justify any wrongdoing. In this case, Saul blamed the soldiers for bringing in the spoils. He also justified that the cattle was for sacrifice to the Lord. One one has a sound justification, one can become pretty arrogant in ones approach.

We sometimes cannot even know the condition of our own hearts. Jer 17:9 The heart is desperately wicked above all things, who can know it. That is why we need the HOLY SPIRIT to guide us into all truth. Being humble and accepting that we are fallable will enable us to receive God's grace for change. Grace comes to the humble. Repentence and prayer can rid us off such rebellion.

I believe that sin left unattended can grow. May start off as a serpent in Genesis and become a Dragon in Revelation. We are commanded to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Where sin abounds God cannot use us as a vessel for His service.

I also like to add this additional information. Samuel was anointed with a FLASK of oil. Flask made with human hands. David was anointed with a HORN of oil. Took an animal to be killed (sacrifice) so that he culd be anointed.

Rebellion is likened to witchcraft. No one will readily want to engage in practices of witchcraft, however when we operate in rebellion we equate to this grave sin. In Jeremiah God said that His people committed two grave sins. They have forsaken the Lord and turned to serve idols. Serving idols is like witchcraft. Lucifer walked in rebellion before God and was thrown out of the heavenlies. Rebellion first starts in the heart. The issues of life flow from the heart. Obedience starts from the heart as what is spoken from the mouth proceeds from the heart.That is why God looks at the inside.

Rebellious people always have an alibi. They would justify any wrongdoing. In this case, Saul blamed the soldiers for bringing in the spoils. He also justified that the cattle was for sacrifice to the Lord. One one has a sound justification, one can become pretty arrogant in ones approach.

We sometimes cannot even know the condition of our own hearts. Jer 17:9 The heart is desperately wicked above all things, who can know it. That is why we need the HOLY SPIRIT to guide us into all truth. Being humble and accepting that we are fallable will enable us to receive God's grace for change. Grace comes to the humble. Repentence and prayer can rid us off such rebellion.

I believe that sin left unattended can grow. May start off as a serpent in Genesis and become a Dragon in Revelation. We are commanded to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Where sin abounds God cannot use us as a vessel for His service.

I also like to add this additional information. Samuel was anointed with a FLASK of oil. Flask made with human hands. David was anointed with a HORN of oil. Took an animal to be killed (sacrifice) so that he culd be anointed.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Rebellion is doing it my way instead of what God has said. Rebellion is very serious, it is liken to witchcraft or occult practices. I see these as the work of the enemy. When we find rebellion against God in our heart we need to ask for forgiveness. God looks at the heart. When we are forgiven, God remembers it no more. If we do nothing it is counted against us. God said, "If you love me you will obey me."

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft or occult practices becase it is the seeking of knowledge without God involved; using another source, rather than seeking "the Source".

Rebellion is akin to arrogance because it is thinking that self knows better than God.

When I find rebellion against God in my heart, I ask for forgiveness, and the help of the Holy Spirit, not to repeat the same thing again.

What happens if I do nothing: Rebellion sets up a stonghold in my heart, and I can become less like Jesus, and more like the the world.

What is rebellion? Going against the will of god. I think witchcraft is the same as rebellion because that is not the will of the lord, but of the person partipating in that demonic practice. Well i think arrogance has a lot to do with rebellion against the master, your saying he dosen't know what's best for me, but i know my own way through this world, ( thank the lord he directs my steps through this crazy world). I know when i mess up, i may or may not realize it, that's why we should have a close repentive relationship with the LORD so you can stand in front of a "mirror" all the time, because we know not the time the LORD returns. If you do nothing, nothing happens. I try to be a doer of the word not just a reader, we all fail, but the repentive and obedient heart is what i think the LORD looks for.

Rebellion is putting self or anything else in front of God.  In essence it say’s "God I’ve got it under control, I’ll call on you if I need you." That’s the arrogance piece – I’m know better than you.

When rebellion sneaks in we need to recognize it and immediately ask God to forgive us. We should examine how we allowed it to come in, in hopes of preventing it in the future.  It is as bad as witchcraft and occultism because it subordinates God.

Rebellion can occur when things don't seem to be going our way and we turn our back on the Lord. I believe this occurs quite often when our prayer seem be unanswered, in our rebellion we might stop reading our bible, praying and fasting, but when we do we only hurt ourselves. Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft because it goes against our Lord. Being arrogant is just as bad because we push against the will of God. If we find ourselves in rebellion against our we net to examine our motives and ask the Holy Spirit to guide us in the right direction. We live outside the will of God if we do nothing.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion?

It is doing the opposite of what I know I'm to do! I've rebellled a time or two, and recall that it is the ultimate in stubborn willfulness!

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices?

Rebellion is rejecting the word and direction of the Lord....or choosing to oppose Him. It's joining forces with God's enemy and his evil purposes.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance?

Arrogance and pride are putting my confidence and trust in my own wisdom and ability or strength.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts?

I wave the white flag of SURRENDER, and humble myself before Him, acknowledging my desire to do my own thing, and ask Him to help me to fit into His plans and desires.

What happens if we do nothing?

That seed of rebellion will grow and produce a crop of sin and bad "fruit".

What is rebellion? Rebellion is going our own way instead of being in obedience to what God has asked us to do or has shown us what is right to do.

How is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? Witchcraft/occult practices are forms of idolatry. They are the practices of putting anything in place of God or above God. When we are in rebellion, we place ourselves above God. When we do what "we" want to do instead of being in obedience to what God wants us to do we in essence are saying we know more than God. We put "self" above God.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? When we are arrogant we are prideful and we elevate ourselves in our own minds. Being arrogant leads to rebellion because we become self absorbed and full of self. We loose sight of the fact that we need God as our source and direction. We can become blinded and start to act in "our" will instead of God's will.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? We should get on our knees and confess our rebellion and ask forgiveness. We should seek God's mercy and His help to become humble once again and ask Him to lead us back into His will.

What happens if we do nothing? I believe we become more and more hardened in our hearts and we succumb to falling deeper into darkness and stray farther and farther from God. We lose our way and fall prey to more and more of satan's lies and to the ways of the world. We lose dependence on God's wisdom and believe in our own foolish minds.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23).

What is rebellion?

Rebellion is doing what we decide to do rather than what God tells us; while making our difficult circumstances as excuses.

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft or occult practices in that, like rebellion, practicing witchcraft or occult is going against the authority of God.

Rebellion goes hand in hand with arrogance against God. An arrogant person thinks he/she knows better than God, so he/she does it his/her way instead of God's way, and this often comes with tragic results.

When we find rebellion against God in our hearts, we must repent of this sin so that Jesus can take it away.

If we do nothing, Jesus will deny us and we will not enter the Kingdom of God.

What is rebellion?

Rebellion is an act or a show of defiance toward an authority. means you are not obeying anyone who has authority over you.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? The people who perfom the witchcraft and occult practices they think they are above God same as rebellion if we rebell against the word of God or against those people whom God appoint to lead us is the same as practising occult or witchcraft because we think we above them. there is nothing they can tell us.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? To rebell agaist the word of God or our Leaders is all because of arrogance.

REPENT

I loose the presence of GOD in me

What is rebellion?

Rebellion seems to be the story of my life which is why I love the story of David so much. I can identify with Saul in that so many times in my life I have chosen a path that I know is not congruent with the Bible and it's teaching. I have made the same lame excuses and placed blame on others as Saul did. Why can't I seem to learn my lesson and continue do this over and over again? That is the Saul side of me, letting the accuser blame me, telling me I am not able and that rebellion is my predetermined destiny. So I can follow Sauls' example and drown in my own inability to be perfect and get arrogant at how I can change God's equation and instructions to make me look good or I can follow David's example and turn from my evil ways, repent, and be humbled by God's grace and forgiveness.

Satan wants it his way which is rebellion. To worship Satan is to worship rebellion. If you rebel then aren't you worshiping rebellion? To worship anything besides God is rebellion.

Jesus asked us to serve just as he served the diciples. He did not send us out to command, but to serve. Both Saul and David came from humble beginnings. David was a shepherd and shepherds were certainly not viewed as the creme of society. Jesus dealt with the arrogent religious leaders through out his life. Their arrogance and status was based on how they appeared to follow the rules and that is how their status was guaged. They rebelled by creating their own standards. Since we cannot be perfect the danger appears to be in the act of making ourselves look better than others, creating a standard that we meet and others fail. Everyone has a set of weaknesses and it can be so easy to compare our shortcomings favorably to someone elses.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

If you have a basket of strawberries and there is one moldy strawberry and you fail to remove it. They whole basket will become moldy.

Rebellion to me is bitterness, revealing a heart that does not “FEAR God”.

Saul’s rebellion went so far as to halt what God told Moses to write in a book - God will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek, descendants of Esau, an enemy of God’s chosen people Israel, for they planned to cut off Israel from being a nation, therefore they were going against God’s plan – they did not FEAR the God of Israel, nor did Saul as revealed in his rebelling against God’s commandments to utterly destroy them.

The spirit of witchcraft is an evil spirit that goes against God and His commandments, as is a rebellious stubborn person whose heart is not right with God, whose spirit is not steadfast with God.

God tells us in Numbers 23:23 There is no enchantment against Jacob, neither is there any divination against Israel that could ever do any hurt to such a people, (There is no higher power) Therefore Saul’s rebelling, his bitterness against God’s commands is seen as the same as the spirit of witchcraft - Saul acted as if he were a higher power when he deliberately did not do as God had said he was to do; taking me back to the rebellion in the Garden of Eden.

Because Saul rejected, rebelled against the word of God, God tells us (Ezekiel 12:2) A rebellious house has ears to hear, but they hear not: for they are a rebellious house. God will reject Saul as king.

Rebellion, bitterness in the heart is an ARROGANT spirit, an attitude of superiority; lordliness, haughtiness, high-handedness and pride, all of which are not the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

If a person finds, realizes they have a bitter spirit of rebellion, a spirit that does not DESIRE to follow God’s commandments is to me a good sign, for they still have ears to hear the convicting Spirit of God speak to them, they can call out to God in repentance and when one does that, the heart no longer is that of bitterness, but in its place is that of love, love for God.

To do it our own way or to think our way is better. is in direct opposition to what God tells us to do. The one thing we know about witchcraft or occult practices, is whatever God says there is an opposite conflict to the will of God and what he says for us to do. That's when we begin to find our arrogance. do it how we prefer to do it, and not God's way. which eventually leads to going out of favor with God. When we find it has set up camp in our hearts, we need to take action through prayer and pray it out of our lives. To guard against it from ever becoming a factor in our lives again.

Rebellion is thinking that I know better than God how to run my life and make decisions. I turn my nose up at Him and His wisdom and so things on my own. It is a rejection of His authority over me, and a total and complete disrespect for who He is and what He has already done in my life.

Even Lucifer thought he knew better than God and rebellion was birthed in his heart.

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft and the occult because it (a rebellious heart) believes Satan's lies that there is a better way to get our needs met than relying on God. It is TOTALLY arrogant with a know-it-all attitude.

If I find rebellion in my heart, which I have in the past... well, what actually happened was that I listened to a friend of mine and I began to put God first every day. I now get up at 5 a.m. and have 30-45 minutes of devotional time. I am studying two consecutive Bible studies (not including this one... which makes three!) and I am loving the time I have with the Lord. I pray for others, I pray that the Holy Spirit will fill me and I pray for ears to hear Him and eyes to see Him, and a heart to love and obey, and opportunities to share Him with others.

The Lord has blessed my time. We are in challenging circumstances as a SP family, but the Lord has given me peace and has altered my job situation to give me more time to study and fellowship with other Christians. I cannot say how valuable it is to put the Lord first every day.

I do believe that by doing this, the Holy Spirit WILL keep me humble and NOT rebellious. Having been there, I do NOT want to be there again.

As for what happens if we do nothing... I think our heart will become hardened if I were to do nothing about my personal rebellion. The Lord's interventions in my life will fall onto deaf ears and hardened soil and I will no longer BE ABLE to respond to Him, which is a very dangerous situation to be in.

JabezMom

To me, rebellion is thinking you know better than anyone what should happen. This includes God. It takes a long time to get used to denying yourself so that God may make your decisions for you. When you rebel against God, he uses circumstances to teach you to obey; some may be difficult or life-altering, some may just be simple. In the same way that we rely on the Holy Spirit to ‘empower’ us with the will of the Father, those who indulge in witchcraft rely on Unholy powers to drive them. Arrogance is rebellion in the act of thinking you know better than anyone what should happen and how. When we find rebellion in our hearts, we must pray and ask God’s wisdom to circumcise us, and lead us into His path. If we do nothing, we do not grow in the Lord, and we receive no blessings in our lives.

Burger King promoted it "Have it Your Way"; Frank Sinatra sang about it "My Way", on many occasion we ascribe to it our way, God despises "our way". Rebellion, nonconformity = usurp, insubordination = noncompliance, mutiny = against, rebellion, doing what we decide to do rather than what God tells us. Doing it our way.

Isaiah 1:11-20

By the way, Travis, I love your Sinatra reference! I think that you and I do have much to learn from one another.

God's peace on your journey this day. And on each person taking on this sacred journey.

Oh yes. Many a times. I have decided to follow my own path. Most of the time it is due to pride, and an “attitude of I know all”. My rebellious or arrogant personality made me to refuse to listen to God’s word, pray or obey Lord. What is needed is to accept Jesus Christ, as Lord and savior and confess our sins and seek forgiveness from Lord who died for us. Next time when pride and /or arrogance creep in in the heart call upon the Word of God and pray so that Holy Spirit will give us the strength to overcome this. If we do not do this there is no peace or joy .

Rebellion is "as the sin of witchcraft," by which the Bible means they are on equal footing in regards to being sin. Both look outside of God for direction, rebellion to the self, and witchcraft to demonic activity. Both have put someone other than God in His place, and do so intentionally. When I find myself seeking my own will rather than God's, I realize that I am responsible for my actions, whether in thought, word, or deed. I need to say with Jesus, "Not my will, but Thine be done."

How arrogant is the one who seeks his own will instead of God's. In effect, he is saying, "I am as powerful, as knowing, as wise as God and am perfectly capable of determining my own destiny." It reminds me of the song, "I Did it My Way." I shake in my shoes when I hear someone sing that song, arrogantly proclaiming that he does not need God!

When I realize I am in rebellion against God, most often it is in my thought life. Left alone, those thoughts will turn into words and eventually into actions, for every action begins with a thought (even if subconsciously). Once I have stepped over the line, I find it harder and harder to turn back. Instead, I need to cry out to God for forgiveness and the power to live life in a Christ-like manner. I rejoice that He is conforming me to His Son's image, and that includes carving out those areas that are tainted with rebellion.

Q1 What is rebellion?

Rebellion is any time we do what is contrary to the one in authority.

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft or occult practices in the way that we are replacing our own agenda with God's agenda. With witchcraft a person is trying to make something happen for your benefit. Saul decided to offer the sacrifice to keep his army from abandoning him, and the other time he didn't want to oppose the desires of the people fighting for him. Generally, the practice was that the concquering army received the goods of the conquest. I think God was testing Saul's loyalty to himself like he did with Joshua when he fought the battle of Jericho. I believe God told Joshua to destroy everything, and when he did God allowed him to reap the harvest of the following battle.

Arrogance, to me, is the pride in oneself. You think you know better than anyone else especially the one who is an authority over you.

If we find rebellion against God in our hearts we need to pray for forgiveness and ask God to change our hearts.

If we do nothing, we will continue to rebel.

Rebellion is doing things our way and disregarding careful attention to what God has said or prescribed through his generic or specific will for our lives.

It is as bad as witchcraft or occult practices in that it exalts personal will over God’s will and tries to fulfil personal agendas rather than God’s

Arrogance carries with it the attitude of thinking that our thoughts and plans are better than God’s and so is closely connected to rebellion which fosters getting our way instead of God’s ways and thus exalting self over God (a form of idolatry). Basically arrogance is at the root of a rebellious heart.

What can we do if we have rebellion in our hearts? We definitely should acknowledge it and cry out to God to forgive us for such a reality that veils us from His face and cuts us from His favour. We also need to make sure that we bring our plans, projects and desires into alignment with His heart and will as we surrender them to Him with no desire to follow through anything that would be contrary to His will for our lives.

If we do nothing then we open ourselves up to deception… taking our will for the will of God and presuming being led of God when we actually are fulfilling our own plans. Of course the consequences could be difficult such as being out of the will of God and therefore come under much heartache and sufferings that are not proceeding from our Father’s purpose but are destructive in nature.