JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Saul sends David into battle for two main reasons:

- He couldn't stand his presence at the court - He wanted David to be away because the latter was reminding him of his rejection as a king (jealousy)

- Saul was also hoping that he would somehow be able to get rid of David by sending him into fierce battles but David was gaining even more success and respect from the people and the army itself (murder)

The actual result of that is that David rises in leadership to become a hero for the people of Israel. Saul wasn't able to hinder his successes even though he attempted to get rid of him.

Besides the fact that we may see David to be a great leader knowing how to federate the troops and probably having tactical skills to lead battles the final analysis of the narrator is that David's success is attributed to the fact that "GOD WAS WITH HIM".

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saul was getting jealous with David's success. David was praised more than Saul by the women when the battle was won. David becomes a threat to Saul and so he plans to send him to battle with the Philistines so that he would die.

David is man of God. Truly, the Lord is with him and what Saul meant for his harm turns out for the good of David he returns back winning the battle. The Lord his God gives him success.

Davids success is attributed to his faith in God.

When the people of Israel began to sing, "Saul has killed thousands, and David has killed ten thousands", Saul became jealous and with the addition of an evil spirit, Saul tried to kill David and couldn't. So Saul promoted him to leader of thousands and sent him into battle to be killed.

The result was that David had victory after victory and was praised all the more by the people. David proved to be a great leader and warrior.

David's success was wholly based on the fact that God was with him at all times to bless him

1. SAUL SENT DAVID INTO BATTLE WITH THE THOUGHT THAT HE WOULD BE KILLED. SAUL WAS VERY JEALOUS OF DAVID'S POPULARITY.DAVID CONTINUED TO BE THE SAME WITH SAUL. WE ALL SHOULD DO AS PAUL DID WHEN SOMEONE TRIES TO ATTACK US LOVE THEM

2. DAVID CONTINUED TO BE HUMBLE . HE TRIED TO HAVE A LOVING SPIRIT TOWARD SAUL.

3.HIS LOVE AND FAITH HE HAD IN THE LORD.

Just curious, what do you call "sexual immorality?" I have relatives and friends who are homosexuals and I love them for who they are, but I do not condone their choice of sexuality. I do not think that God created women or men to have sexual relations with each other. According to Scripture, God created woman to be man's companion, I believe. Just curious to what a Christian gay person would say about this subject.

I DON'T THINK THERE ARE CHRISTIAN GAY PEOPLE. ROMANS 1: 25-32. TO BE A CHRISTIAN IS TO GIVE YOUR LIVE TOTALLY TO THE LORD

AND HAVING SEX WITH THE SAME SEX IS FORBIDDEN IN THE BIBLE IN THE SCRIPTURES ABOVE. I DON'T JUDGE NOBODY BUT IF WE LIVE RIGHT WE HAVE TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTION OF GOD'S WORD.

Saul sent David to battle to get him away from him and to possibly put him in a situation where he would be killed.

David and his men had victory and he was popular with his soldiers and the people.

It was accomplished that way because God was with him.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

He wants to eliminate a problem in a way that would be popular with the people. If he died in battle, nobody would blame Saul and they will still have huge respect for David, Saul would win twice.

David just became more popular and proved to the people that he was a good leader.

God was with David, in the same way Joseph was suported by God.

When we walk with God, God makes us a success. In whatever we do. As with both David and Joseph they both go through hard times, yet they are still successful because God is with them.

Modern times will call a success as making a lot of money, but these men achieved much and were recognized for it

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

Saul sends David into battle to get him away from him because David is a constant reminder of his failure and also to send him into to battle. David is an overcomer because he is victorious in all his battle and also he is a great leader because God is with him.

Saul promotes David and sends him into battle in order to get him out of the court and put him in harm’s way. David succeeds in battle and is not harmed. The narrator tells us it is because God is with him.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David success?

Saul is jealous of David's success in battle and he is also jealous that God has taken his favor from Saul because of his disobedience and given it to David. Instead of repentance, Saul makes more and more mistakes i.e. trying to kill David with a spear,( not once but twice, and even more times as we read on in 1 Samuel , 2 Samuel). Yet David holds no animosity towards Saul. He loves Saul and considers himself Saul servant even until the day of Saul's death. Saul longs to be back in Gods favor, but he cannot find his way back. He sends David to the front lines in hopes that he will be killed.Saul's jealousy rages and he wants to be free of David once and for all. BUT GOD HAS a BIG SURPRISE FOR SAUL!! God's power and strength are Davids blessing, because of his deep faith, obedience and love for God,he cannot be defeated. God's love overpowers Saul's hatred and jealousy! David's strong faith and trust in God, and God's love for David keeps him safe from his enemies.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.Psalm 18:2 ( written by David)

David's heart and trust, his faith, are always with God.

Saul sends David into battle to be killed, rather than doing it himself, so that the blood of David would be upon the Phillistines, rather than himself. The result of Saul's coniving against David was that David was successful in all he did, and the people loved David. David's success is attributed to the fact that the Lord was with David.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16).

Why does Saul send David into battle?

He wants him to be killed. Like David did to Bathsheba's husband, Uriah.

What is the result?

He didn't get killed. In fact it was the opposite. He won the battles and won them good. If it was a football game the crowd watching would say that it wasn't a good game because it was evident who was going to win early in the game.

To what does the narrator attribute David's success?

That God was with David.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1164

WHY DOES SAUL SEND DAVID INTO BATTLE? WHAT IS THE RESULT? TO WHAT DOES THE NARRATOR ATTRIBUTE DAVID'S SUCCESS:

He was angry at David and afraid of him. Saul did not like David's music. He put David in charge of 1000 soldiers, and then sent him out to fight. The help of Jesus in his battle.

He simply wanted to get rid of David. David was successful in all that he did. The Lord was always with DAvid. Beautiful

1. Saul sent David to battle so that he can be killed

the result came out to be a victorious man and a great warrior

his success was attributed to God

2. David saw that Michal loved him, he was motivated to pay the bride price

3. Saul does not have the fear of God

the Holy Spirit aids them and speak through them

the relationship is that they prophesied when the holy spirit came upon them and on the day of penticost when the holy spirit came they speak in new tongues, that is also prophesy

Saul sends David into battle because he can't stand to have David around. Saul hopes that by placing David in a dangerous situation he will be killed.

However,Saul plans to get rid of David backfires on him. Instead of getting killed,David has great success on the battlefield.

The narrator attributes David success to the fact that the Lord was with him. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David's success?

Saul has seen David defeat Goliath. Giving him more to do in the army is a natural evolution. And as David succeeds more he is promoted; but he is also becoming more loved by the people and army leader than Saul would like. He become a threat in the insecure heart of Saul. This is because God had taken HIs spirit of protection from Saul in order to anoint David. So it is a matter of time before David will lead and Saul will be finished.

It is God's plan that David succeed and lead Israel as King. Nothing will stop this, no efforts by Saul will be able to overcome God's will.

This is true in our lives, we need to trust and obey, and listen and see what is evolving as we trust God.