JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Inquiring of the Lord

To show David to ask God for guidance before he reacted. David knew God was with him and he acted on God word.If we seek God before we make hasty decisions then we won't have to have God undo what we did without frist going to Hiim

We seek God and ask Him for guidance and be patient until we hear from God . This is hard for a lot of people but you can rest assured you will get the right answer. BE PATIENT WAIT UPON THE LORD.

David is led by the Lord, while Saul acts in the dark. Out of tragedy, God brings light. What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with "inquiring of the Lord?" Why did David inquire of the Lord? What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God's will before acting? How can you find God's will at key points in your life?

Abiathar was the son of a a high priest. The ephod which was part of the high priest's garments included a pair of lots, the Urim and the Thummim, which provided the answers "yes", "no" and "maybe". When both lots are cast, if the same answer appeared, then the answer is clear. David inquired of the Lord so that he made the right decisions which will ensure his success. We all have to seek God's will before acting so that we do not make the wrong decisions and act rashly. We can find God's will when we pray and when we read and know His word. When we read His word, we will know his character and his promises and personally, I find that these help me a great deal in also knowing His will.

Abiathar brought the ephod with him so David could inquire of the Lord through the Urim & Thummin.

David inquired of the Lord because he knew God was in control & that David wanted to be in His will. Actually, David was using his wisdom to inquire before making a move.

God & you are a majority!

Pray, read His Word, seek counsel from godly men & women.

What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with “inquiring of the Lord?”

1. Abiathar had fled with the ephod and brought it to David. Ephod is part of the high priest garments used to determine God's will.

Why did David inquire of the Lord?

2. David inquire of the Lord because he wanted to know if he should attack the Philistines that had City of Keilahl.

What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God’s will before acting?

3. Advantage to seek God's will before acting is you are asking for God's guidance. He will be with you.

How can you find God’s will at key points in your life?

4. Seek Him thru prayer, listen to what he says and He will guide you in the right way.

Since Abiathar was a priest he was able to go to the ephod and do the drawing of the lot. The questions were always “yes” or “no” type questions and therefore drawing the lot would be a “yes”, “no” or maybe answer.

David would inquire of the Lord because he knew that the Lord was the only one that knew the answers. When we seek the Lord’s answer before acting then you know that He is going to guide you through the process.

We can find God’s will at key points in our lives be keeping in touch with the Lord through bible study, reading the bible, and associating with God’s people. You never know which one of these processes He is going to use to give you the answer.

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12) What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with “inquiring of the Lord?” Why did David inquire of the Lord? What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God’s will before acting? How can you find God’s will at key points in your life?

Abiathar was a high priest, the epod is part of the high Priest garments.It is used to determine God's will.

David inquired of the Lord becasue he had strong faith and desired to do God's will. His trust and faith is in God always.

The person who seeks God's will is faithful, obedient and trust God with all his heart.God is a faithful God and He will not lead us into darkness. He is with us always, we are His children.

Finding God's will is not always easy. The first and foremost way to know God's will is to pray fervently for the Holy Spirit to reveal God's word and will. Pray,asking God's to reveal His will for you, listen with your heart, and wait patiently and God's will, will be revealed. God's will isn't always as easy to discern as it was for David, sometimes we hear God's word, He is speaking to us and we hear but don't listen or we are to caught up in earthly matter and the 'troubles' of the day to hear what God is saying. OR our own will seems stronger and wants to take over. But, remember the will of the Holy Spirit is far more POWERFUL than our will and if we seek God's will earnestly we shall receive it. God's will is Sovereign and all POWERFUL!"Those who have ears let them hear!" God will reveal his will if you seek Him. Knock and the door will be opened".

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12) What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with “inquiring of the Lord?” Why did David inquire of the Lord? What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God’s will before acting? How can you find God’s will at key points in your life?

The ephod is part of the high priest's garments that include the Urim and Thummim. David now has the ability to seek God's will about key decisions. David asked the Lord if he should persue the Philistines. The advantage that David has is that the Lord is leading him. Anyone who is being directed and led by God is in line for success and not failure. If we continue to have fellowship with God through His Word and prayer then we will remain in line with His will and we will prevail in all things.

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12) What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with "inquiring of the Lord?" Why did David inquire of the Lord? What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God's will before acting? How can you find God's will at key points in your life?

Abiathar brought with him an ephod when he escaped when all of the priest were being killed. The ephod was a part of the priest clothing. It was similar to casting lots. It seemed like it was a type of dice that when thrown it could come up as 2-yes, or 2-no's or a yes and a no. Two of the same answer was a definite answer from God. David had inquired of God if he should attack the Philistines. He got the same yes answer 2 times. This doesn't seem quite right to me, but it was the Old Testament and the Holy Spirit did not indwell within God fearing people at this time. Also, time was of the essence for a reply (in some instances God answered mans questions via a dream). The huge advantage that someone have of inquiring to God before acting is it demonstrates his belief in God and that God will supply the answer to him and will provide for the answer being accomplished as God stated. We can find God's will at key point in our life by praying to God and asking him to supply our answer. Ask that the reply be obvious and that you are accepting and obedient of the response.

What Abithar and the ephod had to do with "inquiring of the Lord" was that the ephod included the Urim and Thummim which where like lots to determine God's will in a given situation.

David inquires of the Lord because he wants to know if he should attack the Philistines.

The huge advantage a person who seeks God's will before acting is,being willing to be led by the Spirit rather than acting in the flesh.

You can find God's will in key points in your life through seeking God in prayer,spending time in reading the scriptures, and listening to Biblical counsel.

"Abiathar, a son of Ahimelech son of Ahitub, escaped and fled to join David.... Now Abiathar son of Ahimelech had brought the ephod down with him when he fled to David at Keilah.

When David learns about Saul's slaughter, he is heartsick and feels that it is his fault. He invites the high priest's son, Abiathar,[90]to stay with him for his own safety. But there is another important benefit of Abiathar's presence -- the ephod.

The ephod is part of the high priest's garments that include the Urim and Thummim, apparently lots used to determine God's will when David inquires of Yahweh]David now has the ability to seek God's will about key decisions. In addition, both David and the prophet Gad possess a prophetic gift to hear from God (2 Samuel 23:1-2). David is led by the Lord, while Saul acts in the dark. Out of tragedy, God brings light.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12) What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with “inquiring of the Lord?”

What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God’s will before acting?

How can you find God’s will at key points in your life?

a. The epod is part of the High Priests garments and contaned the urim and thummim, lots

used to determin God's will. Now David has the ability to seek God's will concerning any

key problems.

b. Being able to consult with the Lord was vital to David's security, so he could remain

free and stay in God's will.

c. The hugh advantage of knowing you are doing God's will, knowing if you should fight

and win, or to leave the area to be free to fight a different battle at a later battle for God.

d.. Being new to such an indepth study, first I pray to God to guide me in the decision or

direction I should take. I try to read the Bible each day. I listen to God, trusting Him to

be with me. God wants to helo (and believe me He has help me in my life). He wants a

deep and trusting relation from me. I know He is there for me, helping m,,all I have to

do is ask Him to guide me and help

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12) What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with "inquiring of the Lord?" Why did David inquire of the Lord? What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God's will before acting? How can you find God's will at key points in your life?

The key points in my life with God are all about NOW; being constantly pryerful and greatful is what the bible tell us to do.Thessalonians 5:17 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. This is the secret the discipline the way to stay in contact with GOd at all times. "Inquiring of the Lord" is beter if we are already in contact with HIM and listening for HIS guidance.

It seems I am attempting to do this more and more, since my habits are not at all like this; rather I'd seek what I think God wants me to do, or what I think si best from all my life habits. This is a mistake and I feel it can be overcome with as close to constant prayer as possible. Just being reminded that Psalm 29:11 promises we'll be blessed with peace.

Are we really doing what God wants? We should be inquiring all the time. I pray that this become my lifestyle. Thsi is how to learn to truat HIM; there is no other way.

AreAre

• 2 months later...

2a)Abiathar (Ahimilech’s son) was only priest to escape slaughter at Nob,when he fled to David at Kellah he brought the ephod,the high priest garment with the Urim &Thumim.This David could use using this as lots to inquire of the Lord, seeking God’s will about decisions,gaving yes,maybe or no answers to questions.

b)David inquired of the Lord whether he had to make difficult decisions e.g when vulnerable,whether he should fight the Philistines at Kellah, whether it was safe for him to stay at Kellah, or move with his men, to avoid capture by Saul.

c)Those who seek God’s will before making decisions/acting,giving matters totally to God,waiting,listen for&sensing his leading,will be rewarded,not be led astray &have the security and enabling power of God in what they do.God is sovereign.

d)We can find God’s will, by meditating on the bible,praying,having faith,asking His help and receiving from Him, through HisSpirit working in us,& in discussion with pastor,life gp,having a close relationship with God at all times.

• 1 year later...

Abiathar had the ephod which holds the Urim and Thummim which are lots that were cast to hear God's answer to a plea.

David inquired of the Lord about attacking the Philitines because they were attacking Keilah and stealing their crops.

When you inquire of God before acting on your own shows Him that you are putting him first and depend solely on His will to accomplish your Goals.  And with his blessings all will be won.

Finding God's will at Key points in my life is not easy, I wish I had a Urim and Thummim.  Prayer and Studying helps the best.

• 1 year later...

Abiathar fled to join David & being a high priest brought with him his ephod, the high priest clothing used for determineing Gods will. David then had the ability to find out Gods will on key issues.

David invites Abiathar to stay with him to keep him safe from Saul.

David asked God for guidance & God told David to attack the pilistines at Keilah, David did this & was successful.

If we seek first the kindom of God, put God first in all things & ask God for his help & do his will, not our own, this is the greatest advantage we could ever have.

These are good key points to always remember when we are going through life's trials & tribulations, ask God first & do his will.

• 1 year later...

Apparently there are two types of ephods. When is the statue and the other is a linen vestment. Both seem to being connected to oracles and were able in some fashion to predict the events of the future. It is not really clear in first Samuel 22 and 23 which of these two types were brought to David. It would seem that if Abiathar was a priest he might have been wearing the linen ephod. However, he might have been carrying the ephod.

David inquired of God so that he could have for warning of God's knowledge and do the things which God would want.

What God plans, God happens. Isaiah wrote - as the Heavens are higher than the oceans so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return without watering the Earth and making it bud and flourish so that it heals see for the soul and bread for the eater. So it is with my word that goes out from my mouth it will not return to me empty but will accomplish what I desire and it she's the person for which I sent it.

To know the will of God we can only pray and consult with the Holy Spirit. For the Holy Spirit no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

• 3 years later...

1.What did Abiathar and Ephod have to do with inquiring of the Lord?

Ephod was priest garment to enquire of the Lord and since Abiathar was a high priest , he had to inquire from God whether David should attack Phillistines

Why did David inquire of the Lord ? To be sure that his attack to the Ohillistines is God's will

What advantage  of enquiring  of God have to the person? Will be acting in God's will concerning  the situation and whatever happens God us involved.

How can you find God's will at key points in your life?

Through prayer asking for His guidance and reading His word.

• 1 year later...

Abiathar was the closest connection/in line to the priests that Saul had killed. He had brought the ephod with him into David's safe haven, so this was how David wanted to enquire of the Lord. He was seeking help you know what the Lord was answering his questions. 

David was unsure what battles to fight and how to proceed. He was actually trying to be obedient to the Lords will within the complications of his circumstances. He was taking specific time out to enquire of the Lord and making a ritual out of it as well to ensure the involvement of all within his care I would think.

A person who seeks God always before acting comes into alignment with Gods will for their life! This is the profound advantage. The ability to be obedient at each and every step.

Try and spend 100% of time God aware and focused. Before acting, surrender the situation to God for his will to be done. Pray to God and listen for him to speak by thought and circumstance. Read and Study his word and seek out fellow believers for worship, sharing and council.   

• 3 months later...

Abiathar goes with the ephod (which is a linen apron worn in ancient Hebrew rites to David.
David’s inquiring of the Lord is because he wants the Lord to let him know  of the Philistine raiders are attacking the walled Judean city of Keilah
And if he needs to attack them

God didn’t turn a deaf ear to David’s inquiry and He won’t turn a deaf ear to us when we pursue His will and way for our lives and seek His counsel and guidance. God knows our dilemmas and has compassion for our problems, and is always available– If we will just inquire.

Q2. (1 Samuel 22:20-23:12)

What did Abiathar and the ephod have to do with "inquiring of the Lord?"

What huge advantage does the person have who seeks God's will before acting?

How can you find God's will at key points in your life?

Abiathar was the only one of the priests left, after the slaughter of the priests at Nob, ordered by Saul through the hand of Doeg, (the Edomite), in his crazed state, when he found that David had received assistance there.  

I assume that the ephod which Abiathar brought with him, was the garment his murdered father, the high priest, used to wear when he enquired of the Lord. In this garment was also the Urim and the Thummmim, used by the high priest to get an answer from the Lord.   

David wanted to follow the Lord and that was why he inquired of Him what to do in the serious situation before them, where the Philistines were plundering the threshing floors of Keilah.  David and his motley army did indeed fight the Philistines and won the battle. Then again he inquired of the Lord , as to what next.  The Lord clearly showed that inspite of them having helped the people of Keilah,  the inhabitants would turn them over to Saul.  This was then a sure sign that they had to leave that place as they were no longer safe there.  

The advantage is that the person is then in the "will of the Lord" at that time of his life and is not going about doing his own thing.  

We can seek the Lord through prayer, through the reading of God's Word, through joint prayer also with key-persons in ones life,( who also live for God,)  through conusel of the leadership where we fellowship together (church).