JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Rewards for Christian Service

Therefore, my dear brother , stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord. because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. ( 1 Cor 15: 58)

i am always inspired by the above verse from the Word of God to do serve Him joyfully. our love for Christ motivates us to serve Him and when we serve Him wholeheartedly the fruit that comes out of that labor soemtimes becomes enough a reward for our work!!!!

The sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross for me,his shed blood that has redeemed me and brought me into His marvelous light itself is a reward for the service i give him in return. Yet he never leaves us there. when we do everything according to His will He rewards us by meeting all our needs and filling us with both spiritual and material blessings!

Anything that is done which does not glorify the Name of Jesus, not done in his Name, the work that is done without consulting Christ himself and not based on His Word has no reward.

It gives us immense joy to report back or tell our good Lord all that we do for him and for His Kingdom because the greatest joy we get is we did it for Jesus and tell him back that He is the Lord of all the service we did for Him. we get immense joy when we know we have done just as what the master told us to and did just the way he told us to do by the guidance of His Holy Spirit.

when we hear his gentle voice in prayer -- that comforts us, guides us, corrects us and fills us with more joy and peace and also his wonderful blessings it motivates us to love Him and serve Him more!

• 2 weeks later...

:wub: I don't have to justifty it because it is in God word

before I was born and God know what his people need

and I just live for God and everything will come on that

great day.Christ reward our cheerful giving,our faith

and letting people know of his salvation and how

easy it is to get it.It should bring us preasure because

we are working for our father and he is please with our

serves.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him?

I hadn't thought of the need to justify what God has promised. He's a good God, who loves to give, probably more than we want to receive. That He wants to reward His children is so typical of a loving parent...who wants to see joy and surprise on the faces of His children.

What does Christ reward?

He rewards anything we have allowed the Holy Spirit to do through us, as small as giving a cup of cold water in His name, to as large as dying a martyr's death, for which there is a special crown reserved. But as we then lay our crowns at His feet, all is for His Honor and Glory.

What doesn’t he reward?

He doesn't reward works of the flesh, our bright ideas, service to make oneself look/feel important....anything He has not accomplished through us is "wood, hay and stubble", which will burn up when tested "by fire"...

Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure?

He redeemed and bought me with His blood, and I am no longer my own, but His. That I am accountable to Him is a pleasure, found only in a love relationship.

How does it motivate us?

When I wake up I ask Him to order my steps (they are already ordered, as He has planned my day, but saying it that way reminds me to be walking in the steps which He desires for me to walk....to be attentive to listen and watch for Him. I'm motivated to follow closely because He alone knows the way where we're going each day. I've tried my own way in the past and it didn't turn out well....so because He knows what is best for me, loves me dearly, and is all wise, I want to follow only where He leads. I don't want to get to Heaven and discover that my life was pointless.....My desire is to have some "sheaves of wheat" to lay at His feet, which are the result of yielding to the promptings of His Holy Spirit.

May the Holy Spirit inspire you, encourage you and give you the resilience and desire to complete your book, as I am sure it will bless many people. Thank you for your answer to the question above too. I am new at this, and am still trying to catch up and am several lessons behind at the moment. but will get there eventually!

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him? What does Christ reward? What doesn’t he reward? Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure? How does it motivate us?

We are so use to instant gratification we feel that is the only way to receive a reward, but we are so very wrong when we seek instant since only the world gives instant gratification. God watches as we choose the rewards in life. He isn't pushy so he doesn't demand his way even though there are big differences in gratification and blessings. Blessings are not instant but oh are they so much more than gratification. There aren't any free justification in instant gratification as in a blessing and God loves us so much if we but ask he will give us so much more if we but wait, repent and believe. It is through his love and our continual worship that we are given blessings that gratifications could never come close to.

• 2 weeks later...

We can justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God's free gift of salvation and our love for Him because of the promises in His Word.

What Christ rewards is, works done out of love for Him and the desire to share the gospel.

What Christ doesn't reward is,works done for personal ambition or ungodly gain.

Showing accountability to our Master should bring us pleasure because,we know He is going to reward us for our faithful service.

This motivates us by helping us to want to do the best job we can in our service to Him.

• 1 month later...

It is true that our salvation is locked in and we had nothing to do with it except to believe, but I don’t understand what all goes on in heaven when Paul talks about rewards in heaven. There must be something that we have to work for here on earth if order to get that reward. I can’t think of anything better than going to heaven for eternity but there must be something happening there that I don’t understand.

Showing accountability to the Master brings us pleasure because we will be able to show Him what we have been doing for Him, even though He already knows. It motivates us because we want Him to call us his “good and faithful servant”.

• 2 weeks later...

How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him?

We can justify a desire for rewards by referring to God's promise of rewards in heaven for the faithful.Salvation is given by God's Grace and we do not have to work for it. But after salvation we need to show our faith in Christ through our works which will be rewarded in Heaven

What does Christ reward?

Christ rewards all our efforts and actions that manifest our faith in Jesus Christ and love for God. We have to do it in obedience.

What doesn’t he reward?

Our efforts and actions that are impure i.e not centered on God. Works done for personal glory.

Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure? How does it motivate us?

It is an act of love. By showing accountability to Jesus our Master, we are showing that we honour Him and love Him.

By honouring Him and loving Him we would please Him and he will reward us richly.

We can justify a desire for rewards through increasing the talent the God has given us; winning souls for the kingdom of God. Christ rewards those who convert others to Christianity. No increase in your talent He gave you, no reward! We should feel accountable and motivated just knowing that Christ gave us a free gift because He loves us that much, His life!

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2 Thessalonians

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God's free gift of salvation and our love for him?

What does Christ reward? What doesn't he reward?

Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure?

How does it motivate us?

These are very though provoking questions! And I agree with Dr Ralph that we evangelicals are somewhat "embarrassed" by then notion of rewards and have often ignored the thought of them.

I am probably not going to answer those questions directly...and my thoughts will probably be a bit scatterbrained but below are some ponderings about this

I. A wee section out of Wayne Grudem's systematic Theology is worth considering. (p1144)

But we must guard against misunderstanding here: Even though there will be degrees of reward in heaven, the joy of each person will be full and complete for eternity. If we ask how this can be when there are different degrees of reward, it simply shows that our perception of happiness is based on the assumption that happiness depends on what we possess or the status or power that we have. In actuality, however, our true happiness consists in delighting in God and rejoicing in the status and recognition that he has given us. The foolishness of thinking that only those who have been highly rewarded and given great status will be fully happy in heaven is seen when we realize that no matter how great a reward we are given, there will always be those with greater rewards, or who have higher status and authority, including the apostles, the heavenly creatures, and Jesus Christ and God himself. Therefore if highest status were essential for people to be fully happy, no one but God would be fully happy in heaven, which is certainly an incorrect idea. Moreover, those with greater reward and honor in heaven, those nearest the throne of God, delight not in their status but only in the privilege of falling down before God’s throne to worship him (see Rev. 4:10–11).

II. I think 1 Cor 3 (see below) shows clearly a differentiation between rewards for our works and rewards of salvation* I know this whole concept of degrees of reward is debated (Fee not seeing a reward for works , Fee 1 Cor NICNT 142-143) Its an interesting subject

leon morris says

The test in fire will determine whether or not a man will receive a ‘wage’ (misthos, see on v. 8; here it is the wage of the building worker whose work is approved; cf. Luke 19:16–19; Rev. 22:12). All those considered here are saved, for they have built on the one foundation, Jesus Christ. Even of the one whose work is burnt up it is said that he himself will be saved. The distinction is not between the lost and the saved, but among the saved between those who have built well and those who have built poorly

david prior states

No doubt every Christian’s work is mixed in quality; no doubt we all shall have the awesome sadness of seeing much of our work burned up BST

III. Of course the rewards of our salvation are based on what Christ has done for us-He has procured for us a glorious future, a future we could have never worked for (see Paul's insistence of receiving this salvation through Christ not by our earning it by keeping the law)

Then having been saved by faith in Christ we "then" as new creatures with new priorities do good works (this is a natural consequence of having true faith in Christ...see James) which God prepared before hand that we should walk in them (eph 2:5-10)

These works are not to earn salvation...but because we are working out our salvation, because we want to please our wonderful God, and because God's Spirit is guiding and empowering us, helping us to surrender to the Lordship of Christ.

For this kingdom work we do- there is reward beyond the regular rewards of salvation

Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. (1 Cor. 3:12–15)

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NIV

[19] For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? [20] Indeed, you are our glory and joy.

* Re these regular rewards of salvation ( I know "regular" is a weird choice of word seeing they are so wonderful!!)

A resurrection body

Heaven/Paradise

- a place where all thing will be made new!

-a place where only righteousness dwells ie no sin present (inward or outward)

-a place with : no enemies, no pain, no death, no suffering etc,

-a place where we will dwell in the very presence of God

see Rev 21 and Eph 1:18- and Phil 3, 2 Pet 3, and 1 Cor 15 etc

I really appreciate Dr Ralph's touching on rewards:

Reward" in 1 Corinthians 3:14 is misthos, literally, "remuneration for work done, pay, wages," then by extension, "recognition (mostly by God) for the moral quality of an action, recompense." While the word can be used in an unfavorable sense as "requital" for the wicked, it usually positive, referring to our rewards in heaven.[83] For example, Jesus says, "great is your reward in heaven" (Matthew 5:12), a "reward from your Father in heaven" (Matthew 6:1), "a righteous man's reward" (Matthew 10:41), a reward for labor in church planting (1 Corinthians 3:8, 14), "rewarded fully" for a conscientious Christian life (2 John 8). The rewards are distributed at Christ's coming, "rewarding your servants the prophets" (Revelation 11:18), probably at the "judgment seat of Christ."

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him? What does Christ reward? What doesn’t he reward? Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure? How does it motivate us?

I imagine as reward a big smile from God, that he is pleased with me like a parent is pleased when the children bring something they have done to show their love. He will reward our motivation rather than the result, as we wouldn't expect children to produce something what is beyond their age. We will not be rewarded for something only he can do like the salvation of other people. But I think we will be surprised that he might reward something like tears we shared with somebody even though we may not remember it as something special. When we open our heart to God and let him reach others through us we will naturally feel pleasure but when we do works of the flesh we will only wear ourselves out without much joy. So it is good for us to keep short accounts with God and make sure to stay in his presence. That will correct and motivate us.

• 3 weeks later...

It is true that we have free grace and salvation but that shouldn't be taken so lightly when ministering and teaching the word to others. We are to be responsible and not sinful in our endevours to fulfill the commission given to us. Rewards are earned, grace and salvation were given. I want to hear well done from my Lord and not be guilty of quick and sloopy works for His Kingdom on earth. Our mission to people with the Word is serious and the salvation of their souls is of upmost importance. Christ will not reward works done for self glory or gain. Works are rewarded that are done in pure love for another. I pray to be able to stand accountable and not be ashamed of my work for the Lord on earth. To see His pleasure in what I accomplished for Him will give me great joy. I need nothing more than that. My love for Jesus motivates me.

• 2 weeks later...

(1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labor in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him? What does Christ reward? What doesn’t he reward? Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure? How does it motivate us?

God rewards those who diligently does His will.  I believe that Christ rewards us for what we have done or not done after our salvation eperience.  As stated these rewards are not connected to earning our way to heaven for there is nothing that we can do to earn our salvation as John points out in John 1:13 and Paul in Ephesians 2:8&9.  Christ rewards what we have done according to His will and how we treat the Jewish people stated in Matthew 25:35-40.  He does not reward those who are not committed to Him but to the world.  We are accountable for what we say, do, and act in the Church as wll as the Jewish people.  Our motivation is to be like Christ. 

We are only human and it's in human nature to want to be rewarded for our works.

Christ rewards those things that we have done that are good and in His will. He gives us a crown of life and openly welcomes us to heaven with him.

He doesn't reward those things that we have done that are not in line with His will or salvation (that is free).

Showing accountability to our Master shows that we have been working on Kingdom building projects and not just sitting around being lazy. It feels good to be able to boast to our earthly boss that we have been busy working and give an account of what we have done. Just think about how good it will feel for God to boast about what we have done.

• 2 months later...

We cannot because there is no reason to, as we are doing God’s work out of love for Him.  However, we know that since even Jesus Christ gave a parable indicating that we will receive rewards for our labour in God’s work.  According to the parable in Matthew 25, he rewards the faithfulness; and does not rewards unfaithfulness.     

• 1 year later...

This topic is an example of the paradoxcial  God we serve, love and worship.  Free grace and our salvation is offered in Ephesians 2.8 and 9 but the importance of receiving credit for good works in 1 Corinthians 3.13-15. Almost the contrary. It seems as if the difference may be explained by sanctification as explained by John Wesley and his Methodists. That is in the 1 Corinthians verses is actually speaking of sanctification- a process where the believer is gradually sanctified by the power of the Holy Spirit and as such tends to perform works of piety. As we are cloaked with the righteousness of Christs these works of piety, although we perform them, are really the works of the Holy Spirit. In our sanctification by the Lord we are rewarded in this life by a life of shalom and in the future the blessings. When Paul talks of rewards for work he can only mean the rewards of the Spirit for did Jesus not teach that the last shall be the first and the first last. Our good works as Christians then are only the works of the sanctification process and when we go to be with Jesus there will be no Jew or Greek, no slave or free, nor male or female but all shall be one in Christ. This is our motivation:"That God so loved the world he gave his only Son..." John 3.16

• 6 months later...

God gave us a gift by grace as our salvation. This came without any strings attached. However, if we turn our lives around and start living our lives the way that makes God and Jesus proud. They offer us rewards that accumulate in heaven. It could almost be considered a special gift for walking the path that God puts before us. Our actions and our words will tell God and Jesus how much love we have for them. Every little thing that we do to help others is actually a message to God about our love. We should be happy to do the work that God has put before us. It gives us a feeling of light heartedness. There is a warm fuzzy feeling in our souls. This is what should motivate us the most. We should be excited to tell Jesus what we are doing in our daily lives. There should be a pride inside of our soul that we have done our best and that we could bring honor to God with those actions.

• 1 year later...

Our salvation is a gift (grace) from God, through whom his Son Jesus, who shed his blood for our justification. Through faith we do good works, our rewards for these works is justified by God for our service to the Lord.

Christ rewards because those that are faithful servants have run the race of their faith, working for the furtherance of the gospel, helping our neighbors and any good works we perform for our Lord. This includes our brother and sisters in Christ, neighbors and to our community.

The Lord does not reward works that are done out of worldly desires that benefit neither him nor the church.

Showing accountability to our Master brings us pleasure because we are proud of the good works we have accomplished for him.

These rewards should motivate us because of the salvation he has provided for us, these works bring glory to his name.      

• 5 years later...

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20) How can we justify a desire for rewards for our labour in light of God’s free gift of salvation and our love for him? What does Christ reward? What doesn’t he reward? Why should showing accountability to our Master bring us pleasure? How does it motivate us?

By answering this question I can use the analogy of a family , and the relationship of the father and the child. Being born again, I am now a child of God. God is the Father of the family and I am a child. As I was born I was lucky to be in a family, accepted and included automatically, but growing up I had pleasure in getting verbal, or material rewards from my parents when doing the right thing that pleased them by being obedient or doing that little extra effort. I did it because I knew it would please them to see the effort, and I would not have done it if I did not love them. We do our "works" as part of the love we have from God, and the love we have for Him.

He does not reward effort , or works that are not pleasing to him, whether it is doing nothing at all or doing the wrong thing. It makes sense that good work are the one that a Holy God are looking for. 

Showing accountability brings us please because we know we are doing our part in attempting to walk the walk and not just talk the talk, and when we live out this responsibility as a Christian, we know it pleases God, and that gives us pleasure, like a child pleasing his parents. It motivates us to keep doing this , because of the promise in the Bible, each will receive his reward in heaven. 

• 1 year later...

It comes down to the word "love".  We look forward to rewards due to God's amazing love for us.   Origen, an early Church Father and preacher from Alexandria, Egypt wrote eloquently about this profound topic in his commentary on the Song of Songs.   We are beckoned to pursue the Bridegroom, our Lord Jesus Christ.

The souls won to Christ by his preaching was reward.  A crown of glory which cannot fade away.   Apostle Paul yearned so much for the Second Coming of Christ; the newly converted would be presented to Christ.

We need to have that same apostolic and evangelistic fervor that Apostle Paul.   We too feed the flock and preach the Gospel willingly and with a ready mind.   We don't vascillate nor pay heed to those who want to engender strife, and engage in useless fables and genealogies .  The souls that get converted under our ministries are our crowns of rejoicing because we regard them as trophies of the victory of the Gospel that we preached.

• 5 months later...

I don’t need to justify my desire for rewards. I hope and pray for rewards, both in this life and next. In a sense, there’s nothing I can give Him that merits a reward, but when He sees my humble and not-so-humble efforts I pray He wants to pat my head.

Though I want to hear God say, “Attagirl!” when I die, I also want to hear Him praise me now, as I’m struggling to do His will in my little life.

There is no conflict in my mind between His free gift of salvation and my desire to NOT freely give my life for nothing. Jesus fulfilled His mission on earth. The fact that He offers us salvation free does not conflict with my desire to live a big and joy-filled life, one of giving as well as taking, always on His narrow path. Suffering may be a large part of the Christian walk but there should be times of joy. I’m praying for more joy. Guiltlessly!

Christ rewards pain, sincerity, suffering, evangelistic effort, perseverance, overcoming, selflessness, loving others and loyalty to Him. When the apostles were done with a mission, they returned to Christ to tell Him all about it. I assume He rewarded them with praise.

Christ does NOT reward human achievement in the natural.

Accountability is another word for obedience. When I obey God in something difficult, I often ask Him to notice my effort. Maybe this is silly, but I want to be like the disciples, to return after an assignment and ask Jesus what He thinks. I don’t want to do things that are meaningless or empty. I want my life to count for something IN HIS EYES.