JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Persecution and Christian Maturity

Q3. (1Thessalonians 3:3-5) In what ways does persecution discourage christians from active, open service? In what ways does it mature them? In what ways does it reveals our underlying motives? Why do you think God alolows the tempter the ability to tempt us? Why hasn't he done away with Satan already?

It discourage them sometimes because they dont want to hear what has to be said or they just dont want no one to know what is really going on in their lives. However it can mature them in ways that they will do better. Some even understand their wrong while others want except their wrong. It really shows us ourselves.

I feel God allows this to happen so that we will know right from wrong. The reason God has not gotten away with the devil because the things he uses against us helps to grow. It helps us to call on God even the more, however if we never have circustanes we probably would not call on God or change.

• 2 weeks later...

Persecution discourages Christians from active,open service by making them fearful to share their faith or to identify themselves as part of the body of Christ.

Persecution also helps mature Christians by helping them to learn how to stand strong in their faith.

Persecution helps us reveal our underlying motives by showing us how we will react. Do we boldly proclaim our identity in Christ despite the risk of physical harm or at least riducule? Or do we deny our faith or at least downplay its importance in our lives?

God allows Satan the ability to tempt us so that we can learn how to resist his intices,thus enabling us to mature in our faith.

God hasn't done away with Satan yet, because He is still part of God's plan. When God is done with using Satan, the devil will then be thrown into the Lake of Fire along with anti-christ and the false prophet.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 3:3-5) In what ways does persecution discourage Christians from active, open service? In what ways does it mature them? In what ways does it reveal our underlying motives? Why do you think God allows the tempter the ability to tempt us? Why hasn’t he done away with Satan already?

Persecution usually means suffering. Sometimes it is easier said than done. Persecution and suffering mature us in ways that ease cannot. It grows us in the faith. The tempter still tempts us. Why? Well maybe because he is still running around and he is our enemy and God is allowing it. It does show what is our heart.

God will lock Satan up in HIs time. He has a plan. Let Satan do His worst. He is no match for our Lord.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 1 month later...

The way that persecution discourages Christians from active open service is that they feel intimidated and we don’t like that. When that happens we start being more closed about our religion. It can mature them because when they get use to that intimidation then they will go ahead and talk about their Jesus.

If we stop taking to others about Jesus because of the persecution then maybe we didn’t have our hearts in the right place. God allows tempters the ability to tempt us so that we will grow in our belief. He will do away with Satan when the time comes it just hasn’t come yet.

• 2 weeks later...

In what ways does persecution discourage Christians from active, open service?

Persecution may cause fear among Christians and they become most vulnerable. They may refrain from active service to avoid persecution. They may also prefer to ' fly under the radar' to avoid detection and persecution. This would mostly affect the unsettled Christians who may not be strong enough to face persecution

In what ways does it mature them?

Persecution strengthens their resolve to follow Christ and thus they mature in faith an understanding. They have already been forewarned that persecution is for real. So they would have been prepared to face persecution and are able to face it. As they go through the can experience Christ in their lives and this will mature them

In what ways does it reveal our underlying motives?

Persecution is test that separates the sheep from the goats. Those who face persecution and remain strong in their faith reveal that we are living for Christ. Those who abandon Christ at this time show that they are after their own lives.

Why do you think God allows the tempter the ability to tempt us? Why hasn’t he done away with Satan already?

I believe God allows the tempter to tempt us in order to test and build our christian character. It gives us an opportunity to show our commitment to abide in Christ

Satan hasn't been done away with because the time has not arrived. God has numbered his days and it will be done at the appointed time.

Some ways people are discouraged through persecution is giving a bad name to others, and in some countries burn down the church, beat Christians, even kill Christians. It matures them through getting to see Christ if they stand stead fast to their faith no matter what. God allows us to be tempted in order to grow stronger in our faith. No man knows the time, but, when God is ready he will be destroyed.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 3:3-5) In what ways does persecution discourage Christians from active, open service? In what ways does it mature them? In what ways does it reveal our underlying motives? Why do you think God allows the tempter the ability to tempt us? Why hasn’t he done away with Satan already?          

Persecution discourages Christians in many ways from the young to mature people in Christ. It holds the promises of nothing good to come personally to you. In small ways it is accusations of who you were all the way to imprisionment, physical and mental torture and/or execution. Wherever you live and preach his Word or begin to llive in a new life transformation apparent to others you will bring persercution to yourself. We all face it and we grow when we face our fears and why the fears are rooted in us. What are we afraid of or what do we fear loosing? This shows us the things in our hearts that are not given over to Christ yet for His healing and empowerment in our lives. Satan is used to grow us by attacking our weaknesses. In this we can face ourselves and repent so that real Godly change can come. God does not do away with what he creates and in Satan God still uses him for His heavenly purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

(1 Thessalonians 3:3-5) In what ways does persecution discourage Christians from active, open service? In what ways does it mature them? In what ways does it reveal our underlying motives? Why do you think God allows the tempter the ability to tempt us? Why hasn’t he done away with Satan already?

We as Christains do not like being labeled as fanatics, made fun of or even saying we are narrow in our thinking, so we resist in being active and open i witnessing.  Oh we may be active in our church where we are like-minded with other believers, but without that support, it becomes more difficult.  However, being questioned about our faith from non-believers forces us to re-examine our own faith.  Am I believing based on what my parents or pastor has said or is this what I really believe from the bible and where is it in the bible that gives evidence of what I do believe.  It forces us to mature in our faith.  Unfortunately, I have seen many nominal christains follow cultic practices because they doubt their beliefs.  I believe God does allow the tempter to tempt us so we do become more mature in our faith.  

Persecution might discourage those Christians whose faith is not strong. It might seem like (to them) that the Christian journey is just too hard and not worth the struggle. So, they do their good service behind closed doors where only God can see.

It matures them by allowing their services to be turned into blessings beyond measure for them.

It shows whether their underlying motives are about God and what He wants or a way of getting what they want for themselves. It shows what they are truly made of.

With every temptation, we are given a decision whether to do right or wrong. It's God's way of testing us.

Satan's time has not come yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

persecution discourages Christians because we fear pain and suffering. We do not take as our model the suffering servant of Isaiah and the example of Jesus . we do not mind the words of Jesus that we will  be persecuted. [If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.(John 15.20)] 

We are matured by persecution because it makes us more like Jesus.

If we have hidden motives they will make us recant upon our faith.

He allowed the tempter to test Jesus.

God's will is unknown for he is the unknown God.

• 6 months later...

Some Christians are afraid to face opposition. They find that it is easier to stay with the status quo. They refuse to step out of their comfort zone. Persecution can cause a person to grow up faster. It is a challenge that must be faced with little to no preparation. You must be willing to defend your thoughts, beliefs and actions to the very end. This type of challenge will show exactly what a person is made of. Their true colors will come through. It will show where their heart and soul really are.

God has given each of us a free will. He does not dictate our actions and our thoughts or even our beliefs. There has to be a reason for us to follow him and to love him. God does not want puppets. He want people to love him because they truly do love him. There has to be opposition for us to succeed. We have to be able to show ourselves what drives us. We cannot be blind followers of anything and that goes for God.

• 1 year later...

Persecution often discourages Christians from active service because they know there will be those who oppose Christianity and will cause a disruption of witnessing.

This persecution, if Christians endure it, will strengthen and embolden them to continue witnessing. just as a soldier is trained for battle they become more skilled in opposing the enemy.

This persecution reveals our underlying motives to bring the gospel to those who are in spiritual darkness.

God allows the "tempter" to tempt us because it helps us to rely more on the power of God's spirit and in turn helps us reject temptation.

God allows Satan to tempt us because it hardens us against his temptations and also allows God to work around Satan's plans of deception.  

• 5 years later...

Fear of rejection, punishment, harm, isolation, and even death in some places makes Christians shy away from being active , and doing discipleship openly. By still confessing your faith and doing your work as a disciple of Christ despite these fears, makes you rise above these fears through courage and strength , and trust in God, and this further grows your relationship and maturity as a Christian. I suppose it reveals our underlying motives if we persist despite the challenges , for we are doing it to please Jesus, and not to impress others.

God has given us the ability to choose freely in this life. Good or evil. He finds his children will choose good and they will be the ones that love Him and want to be with Him. He does not force anybody against their will to be or do what they do not want. Why would you have a child cry and kick and scream if you force it to do something that he DOES NOT WANT TO DO. You would love your house to be full of kids that want to do what pleases you and show their love every day by choosing the right options. Yes why has God not done away with Satan yet? Why do we need to choose between good and evil, why not choose between good and better? It is written how it will happen and we are here to trust Gods plan to the last minute.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

They loose heart quickly.   Their interior motives come to light when trials, persecutions and sufferings come along.  When they take 1 PETER 2:9 seriously, things will get rough.   Pressure from their families, neighbors and even from "church congregation" or "deacon board" will discourage the man or woman of God from fulfilling their ministries.

School of the Holy Spirit educates us slowly at times.   It took 40 years in the desert for Moses to be refined and made ready for his prophetic call.  During our seasons of trial and mysterious events; we draw nearer to God.   God knows that the inworking of grace must do outworking; our characters need REFORMATION.

No unconditional grace.  God is under obligation to saints only when they walk in the light and remain true to the Gospel.  Grace teaches men to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts and to live soberly here and now.

• 5 months later...

Persecution is just horrible. It kept me up at night wondering where God was and why He hadn't rescued or delivered me. It was a faith inhibitor as well as a faith enhancer. In the midst of persecution, I found it too easy to focus on myself instead of others; in this way, persecution discouraged "active open service."

But ... it also matures me. Nothing looks the same on the other side of intense persecution. I know, personally, that at the beginning I was absolutely devastated, vomiting at night, walking around with a tight stomach and praying endlessly to be delivered. When I wasn't delivered, I was angry at God. I felt abandoned in my moment of need. Yet, I hung on. My faith actually grew, though I didn't realize it, through the persecution. I grew through digging deeper, begging and cajoling God, making deals with Him (of a sort), seeking answers and ferreting out my own sins that were lurking just below the surface. Slowly, God began to deliver and vindicate me.

It's not over yet.

I don't know why God chooses to mature his children this way. It's borderline cruel, yet, it works. My hunch is that God has no other way of getting us to the next level except with persecution and suffering. The difference between them is that persecution is public and involves another person/government and suffering is more private such as poor health or an abusive marriage. 

Perhaps -- and I don't know yet personally -- God allows some of his children to be severely persecuted because He intends to use them in a more open way. He's prepping them for what He's about to put them into which could include the jabs and jeers and bigotry of secularists.

Those of us who have been "liked" most of our lives find it incredibly difficult to be persecuted, yet this persecution hardens and toughens us for the assignments He has yet to give. It teaches us what putting on the armor is really about. It brings us to our knees in prayers. It causes us to think about angelic armies and the warring spirit. That's the the marker of persecution's finale, by the way -- a warring, fighting spirit, a spirit victorious in Him, a spirit that can't be cowed or belittled by powerful forces in the government or powerful evil people.

In this coming age, Christians WILL be persecuted. The time of apathy and ease is over. Not all of us will be persecuted, but those of us for whom God has future assignments that may involve the need for this sort of strength, and those who have the God-given strength to speak out.