JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

When we conduct out lives by rules be are restricted and bound by the law - as in the Old Testament. We also fail miserably as did the Israelites. We may start out well, our intentions honourable, but we are weak and fail when doing things in our own strength. When we condutct our lives in a manner pleasing God, we operate on a totally different level. We are filled and motivated by our love for the Lord and His for us. Love is all powerful and comes not from ourselves but from the Lord, and the Holy Spirit empowers us to do things and be the people of God - to be a holy people, things that we cannot do ourselves no matter how sincere nor how hard we try. There is nothing, absolutley nothing stronger than love.

When I thought about this question applying to my life, I realise that if I operate in "rule keeping mode" (which is a habit so easy to fall into as it is a secular way of operating) that any evangelism I try will crash and fall. Maybe that is why so many unbelievers think of Christianity as "thou shalt not's" because too many of us believers operate still in the "rule keeping" mode!

On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

By the authority of Jesus Christ!

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

The Old Testament is full of rules and Jesus Christ came to earth to break the rules and show us love. Love is the strongest for if we follow rules even the believers will break them and fall away but with love rules lose their power. Paul.brings us love from Jesus.

Therefore, there in now condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set me free from the law of sin and death. (Rom8:1-2)

Christ has offered his life as a sacrifice for us and redeemed us from the curse of the law. Now we no longer live by rules but because lives in us we live our lives led by His Holy Spirit.

when we live by rules rather than the love of Christ in us life becomes difficult to live. There is no real joy in living if we follow the rules. when we love Christ we will try to live a life pleasing to God and through the leading of His gentle Holy Spirit we are able to give our fullest to the Lord and also live our lives joyfully surrendering to Him because his love for us and our love for Him helps us live our lives pleasing Him.

Love is stronger than rule keeping. Paul brings these commands by the authority of Lord Jesus Christ.

What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

1. When we conduct our lives by rules, we set our own standards or adapt to the standards of the world. Conducting our lives trying to please God is just that. When we know and love God, our desire is to please Him in all we do.

Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love?

2. Love is stronger

3. Paul has the authority of Jesus Christ

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

The difference between conducting our lives by rules and conducting our lies trying to please our God is in what do we believe in or trust more? If we are trying to please man we will live by rules. If we are living or conducting our lives to please God we will live our lives according to His will, His way, and His Word.

Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love?

Rule-keeping is easier, because I can pat myself on my back and say I have done this, this, and this. But, when I strive to live my life in the love of God, it is His power that enables me to do what is right and holy. In other words, I will not break the rules of man, and live my life to please God, because I am allowing Him to lead, guide, and direct my whole life, body, soul, and mind.

Paul brings these commands on the authority of God.

The difference between 1] conducting our lives by rules and 2] conducting our lives trying to please God is, the first is done out of duty or obligation,

while the 2nd is done out of our love for the Lord.

I believe love is stronger than rule keeping because,we know that even when we fail God still loves us.

Paul brings these commands on the authority of the Lord Jesus.

• 1 month later...

We know that conducting our lives according to rules is that there aren’t enough rules in order to have a moral community. Just look at us today, we have a lot of rules but our morals are in the gutter. Now if we conduct our lives trying to please God then we can look into the Bible and see what pleases God and we don’t need all the rules and regulation because we are doing it in love. Therefore love is stronger than rule-keeping.

Paul brings these commands with God’s authority.

What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

Conducting our lives by rules mean that we strictly adhere to the rules and laws so as to avoid its negative consequences. It is done more out of fear than of love. Living to please God on the other hand emphasises God's love and our love for God. It is based on faith and love and is  voluntarily

Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? Love is of course builds a stronger relationship

On Christ's authority

• 2 weeks later...

Conducting our lives by rules are man made. Conducting our lives trying to please God is done out of love for our creator, who holds our lives in His hand. Love for God is much stronger because it is from the heart. Paul brings these commands not from his own words but from the word of God

Conducting our lives by rules are man made. Conducting our lives trying to please God is done out of love for our creator, who holds our lives in His hand. Love for God is much stronger because it is from the heart. Paul brings these commands not from his own words but from the word of God

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3 Thessalonians

I think one way is relational and the other isn't. We may keep rules for all kinds of reasons, to earn favour, keep the peace, to feel self righteous....but to live in a way that pleases God is relational, it is done out of a loving heart of gratitude "those who love Me will keep My word" John 14.

From outside observation two lives may look very similar- but God sees whether someone is obeying Christ out of some slavish fear in order to impress God and procure His approval or whether someone is obeying Jesus because they love Him and are grateful for His love.

Paul as an Apostle brings instruction from Jesus, as one of the Apostles he is unique (they had a special role in giving the teaching of Jesus we have now contained in the NT, see John 14, Eph 3:8-9, acts 2:42 re the apostles teaching, and bringing the word of the Lord 1 Thes 2:13 etc) he is one who is sent and one who can bring instruction in the authority of Jesus

of course we can in a secondary sense but Paul and the other Apostles had a unique role (see 2 Pet 3)

Galatians 1:11-12 NIV

[11] I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. [12] I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:1-2 NIV

[1] As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. [2] For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

(1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

Living by rules requires discipline and moral ethics of personal behavior in any setting. Conducting our lives by love and pleasing God in what we do because that is the way He said it should be and is good for us, then it becomes a joy when we do this.  It is easier to conduct ourselves by rules if it is done out of love for God. This is a great witness to others as well.

• 3 weeks later...

If we live by rules, that's it---we won't do anything to break the rules. If we are trying to please God, we live our lives according to what God wants. If we live by what God wants, we won't have to worry about breaking the rules.

Living a God-pleasing life is stronger. Love is stronger than rule-keeping.

Paul is speaking on the authority of God.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands? 

Conducting our lives by rules is following certain rules such as the ten commandments, the Roman law, the Napoleon Code or by the cultural mores of a society corrupted by scientific methods. Living by pleasing God is to live by the great Commandment- love the Lord your God and your neighbour as your self. This latter means that we are to act in love and in gratitude for God's abundance grace. If the latter is acted upon in true love than it is stronger. Paul brings these commandments from God through Jesus and by the Holy spirit.

• 6 months later...

To live our lives by rules is to live in a heartless, thoughtless way. We do not have to think or feel about our actions. We do not have to think about how our actions will affect others. But to lie our lives for God, we have to think and feel but most of all, we get the chance to love and be loved. Paul is speaking with the authority of Christ Jesus.

• 1 year later...

The difference of conducting our lives by rules that are man made or God's rules is the following: obeying man mad rules is just that. We will never achieve following Christ or gain heaven by these rules. They man's idea of pleasing God. Conducting one's life to please Christ is showing the love we have for him. We honor and obey Christ because he ha paid the price of our salvation. Through our faith and love for him we live our lives as he has modeled for us and his commands for life.

Paul explains his authority in Christ for the basic instructions of living for Christ. Paul uses these instructions given to the Thessalonians for pleasing God in their lives. 

• 5 years later...

LOVE! That is the difference. We want to stick to the rules out of love for God. Just having rules and no loving relationship with the one that makes the rules , will make it an unpleasant, almost impossible task to want to stick to the rules. Love is the stronger one, because you want to please, by obeying, and not just keeping rules because you were told to.

Paul writes this by the authority of God and the stern reminders of the "how to live", clearly comes from the Holy Spirit putting these commands in Pauls heart.

• 1 year later...

We walk in holiness because of the love of God.   We want to walk in holiness due to the fact that we are conscious that we have been foreordained before the foundations of the world.   Yes, we have rules to go by; however, we focus on the love that has for us.   St.Augustine used to stress this theme in his writings.   Love of God just transformed his stoney heart, and delivered him from Manicheanism and immoral behaviour.   St Mary of Egypt is another great example how the love of God transformed a prostitute into a saint.

Mere following of rules for holy living can be a chore.   Without the love of God in one's heart, and the grace of the Holy Spirit; we cannot confirm to the Sermon on the Mount.  Many people are stuck in Romans 7: they don't know the victory of Romans 8:1 and Acts 2....cannot forget 1 PETER 2:9!

• 5 months later...

My elderly father, an old Puritan, does not believe in God but lives, however, according to a very stringent Christian ethic or behavior. He's a moral man, that is. His life has all the heaviness of "living-Christianly" without any joy; without faith, ethical behavior is tedious and repetitive. 

My father lives by rules. His entire life is defined by do's and don'ts. Rule-keeping, for him, is a very strong motivator. His entire life has been patterned and ritualized from what he wears to the sequence of how he eats. He charts his life on graph paper to make sure he's keeping on the straight-and-narrow. It's too bad we're not Jews for he'd make a fantastic Pharisee! He's dying now. On hospice. In spite of his certain and near death, he keeps up the rules and neglects God. It's tragic. He's an old, rigid man.

--

I try to live my life differently, in part out of rebellion. Father believes I overly question authority and rules, that I should simply "submit to what is right." He has a point, but I still think that living to please God is a superior motivator than coloring between the lines.

There are times when I wonder if I'm really living to please God. What does it look like, that perfect life of pleasing God? Should all thoughts of Him? What about the straggling thoughts, those of the weather and what to wear, the content of books and needs of others? Does this please God?

Pleasing God sounds like an easy goal, but it's a moving target and hard to figure out ... in my wee life, anyway.

--

Paul speaks with authority because he's clearly the man in charge. God has put him in a position of authority. I do not think he speaks FOR God, but as Paul, the man, he still has authority within the church.