JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Respect for Church Leaders

in a congregation like this there will be strife, division discouragement, no growth and there will be no love

when the disrepectfull shows their disrepect it makes the church unheathy

getting rid of the leader is not the answer but helping the leader to understand the truth of the bible concerning his actions

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don’t show respect for their leaders? What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect? Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here?

If disrespected leaders fall into question by the community of believers and the mission of the church of God is dishonored. The church begins to erode. Getting rid of the leader doesn't fix the problem for it goes more deeply than that/

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don’t show respect for their leaders? What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect? Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here?

Not showing respect creates confusion, mistrust, anger, and a blocking of church growth spiritually, which definitely impacts growth in all areas. The spread of disrespect festers like a rotten apple in a bushel, contaminating everything. The mis-interaction can destroy the church and its ministries. Who wants to fight in church and out of church. We attend church for healing, restoration, to hear the word, and to come together as a faith community. When lines of communication, respect, and love are shattered, it is tough, if not impossible, to restore what has been lost. Getting rid of the leader is not the panace some think it is. The real reason for the discord has to be ferreted out and impacted by like minded church members looking for resolution.

• 1 month later...

What happens in a congregation when people don’t show respect for their leaders?

When the congregation don't show respect for their leaders they will not trust or support the leaders' plans and aspirations. They (the leaders) will have no say in determining the direction the church growth should take. It thus will affect the spiritual and physical growth of the church.The congregation loses out.

What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect?

There will be disunity and will give rise to factions, with  each faction trying to grab the leadership and chaos will result. Some members may decide to leave when the church climate is unhealthy.

Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here?

Well it all depends on who the source of the problem is, the congregation or the leaders. A change of leadership may help if the leaders are the source of the problem. Having said that it may not be the solution as there could be something deeper. Maybe it would be better, as Paul suggests, that we go into negotiation and consultation to iron out the differences and reach an amicable solution

The thing that happens when a congregation doesn’t show respect for their leaders is that there is disarray and the word of God is neither preached nor is it understood. Then there will be fighting in the church and getting rid of the leader won’t fix the problem because of the deeper emotions that are going on.

• 2 weeks later...

If people in the congregation doesn't show respect to leadership it spreads throughout the entire church and this makes discord and unhealthiness within the church. Many times it's not the leader of the church but others within the church giving the leader a bad reputation. If it is the leader that is causing unhealthiness within the church, the leader needs to be warned regarding their actions and the seriousness of the results.

When people do not show respect for their leaders the congregation will weaken and evventuallybreakup.  Too many "want to be leaders" will emerge and pull the people into many directions, like lost sheep.  When the disrespectful spread their disrespect, if nothing is done to bring correction, it will contaminate the congregation as fast as leaven will spread in flour.  Getting the leader to fix the problem, with the people recognizing the error of trheir ways, admitting and turning away from their error could eventually bring harmony.

• 1 month later...

When you undermine a God given authority or position you undermine God's order in this. Whether the person is right or wrong for the position given by God to the church that person must be respected. Disrespect and rebellion cause a serious matter of spiritual unrest which also affects people physically. We must continue with love and respect toward each other as God would have us do and especially for those who labor so hard in their positions for the sake of our souls. Disrespect can come from a source of many different issues in the church. Some are never happy and some want to take the position for themselves. Others like to compete for popularity and grab a following for themselves. All this comes from a base of ungodliness in those people. It is destructive in nature for themselves and others.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don't show respect for their leaders? What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect? Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here?

The church start to have divisions and take up sides when some in the congregation feel that it is "their church" and this leader or leaders are taking the church in a wrong direction.  If they can get rid of these leader(s) then everything wuld go back the way they like it.  It reminds me of Moses leading Isreal out of Egypt.  

• 2 weeks later...

When others show a lack of respect whether it's for a leader or someone older than them, it shows their upbringing (or lack thereof), that they don't care, they don't know know the Bible, and just how mature they really are. When their disrespect spreads to others, members may leave that church, the children in the church learn from the disrespectful, discord amongst the members of the church will flare up, andthe leader may leave. Getting rid of the leader will not fix the problem, bbecause the problem lies much deeper and will have to be found to correct the problem.

• 1 year later...

1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don't show respect for their leaders

When people do not show respect for their leaders their comes a breakdown in leadership and thus a poor attitude in the church. This leads to poorer work for god. They labour amongst us-we must work with them not against them. SOME think that minister do not work when they are not preaching.

Our pastors are in charge. Some do not like to be told they have all the good ideas and work against the minister and undemine the minister. Often these do not like to be told and want go go their own way. This is disrupting.

Spreading disruption leads to morel disruption and finally to anarchy.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don’t show respect for their leaders? What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect?

Dr. Ralph writes "In many churches, unfortunately, you sense a kind of spiritual pride in their own righteousness, and a condescending attitude towards those who are not as spiritual, or even outright secular. Our attitude reflects rather accurately how well we've matured in incorporating agapē love into our church life. This spiritual pride in our  own righteousness not only separates us from God and Jesus but also from our neighbours- those who sit in the pews of our church with us. People become dismissive of others and cannot properly see the sawdust in the neighbours eye for the plank that is in their own eye. 

Many have this 'holier than thou' attitude towards the leader as well.

Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here?

Getting rid of the leader may not solve the underlying problem. what needs to be fixed is our attitude towards each other, our leader, and our God. WE must as Paul writes " Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else." (5:15) and as he also writes in Romans  17.12-21. We must be compassionate, understanding and forgiving.  Jesus was very clear that his followers must be forgiving (Matthew 6:12, 14-15; 18:23-35). People who must pay back every hurt are miserable, selfish, vengeful wrecks, not healthy Christians who take their cues from Christ himself. (notes)

• 6 months later...

I feel that when people disrespect their leaders, they are causing tension and hard feelings within the congregation. They are causing people to take sides with them or against them. They cause people to begin to question their effectiveness as leaders. This is especially true with elders that are in conflict with the pastor. I believe that this kind of problem goes deeper that just removing the leader. You are actually dealing with evil and worldly ways. There are egos and power plays that are affecting how the whole congregation relates to each other. I do not feel that there is a positive prayer life within these walls that house this congregation.

• 1 year later...

If  congregation or person does not respect leader, the congregation will become disobedient and disrespect will result. The leader will no longer be able to teach, preach or edify others.

As those filled with disrespect continue to spread their personal opinion, eventually the whole congregation will diminish in number and lose all respect for thir church and community.

Getting rid of a leader will not rectify what is going on in the congregation. Only a few spreading their disrespect and gossip can tear down a whole church if they are not stopped. These people should be admonished and in some cases may have to be disciplined. Now if the leader is in deed at fault then the church elders or council should remedy the problem.  

• 1 year later...

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13) What happens in a congregation when people don't show respect for their leaders? It causes rebellion. They speak ill of a leader behind his back and may act disrespectfully to his face. They covet the power for themselves such they speak ill of a leader.

Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here? Getting rid of the leader does not fix any problem.

• 4 years later...

When a congregation shows disrespect for their leader it results in a breakdown in the unity of a congregation and community. If the leader is a faithful servant of God and not someone who talks the talk and not walk the walk, then it is very sad and unhealthy and sinful to disrespect the leader. Such a church will have small factions and clicks that all caused an unwelcome, unloving, and spiritually unhealthy environment to be in , especially where you need to feel the opposite in serving and worshipping God, and having fellowship with fellow Christians. 

No , if the leader is not the real problem but the individuals who have an agenda against the leader, it will not fix the problem. It is to be found in all areas of life where people come together, at work, clubs, sport, church etc. there will be some that want to have it their way, and if they don't, or they do not agree to something, it leads to a breakdown in relationships and fractionalisation. Sadly it points to the self, being more important, and more sadly not showing the loving spirit that we would like to see in fellow Christians. We have a duty as members of the church of Christ, to point out these flaws in attitude, and behaviour to these people, after all , do we want their approval , or the approval of Jesus when it comes to matters in His church.

• 1 year later...

The mission of the local church collapses; it's evangelistic mission gets compromised.  The pastor could be good as gold; but if the people persist in rebellion against a godly pastor, more problems will ensure.

Many times, when there was lack of respect for those shepherds; these shepherds were not esteemed exceedingly abundantly.  St Paul knew how crucial it was for the Apostles, prophets,teachers, pastors and the Ministerial staff to be respected and loved for their work's sake. 

Disrespect will just spread.  Endless problems.   St Paul knew how crucial it was that there would be agape love present in the local church.   1 Corinthians 13 would be the glue that would hold many congregations together during times of persecutions.   Without that type of charity, many new Christians would backslide or just join another cult among the numerous Mystery religions current in Macedonia.

A mere replacement is not quick solution unless the congregation and the board of Elders/Presbyters are humble enough to take on a "servant" attitude.    Having a holy awe of God is extremely important; the things of God are very sacred.   To repeat the sins of Korah can spell disaster for a church or ministry.    

At times, sadly-a pastor or pastoral team needs to be replaced due to issues of heterodox doctrines, immoral behaviours or just deep problems of matching a congregation with a particular pastor, or a pastoral team/music leader with a different congregation from a different cultural or demographic background.

• 5 months later...

I'm out of synch on this forum. I'm going to write frankly for those in church leadership who may benefit from hearing the perspective of a church member who doesn't respect the pastor.

I attend a church with a spiritually weak pastor who has been hanging onto the pulpit solely because he wants to beef up his retirement package. During COVID, he was awol for more than a year so the church split into three factions: two of the factions have gone off to form new churches both of which are thriving, the third remains with the old pastor at the old location. As this is the only established church of my denomination in my city, I have continued to attend even after taking a year off and/or abroad during which time I tried a different church.

When I returned to "my" church, nothing had improved during that year except that the pastor had strategically removed people from the vestry to stack it with people of his faction. He even went as far as to ordain two new leaders who are completely loyal to him. It was possible to do this because our bishop is in Africa and doesn't know what's going on - I am conservative Anglican. Now, I love the Anglican denomination, it's glorious and wonderful history, theology and liturgy. I love having communion every Sunday. I love the predictability of Sunday worship and find the liturgy a treasure trove of knowledge that I can explore deeply every worship service.

BUT ... last Sunday I threw in the towel. It had become a dreaded chore to attend. A heavy duty. I always left as soon as the service was over, frustrated and sad. Thankfully, I've been fed, spiritually, by a non-denominational women's group that meets during the week. It's not church, but a close substitute. And this, folks, is the problem. If church-like groups adequately substitute for a spiritually suffocating, traditional church, eventually the need for that "real" church disappears. Since the fellowship I have with the ladies is far deeper and loyal than any relationship I have at the church, the desire for church fellowship quickly disappeared.

I have been praying for revival, that a new pastor comes with spiritual vitality, but I know that after the old pastor leaves, he's put into position a phalanx of supporters who will block all new ideas and spiritual growth. I truly pity the person who walks into that hornet's nest.

With this as deep background, let me answer Pastor Ralph's questions:

1. What happens in a congregation when people don’t show respect for their leaders? Well, I'm one of those people, since I do not respect the pastor. His sermons are mere commentary on social problems, rarely deep or meaningful, so I have never received any spiritual insight or help anyway. So, to be specific, what happens when people like me quietly leave without saying anything to anyone? Nothing happens. A few people will notice and send me text messages, perhaps, but otherwise, the church will hobble on. (I did try to talk to the vestry with guarded language. So, I have done what I can do.)
  2. What happens when the disrespectful spread their disrespect? You've made an errant assumption that I'll gossip. I will not. No one knows I've decided to leave. My disrespect for the pastor is known only to me and to people on this site reading this who don't know who I am. Sometimes, we vote with our little cat feet, silently and without notice.
  3. Will getting rid of the leader fix the problem, or is there something deeper going on here? I think I've answered this question.