JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Living in Babylon

Q4. (18:4) We Christians are instructed to be "in the world" but not "of the world" (John 17:15-19). One interpretation has been to be hermits, ascetics, to distance ourselves from the political process, and to adopt stringent dress and behavior codes. Another interpretation is to be "salt and light" (Matthew 5:13-16) in the world so that we might bring about cleansing and change through God's spirit. Where do you think the balance lies?

I think it means to live our lives to the Glory of God. Worship Him and not things of this world, such as money, possessions and fame. Keep our focus where it belongs, on Him and Him alone.

How and when should we fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...."?

Do not let those who reject Jesus and live

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are to be here and let Christ shine through us. We have to be "In the world" since we live here, but not "of the world". We need to separate ourselves from worldly ways. Not by being "hermits" but by living the life that God wants us to live. If we distance ourselves to the point of being "hermits" who will see us and see Jesus through us? I think we are to fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...." as soon as we became Christians.

• 1 month later...
Q4. (18:4) We Christians are instructed to be "in the world" but not "of the world" (John 17:15-19). One interpretation has been to be hermits, ascetics, to distance ourselves from the political process, and to adopt stringent dress and behavior codes. Another interpretation is to be "salt and light" (Matthew 5:13-16) in the world so that we might bring about cleansing and change through God's spirit. Where do you think the balance lies? How and when should we fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...."?

The balance is in our personal relationship with God. Coming out of her happens when we receive Christ as Lord & Savior.

• 1 month later...

Jesus speaking, John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept them, and none of them is lost, (but the son of perdition); that the scripture might be fulfilled. (13) And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. (14) I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. (15) I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from evil. (16) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. (17) Sanctify them through the truth: thy word is truth. (18) As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I sent them into the world. (19) And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. (While Jesus was here in the world, he remained spotless, and at the same time, he taught God's word, in order for us to understand that "if" we follow the truth we can live here and be free from the bondages of this world).

Being a "hermit" means - one who lives in solitude: recluse, solitudinarian, troglodyte, solitary (this does not describe Jesus) On the other hand , John the Baptist was called a "hermit", because he was banished to the Patmos Island, where he wrote the "Book of Revelation".

An (ascetic) is one who practices a renunciation of worldy pursuits to achieve spiritual attainment.

(Asceticism in Eastern Christianity) is the set of disciplines practiced to work out the believer's salvation, and further the believer's repentance. Although monks and nuns are known for especially strict acts of asceticism, some asceticism is expected of every believer, for the good of that believer. Ultimately, it is believed, salvation comes only by the grace of God, but God's grace and right belief are expected to produce changes in behaviour. Changes in behaviour can also influence beliefs. Asceticism can include anything from taking part in prayers with the church, fasting, almsgiving, or even working hard not to lose one's temper or similar acts of restraint and self-control. Corporate prayers are generally prayed as a "lithurgy", which literally means a "work of the people". (This does not describe Jesus).

Matthew 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? (31) Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (32) (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. Mark1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jersusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins. (6) And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey; (7) And he preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. ( John looked like a wild man; he even ate locust), Jesus didn't say, "John you have to go change your clothes before I let you baptize me".

Being the "salt and the light", should be no problem "if" christians today, (Ezekial 44:23) And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to (discern) between the unclean and the clean. (24) And in controversy they shall stand in judgment; and they shall judge it according to my judgments: and they shall keep my laws and my statues in all mine assemblies; and they shall hallow my sabbaths. (Jesus is our Sabbath) So, therefore; (Matthew 5:13) Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thence forth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.(14) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. (15) Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house (16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. People who have christ in them have a glow about themselves. You can't help from noticing it. And when they speak you can hearand feel the love in their hearts. They speak bodly, they don't speakwith fearin their voice about Jesus. They shine like a light, they brighten you up with the spirit of Jesus flowing from them.

The way we come out of Babylon is:

Rev. 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and REPENT, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou REPENT. (16) REPENT; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with sword of my mouth. (21) And I gave her space to REPENT of her fornication; and she repented not. (22) Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they REPENT of their deeds. (3:3) Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and REPENT. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. REPENT!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Q4. (18:4) We Christians are instructed to be "in the world" but not "of the world" (John 17:15-19). One interpretation has been to be hermits, ascetics, to distance ourselves from the political process, and to adopt stringent dress and behavior codes. Another interpretation is to be "salt and light" (Matthew 5:13-16) in the world so that we might bring about cleansing and change through God's spirit. Where do you think the balance lies?

Jesus and even the Buddha found asceticism to be unecessary. It's hard to do good deeds and works for others if you're living in a cave somewhere. I think the balance should tip farther toward the salt and light analogy in Matthew. There's a prayer that I say every day that probably comes from scripture somewhere, but I learned through a 12 step program. It is referred to as the 3rd step prayer. The 3rd step in a recovery program is "We made a decision to turn our will and our life over to the care of God as we understood him"

The 3rd step prayer is: "God, I offer myself to you - to build me and do with me as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of your power, your love, and The Way of life. May I do your will always!"

If we are giving our will to God, then we are not "of the world", and yet we are still "in the world" as living examples of the grace of God.

How and when should we fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...."?

Now, and every day. If you abandon self-will to the best of your ability, and turn it over, you are fulfilling this as much as we can while still in mortal existence.

• 4 months later...

In trying to keep away from the evil system, we can make sure that people are more important than products; we can keep from pride in our own programs, plans, and successes; we can keep in mind that God's will and Word must never be compromised; we can remember that people are more important than money; we can do what's right...no matter what the cost; we can try to find a job that provides worthwhile products and services..not just things that feeds the world's desires.

I sure do have a lot to work on!

• 2 months later...

Q4. (18:4) We Christians are instructed to be "in the world" but not "of the world" (John 17:15-19). One interpretation has been to be hermits, ascetics, to distance ourselves from the political process, and to adopt stringent dress and behavior codes. Another interpretation is to be "salt and light" (Matthew 5:13-16) in the world so that we might bring about cleansing and change through God's spirit. Where do you think the balance lies? How and when should we fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...."?

Through walking in faith - we live in the world but we are not of this world. We are separated and whole, completed through the love of our Father and the sacrifice of Jesus. The ways of this world cannot corrupt us for we see with our spiritual eyes what is truly happening and we realize it is the work of the enemy and those who live of this world. We become forgiving for we wrestle not with flesh but with principalities in high places. We know who our enemy truly is and it is not the rudness of the person who is rude to us, but the enemy of this world who dwells within that person who is constantly trying to get us off the throne of victory and into the world where there is anger, etc.

We are called to love one another. Jesus gave us two commandments: love the Father with all you mind, heart, body, and soul; and to love your neighbor as yourself. To do anything else, is to live of this world.

We must constantly focus on Christ and His love - not what is happening in this world. It is not to say that we cannot fight for what is righteous, it means we fight with the courage and conviction of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us and it is no longer our fight, but the Lords and we cannot lose - the victory has already been won.

The confusion begins when people begin to worship world systems such as certain politicians, forms of governments, economic systems, etc. They don't even know they are doing it - the bible says to pray for our leaders - you cannot always know who is leading who -

• 3 weeks later...

To be " in the world" we are to live and servive by witnessing for Christ.

To be " not of the world " we are to live by the commandments of God and nothing else.

We should fulfil the comand everyday of our lives by leaving when people are crude. We do not have to particapate in the things they do. By staying we start to think and act as they do.

• 6 months later...

There's no easy answer - my thoughts are to let the Holy Spirit guide me to strike a healthy balance.

I think the command "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins" can be taken literally. We are close to Armageddon and Christ is telling us to leave the harlot's city for our own safety. He also wants us to leave so that we are not tempted to sin and be involved in all the extremeties of evil that are occuring at this time. Obviously here I've made some assumptions and I think with Revelation it is not always easy for me to reach a clear conclusion. Also as a new Christian a lot of this is difficult to understand but I know God is guiding me and I must be patient.

To be in the world and not of it means to me that we should remain separate from the sins of the world and at the same time remember to love the sinners that are in the world knowing that we have all come short of the glory of God.

• 1 month later...

THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN SO HARD FOR ME. I BELIEVE THAT AS A CHRISTIAN ONE CAN NOT BE OF THE WORLD. WHY WOULD ONE WANT TO BE? BUT WE HAVE TO BE IN THIS WORLD AND WE HAVE TO PLAY BY THE RULES OF THIS WORLD. I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU STUDY THE WORD, PRAY, LOVE EVERYONE AS CHRIST LOVES YOU, BE AN EXAMPLE OF GODS LOVE, AND CARRY YOUR FAITH WITH YOU, YOU CAN OVERCOME THE EVIL OF THIS WORLD. IT IS A DIFFICULT TASK. A CHRISTIAN MUST BE AN EXAMPLE IN THIS WORLD. GOD WANTS US TO WALK AS JESUS WALKED IN THIS WORLD. KNOWING THIS ONE MUST DO AS JESUS HAS DONE. IT IS NOT AN EASY WALK BUT IT IS A WALK A CHRISTIAN MUST TAKE.

• 10 months later...

I believe that we are seperate and unique for we stand for Christ in our daily decisions and lives. "We are in this world" to be the light and guide down the right path, to go out and join the non-Christians at their level of understanding explaining how our lives are different, and why they are and instead of shame, blame and indecent behaviour we can teach them if they are willing how it feels to be at peace with the blood of Christ as their shield yet "We are not of this world" we are just here for a second and we know where we are going after death for we have a living Saviour.

• 3 weeks later...

A Christian places God priorities and views above the worlds. A Christian should not buy into the commerical civiliziation at the expense of his/her Christian faith and what God has called them to do. Christians should live in this world following God's leadership. The world offers a lot of fine experiences, beauty, etc. Christians, however should place Jesus Christ into the center of everything we do.

Daily Bible study and prayer will open Christians to God's leadership. Christians can enjoy life, and they should, on this planet and the many fine experiences it offers as long as Jesus Christ is at the center and we are following His priorities and not the worlds.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that we should be salt and light. If we isolate ourselves from the world then who will tell them the good news of Jesus Christ. Every man must work out his own salvation. Everyone has different battles and different temptations. We must know our weaknesses and not get involved with things that make us weak. We come out by submerging ourselves in the word of God, by being taught and working for God and the church. We come out by abstaining from sins and things that bring us down. We do not partake of the sin but we show the love of Christ to the sinner.

• 3 months later...

Quite simply put; we are in the world, not of it. We do not participate in the hedonism of the world order nor submit to the avarice that rules the day. We should be content where God has put us and live lives holy and acceptable to Him.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q.4 Yes, there is a balance a combining of the two- being in the world and being salt and light. Yet we are to remain faithful and not allow the world to change our allegiance to God. Just as Jesus withdrew for times of prayer and solitude we too can find that in our private study time and prayer - then it's time to be in relationship with others (to be salt and light).

• 1 month later...

Our call is to be like Jesus - Jesus was in the world and not of the world! He lived a life of worship and did not hide himself from the world. He commanded us to 'go and spread the good news' and we can't do that if we are hiding.

The key to being in the world and not of the world is the relationship that we have with our Lord and Saviour. The more time we spend in the Word and in His Presence (prayer) the more grounded in Him we are.

We are set apart to shine our lights in a dark world, to be different from the rest of the world. Our prayer should be that God uses our light to shine on others' lives. To make a difference.

• 5 months later...

Babylon (or Babel) was the capital of an ancient empire. The name means "confusion" and originates from the confusion of languages which halted the building of the tower of Babel.

Symbolically, Babylon represents the confusion of idolatry and false religion. "And look, here comes a chariot of men with a pair of horsemen! And he answered and said, 'Babylon is fallen, is fallen! And all the carved images of her gods He has broken to the ground'" (Isaiah 21:9). "Declare among the nations, Proclaim, and set up a standard; Proclaim, and do not conceal it -- Say, 'Babylon is taken, Bel is shamed. Merodach is broken in pieces; Her idols are humiliated, Her images are broken in pieces'" (Jeremiah 50:2). "And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Revelation 17:5). Harlotry represents unfaithfulness to the true God through the worship of idols (Exodus 34:15,16; Leviticus 20:5; Deuteronomy 31:16; Psalm 73:27; Judges 2:17; 8:33; Jeremiah 2:20; 3:1; Ezekiel 16:15-17). In all ages, Satan -- that old serpent, the enemy of God and man -- has supplied the world with a confusion of false religions.

Israel was carried away into Babylonian captivity as punishment for its apostasy and idolatry. God's temple was destroyed. In Babylon, the Israelites could not worship God according to His word (Psalm 137:1-4).

Flee from Babylon!

Afterwards, God's people were commanded to flee from Babylon and return to Zion. This had a literal and a spiritual meaning. After 70 years of captivity, the Israelites were allowed literally to return to Jerusalem. This was on the condition that they would repent of their idolatry to restore the true religion at Jerusalem. Since their return there has been virtually no worship of images among the Jews!

This also has a deeper spiritual meaning. This prophetic content is seen in the passages where Israel is commanded to flee from Babylon. Some of them are clearly Messianic.

"Go forth from Babylon! Flee from the Chaldees! With a voice of singing, declare, proclaim 'The LORD has redeemed His servant Jacob!'" (Isaiah 48:20). See verses 12-22.

"Depart! Depart! Go out from there, touch no unclean thing; go out from the midst of her, be clean, you who bear the vessels of the LORD" (Isaiah 52:11). See verses 7-12.

"'In those days and in that time,' says the Lord, 'The children of Israel shall come, They and the children of Judah together; With continual weeping they shall come, And seek the Lord their God. They shall ask the way to Zion, With their faces toward it, saying, "Come and let us join ourselves to the Lord In a perpetual covenant That will not be forgotten"'" (Jeremiah 50:4,5). "Move from the midst of Babylon, Go out of the land of the Chaldeans; And be like the rams before the flocks" (Jeremiah 50:8). "Flee from the midst of Babylon, And every one save his life! Do not be cut off in her iniquity, For this is the time of the Lord's vengeance; He shall recompense her" (Jeremiah 51:6). "We would have healed Babylon, But she is not healed. Forsake her, and let us go everyone to his own country; For her judgment reaches to heaven and is lifted up to the skies. The Lord has revealed our righteousness. Come and let us declare in Zion the work of the Lord our God" (Jeremiah 51:9,10). "My people, go out of the midst of her! And let everyone deliver himself from the fierce anger of the Lord" (Jeremiah 51:45). See chapters 50 and 51.

"Up, Zion! Escape, you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon" (Zechariah 2:7).

In addition to Babylon, we also find Sodom, Jerusalem and Rome used as symbols of apostasy, corruption and idolatry (Revelation 11:8; 17:18). The expression "great city" is used in Scripture to designate idolatrous and evil cities: Nineveh (Genesis 10:11; Jonah 1:2; 3:2,3; 4:11); Gibeon (Joshua 10:1); Jerusalem (Jeremiah 22:8; Revelation 11:8); Sodom (Revelation 11:8); Babylon (Revelation 16:19; 18:10); Rome (Revelation 17:18). If you compare the passages in Revelation, you will discover that Jerusalem, Sodom, Babylon and Rome are all referring to the same city! This is the city of the false prophet, the city of the antichrist, the city which represents all rebellion to God.

We too must flee

In our time as well, God's people are commanded to depart from Babylon. We may not participate in the false religions that surround us. God calls us out of Babylon and tells us to return to Zion: "And I heard another voice from heaven saying, 'Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities'" (Revelation 18:4,5).

How can God's people be in Babylon? Referring to certain people who had not yet heard the Gospel, Jesus said: "Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city" (Acts 18:9,10). These were people who were searching for God and whose attitude was such that they would accept the Gospel. Through the preaching of Paul they were given an opportunity to repent and be saved, to escape from Babylon.

In His prayer to the Father, Jesus said: "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word" (John 17:6).

Cornelius is also a good example. He prayed regularly to God and did good deeds (Acts 10:4,31). Because God appreciated this, He provided Cornelius with an opportunity to hear the Gospel. Just through his prayer and good works, however, Cornelius was not yet saved! He was commanded: "Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon whose surname is Peter, who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved" (Acts 11:13,14).

Why must we depart from Babylon? "Lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues" (Revelation 18:4).

What does it mean to depart from Babylon? "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols?" (2 Corinthians 6:14-16). "Belial" means "the worthless one" or "the lawless one".

"Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you" (2 Corinthians 6:17). "Beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Corinthians 7:1). Read 2 Corinthians 6:14 through 7:1.

Some people think they can compromise with a false religion. They try to serve Christ in the camp of the antichrist! They think they can serve God inwardly although they remain in a denomination that deviates from the doctrine of Christ.

They are mistaken. If they remain in Babylon, they will perish with Babylon. "Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds" (2 John 9-11). "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch" (Matthew 15:13,14).

God warns us

"Go forth from Babylon! Flee from the Chaldees!" (Isaiah 48:20).

"Depart! Depart! Go out from there, touch no unclean thing; go out from the midst of her, be clean, you who bear the vessels of the LORD" (Isaiah 52:11).

"Move from the midst of Babylon, Go out of the land of the Chaldeans" (Jeremiah 50:8).

"Flee from the midst of Babylon, And every one save his life! Do not be cut off in her iniquity, For this is the time of the Lord's vengeance; He shall recompense her" (Jeremiah 51:6).

"We would have healed Babylon, But she is not healed. Forsake her, and let us go everyone to his own country" (Jeremiah 51:9).

"My people, go out of the midst of her! And let everyone deliver himself from the fierce anger of the Lord" (Jeremiah 51:45).

"Up, Zion! Escape, you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon" (Zechariah 2:7).

"Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues" (Revelation 18:4).

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Q4. (18:4) We Christians are instructed to be "in the world" but not "of the world, One interpretation has been to be hermits, ascetics, to distance ourselves from the political process, and to adopt stringent dress and behavior codes. Another interpretation is to be "salt and light" in the world so that we might bring about cleansing and change through God's spirit. Where do you think the balance lies? How and when should we fulfill the command, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins...."?

The balance lies in what has God called us to do, or be.

What are we afraid of? Greater is He that lives in us than he that is in the world.

We are to be the light so we will put on our armor and we will walk about in the garments of righteousness that Christ gave to us; we will be that salt, faithful servant, a light for the world to see the truth that lives in us.

We humans are to be about, it is called

• 3 weeks later...

Question #4 -- We are instructed to be 'in the world' but not 'of the world'. Where is the balance? Are we to distance ourselves from society or be the 'salt and light'?

God has a plan for our lives -- at time of our salvation we are given spiritual gifts by the Holy Spirit -- so obviously we are to be used in the local church. And we have been given the Great Commission -- to spread the Gospel to every nation starting locally and going forth as we are led. Bible gives us plenty of guidelines for Christian living. We are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and our neighbor as ourselves. As we try to live the Christian life, some people will distance themselves from Us simply because they don't like the Biblical ways of living. We are also known by the people we choose to associate with -- our reputation is very important if the unsaved are going to be willing to listen to us. Our day-by-day choices are very important. Be in God's Word and ask for guidance.

Sue :)

• 2 months later...

This is a material fallen world. If we dress like the "majority, i.e. dress for success" then we have a better chance to influence the lost who have money as their God. There is nothing wrong with dressing for success, as long as it doesn't become an obsession to continually buy new and expensive things. There are many ways to get nice clothes. this is just one example of material things we'd use to present ourselves to the lost, if we are in the corporate world. Here in Atlanta area there are several active Christian organizations that seek to be inside the corporation with a proactive Christian conscience. It all depends upon what God calls us to do.

For Revelation 18:4 to come out of her and not share her sins; this is a reminder to obey His commandments, all the time. We can see how she falls, and all should have anticipated this from reading many many places in the Bible.

• 2 months later...

Jesus set the standard for all Christians to be "in the world but not of the world". The are many modern Christians who seem to have the gift of being able to come close to living up to the standard (Mother Theresa is one know throughout the world). In our own community, we have Ministers who work with "Street People", drug addicts, prisoners, etc. giving unconditional love to those they serve. Not many of us are able to live such lives.

I think that the command "come out..." might apply to any of us who find the pressure to do something we know to be wrong to be so great that the only way to prevent our succumbing to that pressure may be to extricate ourselves from the situation. In some cases, this could mean quitting a job where the company/organization is corrupt or practising and encouraging unethical or immoral behaviour.