JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

There is a faith unto salvation; Romans 10:10 tells us one must believe whole-heartedly in a way that transforms our thinking and leads us to confess Christ as our Savior.  That’s just the beginning of the faith journey toward all that God has secured for believers as a result of this salvation.  We are still human beings, but with a new spiritual nature that must be developed/fully incorporated into our lives by the Holy Spirit within us.  Agreement and obedience to His instruction, correction, and guidance is our part – and that has to be solidly rooted in steadfast assurance, conviction, confidence, and reliance of the truth and promises of the Gospel (perseverant FAITH!). 

Salvation and faith are inseparable.  (The interesting thing is that they are both gifts of God, with one being given to us as something only He can accomplish and the other being given to us as something only we can utilize.) Salvation through the resurrected Christ is the basis for our redemption from sin and restored relationship with God.  We must believe and trust this in the profound way that impacts everything, as it becomes the substance of what we’re willing to lean our whole lives on.  Faith is an active element, not a static one.  It is essential to how we engage in this status of being saved.  

Receiving pardon and being rescued from the penalty of sin is a one-time event.  Our typical view of salvation basically sits there.  But being delivered from sin itself is an ongoing life-long process of being saved, and I think that’s what Paul is talking about when he said “you are being saved” (ESV and Interlinear).  We don’t automatically gain that full victory in our earthly lives when we accept Christ.  We have to grow into our new identity in Christ as we learn to be the saved person we actually are.  As deeper facets of the truth of the gospel are revealed, accepted, and applied we are gradually but constantly being rescued and delivered from the stubborn deceptive aspects of the old sin nature of our flesh.  And this difficult progression of dying to self so that Christ lives greater in us demands vibrant and active faith to strengthen/sustain us all along the way toward completion.  Throughout our daily lives we have to engage our trust in what God has said, done, and promised as the end result of salvation!

Salvation is a state of being, but it’s a status that cannot yet be fully realized.  On earth, we can only see that future glory through faith.  Faith is crucial to living in obedience and anticipation of this fullness that will be manifested according to God’s perfect timing.  God will not let go of a single one of His children, and we each must individually determine that, by faith, we won’t let go of following Him.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith?

​John Wesley formally developed justification and sanctification. We are justified by Christ at the moment that we believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died for the sins of the world and was raised again and now lives both  with God the Father and also  lives and works within us with the aid and assistance of the Holy Spirit. At that moment we are cloaked with a robe of righteousness that makes us righteous before God. As we continue our life in Christ we, as we perform the works of piety in Christ we gradually become sanctified, a process where we through the actions of Christ become holy, separated from the world onto God. This is a gradual process, a life time process where we continue to do the work of God, pray, read the Holy scripture and life our lives in and through Christ. It is only through such  perseverance of the saints  that we continue to live in Christ. It is necessary to continue to believe and work in Christ. The notes continue  "The perseverance of the saints means that all those who are truly born again will be kept by God's power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives ... and that only those who persevere until the end have been truly born again." While Calvinists and Arminians disagree on whether a truly born again person can lose his or her salvation, both agree that the true saints are those who persevere in their faith. (notes) 

But the quotes in the notes seem to make clear the necessity of continuing in Christ to the end. "... If you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel." (Colossians 1:23)

"He who stands firm to the end will be saved." (Matthew 24:13; Mark 13:3)

"And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast." (Hebrews 3:6)

"But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved." (Hebrews 10:39)

"The seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." (Luke 8:15)

Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?

The parable of the seed referred to in the notes (Luke 8:4-15) makes it quite clear that in order to produce a yield for the Lord we must  hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

There is a faith unto salvation; Romans 10:10 tells us one must believe whole-heartedly in a way that transforms our thinking and leads us to confess Christ as our Savior.  That’s just the beginning of the faith journey toward all that God has secured for believers as a result of this salvation.  We are still human beings, but with a new spiritual nature that must be developed/fully incorporated into our lives by the Holy Spirit within us.  Agreement and obedience to His instruction, correction, and guidance is our part – and that has to be solidly rooted in steadfast assurance, conviction, confidence, and reliance of the truth and promises of the Gospel (perseverant FAITH!). 

Salvation and faith are inseparable.  (The interesting thing is that they are both gifts of God, with one being given to us as something only He can accomplish and the other being given to us as something only we can utilize.) Salvation through the resurrected Christ is the basis for our redemption from sin and restored relationship with God.  We must believe and trust this in the profound way that impacts everything, as it becomes the substance of what we’re willing to lean our whole lives on.  Faith is an active element, not a static one.  It is essential to how we engage in this status of being saved.  Yes, it is necessary to continue to live our lives in faith and to work in Christ to produce a yield of 1oo fold.

Receiving pardon and being rescued from the penalty of sin is a one-time event.  Our typical view of salvation basically sits there.  But being delivered from sin itself is an ongoing life-long process of being saved, and I think that’s what Paul is talking about when he said “you are being saved” (ESV and Interlinear).  We don’t automatically gain that full victory in our earthly lives when we accept Christ.  We have to grow into our new identity in Christ as we learn to be the saved person we actually are.  As deeper facets of the truth of the gospel are revealed, accepted, and applied we are gradually but constantly being rescued and delivered from the stubborn deceptive aspects of the old sin nature of our flesh.  And this difficult progression of dying to self so that Christ lives greater in us demands vibrant and active faith to strengthen/sustain us all along the way toward completion.  Throughout our daily lives we have to engage our trust in what God has said, done, and promised as the end result of salvation! Yes!

Salvation is a state of being, but it’s a status that cannot yet be fully realized.  On earth, we can only see that future glory through faith.  Faith is crucial to living in obedience and anticipation of this fullness that will be manifested according to God’s perfect timing.  God will not let go of a single one of His children, and we each must individually determine that, by faith, we won’t let go of following Him.

In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith? All is contingent on " if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you."

Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand? "Otherwise, you have believed in vain." (15:1-2)"

1 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached551 to you, which you received552 and on which you have taken your stand553. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." (15:1-2)

In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith?

Spiritually speaking, we have salvation, but will not receive it fully until we enter Heaven.  In the New Testament, when it speaks about being saved, it is used in the sense of, "we are in the process of being saved".  We must continue to have faith in Jesus through all temptations and trials.

Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?

First, the "Doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints", in MAN made!  We do not need to have a special designation for a teaching in the Bible that is true.  We must keep the faith!  And we must follow the clear direction Holy Spirit guides us or else we may end up falling off the "salvation wagon".

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith?

I know there are many who believe we can "lose" our salvation, but I strongly disagree. I think the question should be instead "How is our faith dependent upon our salvation?"  Here's why:

I was reading John 15, 16, and 17 this morning prior to reading this question, and was thanking God that according to Jesus' own words, I'm secure in Him...in fact He said there that I was "chosen and called by the Father before the foundation of the world was formed and given to Jesus as His love gift....then the Holy Spirit in time wooed me and introduced me to Jesus. When I said "Yes" to His call, He redeemed me, forgave me of all...past, present and future, placed His "robe of righteousness upon me" and gave me back to the Father as His love gift. He said "I am in My Father, and you are in Me and I am in you."  

How can one "undo" God's own covenant with Himself? For when God cut covenant with Abraham, He put Abraham to sleep rather than allow him walk in the path of blood (of the animals cut in half), knowing "man" will break the covenant, so He Himself (in cloud and smoking fire pot) walked and cut covenant....because He is the only One Who cannot and will not break covenant. Jesus "cut covenant" without our help....because we have none to offer a holy and sinless God, so His shed blood on the cross is the New Covenant which He will not and cannot break. He tells us throughout scripture to REST in Him...allow Him to work in and through us...He is the True Vine...we are the branches. A branch bears fruit as the vine sends nourishment to the branches which then produce His fruit. The Father prunes the branches that they bear more abundant fruit, and "lifts up" as on a trellis the branches which are faltering and failing, that they may bear fruit. Jesus said our work "Is to believe." He will not quench a smoldering wick...but trims and fans it into flame again.

We are secure in Him. When the Father looks at a believer, He sees Jesus, because we are In Him. My part of salvation was simply saying "yes", and I work out my salvation by saying "yes" to Him everyday, allowing Him to sanctify and continue the work of "perfecting" and completing that which He began in me (Phil 1:6) (Because I love Him...not to "try to hold onto or maintain His free gift of Salvation."...but if I fail or falter...He promises to hold onto me....as He did Peter in his massive failure)

My experience of walking with the Lord for 40+ years is just that! I've strayed and gone my own way, and He held fast to my hand. I quit reading the Bible for a time because it became "work" and "I should read it" and it became dry and lifeless, until He drew me back and gave me a hunger to read the Bible, which has never waned since then. I've sinned grievously, and He held fast to me, just as He said in John 17:12 to His Father: "While I was with them (and His promise is to never leave me nor will He forsake me) I kept them and preserved them in Your Name.Those you have given Me I guarded and protected and not ONE of them has perished or is lost except the son of perdition (Judas Iscariot) that the Scripture might be fulfilled."

I believe the Bible interprets the Bible, and the 2 verses referred to in this question must be interpreted by the whole canon of scripture. (Salvation is by grace alone lest any man boast)  My understanding of those verses is that Paul is being a bit sarcastic to provoke them to search out whether or not they are truly born again, or just giving mental ascent to head knowledge.  Paul spoke similar words to the Hebrews when they were being persecuted...to stand fast..and not run back to the safety of religion...not that those who were saved would lose their salvation....but their opportunity to grow in grace and the fellowship and encouragement of their fellow believers.

As His child, I have no fear of slipping through His fingers into hell because of any failure to produce "enough fruit" (And how does one know when enough is enough?), but rather trust that the Holy Spirit, with my permission "will accomplish all of the works He predestined me to accomplish. Eph 2:10 )

Perseverance is the fruit of the Spirit...God's character which is being worked in us through testing, trials, and long periods of waiting. It's HIS WORK in us... My experience bears out scripture, in that when I've given up, He's lifted me up. When faith faltered, He provided the faith to keep trusting and waiting, by restating the promises He gave me years ago..which are still unfulfilled, but will be "in due time". When I've said "I'm done with this life" during long periods of suffering, He has held and comforted me and loved me back into wanting to live. When I've thought there was no fruit in my life He's surprised me by sending others to me to encourage me with "fruit" they've experienced or seen, which means we can bear fruit effortlessly often without awareness and without "grunting it out through fear of not doing enough"  if He's the One working it in our life.

I believe Jesus' words in John 17:11, releases the fear of not doing enough, not measuring up, or losing our salvation: "and now I am no more in the world, but these are still in the world (you and me) and I am coming to You, Holy Father, KEEP IN YOUR NAME THOSE WHOM YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, that they may be one as We are one"....That tells me He is the One who holds us and won't let go, because we are His sons and daughters and that His shed blood did forever what the blood of bulls and goats could only purchase for one year.

And finally...."FOR WHATEVER IS BORN OF GOD IS VICTORIOUS OVER THE WORLD; AND THIS IS THE VICTORY THAT CONQUERS THE WORLD, EVEN OUR FAITH. WHO IS IT THAT IS VICTORIOUS OVER (THAT CONQUERS) THE WORLD BUT HE WHO BELIEVES THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD (WHO ADHERES TO, TRUSTS IN, AND RELIES ON THAT FACT)?  (1 John 5:4,5) (No mention of striving, works of the flesh or fruit there....but that said....when we walk in His love, His works will flow through our lives naturally, He will carry us as He works perseverance into our character. There is no fear in love, for His love casts out ALL FEAR. HE IS BOTH THE AUTHOR AND THE FINISHER OF OUR FAITH.

1 Corinthians 15:1-2
Q). In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith?
A). We may backslide or fall by the wayside if we fail to continue walking in faith.
#
Q). Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?
A). The doctrine is important for us to understand because it addresses the eternal security of the saints.

It is easy to forget those decisions and rely more & more upon ourselves if it isn't foremost in our minds each day.

I think Christians need to know it is a battle they are in--that it isn't a one-time easy fix.  We put on our armor each day preparing to persevere!!

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) 

Without our faith and belief in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus, salvation cannot be received. We read in Romans 10:9, “That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” You will be saved! Therefore, it is not possible to be a Christian and not believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. We need to understand that those who are truly born again will spend eternity with Jesus. We will know we are truly born again when we see the Fruit of the Spirit develop in our lives, and we can also see a long-term growth in our Christian walk. At the same time we must have put our complete trust in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for our salvation, and are obedient to His commands. Jesus has said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15). If we listen to Jesus’s voice and follow Him, we will be given eternal life and no one can snatch us of Jesus’s hand. We read this in John 10:27-29), “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand”. This is the great assurance we have! 

Mat 14 v 29-30: Jesus said, “Come!” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when he noticed how strong the wind was, he became afraid and started to sink. the moment we

loose focus on Jesus Christ we are back to our sinful ways. Peter became afraid and started to sink.

For we are being saved by it.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2 In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith?

Faith is an action word, it is not a state of mind, Paul's teaching to the Corinthians is the same for us today, they who received the Gospel through FAITH, must hold fast to the message proclaimed and received, and not be diverted to "some other so called good news, which in fact is not good news at all Gal 1:6  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Gal 1:7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. In which case one's "TRUST" faith will have been in vain.

Salvation is "CONDITIONAL" on the "IF" in our lives, the word “if” is a primary particle of conditionality, and its meaning is that we, stand firmly on our faith, otherwise our faith will be in vain as we are warned in (V 12) Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say "SOME" among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 

Our faith in the resurrection is not a small part of our faith, it is the hope that lives within us, it is important that we hold unto that faith in Christ.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith? Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?

Continuing in faith is important to our salvation because without faith and hope we end up going back into the world and our sin. We must have faith in what Christ has done for us on the cross and His resurrection.

Perseverance of the saints is important because we must ho;d fast to the gospel, to hear and retain it. We must encourage one another to have courage and hope and stand fast to the end. 

While we are assured our salvation, we are instructed to also "work out our salvation."

Philippians 2:12-13

"Therefore my dear friends, as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence but now much more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, to will and to act, in order to fulfill His good purposes."

It is true that our salvation is a gift from God and that we do not earn it through works, but we have a responsibility to remain in our faith. We must work out our salvation with fear and trembling. We must persevere in our faith. This requires an action and decision making on our part. Yes, we persevere through the power of the Holy Spirit, "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill is good purpose" but to have a balanced view we also must heed other scripture too. We must strive against sin. (Hebrews 12:4) We must fight the good fight (2 Timothy 4:7) (Ephesians 6:10-18) We must run the race to win (1 Cor. 9:24).

In other words, because God is at work in me, I must continue to work out my salvation. I must persevere in my faith.

Salvation is completely God's work and we must rely on the power of the Holy Spirit and not our flesh to persevere in our faith, but it is imperative that we not take our gift of salvation too lightly. It was purchased at a great price. We need to have a reverent fear of God, an awareness of our own weaknesses and calling on God, we must persevere in our faith.

We have to have faith in order to be saved. Even though grace has been given to us we still have to believe in that grace. The doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints is so important for is to understand because in this world we can be deceived into believing in almost anything.

In what sense is our salvation dependant upon us continuing in faith?

In the sense that we are to adhere to the teachings of Jesus and Paul. The whole Bible in fact.

Matthew 7:26 "But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practise is like a foolish man who built his house on sand".

John 8:31 "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciple and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free".

2 John 1:9 "Anyone who was ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not know God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son".

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith? Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?

There is need to believe and keep on in faith or else we will backslide and fall.

The doctrine of perseverance in the faith is important for us to understand so as that we will see the need to remain steady, trusting and holding on to our faith.Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2) In what sense is our salvation dependent upon us continuing in faith? Why is the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints important for us to understand?

There is need to believe and keep on in faith or else we will backslide and fall.

The doctrine of perseverance in the faith is important for us to understand so as that we will see the need to remain steady, trusting and holding on to our faith.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1377-q1-perseverance/

Our salvation is inherently based on the faith that we have in the LORD Jesus as our Savior; that we hold fast, hold firmly, continue, hope in the LORD Jesus.  It is vitally important, that since our faith and hope are a work in progress that we continue to strive forward and increase the depth of our faith.  It is also important that we pay attention to the fact that there will be obstacles, temptations, stumbling blocks to get in the way to try to stop us still in our tracks and therefore attempt to cause doubt and non-belief/anti-faith ideas to creep into our hearts.  Therefore, it is crucial that we standing firm in that which we believe so that nothing can deter our faith-road travel.

Inherent in this process is the idea of being patient and persevering through it all, no matter what comes our way, in order to persevere to the end.  This coincides with what Wayne Gruden wrote in saying, “the perseverance of the saints means that all those who are truly born again will be kept by God’s power and persevere as Christians until the end of their lives…”

• 7 years later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2)

In Romans 3:23 we find that indeed all (not some) have sinned and fall short of the honor and glory which God bestows and receives.

In Romans 3:24 a way out of this situation is provided, in that ALL (again, not some) are justified and made upright and in right standing with God, . . . . . ... how is this done or accomplished  . .  .  .  ....  freely by His GRACE through the REDEMPTION which is provided in CHRIST JESUS. 

In Romans 3:26(b) He justifies and accepts as righteous him who has true faith in JESUS.

I think that what and how others have answered and the above Scriptures are enough to support that continued/true  faith is needed for salvation and that it is indeed a GIFT and not received because of anything an individual does or accomplishes in life.

• 1 year later...

Our salvation is NOT contingent on anything we do or not do after we are saved -- once saved, always saved. But our sanctification is utterly dependent on our obedience, and the slow growth in faith that subsequently happens.

RC Sproul gives the reformed idea of the perseverance of the saints here: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/tulip-and-reformed-theology-perseverance-saints

It's worth a read.

Here, Sproul says that the word perseverance should be replaced by the word preservation because God is the acting, not us. God preserves us and our faith. Horrible sins, such as done by David and Bathsheba, do NOT sever us from God because God Himself preserves our faith.