JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 months later...

In Deuteronomy 11:26 God set before us the 2 choices for humanity: a blessing for those who obey His commands and a curse for those who do not. Jesus clarified that the greatest command of supreme importance is the Shema in Deuteronomy 6:4: to love God with one’s entire heart, soul, and mind.  Paul reminds us that the curse is on anyone who does not come to love this way and display that love through obedience.  ESV translates his words as “let him be accursed.”  I don’t think Paul was pronouncing a curse; he was saying that any person who does not/will not love God remains under a curse already pronounced, and we must let that alone.

I find myself praying more and more with Paul, “Our Lord, come!”  Paul invited the Lord Jesus Christ to return soon, knowing that in that event all will be settled and completed for the redeemed.  There will be no more distortion of truth, no more violation of justice, no more perversion of love, no more impure worship and false idols, no more battles with the flesh, no more night of the soul!  I think he wanted to remind us to keep our sights focused firmly on Christ, our hearts set on the pure message of the Gospel, and our minds made up to faithfully persevere until He comes.

He curses those who do not love the Lord.

He invites Jesus Christ to come quickly!

He looks forward to Jesus' coming the same as I do: changed bodies, no more tears, being forever with the Lord, seeing those who have gone before, judgment of evil and a new heavens & new earth & Christ's reign!!  Amen!

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) Whom does Paul curse in this verse?

Paul said "A curse be on anyone who does not love the Lord."

Whom does he invite to come quickly?

Jesus!

Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ’s coming?

Paul had suffered greatly, as he was told he would. He was beaten with rods several times, left for dead, imprisoned and on and on...physical abuse almost beyond his ability to survive.Emotionally, he had suffered loss, ridicule, persecution, rejection, humiliation of the worst kind. He must have been weary and eager to be with His Lord, in a new incorruptible body in glory, where he would be welcomed, loved and accepted forever!

I'm eager to join him!

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) Whom does Paul curse in this verse? 

In this verse Paul curses "anyone does not love the Lord ". No doubt Paul is cursing those in Corinth but the statement is universal-it applies to anyone in all ages and all places. so the curse still applies today. 

Whom does he invite to come quickly? and   Paul looks forward so much to Christ’s coming?

Come, O Lord!" paul is asking Jesus to return and quickly. We all can ask the same, for the day of the Lord will be a day when the wolf will lie down with the lamb. As Jesus proclaimed in Luke 4:16-19:

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.

What a wonderful era when all will be equal- there will no more be Jew and Greek, slave or free, male or female for all will be one in Christ. This is why Paul asks Jesus to come.

1 Corinthians 16:22
Q). Whom does Paul curse in this verse?
A). Paul's curse was a warning against his opponents. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema (cursed)..." (1 Corinthians 16:22)
#
Q). Whom does he invite to come quickly?
A). Paul invites Jesus to come quickly "Maranatha (O Lord, come)". (16:22)
#
Q). Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ's coming?
A). I think the pressure and stress of being a faithful servant for Christ was a great burden to Paul sometimes. His missionary work and the tribulations of this world caused Paul to hope for Christ to come quickly.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) Whom does Paul curse in this verse? Whom does he invite to come quickly? Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ’s coming?

Basically in verse 22, Paul is calling a curse on anyone who does not love the Lord. At the time Paul had many enemies because he was turning many idol worshipers to Christ. This was a lose of income for the makers of the idols and there were some who were preaching a different gospel than what Paul had taught them.

Paul closes his letter to the Corinthians by praying that the Lord will come quickly. He knows that persecution and false teachings are a threat to the church and he also knows when Christ returns he will glorify the saints and defeat evil.      

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.) Whom does Paul curse in this verse?

Paul in my opinion is not cursing anyone; Paul's teaching here is that of "LOVE".

Paul in "love" was warning the people, if anyone does not love, have affection for the Lord, let him understand, he is in danger of being cursed, as to be separated from God forever, Paul understood the seriousness of this matter as we see, his heart is for the lost (Rom 9:3-4) I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

This is an expression of deep devotion for the lost, as seen also in (Exodus 32:32) when Moses prayed, "This people sinned a great sin and have made themselves gods of gold.  Yet now, if you will forgive their sin-and if not, blot me I pray out of your book which you have written. God's answer to Moses was, "Whoever has sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. Therefore, go lead the people to the place of which I have spoken to you.

This is love in action as revealed in the heart of Paul and of Moses - For the lost, and "WARNING" to those who are "LUKEWARM" to the commands, to the things of God.

Our Lord, the Messiah.

Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ's coming?

It is the same reason I am looking forward to the Messiah coming, we "Know" He is coming, however, we do not know just when, it could be at any moment, (as I see so many of the signs of the Last Days, I believe it could be today)

This is good reason that we also should spur the careless to heed the warning and to encourage everyone to expect, to look forward to Christ's coming, God's promises yet to be fulfilled.

I don't think Paul is cursing anyone per say, I think he is saying whoever does not love the Lord, let him be cursed (as that person is bringing a curse down on his own head.) Christ is to be loved above all others and Paul is saying those who refuse to love Christ and who reject Him bring a curse down on their own heads and Paul in defense of Christ is in full agreement of their punishment and is even saying, "let that happen to them!"

Who does he invite to come quickly? Jesus!

I believe Paul was looking forward to Christ's coming not so much to escape the persecutions he suffered or even to save the church from any more complications through false teachings and weak congregations. In his life he never shrank from any of these things. He was looking forward to the completed work of Jesus when Christ would come back and take His rightful place as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Then all who opposed Christ would see and bow down before Him. The Lord's name would be vindicated! Paul's life was about Christ. Not circumstances.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) 

Whom does Paul curse in this verse? 

Paul curses those who do not love the Lord Jesus – that is those who fail to obey His commandments or those who preach another gospel. I love what John Stott has written, “We are not to be dazzled, as many people are, by the person, gifts or office of teachers in the church. They may come to us with great dignity, authority and scholarship. They may be bishops or archbishops, university professors or even the pope himself. But if they bring a gospel other than the gospel preached by the apostles and recorded in the New Testament, they are to be rejected. We judge them by the gospel; we do not judge the gospel by them”. Paul, like all believers, invite Jesus Christ to come quickly. Paul looked forward for the Lord to take away the accursed, nominal, and false Christians who harm the true church. However, there is an invitation for all the lost to receive Christ before the chance of salvation is gone forever. We all look forward to this great day when, “the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17). In that glorious day, “Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed - in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory (1 Corinthians 15:51-54).”

Paul curses those who do not believe in the Lord. He invites all to come quickly I think that Paul looked forward to Christ’s coming because he was tired and wanted to see him. I feel the same way sometimes. I know that being in the Lord’s kingdom will be the greatest thing that will happen and Paul has be teaching the same thing.

Anyone who doesn't love the Lord.

"Come, Lord Jesus"

Paul had so many plans, to re-visit his church plantings, to re-unite with his fellow workers, to help the poor, to strengthen  the weak. to sort out false teachings and disputes.not forgetting his disabilities," his thorn in the side"

He possibly thought  that all these events would be ongoing and the only solution would be when Christ returns and his struggles be finally over,

May Christ's return be soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) Whom does Paul curse in this verse? Whom does he invite to come quickly? Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ's coming?

Paul cursed anyone who did not love the Lord.

He invited the Lord Jesus Christ to come quickly.

The reason Paul looked forward so much to the Lord's coming is best seen in what he said in 2 Timothy 4:7-8 below:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8 ESV)

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22) Whom does Paul curse in this verse? Whom does he invite to come quickly? Why, do you think, Paul looks forward so much to Christ's coming?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1385-q4-maranatha/

Paul states that those peopleple who do not love the LORD will be cursed.  This was a similar curse that Paul uttered when he included curses on those preach another gospel (Galatians 1:8-9) or a warning to those who won't obey instruction (2 Thessalonians 3:14-15). He calls on his readers to "love the Lord -- or face the eternal consequences.

Dr. Wilson put it bluntly when he included the notes that “failure to obey Jesus is to not love him (John 14:15). Living in incest, going to prostitutes, feasting in pagan temples, and the like are incompatible with the Kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9). We may not like to hear this in our easy-salvation era, but we must not deceive ourselves. The gospel Jesus taught is a gospel of repentance and humility before God.“

"22b Come, O Lord! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. 24 My love to all of you in Christ Jesus. Amen." (16:22b-24)

• 7 years later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 16:22)

The Amplified translation puts it in such a way, that it does not sound like Paul is cursing them, or placing a curse on them but saying that whoever does not love the Lord - does not have a friendly affection for Him and is not kindly disposed toward Him -  he shall be accursed.

He invites our LORD to come quickly. Yeshuah our Messiah

He genuinely loves Him and is looking forward for the trials of this life to be over. He is looking forward to be with Christ.

• 1 year later...

Paul curses people. To say he is not really cursing, or doesn’t mean it for whatever reason, is to deny the plain meaning of the text. To say that his curse only mirrors God’s curse on non-believers cannot be true because Paul has directed his words to Christian believers.

Paul curses:

• Christians who are confused and preach non-Christian ideas
  • Christians who do not obey when instructed
  • Christians who do not love the Lord.

----

Why does Paul look forward to Christ's coming?

• Maybe it’s a mid-life crisis sort of thing, but I increasingly look forward to the end of life when I can be with my Lord. Yes, Maranatha. Come Jesus. Take me home.
  • Those who have suffered endlessly and deeply are most willing to end our lives for Him or have the Messiah come again to claim us. We’re tired. The fight is exhausting. We just want to go home.
  • Those who are old and have “fought the good fight” are also eager to go home, for the next life will be so much more satisfying than the final dregs of this one.