JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Baptism of the Holy Spirit

The difference between John's baptism and Jesus' baptism is, John baptized with water, while Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit.

What a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" implies about this event is, we receive the power of the Holy Spirit to guide us in our Christian walk.

• 2 months later...

John's baptism was to be used as a renewing of faith. The Israelites had basically been on their own for 400 years. There had been no one to keep the people honest in their love of God. They had strayed from God to the worldly ways. He was to use the symbol of the baptism of water to start to open the hearts of man to their God again.

The baptism of Jesus is to create a new chosen people. It is to not only open people's heart to God but to bring people closer to the Father in a more profound relationship. He challenges people to step out and follow God's purpose for their lives. He wants us to give up the worldly ways and follow Him to our heavenly ways.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit is when we get filled with the Spirit of God. When we accept Jesus we are immersed in His graces. We are filled with an energy that changes our whole life. This is the energy that filled the apostles.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings?   Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water."  What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event?

John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, Christ Jesus.  As for the baptism that Jesus brings, I’ll defer to Titus 3:5:  “…He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.  He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit…”

When you’re immersed in the baptismal waters, you die in Christ Jesus and as you reemerge you are resurrected in Him who died for you.  Your resurrection not only washes away your sin but it also brings about renewal (rebirth) in the Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

John baptized with water for purify of there sins. Jesus baptized with fire from the Holy Spirit that came upon all those that believe in God's only begotten Son Jesus the Christ. The church I attend Baptist you in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. I never knew that people baptize in the name of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event?

John the Baptist baptized with water. His mission was to announce the Messiah. The baptizing with water was symbolic both to show a new life for the people and symbolic for Christ to show his arrival. Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit which is an infusion, a very real indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is not symbolic. To accept Jesus into one's life, to place one's faith in our savior is to receive the Holy Spirit. John the Baptist is stating very clearly the Jesus is the Messiah and is speaking with God's authority!

• 1 year later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event?

As John the Baptist was announcing the presence of Jesus Christ approaching him to be baptised he said out loud,” the one [God] who as sent me to baptise with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain in the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit”. John 1:33.

It is worth noting that the followers of John the Baptist were knowledgeable of the Spirit from scriptures in the Hebrew Torah.

In Ezekiel 36:25 “ I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from your uncleanness’, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you…”

John the Baptist was sent by God to ask the people of Israel to repent and prepare a way for the coming of the Lord, Jesus Christ. His baptism represented the “clean water upon you” to first cleanse his followers of sin and to invite them to have a change of heart and repent – i.e. sin no more.

To make the next step following on from be cleansed and being repentant could only be achieved through a new Spirit and a new heart.

I will put my spirit within you, and make you follow my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances”. Ezekiel 36:27

John’s ritual baptism could only cleanse a person of their shame and guilt related to sinning against God. However, being temporarily clean had no lasting effect and it is only through the Spirit that a person could maintain their cleanliness.

So by saying Jesus Christ baptizes in the Holy Spirit is foreshadowing the true and lasting salvation offered by Jesus through God’s Holy Spirit.

Only the Spirit has the power to give new life to renew our hearts and minds and by following Jesus Christ we have the truth, the way and the life.

• 2 months later...

John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance – it was a demonstration of repentance.  Baptism in Jesus name was done as an act of recognition and consecration (giving ourselves) because of what had already been done in the believer’s heart and life.

The empowering of the Holy Spirit releases rivers of living water from within. It is an empowerment for service. The Holy Spirit equips us, leads us, comforts us, and teaches us. The work of the Holy Spirit is internal – He fills us and lives within us.

• 7 months later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge underwater." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event?
According to the Believer’s Commentary it says: Whereas John baptized with water Jesus baptized would baptize with the Holy Spirit. The baptism with the Holy Spirit took place on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:5 2:4 , 38) At that time, the Holy Spirit came down from heaven to dwell in the body of every believer and also to make each believer a member of the church, the Body of Christ. (1 Cor 12:13)
That you have to believe in order to be baptized or the baptism will not mean anything

• 6 months later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist’s baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? Baptism is a word that means “immerse, plunge under water.” What does a “baptism of the Holy Spirit” imply about this event?

John’s baptism was unto repentance. It does not result in regeneration and eternal life. It brought their hearts in tune to hear what the Lord was intending to do. But the baptism of Jesus was with the Holy Spirit and fire. When Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, it brings regeneration within us. We are born again to eternal life. And as evidence of the inner reality of belonging to the Lord, we are baptized in water to symbolize the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is an outward expression of the baptism of the Holy Spirit that has taken place within both to the seen and the unseen world. Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, that is submerging us with the Holy Spirit into eternal life and the Holy Spirit baptizes us into the Body of Christ, so that we become part and parcel of His body, just like the members of our body belong to us and not separate from us.

• 2 weeks later...

John's baptism of water is to physically wash away the sin of the person who has confessed and repented. Once immersed and we come up out of the water, we are a new creature.  There is a change in our hearts to live free of sin. To live according to the will of God.  We have accept Jesus and now wait to be complete in Him,  Filled with righteous and holiness.  It is after our confession and repentance and washing away of our sins, that our bodies and minds are right to receive the Holy Spirit.  Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit which is the Spirit of God.  We are now ready to begin our lives in Christ.  The Spirit of God can only live in a clean sinless heart.  That is the purpose of water baptism.  It washes us white, clean from sin and prepares us to receive the spiritual things of God.  the Holy Spirit lives in each Christian but performs differently in us according to our need and God's purpose for us.  We are now used for the glory of God which shines in our lives and the way we live.  We are able to testify to others of God's mercy and grace and lift up His name so that he can draw all men unto Him.  I am often concern with how we explain the gift of the Holy Spirit which fell on the Apostles at Pentecost. We need to reread it carefully and realize that He fell on the Apostles and they spoke in tongues, so that those who were there were able to hear the gospel in there own native language.  "Tongues" here means language.  This was a meeting where different cultures were gathered and they all spoke different languages according to the region they were from.  There were those who where amazed that they could understand what the Apostles were saying, and knew that they were not educated men, just fishermen and had know way of knowing how to speak the different dialects. Also the Holy Spirit was promised to the disciples when Jesus ascended back to heaven just for that purpose.  At this time the gospel had not yet been preached to the people so the Holy Spirit would not have fallen on those who had not heard the gospel and accept it yet.  The Holy Spirit, at this time was given so that people would see, hear and believe.  The same thing applies to the miracles and wonders the Disciples performed. All done so that people would know and see God and believe.

• 5 weeks later...

Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? 

John baptizes with water.  Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit.  The thought comes to me about the woman at the well.  Jesus told her that if she drank of the water from the earthly well that she would thirst again.  But if she drank of the water Jesus offered her she wouldn't thirst again.  The water Jesus gave would become a spring in her welling up to eternal life.   There is physical water and spiritual water.  Jesus called all those who were thirsty to come to Him to drink spiritual water, referring to the Holy Spirit.  God said in Jeremiah that His people had committed two sins.  They had forsaken Him the fountain of living water and dug broken cisterns that could hold no water.   

Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event? 

It implies that we are immersed into the Holy Spirit.  Jesus said that rivers of living water would flow out of our bellies.  We are temples of teh Holy Spirit.  Those rivers are the rivers of the Holy Spirit.  In Ezekiel 47, water flowed out of the Temple.  When the waters reached the place of a river that couldn't be crossed, there was healing.  When there is immersion in the river of the Holy Spirit there is healing.  Where the river flowed there was life and healing.  Where it didn't flow there were swamps and marshes and no healing.  The river of the Holy Spirit brings healing if we allow Him to flow and don't put dams up to stop Him. 

• 7 months later...
  1. Q5. (John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? John the Baptist’s baptism was restricted for Jews and it only took place east of the Jordan River at a place called Bethany by immersing them in the Jordan River. The baptism that Jesus brings, on the other hand, doesn't deal with just a single person, or the sin of just the Jewish people for that year; it deals with the sins of everyone in the whole world for all time.
  2. Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event? In water baptism I get dipped into the water or the water is poured over my body. In the “baptism of the Holy Spirit”, the Holy Spirit comes into me, and my heart is immersed in it. Furthermore, it relates to the passage from Deuteronomy 30:6: The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live.

• 2 months later...

Q5. (John 1:33)

How does John the Baptist’s baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings?

1. John's baptism was a singular event: a person came to him to repent of and be forgiven of their sins, and that's it
  2. Jesus baptism was multi-dimensional. As a pentecostal believer, the emphasis that I learned was on the speaking in tongues. What I appreciate about this lesson is that it highlights the multi-dimensions of the Holy Spirit
  3. I experienced, and continue to experience these "dimensions" of the Holy Spirit, but I never saw Him in this way before:
  4. "Born of the Spirit" (3:6, 8), "born from above/again" (3:6).
  5. Worship "in Spirit and in truth" (4:24).
  6. "Rivers of living water" flowing out of one's heart (7:38-39), offered to "whoever believes in me."
  7. "The Spirit of truth," who is with you and will be in you (14:16-17) -- another Counselor (Greek Paraklētos), the indwelling Spirit.
  8. The Spirit (Paraklētos) who will teach and remind believers of what Jesus said (14:26).
  9. The Spirit (Paraklētos) who testifies of Jesus (15:26).
  10. The Spirit (Paraklētos) who will guide us into all truth (16:13-15), and who will convict the world of sin (16:8-11).
  11. The Spirit Whom Jesus breathed upon his disciples -- "Receive the Holy Spirit" (20:22).

Baptism is a word that means “immerse, plunge under water.” What does a “baptism of the Holy Spirit” imply about this event?

1. As I think about it, the baptism in water is an mere earthly "symbol" of the heavenly "symbol", the baptism in the Holy Spirit, to be totally immersed in, and plunged into the presence of God. In Acts 2, the apostles appeared drunk after receiving the Holy Spirit, ie, totally immersed in and plunged into God's Spirit.

• 3 months later...

As the scripures state Jesus, Himself did not baptize, only his disciples did. I don't know how that would have been different from Johm's baptism. The Holy Spirit was not given until Jesus ascended back into heaven. So the baptism of the Holy Spirit did cause a notticeable change in he people receiving. While in the upper room the Holy Spirit fell upon them like tongues of fire. Today, many churches believe that the Holy Spirit manifestes itself with speaking in tongues. I have neer spokenn in tongues, but I believe I have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, because I asked for it. Maybe I am wrong but if I am saved, and I am, then I have what god wants for me.

As he scriptures states, Jesus, Himself did no bati

• 9 months later...

This subject of the BAPTISM OF the Holy Spirit is very dear to my heart.  As I was studying my lesson, memories of my high school years came back--1971--1973 in particular.   Charismatic prayer meetings, Kathryn Kuhlman, Rev Rex Humbard and the Pastor Gunnar Jacobsen, Assembly of God.   Gordon Lindsey's handbook on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit influenced me deeply that Autumn 1971.

John's water baptism was a cleansing from sin.  The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the imparting of new life from God.  This Holy Spirit baptism is a baptism of regenerating grace.   We are called to be the new Israel walking in holiness.  I was taught that the Pentecostal baptism is to give evangelical zeal to the believer.  As a young man in high school, this impressed me deeply.  Years prior, I would listen to Rev Billy Graham religiously via NYC radio and TV.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit had been promised under the form of an outpouring (Acts 2:33).  This baptism is the communication of holiness wrought by the Lamb of God.  John's baptism was strictly one of metanoia; the gifts of the Holy Spirit were not yet given to the church until Christ was glorified.

• 9 months later...

John 1:33) How does John the Baptist's baptism differ from the baptism that Jesus brings? Baptism is a word that means "immerse, plunge under water." What does a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" imply about this event?

John baptised with water and this was symbolic of being ritually cleansed. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is no longer symbolic. Now it is that it is no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me. That too is what God then sees. He sees Christ the righteous. 

It implies being immersed, as it were, in the Holy Spirit. Being filled with Him.