JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spiritual Blindness

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work? What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

• 2 months later...

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

The Pharisees were self righteous "keepers of the Law" who expected others to follow their legalism...Jesus healed the man (and others) on the Sabbath, which they misconstrued as "work" (such as a tailor walking with a needle...the tool of his trade....tucked into his lapel). He then told the man to pick up his mat and carry it....They cared nothing for the man...only that Jesus "broke the law" in both healing on the Sabbath, and in telling the man "to break their version of the Law."

How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing?

Narcissistic folks ("me first, you not at all") and those who live under the law and who get their value from their own works and abilities, while expecting others to follow their "rules.", are only focused on "doing it right"...without regard for God or people, and at the expense of others.

Have you ever caught yourself doing that?

Yes! When I was a young Christian I had no idea about grace....I actually thought that success as a Christian was to walk from Salvation, (point A) to Heaven (point B ) in the straightest line possible while doing "it all right."  I learned after failures and misery that isn't possible...my most valuable learning has been through mistakes, failures, disappointment in myself, my priorities, how I treated people, etc. I read the Bible through every year for several years, and didn't get a whole lot out of it except pride in having done so. I became distraught if I got a day or two behind then had 5 or 6 chapters to read in one day to get caught up....it was all about "how I was doing", which then led me to compare myself with others...and either came up way short, or felt superior. It was a trap of Satan to cause despair! Thank God, He delivered me from that....with the verse "All that you have done, I have accomplished for you". What joy! What a relief! When Jesus said "It is finished!", He had completed my salvation, provision, plans, promises, health, relationships, the works He preplanned for me.....all of it, and my part is to rest in Him each day, follow His lead, Let Him lead, and He works through me to His Glory, not mine.  Learning and understanding Grace has changed me totally from an uptight legalist, to a joyful, relaxed, daughter of God, who extends grace to others. In learning about grace, I learned how deeply and unconditionally I'm loved and cherished by my Father in Heaven!

Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work?

Yes, our former pastor... a young man,  started out well, but soon began to make rules, then more rules. Got trusted people to "spy" on others so he would know if things were being done his way. Of course as the congregation "woke up", the church began to fall apart, then he got into deception about finances, and made up rules about giving...... a downward spiral resulting in many wounded, disillusioned believers..

What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

Pride! (We do it right, and Jesus you're wrong!) They are spiritually blind and don't understand that the law was meant to be a mirror to show us our sin and need for a Savior...and that "the Law is the ministry of death." (2 Cor 5:7), while the new covenant in the Spirit, gives life (Rom 7:4-7)

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work? What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

They were upset because it was Jesus who did the healing.  They hated Jesus and were rigid in following their laws. We too must be careful not to be so ridgid in sticking with the rules that we miss God.  Following church programs/agendas could hinder us from seeing what God wants to do among us.  The sin of the Pharisees is not seeing Jesus, Son of God at work in their midst.

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

The teachers of the law were upset with the man not because he was healed, but because he was about to break the Sabbath law by carrying his bed, how sad it is when man turns God’s laws into a form of legalism, when the laws purpose is to light our way, to guide us in our walk with God, opening our eyes to see how awesome a God He is and how lucky we are to know Him.

The error of the Pharisees was by placing the law in front of the cart of God’s grace and mercy, the Holy Spirit had not yet been given, so the Pharisees in their ignorance thought they were doing the right thing, it is important that we today who have the Holy Spirit do not follow in the same error by placing strict rules the “church” sets up instead of following the leading of the Holy Spirit, or even more serious by giving so little concern about keeping God’s Holy laws or even go so far as teaching, we no longer have to follow after God’s commandments by calling it God’s grace and mercy.

Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

1.  The "Sabbath police" were upset because Jesus was the one that healed the man.  They were using as an excuse to latch out at the man that carrying his mat he was working.  Working on the Sabbath was against the law. 

How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that?

2.  We often times get caught up on rules and we miss what God is doing.  We become so self-centered in man made rules that we forget the people involved.  I have caught myself doing that.  Thank God that I recognized it and came to my senses.

Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work? What is the sin of the Pharisees here?  

3.  Yes, I find that happens quite often with the older ones in the church.  Basically, they don't adapt to change easily.  "How we do things" has always worked so why change it.  If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it attitude.  The sin of the Pharisees is that they were more concerned about their rules rather than the life and health of a human being.         

(John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

These people seemed to be so upset because in their view, the law was being broken. As a result, that they failed to be joyful for the man who was healed. Perhaps they felt threatened by Jesus because he healed a man, and they never have.

It is very sad that a person has this attitude. I sometimes feel resentful at the way things are done in our church, especially at the services. I think I have said before that I get upset at what I see as hype, perhaps my attitude is wrong.

The sin of the Pharisees is that they miss the very purpose of the law that God gave his people. The pharisees are so cauht up with their own man made laws. The 'law' is to them more important that the welfare of the people, whom they are meant to be serving! Jesus brought it all into perspective when he said " “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; (Matt 12:2, Mark 2:27)

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

They're upset because they see him carrying his mat on the Sabbath. That is technically doing "work" and it deeply offends them. The Pharisees are so caught up in legalism that they would persecute anyone not following ALL their often man-made rules.

It can happen. People get stuck in traditions and won't move with the times. People like to make rules so that if you follow the rules you won't slip up. If there's room for error or misinterpretation, often the authorities will invent rules to follow to prevent that.

No. But I have seen the need in my own life to do things a certain way in order to make sure I do them right. Call it OCD if you like, but when you live alone and you have things that must be done, you'll find the best way to do them and then stick to that way.

Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work?

A miserable wowser in my old church had a son who was the lead singer in a Christian Punk band. The band had released an album and were in demand at other churches as well, with a really vibrant ministry. He was so against his son doing that because he personally didn't like punk rock that he threatened his son in this way: "Unless you quit that band immediately I'll write to the diaconate demanding that your band never play at our church again." Shane took one for the team and quit the band. One day I bumped into his dad at the garage when we both pulled in for fuel. It was really tempting to trip the old coot and then give him a kick in the guts before helping him up. I could have made it look like an accident.

Jesus condemned the Pharisees numerous times for placing man-made rules ahead of God's Law and for slamming the door to the Kingdom of Heaven in the faces of the people wanting to enter. Jesus admitted that they had the keys to the Kingdom and had locked the door, after refusing to enter themselves.

Q3. (John 5:9-13) 

Why are the "Sabbath police" (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? 

Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they couldn't see God at work? 

The Pharisees were very strict and even cruel in carrying out the their letter of the Law, often showing no mercy or compassion to others. Their interpretation of The Law of Moses (Exodus 20:8-44) decreed that one who broke the Sabbath should be stoned to death. However, they had expanded the written law to include 39 categories of work that violated the Sabbath law. The law forbade menial work on that day, but it did not prohibit the performance of acts of necessity or of mercy. Also, I think, what it actually meant was that one was not to perform one’s daily occupation on the Sabbath. Here it was the healed man carrying his pallet on the Sabbath, and they wanted to find the person that dared tell this man to break the Sabbath tradition. They showed no interest in the miracle Jesus had just performed, caring little that the man had been healed. Being so intent on rules and regulations they missed noticing that Jesus had shown wonderful love and mercy to this man. By performing this miracle, Jesus had stirred up the anger and hatred of the Jewish leaders, and this all, because the healing was done on the Sabbath! The result of all this was that they pursued Him and wanted Him killed. When it comes to changing how things are done, I feel I’m quite flexible. Although I must admit when they changed the times of the morning service it took me some time to adapt. 

Why are the sabbath police (the pharisees) to upset at the man who is healed?  How can a man be so intent on the rules that they miss what God is doing?  Have you ever bought ourself doing that?  Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they don't see God At work?  What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

In one middle eastern country we were in there were the religious police who would go after the stewardesses at the souk with their stick (forget the term they had for it) for not being dressed appropriately.  They could do some real damage on those young women.  Every culture has its self appointed police with the self appointed mindset that it is "my duty".  There is nothing like religion to bring out the "its my business and my job" in people.  It is the mind of man not of God.  Now some of those stewardesses and some other westerners asked for trouble and they sure got it.  In the case of this man I do not see that he asked for trouble but he sure found it in the Pharisees who went by "the letter of the law to the extreme" who were hardened by the law and loved the power of the law and were arrogant by the excuse the law gave them to maybe just decipher the law their own way, and be the judge, jury and executioner of anyone who had the audacity to challenge it in anyway that gave them (the Pharisees)  the excuse to do what they wanted which was to satisfy their pride and also to satisfy that inward desire in the human psyche to hate and to cause much pain.  They are merciless.  That is the mind of an unredeemed person, a person with out Christ.

The sin of the Pharisees was that they made themselves God to satisfy the desires of the flesh.

God Bless!

Jen

John 3:16

Amazing love how can it be that though my God could still love me.

The Sabbath police were so upset with the invalid who had been healed because he was carrying home the mat in which he had been lying on, an offence against their law.

Sometimes we are so set on rules and traditions that we fail to see God working in our or others lives. We should let the Lord do His work and not keep the rules of man or rules of denominations that have made rules to follow if we are to be believers in their interpretation of Gods word.

I have attended a church service other than my own denomination and knowing their beliefs I had failed to worship and praise the Lord as I should have. Just raising your hands to heaven would have been an spectacle in itself.

I have not seen this in my own congregation or denomination, but I had heard of a gifted individual who was refused to participate in a ministry in his church just because he was not baptized according to their preference.

The sin of the pharisees in this situation of the healed invalid is that they had added their own interpretation to God's word concerning the Sabbath. They were accusing the invalid and eventually Jesus for neglecting the law of the Sabbath.      

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the "Sabbath police" (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they couldn't see God at work? What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

The Pharisees were so upset that Jesus broke the law by healing the man on the Sabbath day.

We need the Spirit leading to see beyond our legalistic stance and attend to spiritual needs that may be begging for our action.

I do usually want to ensure that people do things they way they are designed to be  and am learning that legalistic inclination can make us spiritually blind.

The sin of the Pharisees is being more interested in keeping the law that they become blind to the spiritual need of the people.

(John 5:9-13) Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on “how we do things here” that they couldn’t see God at work? What is the sin of the Pharisees here? 

There could be a few reasons why the Pharisees were upset - (1) They could not heal the invalid. (2) They were overzealous in interpreting and administering the law. (3) They were jealous.

Very often, we can get so intent on the rules that we miss what God is doing. One issue of contention that I have is being asked to sit in a specific row when I attend church. We are always asked to fill in the front rows. But my take is, why can't we sit where we want to sit, within reasonable limits i.e. not sit on along the aisles, when we are in Church. We are in Church to worship God, not the Senior Pastor and the Church leadership and certainly not the ushers!

Please don't get me wrong. I have done usher duty and I have always allowed people to sit where they want to sit - First come first served. If you are late, then you don't get to pick. Right? 

Anyway, I think this is one example where we are so intent on the rules. 

The Pharisees are upset with the man because he is breaking the rules.  It is very easy to be over intent on rules and lose out on spiritual matters as a result.  As a young woman I made myself absolutely miserable by following what turned out to be misunderstood rule that I couldn’t go to Communion because I had left my (very violent) husband.  Fortunately I was put right by the parish priest who said that Communion was my spiritual food and would heal me.  He was right, I was wrong.  I have known a person who was so rigid and vocal that she scared fellow parishioners away from the church.  The sin of the Pharisees is rigidly sitting in judgement on others and abusing a position of power.

• 3 weeks later...

Some time we are so engulfed with rules and this is how we do it here we a lot. The Pharisees are upset first because of the man carry his mat and second because Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

the Pharisees were more concern about petty rules than a man being healed It is so easy to get caught up in our man made structures and rules we forget about the people involved.

The Pharisees sin was to see a man healed after  38 years of sickness  all they could see was it was done on the wrong day. When Jesus comes to us no matter what day take it pick up thy bed and walk.

Praise His Holy Name

I don’t think that the Pharisees was so upset that the man was healed on the Sabbath it is just that they saw the somebody else was starting to take the power that they thought they had away from them. I think that we all or most us have been so intent on rules that we really do miss what God is doing. I know I have caught myself do that especially when I was following a legalist religion.

I have seen that sometimes there are people more intent on “how we do things here” that they miss the message from God. I think the sin of the Pharisees here is that they had no compassion.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 5:9-13)

Why are the “sabbath police” (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?

For the "sabbath police," the healed man was obiously not observing the Sabbath Day, it is unholy to do personal work.

Pharisees rules where base on supertitions and traditions (Mishnah), and they have wrong interpretation of the laws of the old testament.

When I was yet unbeliever we also have supertitions and rules that are totally not biblical.

I think there are some but I believed they are going into process of learning more

The sin of unbelief of Jesus Christ. The sin of making traditions and supertitions as rules and being healed in the sabbath day was not God's work.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Pharisees, carrying a mat on the Sabbath was work and was therefore unlawful. It did not break an Old Testament law, but it broke the Pharisees’ interpretation of God’s command to “remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy” (Exodus 20:8). This was just one of hundreds of rules they had added to the Old Testament law.

Some people live in the law and traditional beliefs which control their daily life. I was never been in that predicament but helped those lost in this situation.

New believers before their were born again face traditional hang over to say before they are delivered. 

• 2 months later...

The Sabbath police hate anything that goes against the status quo. His healings goes against their world right now. They are considered the men of power at that time. If people were to start turning to Jesus, they would lose their positions. I feel that a lot of people have very hard hearts. They do not see the world past their nose. They blindly feel that they are perfect in their ideas and beliefs that they refuse to hear anything new. I feel that they Pharisees have the sin of ego and pride. Their pride got the best of them.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the "Sabbath police" (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they couldn't see God at work?  What is the sin of the Pharisees here?

Why are the "Sabbath police" (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed?  They are upset because of their over concern for the Sabbath but I believe that the underlying cause for their displeasure was that Jesus healed him on the Sabbath.

How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they couldn't see God at work?  There’s a very real danger of missing what God is doing in our lives if we put our trust in the laws of man and/or religious tradition over the real Word of God.  The Pharisees’ traditions according to the Mishnah say that the Jews couldn’t work on the Sabbath; because of their belief in man over God, they totally missed God at work.  We are human beings, and because we bring human frailty to the table, at times we tend to put earthly things ahead of the Lord’s work and as a result we all (me included) fall far short of His expectations.

What is the sin of the Pharisees hereThen Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”  In this case, as in most if not all cases, the Pharisee’s sin was to put man’s law (the Mishnah) ahead of God’s.  Instead of praising and glorifying God for sparing the invalid man, they invoked the laws of man.  Jesus said “Him only you shall serve”; as usual they chose to serve the rules of the temple over serving God.

• 5 months later...

The legalistic Pharisees were incensed to find the man who had just been healed walking home carrying his now-unnecessary mat. They interpreted this as work, which was forbidden on the Sabbath. They were more concerned with rule-keeping than with the activities of the One who made the rules. They were worshiping the Sabbath rather than the One who commanded it.

Oh, yes, I've encountered people in the church who were so intent on “the way we've always done it” that they had no clue what God was doing. For example, I led music ministry in my former church and once asked about the possibility of removing some seating in the choir loft in order to stage some drama for a musical presentation. From the response I got, you would have thought I suggested chopping the legs off and burning them in the middle of the sanctuary. The vision the Lord gave me for that event was not realized, and I believe the full intent He had designed for it was compromised because of their narrow vision and focus on their own set of rules.

The sin of the Pharisees was pride and arrogance in adding to what God ordained and in self-righteously passing judgment on people. In focusing on points of law rather than the glory of their miracle-working God, they entirely missed the deeper principle of mercy and the human element of wholeness that was most important to Yahweh. Jesus clarified their sin when He identified Himself as the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:28), meaning He had the right and authority to always be at work as He saw fit, even on the Sabbath. He also said that the Sabbath was created for man's benefit, not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27).

• 2 years later...

The reason that the Pharisees were so upset at the man who was healed on the Sabbath is because he was carrying his mat which they considered work. They were also upset that Jesus because he healed on the Sabbath. If you know what the rules are and you are following them then you can judge others that aren’t following the rules and know that you are better than they are. Yes, I have caught myself do that very thing. I think that the reason that churches split is because we aren’t satisfied about the way that things are going because that isn’t the “way we do things here”. I think the sin of the Pharisees here is pride.

• 7 months later...

The main reason is because it was because it was done on the Sabbath by the Lord Himself and they were opposed to Him to begin with. Also he was carrying the very mat he had laid for 38 years and they considered that a form of work as well. They were more intent on following rules then seeing that the Lord was glorifying his Father in all He was doing. They can be so intent in following rules and regulations in order to please authorities or others who hold control over you. Yes I have seen someone like that. A bunch of deacons basically destroyed the church by thinking things could be done better than were being done. What ended up happening is the church split not once but twice. The sin of the Pharisees is Pride!

• 5 months later...

The Pharisees sin is that they rejected Jesus for they did not believe He was the son of God. UNBELIEF is sin.  Jesus came to teach a new way to salvation which would full fill and do away with the law of Moses.  They did not understand and would not listen to the word of God.  The way of salvation is through Jesus Christ.  He is the promise that the old law is built on.  He came so that all men would have the same right to salvation as the Jews.  Here is where  He is to began His teachings to the religious leaders of the correct way to salvation.  The physical law of forgiveness is being done away with and the spiritual is now being taught. Keeping of the of law is no longer required.  Jesus is trying to show them a better way.  The only way that is being offered by God.  It has not changed from century to century, from generation to generation.  It is the same today. God has not changed His plan. Man is trying to change God's plan for their own benefit.  All of the many denominations and many different churches and ways of worship are confusing and man made religion.  This also is a rejection of Jesus. We must follow the plan of salvation that God has written for us in the New Testament.  Belief in Jesus as the son of God is necessary. There is no other way.  Then keep the commandments He gave us just as He gave us, no adding to them or subtracting from them.  LOVE..........""" if you love me, keep my commandments"".  Not the rules and commandments of self and man.  God's commandments.  The blind man was being introduced and taught as well .  He did not understand either.  When Jesus said go and sin no more, He was not saying that the man was blind because of his sin.  Jesus was saying , now you are healed, go and learn of me and do not sin, for the wages of sin is death.  Jesus is trying to prepare the people and teach them to receive the word of God on how to be forgiven of sin so that they may have eternal life with God.  Their salvation will be a spiritual one, based on what you belief with the heart. Belief in Jesus is the key and they rejected Him.  Jesus healed on the Sabbath Day to set an example and to show of the mercy of God.  Everything He did and everything He said was from God.  Jesus came to do the will of God His father.  He tells us that all through his ministry.  We need to believe and accept and follow and obey.

• 9 months later...

1.    Q3. (John 5:9-13) Why are the "sabbath police" (the Pharisees) so upset at the man who is healed? They are upset because in their zeal to interpret the law strictly, they go overboard as they consider themselves infallible without the need to revisit the relevant provision of the law as regards working on the Sabbath.

2.     How can a person be so intent on rules that they miss what God is doing? People become hard of heart because of self consciousness, being drunk with their social status. They focus on the rules that they have made instead of putting God first.

3.     Have you ever caught yourself doing that? Yes, as a parent I have been unreasonably strict on my children.

4.     Has someone in your church been so intent on "how we do things here" that they couldn't see God at work? Yes, a pastor was angry with a church elder who agreed with a lady to start building an ablution block and pay for it directly instead of giving the funds to the pastor to order that the work be done.

What is the sin of the Pharisees here? The sin of the Pharisees here is to worship the man-made rules rather than the Word of God; thus breaking the 3rd Commandment.

• 1 year later...

They were upset because it was against traditional rules.  Rabbinical authorities failed to grasp that God could not have ceased providential maintenance of the universe on the Sabbath.  He does only what he sees God the Father doing.   God the Father continues to work on the Sabbath in giving life and rewarding good and punishing evil.  Christ is totally obedient to his Father.

So true that some well meaning churches get into a rut and perhaps over emphasize the ordung of their founders.  They don't do outdoor evangelism, no revival nor healing services.   The church boards put so many crazy limits on pastors that genuine evangelical callings.