JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Light of the World

• 1 month later...

Jesus is the Light of the World in the sense that He, and only He, illumines God the Father to us.  Apart from Jesus, humanity is essentially in total darkness, unable to see the spiritual realm of God because of our blindness in sin.  Messiah came like the brilliant rising sun at dawn that breaks the darkness of night to reveal God and make Him known.

To His followers, Jesus promises that when we follow Him as the Way to God we won’t constantly flounder and stumble in darkness, always agonizing and wondering if we’re on the right path to eternal life or going the right way in the search for truth or taking the right steps at the right time as we seek to please the Father.  In Jesus, we can know that we know that we know we're headed in the right direction, even with our missteps and hesitations along the way.

For me, this means that as long as I have my eyes set on Jesus and His Word, I will have enough light at the right time to see where and how to go.  I may not know what’s around the next curve or over the next hill in this journey, but I’ll be able to see Him right in front of me leading my way.  Even facing so much unknown ahead, this is a confident and joyful place to be!  And as my Light, Jesus is the only One who can give precise illumination to my spiritual discernment and understanding.  He’s the completely accurate Truth with no shadows and variances that is the only One who can set me free from sin’s control both now and eternally. So my focus must be Him in order to walk in His light and live in victory over sin.

This wonderful old hymn comes to mind. The Light of the World is Jesus, Philip Bliss 1875

1. The whole world was lost in the darkness of sin.      3. Ye dwellers in darkness with sin-blinded eyes,        

The Light of the world is Jesus!                                    The Light of the world is Jesus!          

Like sunshine at noonday His glory shone in.              Go, wash at His bidding, and light will arise;    

The Light of the world is Jesus!                                    The Light of the world is Jesus!          

2. No darkness have we who in Jesus abide.                4. No need of the sunlight in Heaven we’re told;

The Light of the world is Jesus!                                     The Light of the world is Jesus!

We walk in the light when we follow our Guide.            The Lamb is the Light in the city of gold,

The Light of the world is Jesus!                                     The Light of the world is Jesus!

CHORUS

Come to the Light, ‘tis shining for thee.

Sweetly the Light has dawned upon me.

Once I was blind, but now I can see.

The Light of the world is Jesus!

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

According to the notes, the term "light" had special meaning during The Feast of the Tabernacles, which centred around the final harvest and the days of the Messiah.

John the apostle states that Jesus was the light of the world and that in him there is no darkness (John 1:4-5). He notes that mankind was given the light when Jesus came into the world (1:9). Mankind can also walk in darkness however they can choose to walk in the light (12:34-36). In addition the tendancy of mankind is to walk in the darkness rather than the light (3:19) - darkness seems to be equated with evil. The darkness however will not overcome the light (1:5).

Whover walks in the light knows where he or she is going and is a follower of Jesus. Mankind can put their trust in the light and if they do, become children of the light (12:36). Jesus promised that whoever follows him will never walk in darkness and will have the light of life (John 8:12).

The language above asumes that there is a spiritual state to this world as well as a physical state, however should influence believers actions, thoughts and words. The light equates with spiritual awareness of God the father and Jesus the son.

Jesus commands believers to be light to the world (Matt 5:14-16) The Light we have is not to be covered, but made obvious for all to see and benefit from, that they, too, may leave the darkness and come into the Light (http://www.gotquestions.org/light-of-the-world.html). In addition The Light is evident to others by the good deeds we do in faith and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World?

Jesus is the Light of the world in the sense that first of all He is the Creator of light...Gen 1:3 And God said: Let there be light: and there was light.

John 1:9 "There it was...the true Light was then coming into the world (the genuine, perfect, steadfast, Light) that illumines every person. He is "The Way, the Truth and the Life"...the revelation of His Father to a fallen, darkened world. He said "I Am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the Light which is Life "(John 8:12)  After His death and resurrection, His indwelling Holy Spirit becomes the Light in each believer who then become His light to their darkened corner of the world.

Colossians 2:3 tell us that In Jesus all the treasures of divine wisdom (comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God) and (all the riches of spiritual knowledge are stored up and hidden in Him. (amp)  Light in a world darkened and lost.

In Him was Life and Life was the Light of men, turning men from the power of Satan to God. (John:1:4)

What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers?

He promised that He will never leave us or forsake us...therefore we will never walk in darkness or alone.

Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

For me it means that no matter how great the trial, He is with me in suffering, comforting, supporting, encouraging. His Presence shining in the dark place. In times of insecurity, or uncertainty He guides my steps, one at a time as though shining a flashlight on the path unfolding before me. In times of lack, He reminds me that He is not only my treasure and reward, but my provider and keeper. I can live in confidence because He holds my hand and my future. He is the same yesterday, today and forever...in Him there is no shadow of turning. I learned in Sunday school "This little light of mine, I'm going to let It shine"....that is my life purpose...for Him to shine through me regardless of whatever state I am in...

(John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?       

• Jesus brings God's presence, protection and guidance.  All those who follow him will always have light to guide them.  It means that salvation will come to those that follow Jesus and obey his word.   Jesus lights the path ahead of us so we can see how to live, no reason to stumble in darkness. 

(John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live? 

Jesus is the Light of the world in contrast to the darkness where wickedness and evil thrives. The Light shines on and dispels the darkness and is representative of truth, love and openness. Jesus' promise concerning light for His followers is that by following Him they will never walk in darkness but will always have light (i.e. Jesus) to guide them.

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

Jesus is the Light of the World in the sense that anyone who believes in him and obey his world will walk in the path of righteousness by the power and direction of the spirit of Christ in him.

Jesus promised his followers that they would never walk in darkness because he would guide walk aright.

It means Jesus guides his children to live right.

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

The sun is physical light and Jesus is spiritual light.  Light shows the way, exposes deeds of darkness, lets us see each other, the beauty or ugliness around us.

His promise is that those who follow Him shall not walk in darkness, stumbling around and not knowing where they are going but shall have His light so we may walk in His light.

For me I want to walk worthy of the Lord, to walk in His light, I want to read His Word, meditate on it and pray at all times.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

1.Death brings eternal darkness and only Christ's eternal life planted in us will keep us alive in His new Kingdom for eternity.

2. His promise is that He will give to the ones that believes hope and light of His eternal life. It can't be bought it is a gift of our Savior Jesus Christ. 

3. We have to live for our Savior Jesus Christ. We have to read His word daily. Darkness is when we don't have Jesus in our lives.

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

In the sense that Jesus is the light of the world is the fact that he has come to proclaim the gospel, the word that God the Father had given him to herald.

Jesus promise concerning the light for his followers was that Jesus told them that if they hold to his teachings they would know the truth and the truth will set them free.

For followers today there are many distractions to keep us from following Christ as he had commanded. Believing in his words and that they were truth from God, would more than convince us Jesus is who he said he was.     

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World?

What more appropriate time for Yeshua to proclaim, “He is the Light of the World” than on the last day of the Feast of Booths/Tabernacles, a pilgrim festival which all Jews were required to go up to Jerusalem, a feast that emphasizes salvation, illuminated by that of “light” the expectation of the Messiah to come, the “Light of the World”.

Q2. What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers?

The promise to those who follow after the Messiah is that they will walk in the newness of life.

Q3. Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

We are to live a life that is worthy of our calling, our desire is to no longer walk in darkness, that of sin, how sad that many do not want to walk in the LIGHT, that of righteousness, because they prefer to walk in darkness, that of sin, however, for we who choose to walk in the “light”, we “WILL” not walk in darkness, that of lasciviousness, greediness and pride, for our calling is walk in God’s commandments, the reason being, is that the “LIGHT” as written them on our circumcised hearts.

What a joy it is to follow after the Light, it is not a yoke.

Q1. (John 8:12) 

In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? 

What is Jesus' promise concerning light for His followers? 

We all walk in total darkness, in the darkness of sin, ignorance, and aimlessness, until our Lord Jesus comes into our lives and brings life and immortality. He lights up and points the way. Also, without Him there is no deliverance from the darkness of sin – He paid the price for our sin. Without the ‘Light of the World’ we are in spiritual darkness, and trapped in the unfruitful works of darkness: “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them (Ephesians 5:11). So by following Jesus we receive His Word and yield to Him in body, soul, and spirit. This is a full commitment. Which reminds me of one of my favourite verses in Scripture: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make straight your paths (Proverbs 3:5-6). We obey His commandments out of love: ‘If you love me, you will keep my commandments (John 14:15). It is an acknowledgement of Him in every area of our lives, and He will light up our paths and make them straight. We come to Him in in repentance, and to believe on Him. Apart from Him, there is no deliverance from the blackness of sin, there is no guidance along the way of life, no knowledge as to the real meaning of life and the issues of eternity. Jesus promised that anyone following Him would not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.

Jesus is the Light of the World because he is the hope of the world.  We talk about the darkness of despair, light is the opposite.  We need to follow that light of hope in order to reach salvation.  ‘Following’ does not mean just studying as an intellectual exercise, but actually living our lives according to Jesus’ example, with passion, so that we too become lights for others to follow. 

I have often heard the analogy of a candle.  Other candles can take their light from it without making the original candle weaker.  Then other candles can be lit from those ones.  Gradually the light from the multiplying candles becomes more and more powerful.

• 3 weeks later...

We here in this school have for sure learned enough, there is no turning back; there is no excuse for getting lost along the way. Any yet it happens, we stray, we of little faith. 

Is "constant prayer" enough? It means a serious wake up meditation and praise to God that we are still here, surrounded by His light, that we made it through the night so there is still something God wants us to do for His kingdom, today.

That is the "best" way to live in and for the nourishment of His light in us and upon us.

Q1. (John 8:12)

In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World?

Before we don't know Jesus, we all live in darkness. God have mercy and grace towards us and send his only son Jesus to give us light.

Not knowing Jesus is darkness or dead spiritually. Having known Jesus is light or spiritual life.

John 1:4-5 (KJV)
4  In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5  And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 8:12 (KJV)
12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

What is Jesus’ promise concerning light for his followers?

He that believed in Jesus will no longer be dead-darkness, you will continue to follow him with light of life.

John 8:12b (KJV) he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

By the grace of God through Jesus Christ he gave me light and now I have life and continue following him and living to glorify God the Father. Amen.

Romans 15:6 (KJV)
6  That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

a. In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World?  Jesus is the Light - the truth- which illuminates our path, enables us to keep from stumbling. Light is a metaphor for providing understanding and wisdom (truth).

b.  What does Jesus promise concerning the Light?

That he is the Light of the world. He (the person) gives this light and is the light.

This light will drive out all darkness. If we follow him we will not walk in darkness.

This light gives life. It enables us to live.

Elsewhere this light/truth will result in our really being His disciples and that we will know the truth and this truth will set us free (john 8:31-32)

c. What does this mean for the way you live? If we are obedient, that is, follow Him, hold to His teachings, we will be in the light and know the truth. It means that each day I must seek Him, look to Him and follow his commands, that is, love my neighbor as Jesus has loved me. The truth and light- is in the doing and being.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers? Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?What Jesus taught and what he did are tied inseparably to who he is.

John shows Jesus as fully human and fully God. Although Jesus took upon himself full humanity and lived as a man, he never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed, the Creator and Sustainer of all things, and the source of eternal life. This is the truth about Jesus, and the foundation of all truth. If we cannot or do not believe this basic truth, we will not have enough faith to trust our eternal destiny to him. That is why John wrote this Gospel—to build faith and confidence in Jesus Christ so that we may believe that he truly was and is the Son of God

Jesus was speaking in the part of the Temple where the offerings were put (8:20), where candles burned to symbolize the pillar of fire that led the people of Israel through the wilderness (Exodus 13:21, 22). In this context, Jesus called himself the light of the world. The pillar of fire represented God’s presence, protection, and guidance. Jesus brings God’s presence, protection, and guidance. Is he the light of your world?

What does it mean to follow Christ? As a soldier follows his captain, so we should follow Christ, our commander. As a slave follows his master, so we should follow Christ, our Lord. As we follow the advice of a trusted counselor, so we should follow Jesus’ commands to us in Scripture. As we follow the laws of our nation, so we should follow the laws of the Kingdom of Heaven.

• 2 months later...

Jesus has and is called the Light of the World. His teachings have brought about a new way of living. He lightened the rules of worshipping God. He enlightened us to the real meaning of the laws handed down by the Father. He gave us truth in the words of the bible. He showed us how to live by those words. He gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit. With this gift, our hearts and souls actually have grown and shine with the love of God. We glow with this grace. With him in our hearts and souls, we will never have to fear the darkness. We will always walk in the light.

I now have a much lighter step. I walk in the light of the Lord. I understand more of the bible now than before. I learned how to be a true Christian. I still have doubts and fears, but I find that my heart and soul are comforted and refreshed with prayer and worship of the Lord. I know how to reach out for help that I never had before. I find it a lot easier to resist temptation from the dark one.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 8:12)  In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World?  What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers?  Exactly what does that mean for the way you live?

Those who follow Christ don’t have to walk in the darkness brought about by their sin.

Those who enter into fellowship with Him will walk in the light, just as He is in the light.  His followers will then become light themselves and will be His torchbearers for others.  In Matthew 5:14, Jesus says You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.

I believe I’ve become a much more credible witness for Christ.  I’ve been in the darkness and since Jesus lit a path for me, I’ve never hesitated to use my own life experiences as a model for others.  I pray every day that just one person can benefit from my mistakes so that they, too, can leave the darkness and come into the Light.  In all honesty, if Jesus can change this sinner’s life, He is the light of the world and if He can do it in me, He can certainly do the same thing for others.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Jesus enlightens us to what we have done that is sin and shows us in His Word how to repent of it and become one of His. He shows us the way to the Father and also the way to Heaven. Jesus promised He will be our light. That means we need to follow Him but it also means we need to submit ourselves to Him and do His will. 

• 1 year later...

1.    Q1. (John 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the Light of the World? Jesus is the Light of the World in the sense that through the Holy Spirit indwelling within us we have God’s presence, we are assured of His protection, as well as His everlasting guidance.

2.     What is Jesus' promise concerning light for his followers? Jesus’ promisefor his followers is protection from sin leading to eternal life with God.

3.    Exactly what does that mean for the way you live? It means I must not focus on the value systems of this world; but follow in Jesus footsteps and try hard to heed God’s voice.

• 1 year later...

Christ is the real light of the world not the festal torch.   Christ bears WITNESS to himself and HIS JUDGEMENT is true.  Christ's light shines on all other objects.  Christ reveals the real nature, origin and destiny of all other men.   The world cannot reveal anything of his destiny to him nor spread light to Christ.

Christ alone bestows life; Christ alone knows fully his origin and destiny.   He can guide men on their spiritual journeys their destinies prepared for them by the Father. Jesus is the light, the divine life.  In our world of darkness, Christ has brought divine light to invade the darkness.  We have a  final clarion call of illumination.

Sanctified living.  The world, flesh and the devil are under feet.  We now possess this ZOE--Gods life, unending life.   We can believe in God now for the forgiveness of sins and physical healing.  St Paul repeatedly mentions that we are now new creatures in Christ.   Those that have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.   We can cooperate with God by HIS GRACE ALONE to live a sanctified life.   This is also very crucial in avoidance of doctrinal errors and sinfull living.  The centrality of Christ's priesthood after the Ascension is paramount for the Christain.   Jesus Christ is our Joshua interceeding for us here on earth; we have access to the Holy of Holies.   So now we go glory to glory as we live a sanctified life.