JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Refining Faith

God has used many circumstances to refine and purify my faith, but the one that stands out the most was done through my job. I was promoted to a principal unexpectedly 3 years ago. I was at first very excited about the position, but quickly realized that this was no easy job (not that I expected it to be). Without sharing all of my experiences, I can definitely say that God used this opportunity to bring me to my knees, on many occassions! There were times when I realized that I had no one to vent to, count on, or share with (at least no one that I could trust) except for the Lord! I had never been in a situation where I felt disliked, talked about, critisized, overwhelmed---all at the same time. I usually give my job my everything--well I came to literally hate it! God beat a lot of stuff out of me in the 2 years that I was in the position. He brought me much closer to Him; taught me how to pray; made me realize how I had been allowing my job to be my god. He taught me a lot about Him and even more about myself. He losed the chains of pride and the need to be liked by others. He also showed me the importance of my family and how I had not been focused on them the way I should have been--my 1st ministry was definitely not being treated as such.

Geniune, tested faith, brings glory to Jesus because He is able to show himself strong when we are reduced. Also others can truly see the work that God can do when a believer is tested and when the believer truly allows God to do His work in them.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time that the Lord was working with me and I just wouldn't submit to Him until one particular time in my life that I had to go through a very difficult time in my life. For my daughter had to go through surgery for about twelve to fifteen hours, which really got my attention and brought me to my knee's and changed my life forever. Since that time I have submitted to preach the gospel for our Lord and serve Him by serving others. There has been many other difficult situations in my life since that has even made me stronger and brought me closer to the Lord. Even a time such as my son being diagnosed with Leukemia at four years old which I was Blessed to see the power of God to Heal Him, Amen,. There are so many things we go through in life that we struggle with but we don't have to go through them alone, praise God.

Even though trials are hard, when other people see you go through these trials and see how you trust in Jesus to get you through it can change there life just as it has yours and that brings glory to Jesus Christ when we can lift Him up before others.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

I have been sifted alot and at times I want to deal with it myself but then remember to let God handle it and I have seen him work in many instances and it has made me stronger and i keep asking daily for strength to overcome all things

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

Oh yes. He brought me closer to him by trusting him more by seeing that without him I have no hope, peace, or joy. Because it shows his great love towards us and his power over any situation.

• 2 weeks later...

yes.many!when i waited for the right man to marry and through the waiting i acquired patience.Under intensive pressure and stress a cristian of genuine faith will always seek the lord first no matter what.magnifying jesus in the middle of any turmoil always brings glory to god.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1:6-7)

Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith?

What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

This happened many times when I was younger. However, I did not at that time, have a personal relationship with our Lord. I knew of Him and that was all. I would battle on my own; not knowing help was nearby

I can definitely think of times in my life God used to refine and purify my faith. God showed me where I had been wrong and what was most important in life, how I should be living for him and not my own selfish desires. Genuine tested faith brings glory to God because it survives when everything else falls away. It's still there when every thing else is in tatters.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately too many times to list. I have fallen and He has picked me up many times.

Each time I grow a little more, learn a little more, trust a little more.

As I grow more of Christ and the Holy Spirit live in me and in turn are shown to others through me. My prayer is tht he shines through is all I do.

• 1 month later...

If we walk closely with the Lord then, to some extent, all circumstances refine our faith. This is the walk of faith, where each decision is considered after specific or general pray and meditation, on God, on His Word and on His great works. When we are tested through difficult circumstances, it seems like we are pushed to a limit, which more than encourages - even forces us - us to turn to God and submit to His ways, always trusting Him.

In my case, moving from an unpleasant situation in a large company, where life became very difficult, I started my own business. This brought much uncertainty and a 'big unknown' to me but I realised that God is not surprised by anything so it became a matter of much prayer and trying to centre myself and submit to Him. It required surrender, as taught to me, when things did not go as smoothly as expected. All the way through the difficulties of starting one's own business, while I did not always get what I wanted, the Lord provided encouragement along the way through many people who came across my path. He is able; He is faithful. As a results of this, I feel that I know him better and that my daily communication and communion with Him is closer. I have developed more confidence in that I am able to say, with some excitement in my heart, "Lord, I wonder what you are doing now?" when things look like they are going bad, instead of worrying in case I get hurt or loose out somehow.

To me, God is glorified in our weakness. When we are weak or incapable of doing something and God brings it about, He is glorified, not us. When we are tested and feel vulnerable and perhaps not succeeding in what we are endeavouring to do, and the result is positive, the results can only be ascribed to God and He is glorified. In all my attemps at finding work in my own business, much of it came through other's approaching me, not me, them. I realised and so did my familiy realise that God was at work and it was He who should be recognised and receive the glory; not me. He must receive all the glory! That means I have to get out of teh way, lest I or anyone else start applauding me above God.

• 1 month later...

My family seemed real close and loving and we spent a lot of time together. A lot of under lying stuff split our family apart. Because of this I started to look inside and saw sin and faults I hadn't seen before. I always tell God I don't want to miss anything he has for me to learn. He is GOOD. I spend more time studying and I love sharing what I learn and my gift is encouraging others. I have such peace about our family.

• 4 months later...

For many years I had been angry with God and had actually been blaming him for the adversities I had been dealing with; mainly negative, unsaved family members, an unsaved spouse and a child who struggles with developmental issues. It has only been very recently that I realized that God IS the One who has actually been helping me deal with this mess and helping me to go through without feeling like I'm losing my mind.God has been using these difficulties to grow and refine my faith, to one day bring glory to His name, but I was so busy complaining and being angry I couldn't even see what He was doing until now.

• 2 months later...

Oh yes I can, just recently actually. By far one of the greatest tests ever...without him I wouldn't have kept my sanity... but through this he made me realize some things of myself that I needed to get rid of. Also how much I truly love my husband and need to cherish this gift he has given to me. I think tested faith gives glory to Jesus by showing us that without our Savior...we are weak...

Yes I can actually just recently. My wife and I were placed in a situation that only God could have brought us out of both physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially. I realized how much I actually loved my wife and my family and made me grateful life.Genuine faith brings glory to Jesus because when we know that it is Him all along that is helping us through..the more we will want to worship Him and tell others about Him.

• 2 months later...

For many years I suffered great anxiety in difficult situations, particularly financial. Several years ago, God taught me through some rather distressing financial circumstances that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS he has got my life in his hands and he will never let anything hurt me. Not even death can separate me from his love and compassion. My family and friends, ie..people are the most important and valuable things in life, not material positions. In the end, God taught me through this situation what is really important to HIM and I learned that what ever the situation, God will get me through.

For many years I suffered great anxiety in difficult situations, particularly financial. Several years ago, God taught me through some rather distressing financial circumstances that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS he has got my life in his hands and he will never let anything hurt me. Not even death can separate me from his love and compassion. My family and friends, ie..people are the most important and valuable things in life, not material positions. In the end, God taught me through this situation what is really important to HIM and I learned that what ever the situation, God will get me through.

• 4 weeks later...

I can remember instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith. God has made it so that I can depend on him more and look to him for answers. The way that this tested faith brings glory to Jesus is that we will tell others what He has done for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Just looking back over the the first half of this year, I have been stretched at work, family situations, my health & my relationships with friends. At times it seems easier to just give up than to press on through! But looking back I am beginning to trust Jesus for more and more as the circumstances seem totally impossible in the natural. I guess the more times we are refined in one area, the harder it is to get rid of the last bit of rubbish but the purer the end product. Trials force us to run to God or away from Him; we can choose to be more like Him and learn through the process or walk away from God's truth.

When we walk in genuine faith, we represent Jesus to others as though He were right infront of them. Our faith reflects His glory in our actions and then results in the world being more confirmed to His image.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? Yes. First of all, it was during a very difficult period of my life that I first turned to God and found Him standing right there next to me. The difficulties which had seemed to me enormous and impossible to overcome did not disappear, but from that moment, I knew that God was in control. That was just over 2 years ago. Since then the knot of problems has, with God's help, begun to unravel. There are still difficulties but over the course of the past 2 years, time and time again, I have seen God working to protect me and to provide for me and by that experience I have come to trust Him more and more. In that way, the difficulties which I have been through and sometimes continue to go through both kindled my faith and, each time I lean on God in difficult times, strengthens it.

How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus? It testing brings the person whose faith is being tested closer to God and each refinement makes that person more and more like Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,many time I have went through the fire and my faith in God and prayer have kept me going. He has always been there with me just as he promised and when I come through and give Him praise and thanks I know he is like any proud father when his child accomplishes a new thing filled with pride. God used those times to grow me and my faith and instill in men that He is always there and will never leave me nor forsake me. Tested faith brings glory to Jesus when we like He finish or task that the Father has given us well.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith?

I've suffered for thirty years with agoraphobia. Had to quit my job when it became too difficult to leave the house. On top of that, exposure to deadly chemicals caused a tumor to grow on my pituitary gland and it no longer functions. On top of that, I was in permanent 24/7 panic attack mode and felt sick enough to puke 24/7. I had to take anti-nausea tablets just so I could eat. I must have prayed to God a million times to heal me and He didn't. Eventually I underwent counseling because my sister thought there could be a spiritual component to my problems. That really helped me and taught me a greater reliance on God. I can't help thinking, though, that it was a pretty callous and brutal way for God to help my faith. I felt like I was living in hell.

What did God accomplish in your life?

Well for one thing He made me useful again. When I was really bad I could barely function. Couldn't go out without a big dose of tranquilizers to settle me down enough to leave the house.

How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

You're asking the wrong guy

• 6 months later...

4a)Yes Jesus has refined me during past illnesses/ current trials and through this increased my dependence on Him,& strengthened my faith.

B)He rescued me, given me hope in dark times,put me on the right tract and now equips me everyday through Holy Spirit empowering me to persevere thro challenges.

C)The evidence of Jesus being our living Lord in our actions for others and words of comfort, peace, hope in Jesus gives glory to Him.

• 4 months later...

Through the most difficult time in my life, I prayed and I felt God's presence beside me and He gave me a peace I had never known in my life. I got through that and I soon left Him thinking I was all right and that He would be there if I needed him. It took awhile for God to teach me that if I wanted him to be my friend I needed to get to know him better like I would any friend and to spend time with Him and allow Him to live within me and not just be there when I felt i needed Him. That advice is what really changed my life. He began to show me one thing at a time that I needed to deal with and He showed me not only how to deal with it but placed others in my life to help me to deal with these issues that I thought were over and in the past. He helped me to see that the way I had coped with life is to just move forward and to pretend the bad never existed. This can and was a good thing for me , but what I realized was that , in doing this I had not really dealt with the bad and learned and healed from it the way He wanted me to. Sometimes we move on thinking we have moved past an issue when that issue is tucked deep down inside of us and needs to surface in a way that is productive and will heal and teach us how to move on in a better way and to accept all the love our heavenly Father wants to give us. I believe it also helps us to not allow the bad to have any more power over our lives and to rid us of it. Lynn

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

In losing my daughter one year and a half ago, God has shown me his power in my life. My ex-wife and current wife and me have been responsible for raising her children and I see lives being changed because our lose. We have been doing counseling with the kids and that has been powerful. to see how the kids have react to the counseling has been mind blowing. They watch there mother die and I don't know any other way to look at it and try and understand unless I allow God to lead me in this process. It hasn't been an all out sad thing. I have watch some amazing things happen with my ex and my wife and me in healing. Also in talking and working with the kids I have been blown away about some of there reactions in talking about their mom and life in general. Our family is going threw a serious healing process and I know God wants me to be the man of God to lead us threw.

• 3 weeks later...

About 15 years ago I had a physical problem that kept me from participating in society for a few months. Once God started to heal me of this condition, I was able to think clearly and God worked in me to refine my faith. Since I was at a well-connected Bible college, I was able to grow in faith through prayer groups, worship services, Bible reading, and excellent Bible teaching. Genuine, tested faith brings glory to Jesus because it shows that I am approved by God and He is faithful to work in me through all circumstances.