JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The mindset of a priest toward God in the old testament was to be a mediator between God and His people.

In the new testament he is a priest of royal service to the Lord. As priests we are to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God. :rolleyes:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2.5) Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

The mindset of a priest towards God is that of a servant. To me this means following the commands of the Lord and being available to those around me as the Lord directs. This mindset inspires a call to action to be as service oriented as possible and to be as available to help my community and those in need as much as possible, and to be a witness to others not only in actions by by an example in my every day life.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (2.5) Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

A heart for God and walking in rightousness. Teaching the Word of God to those whom God directs. The priest is an example of Holiness.

This inspires in me to continue in Gods' Word, and not conform to the ways of the world so as to deceive the people, but to offer myself up to God for His use, daily.

• 2 weeks later...

(a) The mindset of a priest towards Godis one primarily of fear, meaning a deep-seated reverence and a sense of awe. He is conscientious to a fault and disciplined in his devotion to his responsibilities as one who represents God to the people and vice versa.

(B) These actions inspire me to avoid being casual and disrespectful when I approach God or when i teach or preach from His Word. It inspires gratitude to think that He has chosen me to be included in His holy priesthood and holy nation! It inspires responsibility and accountability in everything I do.

I believe that most look at the priest as the mediator between them and God. That they need them to communicate with God. But they are there to help guide us too find him and to show us the way to eternal life.

This mindset help me work on talking to God and working for him and not for myself. Helping others to see him and to know that they too can be saved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The mindset is to serve God with all diligence. That we should seek to follow him in obedience. Being a priest shouldnt be looked on as a position of which one boasts but one of servitude and as a person who wants to worship God and thank him for all that he has done.

• 2 months later...

The mindset of a priest is servanthood. He desires to serve God with purity of heart. He desires to obey every command. He realizes the weight of responsibility for the people of God.

As I contemplate this mindset, I am inspired. 1 Peter 2:9 says: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood..." God wants us to have this mindset of purity, obedience, responsibility. I think I will make it a priority each morning to consider this mindset.

When I think of priest hood I imagine that a lot is expected of them because of their position. Maybe God expects more of me. More than I have been giving.

• 6 months later...

Quite true most Christians see God as the giver, but as His 'priests' we must be worshippers. The kind He loks for who worships in spirit and it truth. As a wtrue worshipper you must gorget self and focus all your attention on God. Become the 'living sacrifice' Paul talks about in Romans 12:1,2.

Quite true most Christians see God as the giver, but as His 'priests' we must be worshippers. The kind He looks for who worships in spirit and in truth. As a true worshipper you must forget self and focus all your attention on God. Become the 'living sacrifice' Paul talks about in Romans 12:1,2.

The mindset of a priest towards God should be one with a reverential fear. It's an honour to be able to sit in God's presence anytime, anywhere. But with this comes a great responsibliliy. We need to give God ALL of ourselves, (all of our hearts) when we worship HIm. Its not about us, it's about praising and thanking God for who He is and what He means to us (personally.)

This inspires me to give God my "ALL." To forget abut myself and my needs when I worship Him and give Him my heart, my life adn the worship He is so worthy of.

• 1 year later...

They sometime think that doing all the right things that would compensate for all the they would ask of God. We are bought with a price and never de serve what a gracious God bestows upon us. This inspires me to humbly come before His throne but also am told I can boldy approach the throne.

• 2 weeks later...

The mind set of a priest is to offer service (or sacrifice) and worship to God. It is also to be part of a priesthood which dedicates its life to this and to play what ever designated role that is assigned to them. I must also act in the same way. In my life my sacrifice or service should be living a life based on the teachings of Jesus and His apostles which is worthy of one who is a child or a priest of God. A way of life which brings honour and glory to His name. As a priest I am called to this service as the primary purpose of my life. I have dedicated myself to Him. It is also a mindset which directs my prayer and worship towards God; not as a supplicant but to praise, honour and worship Him. This is a spiritual offering from the heart which I hope will be pleasing to Him. As a member of a priesthood, a living priesthood, I must offer my talents for the use of the church. I must be an active member of my church: one of the rocks out of which it is constructed.

I see people saying "servant". What is the difference between a son, a servant and a slave? What servants best exemplify what you mean when you say servant? What servants do the worst? Someone said we should bring God the glory? Where does this glory come from that we should bring to him? How do we collect it?

I wonder, shouldn't our role be to show the glory that God already possesses to those who who need to see his glory instead of the other way around?

Are we to go to God on behalf of others, or to others on behalf of God?

What does "redeeming the time at hand" mean? What does "preferring one another" mean? For what and over what?

Also, are we to be then to be consumed by God, or are we talking about a process in which nothing is consumed or something altogether different? How does consumption play a role in things anyways?

To continue the son, servant, slave, chain, what about puppets?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The priests of old used to represent the people of GOd by presenting the sacrifices toHim on the altar and once a year the high priest would go to the holy of holies(still representing the people of God)The high priest had to be clean or else the wrath of God killed him and the rope that was ties to his led would lead him out.

Likewise since we are priests, we should present our members(our bodies, minds, will, emotions,) to Him pure, holy, sanctified and acceptable to Him.There should be no strange fires rising up to the Lord(hypocrisy and all)Our focus should be on keeping the camp( our bodies,spirit,minds,will,emotions)holy and clean,free from and sort of defilement (wrath,murmurings,immoral lives,coarse joking,impurity, demonic entrances of sorts etc) and all these other things shall be added unto us.(God'll bless us with a blessing when we seek Him first)

This mindset will inspire us to live for God and as we continually battle to live this mindset out in our daily lives it becomes more important to us, we realise His plans,ways and love are much higher and more fulfilling causing us to want to live seeking more of His heart and will and do His good pleasure...

I think I talk too much..hope that helps

God bless you

Twinkling

• 6 months later...

The mindset of a priest towards God is one of action. That is active worship and sacrifice to God. It is giving to God and others. It involves not only worshipping God, but permitting God to minister to others through us.

It inspires me to want to act as a priest in the Biblical sense.

• 7 months later...
The mindset of a priest towards God is one of action. That is active worship and sacrifice to God. It is giving to God and others. It involves not only worshipping God, but permitting God to minister to others through us.

It inspires me to want to act as a priest in the Biblical sense.

I am loving this study and today the system is allowing me to answer BUT all answers I have seen thus far are from 2007. I can't seem to join my class for 2008. However, I have enjoyed reading the 2007 answers and I feel the same. As a priest, as a lover of Christ and someone in total awe and appreciation to the Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit, it is my heart's desire to serve and to make my life a ministry unto itself. I know Jesus is the only perfect one but I want to strive to be as much like Jesus as I can, knowing I will always fall short. But I WANT to make the effort to consider His way as my way. I love Him...He loves people...Therefore I should love people and do what I can to show that I know Him and to tell others I know Him so they in turn can come to know Him or if they already know Him, I hope to encourage them to have a servant's heart & spirit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

" As you come to God." Peter is assuming that we are coming to Him, And as such this is the beginning of our walk with the Lord. But coming to Him we should have an anticipation of His personal touch in our lives.

Jesus wants us to come to Him with expection; not necessarily expecting what we want, but what He wants for us, knowing that what ever He wants of us He will give us the grace to go through. As we take His yoke upon us we will find rest for our souls.

As we follow Him He will always lead us to paths of righteousness and like a deer who pants for waters He will give us refreshment in Himself.

But when we come to Him we must come with an understanding that He is who He says He is. That's why we can trust Him, Peter says, " And coming to Him as a living stone."

Sometimes we may find ourselves looking at this stone and wondering, can people be wrong? So many deem this stone of little value. Though we may not conciously say it, at times we begin to act as though this stone is of little value.

In verse 5 we can appreciate why this living stone is so important and what this living stone has done in our lives. ( 1 Peter 2:5 ) " You also,like a living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a Holy Priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."

God's master plan as a Master builder is to unite us with Him in this living hope and to use us to build a future for the dying world. But this future is found only on the living Stone, Jesus Christ. We are His Stones which He has cut out for a special purpose, to build up as a Spiritual house

In Short, a priesthood is meant to give a picture that we represent our Great Hight Priest, Jesus Christ, As priests we have a purpose in this world.

A priest is one who has access to God. And we believers in Christ have such a relationship. A priest is one who extends God's love to others as we bridge the gap to people with the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the mindset of a priest, of whom I am one, in the New Covenant, as bringing people to God. It is the idea of ministering to people, to present them as holy, sanctified to God. We are all a ' Royal Priesthood' once we have accepted Christ into our hearts, and it is up to us to have others understand that Christ is the 'cornerstone' of His temple, this being the body of believers.

It inspires me to : 1] Set a righteous and holy example. 2] To have others see my obedience to the Gospel 3] To live in such a way that others can find no fault in me. 3] to actively proclaim the Gospel to others. 4] To love 'my neighbour' as Christ commanded me to do.

i feel it is towards the life of service to god or more importantly to the service of others.it inspires me to always try to focus on what my responsibility is to others.

• 5 weeks later...