Father, Where shall I work today?

And my love flowed warm and free.

Then He pointed me out a tiny spot and said,

"Tend that for me."

I answered quickly, "Oh, no, not that.

Why, no one would ever see

No matter how well my work was done.

Not that little place for me."

And the word He spoke, it was not stern.

He answered me tenderly,

"Ah, little one, search that heart of thine.

Art thou working for them or me?

Nazareth was a little place,

and so was Galilee.

I love this poem because it came at a time when I was unsure what God wanted me to do for Him. I thought something specific was sure to come up on a daily or at least weekly basis. It occured to me that I was His priest daily, redeeming the time at hand. I think that's why some people are consumers of Christ. They sit around wondering when the next blessing is going to come around instead of starting everyday with worship and moving out to redeem the time at hand. We are called where we are. There's nothing wrong with that. God has put us all in a unique place in our lives where He needs us. So when He calls us or puts something on our hearts it does us well to hear Him and obey. Though things are not perfect, I don't dwell on that. I'm not always looking for the next blessing. If I'm carrying out my priestly duties where I am then I know God will bless me. And, I always remember that the true blessing is victory in Christ and my home in heaven that awaits me. When God needs me I'm ready, He knows what I'm ready for, too. I'm inspired everyday, knowing with great joy that God will be with me and will have something for me to do for Him everyday of my life. B)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mindset of a priest is to be of service to God(servant of the Lord). We as individual should have the same mindset. This is our mission to give service to the Lord and to bring others to the Lord. This mindset makes us long for the Lord, to be more like Him, to walk with Him, to talk like Him, to glorify Him, to give reverence unto Him, and to do whatever we can to bring others to Christ.

Christians often look to God as consumers, delighting in what god does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? Wht actions does this mindset inspire in you?

The mindset of a priest towards God is to offer up spiritual sacrifices. In the Old Testament days before Jesus it was the blood of an animal and it was costly. You brought the animal to the priest and watched as it was killed and it died. It should have been a heartwretching thing knowing that an innocent animal was dying for your sins and it should have brought about a grateful attitude that God made a way to be acceptable in His sight. For many it was like this and for others it was just a ritual without much meaning.

Today we offer up spiritual sacrifices because the blood of Jesus atoned for all of our sins. We do this through praise. "We bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord". This may seem easy when things are going well but when they are not it is a sacrifice which we willingly (should) give to our Lord who gave so much to us. It should be automatic. Quite often I find in me it is not what I want it to be. Today it is the same as the OT days. There are those who are understanding of the greatest sacrifice ever made and who receive it with grateful humble hearts and there are those who just take it for granted or at least don't give it much thought. I'm afraid all to often that applies to me also. The longer I know the Lord and try to walk with Him the more I realise the ways I fail and need to do bettter, to be pleasing in His Sight.

God Bless,

Jen

Christians often look to God as consumers, delighting in what god does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? Wht actions does this mindset inspire in you?

Of course, I delight in what God has done for me; I am so grateful that His Son shed His precious blood so that I can be free and experience eternal life with Him. And I admit, I do enjoy God's blessings because He loves me like no one else can. However, this is not the reason I love Him. I love Him because of Who He is, the Almighty God, and I do have the mindset of a priest towards Him. I love Him, and I serve Him to the best of my ability, as a priest should serve God. I seek His will daily for my life, and I pray that He will use me as a vessel to let His love flow through me to others, so they can know what Christ can do for them.

This mindset of a priest inspires me to continue spreading God's love wherever I go, and to strive to do the things that are pleasing to Him.

Instead of asking what God will do for us, a priest would ask what he or she could do for God. Unfortunately, while I want to be a servant, my heart sometimes is not that willing. Servanthood does not come naturally, which is why we need the Holy Spirit in our lives to move us to do those things we might not otherwise do.

Q1. (2.5) Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

As infants all focus is upon its own needs of the moment, a self-centred life. Parents of course do not resent meeting the needs of their children and with joy feed and tend to every need, perceived and real, of their child whom they love. However as that little bundle of joy grows, it is required and expected that he would take the responsibility of more of its own care. The defining trait of maturity is being able to reach out beyond ones self to meet the needs of another. The parallel holds true in the spiritual as well. When we are born anew into the kingdom of God we are exactly as babes. We cry out to our loving Father to comfort us, to deliver us, to make us happy, to provide the things that we think we should have. Our focus is squarely upon ourselves and what God can give. Often He obliges, loving patient and kind that He is. However there is a time to grow beyond the milk and self-centredness and begin to walk in the purpose that God has for each of our lives. Growing up can be so painful!

Just what might this be? 1 Peter tells us that we are to be priests unto our God. Hebrews 5:1 "For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things [pertaining] to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins: :2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. :3 And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins." We may be the only Jesus this hurtin' world may ever see. We are His hand extended 2 Corinthians 5:20 "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ

We should have the mindset of pleasing God and not think so much about pleasing self. We want to be pleasing in the eye-sight of God. We are a royal priesthood, what an honor, not because of what we did but because of what Jesus did. We need to have the mindset of giving our best from the heart not just lip service. We all can come boldly before the throne of grace.

A priest always offered up sacrifices. Christians as priests live a sacrificial life (living sacrifice), preferring one another, (we cannot love God whom we cannot see if we cannot love people whom we can see!). We are looking for every opportunity to bless someone, for wisdom to win hearts to Jesus, for truth to light the path. The Christian/priest thinks about others before himself, ministers carefully to his/her family, (1 Tim 3:12), offers a daily sacrifice of praise and worship to the Most High God, waiting upon Him.

This mindset tells me that my life is about (i) Jesus, (ii) people, (iii) my own needs. (" J-o-y, j-o-y, this is what it means, Jesus first, yourself last, and others in between" to quote the children's song) I must spend daily time with Jesus so as to be on track with Him. I must seek opportunities to minister love and truth to people - that was Jesus priority - I do that on a phone & face-to-face ministry, with people living near me (in housing commission homes mostly) and to people in the groups I mix with (outside my church). Everything achieved in these ways glorifies my Lord and blesses me tremendously.

The mindset of a priest towards God is to worship, praise, and glorify Him in truth and sincerity. To confess our sins and repent and pray. It's all about coming in line with God's will and having the desire to Do His will. I already do desire to do his will and pray daily for salvation for all.

Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humilty. Holy Fear. Submissive service. To be alert and attentive to my Lord and Savior. To listen for His voice and follow where He leads. I know that my Lord is watching out for me, protecting me, guiding and directing me. My mindset should be on learning to follow in His footsteps, serve out of obedience and love, and learn to imitate the example of love He was to others.

To dig into His Word. To be in a constant attitude of prayer and communication with Him. To listen intently as the day goes on so that I will not miss His voice. Once heard to follow where He leads, and do what He has directed. To be attentive to the opportunities He provides to minsiter to others, and do so out of an overflowing love for them because of my Lord's love for them.

Q1. (2.5) Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God?

To me, the mindset of a priest towards God would be praise Him, obey Him, serve Him, and give Him all the glory. To offer to Him a spiritual sacrifice (worship), and to bring others to Christ by spreading the Holy Word of the Gospel.

What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

It inspires in me the desire to live my life in such a way that it glorifies God, and inspires within me the hope that those around me may be drawn to the Holy spirit.

Kim, I love your poem. I put it on my dresser mirror so I will see it every day. :rolleyes:

Our "priestly" duty requires us to spread the Word to people in need,to be good stewards. The actions I am inspired to take are to learn as much as I can by reading,listening and trying to live my life as instructed by Jesus. I am inspired to share the Good News with ANYONE who will listen, and be ready to assist people in need.

All of this needs to be done with humility, giving all the glory to God.

Q1. (2.5) Christians often look at their relation to God as consumers, delighting in what God does for them. What is the mindset of a priest towards God? What actions does this mindset inspire in you?

A priest in OT times was holy unto God. He offered sacrifices to God--the sacrifice had to be without blemish. He gave unto God for others...

I am to offer myself unreservedly to God--to be holy unto Him through the sacrifice of Jesus. I am to give myself to Him--to be used of Him for others so they can be led to glorify Him; to be led to taste and see how good and wonderful He really is...

Mindset of a Priest is that he/she is a servant/messenger for God.

We as children of God must live and teach the commandments, spread the love and joy and word of God and acknowledge him as our Father.

I like to think of my relationship with Jesus as that of a child listening to his/her father. Yes many times we do act like consumers when we talk to the Lord, but I think in His Mercy there is understanding from knowing our hearts. I like to think He is forgiving in my failures of not always doing and coming to Him in any boxed in type of comunication.

The priest of today are much different than those in Jesus time. We do not need someone to entercede for us. He tells us to come unto Him, That means we can converse with Him anytime, anyplace, about anything large or small. He is the Priest, Father, and Savior to all who will believe and the door is open to those seeking to believe. I pray to become a better servant and laborer for the work Jesus ask us to do.

I believe that a priest felt that he was an important connection to God through which the common person had to go to get to God. Priests were set up on a pedestal.

To me the priests or ministers are persons who you could lean to get support or advice from. However, I do not believe that they had special powers to be in contact with God. I believe that even though I am a lay person I have the support of the Lord and by the kind of person I am or the life I leave can be an inspiuration to others. I too have a holy and high calling to follow the teachings of the Master. :rolleyes:

Consumers rate a lot of products,and what they can do.

Consumers fail,My God never fails..I must not rate God in what he can do for me."God can do all things"right?

Our mindset should be on what we can do for God.We know there is victory in Jesus name,so we go to God in prayer asking all things in Jesus name.God answers our prayers not in the way we want it at times,but in the long run it will benifit us.I believe God knows best and is in control,even if some of us look at their relation to God as consumers.

>As believers we are all priests who have the privilege and "responsibility of offering "spiritual sacrifices to God.We should give God of ourselves,present our bodies as a living sacrifice.We should use our bodies to serve and obey God.

It is not what God can do for "me".You Know,"What About Me!"What About Me"!

But how we can Glorify God in all His blessings.Amen.

We as children shouldn't have the mentality of being served, or as consumers that delight only from receiving. Instead of being on the receiving end, we should be on the opposite end where we become the servant of God for others.

The priest has a mindset of serving others by offering for them sacrifices to God. Because of our iniquities and lack of faith sometimes, we are not able and worthy to stand before God. Thus the priest comes in as our mediator.

But how much better it is if we ourselves are able to deal straight with God instead of through others (ie. priest). This should inspire us!

Yes I certainly agree with the statement. we look to GOD as consumers

I am so very grateful to a new awareness and from consumer was transformed

to a servant.

"Use me as the lose change in your pocket" I am willing, open and ready now"

I am inspired today to be of service to God and to the people about Him.

May God richly bless you.

Priests are people chosen by God for His own service. They are mediators acting on behalf of the people in making their requests and sacrifices known to God. A Priest, thus is a person who is an interlink between God and Man. His job is to exchange communication both ways. He is not to do any other business. When we see these characteristics of a priest and compare them to ourselves as Peter does in vs 9, what great privilege for us to act as Ambassadors for the Almighty God. Its such a great and wonderful responsibility. :rolleyes: We, who were treated as dirt, now find ourselves in the royal palace and hiers to the throne. Its like a rags to riches story. Only that its not a story but a reality that we have to face in our real lives and live accordingly.