JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (2:11) Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Peter tells us that we are just visitors here; this world is not our home, and we had better not get caught up in it. Satan sets all kinds of traps for us, but if we depend on the strength of our Heavenly Father and stay faithful to Him, those traps won't hold us!

God is on our side, and I am so thankful for that.

What Peter tells us reminds me that I can put all my trust in God to defeat Satan, because "greater is He that is in you than He that is in the world." Those words give me so much comfort as I look forward to the day when I will leave this world full of evil to meet my Saviour face to face. What a day that will be!! :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are to abstain from fleshly **** which war against the soul. In other words, do not be engulfed with the sin of ****. Remember that fleshly **** is not love, that it is a sin and harmful to your soul.

The world tells us to conform and that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

The world wishes us to conform so as to 'justify' their own sins. "See he does it and he is a Christian," they say. Peter reminds us of our Heavenly status, our eternal home and future, of our chosen position in Christ, and our forgiven, mercy filled, joy filled, love filled life in Christ Jesus. So much to be thankful for and to guard with proper actions, this status. He also reminds us that we are in a war and definately have an enemy. To be alert at all times.

Peter tells us not to conform to what this world may want because it isnt good for our soul. for me that means in a very practical sense do not do what is not good for you. As a christian I chose to live differently make different choices for my life .

Yes the idea that we are in a temporary place and the Kingdom will be our eternal home is a nice comfort but I think he is telling me, that today if I chose to sin or conform to the sin of this world my soul today will suffer. I love grace and forgivness and the principles that the bible says we can be forgiven and it is Jesus Christ blood that gives us eternal life, yet I hear Peter saying we can no longer live here in grace and just do as we please or what may please our friends or people who do not claim to have Jesus as Lord because it will indeed "hurt" our soul today and when Christ returns for His people and rewards us for the good and the bad we have done.

Jesus Christ paid for our sins with his life by obeying the Father always, this gave me a chance to spend eternity with those who will make Him Lord, and I think Peter wants us to understand we are seperate and chosen and it carries a sense of responsibility with it. to recognize what it realy means to us as a people and to God.

Peter is trying to help us see and remind us that this earth is not our home.We will soon travel to our eternal home,heaven.We must distance ourselves from our oun self-indulgent urges(WAR)!Life is not a game but war to be waged and that war is a matter of eternal life or death.Yet the war is not necessarily fought on a physical,temporal plane,but on a spiritural one.NKJV.<Study Bible.

The Battle Belongs To The Lord.God is always with us.

This is what a friend of mine said"The Battle not only belongs to us to try to reshape the morality of the country but we have to join hands ,put on the full armor of God and invite Him into the Battle with us.

This was his prayer~By,Richard~ <*}}}><

"Lord Jesus,this world is a hard place to live in today,but with your help,we can work to change it one person at a time by reaching out to them and letting others come to know your love and mercy for them. Amen

The devil comes to steal, lie and kill. We are all in the same boat on this one. He doesn't need the sinner as he already has him or so he thinks. Our Lord would that none should perish, but we know that some will. There are people that will just turn their back on the Lord, because of one thing or the other. These days there are so many things going on like the gay marriages, the defeying of the ten comandments and blantant remarks against all that the Lord Jesus died on the cross for. As christians it is important not to fall for all the lies that are being spread. We can feel sorry for people, but we do not have to accept the way they live when it goes against what the Bible says. The world would have us believe the words of the Bible are just stories for back then and they are not for now. History tell us to learn from the past and as christians this is also true. We are all a target for the devil to put ****, envy, jealously and desires in our way, but the Holy Spirit gives us power and strength to abstain if we will just listen to his voice. We do sin because we are not perfect, but repent and it is as if it never was. Does this mean we should sin more, Paul tells us no, but when we do the Lord is quick to forgive. To those who think they will be perfect in their walk with the Lord Jesus, you have hope in knowing that Jesus alone is the perfect one and we strive to his perfection not on this earth, but the world to come. Praise God most High!!!

Q4. (2:11) Read 1 Peter 2:11 carefully. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Peter tells us that the war that we are waging is not against Flesh and Blood, but against the spirit realm which constantly attacking our soul. The demonic spirit incessantly tries to find loopholes or weaknesses in our lives. Satan will always speak lies into our lives. After all, he is the Father of Lies! Thus, Peter tells us to stand guard all the time. To live a good lives, obedient to the word of God. We should submit to the spirit desires and not the flesh desires!

Satan is at work everywhere in our world. By knowing of God's free love for us, we must continually struggle not to be overcome by the sins of this world. By prayer and our example of turning to God to travel through our life in these 'alien' surroundings, we can conform our life to a 'priestly' life as God wishes us to be the living stones in his foundation. I remember and rejoice that I can survive from the sins and lusts of this society. A society, I believe, that is sinking deeper and deeper into the mirky waters of sin and despair.

This hits very close to home with me. The reason we are told to abstain from the desires of the flesh is because as soon as you fall into a habit of this world it will be very hard to break. Once the devil convinces you to drink, smoke, take drugs, spend your money unwisely, have sexual contact outside of marriage, etc. you get trapped into these habits. If you are weak or an unbeliever or fall in with other weak or unbelieving, the rationalizing starts!! If you have habits you should be examining them closely to see what drives you to do them. You should be seeking the help of stronger brothers and sisters in Christ and praying to the Lord to help you put these things behind you. I ask the Lord to help me with these things. I have habits that I will struggle with the rest of my life because I did not abstain at one point in my life and even though you can pull the nail out the hole is still there. Even though I think I have a handle on it, something else will confront me. It is a constant war and only the Lord can help us say no to the world and yes to His commands. When I am confronted with habits, I will ask the Lord for help no matter what it may be.

:o First Peter is qualifying us unequivocally- as aliens and strangers to the world and its systems. Hence he is instructing us not succumb to its ways and sinful desires, as they draw us away from the good and godly life we were taught to lead. This would mean a daily fight with the worldly ways. With the help of Holy Spirit and konwledge of the God's word, we should be able to resist the temptation of this world, however decptive they may be.

Suddenly two words are becoming so important

and powerful in my life and these words are:

URGENT ABSTAIN

Peter has an urgent desire to communicate to us

the importance that we play in the realm of the spirit

We are Gods creation and we are strangers in this

world. God wants everything from us

Body, Mind, Strength and soul.

Peter knows that the Body (flesh) is weak and at risk

from temptation, so he urges us to abstain from the

desires of the flesh, our own flesh and the best way

to do this is by abstaining, meaning getting busy and

work in the things of our LORD.

Don't just go to Church in Sunday and think that this

was enough, NO, we must be 24/7 aware and of help

to any one that comes in touch with us and let them

know by our actions that we are farmers, soldiers,

servants of the most HIGH our CREATOR, our FATHER

and be gentle understanding, mercyful and tolerant.

One act of helpfulness goes long way in our bank of

blessings.

I live a daily battle, say a spiritual war-fare but I know

that I am not alone since God is by my side every minute

fo my day, true HIM I can without HIM I am nothing. Amen.

First, Peter reminds us that we are just pilgrims on our way to heaven. This earth and all its comforts are not ours in any way. Conformity to any of these earthly things is at loggerheads with Christian values. These bodies of ours will perish but the soul lives on. Earthly desires and **** will cater to the physical body but the soul is weakened. Avoiding all these rubbish will strengthen the soul which is eternal. We should never trust the devil and his lies. Christ the ultimate victor will give rewards in heaven with all its treasures. Better to lay up treasures in heaven than bask in the devils goodies here.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to remember that we are aliens and strangers while on earth and that heaven is our true home. We are to abstain from sinful desires and resist the temptation to conform to the values of our culture. We need to say no to the desires of the flesh and the sinful nature that inspires them. If we don't we will have warfare within our souls between our spiritual nature and our sin nature. :angry:

Q4. The world tells us (1) to conform and (2) that sin won't hurt us. What does Peter tell us to combat these lies? How can this reminder help us?

Peter reminders us that those who do not believe, will see us living a Godly life, and will remember us when their day of atonement comes and they will in turn glorify God. This is an encouragement to continue to press on with living as a woman of God, not only in public but in private where God alone sees my actions and thoughts - which is most important.

• 2 months later...

To combat the wiles of satan or the ways of the world Peter tells us to keep away from the desires of our corrupt nature, that these desires constantly attack us.

Keeping away from the desires of the flesh is a wonderful reminder of what he said just before that: that we are foreigners and temporary residents in the world. This place is not where we are from or what we are all about. So don't get caught up in it, so that we may be a light for the lost, showing them the way back home, if they will, by living the Truth as lively stones. Gods way is easy and wonderful and is about Real Love that lasts for through out eternity and does not change or conform to the world. Amen :) Praise God!!!

a. He tells us to remember our life in this world is only temporary and that we must endure the spiritual struggles for now, refraining from falling for Satan's lies about sin.

b. This reminder is based on the principle of delayed gratification. If we can deny indulging in what Satan portrays as (temporary) pleasure in this life, the true, eternal pleasures and rewards that await us in heaven will be incomprable to whatever this life offers.

Peter tells us to abstain from the sinful desires that lead us to conform to the way of the world.

This reminder helps us to know that we are right ot follow God and not conform to the ways of the society we are in today. Knowing that we are still to obey his commandments.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He reminds us that we are sojourners and that here is not our permanent home. The sinful desires seek only to destry our soul.

This encourages us not to get caught up in this world and its pleasures since they are not harmless. He let us know the seriousness of falling into such false thinking.

That we need to keep our focus on what is to come and by doing so w ecan avoid the snares and pitfalls of the world.

• 2 months later...

We are to act like the strangers and aliens that we are in this world. We are not a part of this world. People should see our lives and be able to tell that we are different. We are different because we do not do all of the pleasure seeking that the world does. All sin is SELFish and these sinful desires WAR against our soul. They destroy us. But we are not living under the rule of the darkness of this world any longer, WE HAVE BEEN FREED! PRAISE GOD!