JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Doing a Good Job for Employers

Our position as employees we are not only serving our employees but also serving those who use or buy the service that we provide. Our witness is not only to our 'bosses' but our 'customers' as well. We should look at our position as one that helps others. When we look at our jobs as God given then we of course should work it as such, giving God glory and no matter what we do we are representitives of HIM. He made us in His image, His spiritual image is what should shine forth. What was Jesus' job? What was His attitude when asked for something? "And I wil do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father" John 14:13

Our attitude should be of our Savior. Our attitude and our deeds should reflect God's glory and truth. If it becomes difficult to work for your employer because they may abuse us, then let us look to those who use our services, they appreciate what we do and expect us to do it to the best of our ability. WHen our attitude is of that nature then others will see the God in it. When we have a heart of subjection even in times of abuse or misconduct by our employers, God will reward us. Did Christ seek seek revenge when he was wronged? When the Jewish leaders of His time sought to kill and ruffle His feathers, did not Jesus continue about His Father's business with zeal and without complaint? Who are we to not apprecaite our jobs and employment.

Did God do things halfway? He gave His all. He knew that man was destined to fail but still imprinted His image on and in us. He came to give His all even yet while we were still sinners. Does God only give us a partial part of His Spirit? He went all out for us. How can we not do the same for Him?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

God has given us a place in society. Whether as a Master or a slave, a Christian should behave according to the position he is in. :rolleyes: Responsibilities should be fulfilled to the full extent. Then only God is glorified. When we fail to impart our duties, firstly God is dishonored as we fail to recognise and treat accordingly the authorities placed over us. Secondly, the masters are unhappy at our shoddy efforts in doing our jobs and they will revile us. This leads to the position of God being reviled because of us. :(

L. A, Study Bible,NIV

Submission is voluntarily cooperating with anyone out of love and respect for God first ,and then secondly,out of love and respect for that person.Submitting to non believers is difficult,but it is a vital part of leading them to Jesus Christ.

We should submit to our employers,whether they are considerate or harsh, in a kind and loving manner.We dishonor God if we act without love toward our co-workers.We are to be Christ like and serve in Christian ways, of kindness and forgiving heart when they treat us unjust. <_<

To all people be true. I must give my best in my effort to succeed. My success must reflect on all those who I am in contact with. My love for God I hope will reflect in my job and my character..

If I don't give my full effort than I am cheating on myself and my employer and my coworkers. If I neglect to show my concern and care for others than I am also letting God down as well.

I will respect the wishes of my employers and I shall not be afraid to say 'No' if he expects me to do something that I am not totally comfortable with. Full effort has to be a two way street.

<_<

We are to do everything as if we are doing it for Jesus. We are therefore expected to do our best in everything we do. When we fall short of that we are disobedient to God and are showing non-believers that our God excepts mediocrity thus dishonoring God and losing a potential believer. Why would a non-believing perfectionist want to worship a God of mediocrity?

We should be a people of excellence giving our all to any job God has given us while we are in this world. The respect we give to our employers and the good job we do will reflect the glory of God. God will honor us if we are respectful because of him to unkind and unsaved people.

IT IS ONLY MY OPINION AND MY NARROW POINT OF VIEW

SINCE MY PERCEPTION HAS BEEN WORPED DO TO YEARS

AND YEARS OF SELF OBSESSION AND FEAR OF LIVING LIFE

AS IT COMES IN A DAILY BASIS.

SO, I SAY THIS: GOD DOES NOT EXPECT ANY THING FROM US

GOD DOES NOT LEAD US INTO TEMPTATION, INSTEAD GRANT

US BY GRACE TO COME TO HIM AS WE ARE.

MUCH THE BETTER IF WE FOLLOW CERTAIN SIMPLE PRINCIPLES

THEN WE CAN BE USEFUL FOR HIS PURPOSE AND OTHERS CAN

FOLLOW AND PRAISE HIS WAYS.

OUR CROOK IT WAYS BECOME STRAIGHT.

IN OUR PRACTICAL DAILY LIFE WE MUST SUBMIT AND BE RESPECTFUL

TO AUTHORITY, BECAUSE WE ARE CONVINCED THAT THIS IS THE RIGHT

WAY TO ACT, WE WANT THE LIGHT THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO US TO

SHINE, TO POINT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

WHY TAKE AWAY WHEN WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BEST OF ALL

SURRENDER AND BE THE BEST WHATEVER WE ARE JUST BE.

GOD GAVE US THIS JOB WHATEVER JOB IN WHATEVER LEVEL WE MUST

PERFORM IN HUMBLE WAYS AND HONOR HIS NAME AFTER ALL HE IS THE

GIVER OF ALL.

I AM CONVINCED AND I LIVE MY LIFE IN HIS HONOR AND ANY THING

I DO IS IN HIS NAME.

WHAT KEEPS ME AN AWE IS THAT GOD WANTS TO HAVE A RELATIONSHIP

WITH ME. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT?

DEAR GOD LEAD US TO BE A SHINNING LIGHT. THANK YOU.

By showing respect to our employers is very pleasing to ur Lord, we honor Him by doing right, We are not taking anything away from our God.

When we don't give our all that brings shame on us and that displeases our Lord. For we are not shining for Him.

God should receive the glory, honor and power for the abilities He has given me. God blessed me with these abilities and He expects me to use them to the best of my ability. God didn't shortcut me so I expect I will not shortcut Him. We bring enjoyment to God when we respect Him and respect others by giving our best. He gave His all to us. You have to have that attitude of gratitude to perform well and have respect. If you don't do a good job you may have a problem with being grateful for what God has given you. I have to tell you a story. This winter my husband got layed off. This happens periodically in his line of work. Together we prayed for God to provide for us during this time. But we were grateful for what we had. We're convinced that when God answered our prayer a few weeks later that He put my husband in the job he got just to help someone else. When he went to work, immediately there was a young man who needed his help and my husband helped him. After all, this is the attitude of gratitude. God has answered our prayers and blessed us abundantly so we gratefully turn around and help others. The foreman on this job ended up not being such an easy person to work for. But my husband did his best and helped this boy. After a month the job ended and he went to work somewhere else where God has blessed us again and again. God is in charge. We work for Him. Since we work for God, then anything less than the best He gave us is dishonor to Him, no matter what the circumstances. :D

The bible says to submit ourselves to our masters. If we were to put these terms in todays society it would mean: employees submit to the employers. We need to show our employers whether saved or not that we are God's kids. We need to show the un-saved employers that we aren't like the others. We show them that we don't cut corners when corners need to be cut.

When we don't do an honest job it shows our employers and God that we can't be trusted. It shows what kind of christians we really are.

If we as Christians refuse to submit to our employers or if we don't do our jobs right, it effects our witness and hurts our testimony. We need to remember that it is the Lord that we are really working for. :(

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

Wow, this is a very thought provoking topic. I have always taken such pride in my work, and have been blessed with the people I work with. To submit ourselves with respect not only to those who are kind but also those who are harsh in today's society is an interesting concept. We have such an instant gratification society. If I don't like it, I'll just quit, or complain enough to try to get them fired seems to be the motto of many people I have worked with. But, these opportunities may be the Lords way of putting us in circumstances where we can pray for others, or where others can see our character and perseverance, and there is a larger life plan in store for us by being submissive in the unfavorable work environment.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

That we be found blameless against the false accusations of foolish men.

In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

Being that The will of God is, to a good man, the strongest reason for any duty; as stated also in an exposition by Henry. If we do not give our full efforts to our jobs, then we are not reverent towards God!

a. Col. 3:23--"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men." This is the standard for believers in the workplace. This command is not dependent upon external circumstances or other people's behavior, but is an attitude that says, "I am doing this for the Lord!"

b. Again, giving less than our best effort is the marketplace fuels the distrust and dishonor of many unbelievers with regard to the authenticity and reliability of Christianity as a way of life and as God's plan for the redemption of mankind. It brings dishonor to God becaue we are His ambassadors in this world and as such, represent God to the world.

He wants us to respect them no matter what they say or do that we may disagree with. We should still give our all to the job because we are still serving God when we are at work.

By not giving our all we are disrepecting what god wnats from us everyday.

• 1 month later...

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, it is saying that God's expectation that we do a good job is to apply ourselves in excellence and to the best of our abilities through our dependence on Him. We dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs becuase we are not relying on His strength nor are we acting in the spirit of Christ.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this is saying that God expects us to do our very best, honest work. To not do little cheats with our time card. To be honest about the little things such as the length of our breaks ect.. as well as the big things. We dishonor God when we don't give our best effort. Most people of the world expect a lot from christians. They know the standards that we are to live up to. When we don't live up to those standards then why should they try to. It also gives ALL christians a bad name when some behave badly. My sister-in-law says that is why she won't go to church. Because she has seen some christians do wrong.. like gossiping ect... Our example really counts!!!!

• 6 months later...

God wants us to be passionate in everything we do. That means we are to devout ourselves wholeheartedly. (1 Corinthians 15: 57-58)

Whatever we do for others we are ultimately doing it for God. God calls us to live out "excellent" lives. And when we fail to give our full effort to our jobs, God's name can't be glorified. Your lazy effort doesn't bring your name honour nor does it bring God's name any honour. And the most important thing to remember is that God provided the job for you, we should be thankful that we even have one. We should show our gratitiude by giving back our very best.

• 1 year later...

Paul answers this question rather better than I when he writes, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your hearts, as working for the Lord, not men." [Col. 3:23] In what ever we do we must give of our best because in whatever we do in all our relationships we should bring credit on God. Our character should be exemplary because we are of God. Shoddy work dishonours God.

• 5 months later...

:) God expects His children to excell in every area of their lives. Therefore, whatever we do, be it in word or deed it should be done in excellence, so that God may get the glory.

When we don't give our all to whatever we do, job or other wise we do a dishonor to God as His children. We must be mindful tha the world is watching us.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Christians are exhorted by Paul in the scripture to do all things to the glory of God. God expects us to give Him our very best and very best effort in whatever we do. In whatever we do, we do all to glorify our God so that others may see Him in us. In not doing so, we dishonor God.