JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Doing a Good Job for Employers

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

I have always been taught, and it is probably in the Bible, to do every job as if you are doing it for the Lord so I do my best to put my best effort into everything. If I have difficulty, I pray for the Holy Spirit to give me the wisdom or strength to complete these tasks. If a person does not give full effort or engge in other ungodly activity, they are dishonoring God in many ways including being dishonest.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God does expect us to do a good job for our employers. This shows our character and integrity to others. We dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our job, because ultimately, He is to get glory in all that we do. Our work should be done with honesty, and excellency.

• 1 month later...
Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

( 1 Peter 2 : 18 ) " Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

These are people Peter addresses. But notice what Peter does. He doesn't encourage them to overthrow the system of slavery, but rather to glorify God in the midst of it.

The idea here in our text is that some masters were crooked and in a metaphorical way it meant dishonest or morally evil. They were the type of people who didn't have any scruples when it came to interacting with their slaves.

And now that they're Christians God is expecting their lives to be a model for their oweners so they can see the Lord has done for them. And in the process Peter is encouraging them that, though their masters may not see them as people, God does and He loves them very much, but He wants to use them in their own little world for His Glory.

And this is what God wants for you and me. Though you and I are citizens of this country with certains rights, the comparison might be that in our own little world of employment we are called by God to represent Him in a way that models the love of Christ.

Sometimes life won't appear to be fair and sometimes you're going to run into people who are less than fair and anything but likeable. But what God wants us to realize is that even those people are made in His image and they need a savior also.

The temptation is to react in like manner. The flesh doesn't like being bossed around. The flesh doesn't like someone getting in your face and we don't appreciate someone being two-faced especially when they claim to be Christians.

But remember God called us to Holiness. And in that process of santification God is molding us in a way that is being fit for eternity and in the process He wants to use us to bring others the truth of His gospel in love.

Chances are, that's how someone prayed for you and me when we were lost and dead in our sins. Praise God He responded to those prayers and we now know what it is to call our God Father and savior, because of the blood of His Son shed on our behalf and who rose victoriously from grave defeating sin and death.

• 1 month later...

It is God's will that we do everything as if we are doing it for him. Christians should be so radically different than everyone else that others take notice, such as not reacting to a harsh employer the way most would. I believe mediocrity dishonors God...like not doing our best.

• 4 weeks later...

God expect us to do the best job possible which will make Him look good in front of unbelievers. They will see our good works and start to believe in the God we serve. If we don't do a good job and claim to be Christians this will make the word of God seem like a lie and cause non-believers to doubt God and not seek to obey Him. We must not set a bad example of who God really is.

• 3 weeks later...

God says we are to be submissive to all authority. Doing this shows our willingness to follow God's laws. It dishonors him because were not acting like Christians thus being a bad example to the rest of the world.

This is a good one. I am long term sick and disabled and as such I do voluntary work. It covers day care for the elderly and admin. It is my way of putting back into society a little bit of what I am given in benefits.

I give 100% all of my time. I look for ways to go the extra mile.

I do it to bring God glory and honour. Many people tell me it is voluntary so it doesn't matter how well I work or if I throw the odd sickie. It is considered inferior to paid work. Yet God expects of me the best I can give, all the time, whether I am paid, voluntary or underpaid.

I work for God, to bring Him glory and to witness to a lost and dying world, not my wage packet or my benefits.

This is a good one. I am long term sick and disabled and as such I do voluntary work. It covers day care for the elderly and admin. It is my way of putting back into society a little bit of what I am given in benefits.

I do it to bring God glory and honour. Many people tell me it is voluntary so it doesn't matter how well I work or if I throw the odd sickie. It is considered inferior to paid work. Yet God expects of me the best I can give, all the time, whether I am paid, voluntary or underpaid.

I work for God, to bring Him glory and to witness to a lost and dying world, not my wage packet or my benefits.

We take our every day, ordinary, working, eating, sleeping and walking life and offer to God as a pleasing HOLY sacrifice.

I am an alien in this land and called to be an ambassador for Christ. If I only work the hours I am paid, if I do voluntary work and am sloppy in my attitude because I don't get paid. If I do the world's fiddles, I am blending in. God can't be seen. It is a turn off for those watching who might have turned to God. It not only dishonours God, it makes a mockery of the Cross

• 1 month later...

We are doing good job as Christians if we submit and respect to our employers because it is the the Character of Christ whom we imitate. Our employers, in one way is seeing Christ in us.

Whatever we do in our job honor or dishonors God because we are bringing the name of Christ. We are called Christians. Christians are supposed to be imitators of Christ. Christians are supposed to bring glory to God in words and in deeds. :unsure:

We are to go about doing our work as though God himself is signing our paycheck. We are to let everything we say and do in our workplace be a reflection of who God is because it is Him who lives in us and through us. When we respect and honor our employer we in turn respect and honor God.

As God's children, He expects us to do our very best at the work He has given us to do. We dishonor Him when we decide to be slackers and not put forth our best. He calls us to be servants in our jobs and when we give our bosses our best we are also giving God our best and bringing glory to Him.

• 2 months later...

We are to submit to our employeers and respect them even if they don't follow God's laws. We are expected to do our best as if we were doing it directly to God himself. If we don't do our best then we dishonor God.

• 4 months later...

I like what the New Living Translation says," You wsho are slaves must accept the authority of your masters with all respect. ( or because you fear God). Do what they tell you, not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel." If we do not do a good job we are reflecting back on God. It is for Him, to give Him glory and honor and respect that He deserves. We are working for God.

In the society we live in today Christians often tend to leave their praise and adoration for God to quiet times,midweek fellowship and Sundays.During the week at work it's a no no "work and religion don't mix " what they are actually saying is that they are afraid of rejection.However if you show respect and love toward your employer and other staff members you will be doing Gods will and revealing the love of the Lord.When you go that extra mile and take great pride in all your given tasks even those you might not enjoy then your light begins to shine and God gets the glory.

When one just fits in with everyone else or goes with the flow as the saying goes,no difference is seen and in some cases God can be dishonored.We should always stand out and the love and light of Lord should be prominent in our daily lives.

• 3 months later...

There are no conditions attached to submitting to our employers so God does us to do our best at all times. Doing a good job is showing respect to those in authority over us.

In not giving our full effort we disobey God's expectation from us and thereby dishonour Him.

• 2 months later...

We are to do a good job in whatever we do,but not to be a made a fool of by our bosses. God is dishonored when we fail to do our best for Him and our families.

• 1 month later...

God expects us to do a good job no matter what the job is or who the employer is. By respecting and submitting to our employers, I guess it is understood that we must also fulfill our requirements in our work. We dishonor God by doing anything less.

I really never thought of submitting in these terms. This is a good reminder of what God requires and expects from us.

• 2 weeks later...

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

God tells us that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us, and He also tells us that what you do unto the least of one of these little ones you have done it even to me. So if what we do unto others reflect how we treat God we should consider very carefully how we treat others, even our employers. We should always do our best in everything we do as if we are doing it for the Lord. For we should do everything we do to show the Love and mercy of God to man even our employers.

In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

When we fail to give our best on our jobs then we are not doing our best to the Lord by showing others God's true Love and mercy.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2:18)

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job?

In what sense do we dishonour God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

Being a Christian makes demands on us. In the workplace we have to seen as living testimonies for God. Normally we are in the minority and we will be placed under the spotlight; people will be quick to criticize us, and even accuse us of being hypocrites. This can bring dishonour to our Lord. We have to obey God

• 7 months later...

It is too obvious that when we fail on a job we are viewed as either weak foolish or irresponsible. In the eyes of my earth father or my true Godly father, I must not fail, I must submit ot all things to honor Him. I can not rebel, that is too easy. Suffering and overcoming is the true way to honor God.