JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Doing a Good Job for Employers

I believe doing a good job for an employer begins with the Golden Rule. From there, when you commit to doing a job for which you receive payment, or even if it is a volunteer position, you must give as much of yourself that you can muster. When you no longer respect the job, the company, the boss, then go find another calling rather than being dishonest or deliberately failing to help others succeed. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God expects Christians to always do the work He expects them to do, their employer expects them to do.  They have to be focused, godlike in what they do.  God expects us to obey his command and His holy word.   This extends to our workplace where we have to be conscientious and honest in what we do.  This is what God expects of us. 

We dishonor God because we are not following instructions and doing what is expected of us.  God does not expect us to complain but find resolutions in His name.

To respect our employers, we must give them authority over us in regards to our tasks (2:18). If we do not, most likely, we will be fired. If we are “slackers” and don’t follow up on our assignments, we are not following God’s instructions in the Bible. God has given us His all, and as followers, we must do the same. When we do this, we are setting a good example of a Christian believer.

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

1. God wants us to respect all men and do a good job working which includes respecting our employers. When we respect our employers, we are giving God reverence.

2. We are not being a good example when we do not do our job well. That can be a reflection on God. We must do our best and God will increase what is needed. Pretending to be something we are not is disrespect to God.

On 2/20/2004 at 6:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

We are to submit to our bosses and do a good job, this brings glory to God and shows our employer we are faithfully following our Lord Jesus.

If we do not do a good job for our employers, we will display to him that we are not good followers of our Lord, this brings discredit to the Lord and hurts him.   

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

Respecting and employer is God's expectation and implies a very strongly that we are to do a good job. We are not to cheat our employer by not working with all our skill and energy. However, the employer has a responsibility to treat his workers fairly, honestly and with good faith. This is a two-way arrangement and when both parties treat the other with all due respect then there will be Harmony in the workplace. But if one side or the other does not treat fairly than the workplace can be a terrible place to be involved in.

we make good Job because we love our Job. Good Vision come from God if we already prayed by the way our God help us all the time.

We Need often confirmation about our Job to be respect eachather.But not to be wrong use for our Status.

I believe Gods expectation activities our heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Respecting those over us at work is crucial.  We may not like what they do, but because they have that title, (knowing God has put them there) we need to respect that title.  God is glorified when we obey those in authority over us.

If we choose to not do that, we are NOT reflecting Jesus Christ to those around us. A good thing to remember is that we are really working for Jesus!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we submit to our employers and respect them, this is God's expectation and doing a good job honors Him because we show gratitude in the use of the giftings and abilities that He has given to us.  We use them for the glory of God.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonour God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

In loving and following Jesus we submit to His Way, Truth and Light therefore, we are bringing the  teachings of Jesus into our life and employment.

Jesus teaches us to for example;

Love thy Neighbour and to follow  the Commandments through which we are taught not to sin but to respect the other, inc. employer 

Jesus' teaching of the parable of the Talents, teaches us to work unconditionally.

Jesus teaches us to do unto another as you would have done unto thy self

Hence our response to employment and to life is shaped by God.  Anything less than submitting to Jesus' teachings disrespects God.

Jesus also teaches us to clothe ourselves in Him; casting off the old and putting on the new. In this we are all called to recognise the God within us and the God within each other consequently, if we offer anything but our best to our employer, friend or stranger we are not giving ourselves to God as He gives Himself to us.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonour God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

I was raised in a secular family, yet was always taught that everything I did reflected on me and my family, and because we had to "preserve" our "reputation" I was required to do my best at everything. When I became a Christian, this attitude never completely left me. Reputation still matters to me, perhaps too much, but it's been mostly usurped by the idea that God is watching me and I want to please Him.

I don't think our jobs are any different than the rest of our life -- everything we do should honor God, never dishonor Him. 

The simple rule, "ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST," is right before God. 

The real question, at least for me, has to do with knowing what God wants me to do. I can't do my best for Him if I don't know what He wants me to be doing.