JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Being 'Conscious of God'

WHEN THINGS HAPPEN THAT ARE NOT IN LINE WITH GOD, TAKE THEM TO HIM IN PRAYER..LET GOD DEAL WITH THE INJUSTICE, OR WHATEVER HAPPENS. HE & THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL NOT ALLOW INJUSTICE TO PREVAIL. IF YOU WERE CONCIOUS OF GOD ALWAYS , THEN WE'D HAVE NO TIME TO GRIPE AND COMPLAIN BECAUSE WE'D BE BUSY DOING THE WORK THAT WE HAVE BEEN CALLED TO DO. HARVESTING SOULS FOR THE KINGDOM!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a housewife, I have not worked in over 22 years so I was not working when I was saved. However, injustice does not only occur in the workforce. Now that I am a Christian I realize that anytime we react to anything anyone does or says, we must evaluate our own heart and apply biblical principles-part of dying to the fleshly or carnal nature. Complaining only got the Israelites many years in the wilderness and I have learned this the hard way. I believe that the more you walk with Christ, the more you learn about what to allow in silence and what to say something about without a complaining or critical spirit.

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

When we are conscious of God, we have the assurance that God is in control and we need not worry about any injustices in the workplace. We will be able to submit to any situations knowing that God is with us and He knows our situations.

Conscientious Christian CAN be a complainer provided that it is something constructive and words are not of an unwholesome nature.

I am a submissive kind of person. When I face a prolonged, unfair treatment at work, I would tend to acquiesce to the situation and just pray to God for wisdom on how to tackle it.

If we are truly conscious of God

nothing that could happen in the work

place is going to affect us, none the less

we are but little babes and little babes

whine and whine.

Let us assume, that we are mature christians

then we cannot vacilate and we must keep the vision

of God in our daily life.

If someone commits an injustice towards us

we must bless the person because he/she

does not know what is doing and if they know

what they are doing we must bless them more

our attitude will quiet their critiques and perhaps

will question our attitude, and then is when we

can respond and say we are brothers even if you

are not aware and because of that I respect you

and hope you come with me to the next service

it will be in Sunday..

This is a paradox, the more one complains the less

one is heard.

Conscientious christians, are about fitting themselves

to be of maximum service to God and to the people

about God.

May God richly bless you.

In the company that I work, there is unjust things going on. Some the employers know and some they do. When this effects me. I try and not complain. But I go to God. When I complain it shows the world and God that I can't trust God. Prov. 3:5 "Trust in the Lord" complaining is the opposite of trusting.

When people treat me unfair in the work place. My co-workers see what is being done. They often say to tell what I feel. This is not what God wants. Instead I calm down and continue with my work. By doing this, the world may see that I'm being walked on, but I see that I'm giving all the room for God to work. For his glory to shine thru me.

As Christians we are to do the best job we can for our employers whether they are honest and fair, or cruel, unfair, and don't appreciate one's hard work.

By being "conscious of God" in our jobs, we will be working for God's delight. Our attitude and behavior towards our work will be for His pleasure.

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

I think that being a Christian in the workplace makes our actions more magnified, particularly in the manner we react to interpersonnal matters. Complaining may not be the correct term to approach others with, but making suggestions certainly is! Prolonged unfair treatment typically goes on unaddressed, unfortunately, as the people who "rock the boat" tend to be the one's who are laid off mysteriously...

The first thing I would do is pray about any adverse situation that comes up at work. I've been in these situations. I had a boss who was very had to work for years ago. He made life unbearable at times when I was at work. I prayed about that situation. The answer I got was "God puts His strongest soldiers in the most adverse situations." Now, I didn't think I was one of those soldiers!! God had something for me to learn and I feel I am blessed now because of going through that time. Then I've had to deal with other employees who were attacking me. I've found that if you're doing the right thing at work, that the truth and prayer will win. I believe even if you lose that job because of some injustice that you should be ready for whatever God has in store for you next and thank God for blessing you with being conscious of God in your workplace. This is a test, only a test. Hope you pass. I have complained before, but that got me nowhere. I don't complain anymore, I've found a better way. Prayer and the truth!!! That's the way to go. Lately, I've had little or no reaction to any unfair treatment, but like I said, I've always told the truth and that works. I'm aware that God is with me and He is protecting me no matter what the outcome. I haven't been in these situations of late. My job now has been great. I can say that the one time that another employee accused me of something, I told the truth to my boss and the other employees in that office knew what my character was all about and they backed me up. That poor girl lost her job. But I have to believe that even God is looking out for her. Maybe He's trying to teach her something about being conscious of God in her workplace. I pray for her.

• 2 months later...

As quoted from 1Pet 2:20 kjv ...when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Christians are not to be complainers in the sense of how the wiles of satan work, which beset us. If we complain to our boss or other's that do us wrong, then we have not the mind of Christ; Who did not say a word when falsley accused. He did not go around gossiping and backbitting about those wrongs to others either, so as to be like them. He indured this grief and was found blameless.

He did this to fulfill and bring an end to the law/Torah, so that we may live as free men and women, following His example and guidance in all this world would dish out to us. So that we may in turn bring light into the darkness for those seeking the way of Truth/ Life.

We bring our complaint to God, not to complain at God, but for His cosolation. It is helpful to remember that it is not flesh and blood that we restle with, but with the powers and principalities of darkness. Doing this will help us to see whom ever is doing us wrong with the eyes and heart of God.

I quit most of my jobs because of unfair treatment from either bosses or co-workers. I thought well there are plenty more jobs where this came from, and I would just leave, or never go back. I see now (not just now) how I was wrong and only proved to them that I didn't have what it takes to remain: stability (stay-ability).

Although I do not now physically work for a pay check, because in my ignorance I ruined my body, from a vehicle accident, and by getting envolved in relationships with abusive people. I still at times, in which I am so ashamed, react in a harsh way to the slanders of people I testify of God to. I take it very personally. It hurts me to the core to hear the lies against God, and sometimes when it hits home because of something I did do, but have repented over and turned from. I get so angry and moved off of my foundation, acting just like the attacker. Then I'm sickened because although I did no wrong at first. I end up on my knees in repentance again, because I missed another chance for to bring Gods Light into the situation, and possibly winning another for Christ, but in a twisted sort of way I end up justifying there behavior to them and they go on attacking people and God through them, and never looking at their own behavior. :(

a. By always remembering who we are (a holy priesthood), our behavior in the workkplace will be markedly different thanthose who do not know Christ. Eventually this difference in the way we act and react to unfairness must have an effect upon others, because the world responds with "an eye for an eye" and the right Christian response refrains from the impulse to get even.

b. A chronic complainer reveals a wrong spirit--one that is basically in rebellion against authority and an inciter of rebellion among others. This would not be characteristic of Christians who elsewhere are exhorted to be "joyful" and to exemplify the fruit of the Spirit.

c. While my personal response to prolonged, unfair treatment at work has not always been equal to the biblical standard, I believe that if a person absolutely cannot tolerate such a situation, we are fortunate in Western society to have the relative freedom to depart that place and find work elsewhere. For those who do not have that freedom, (just as the 1st century slaves did not) God's grace will be sufficient to endure it and He must have included that treatment as part of shaping that person's character.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't just get mad and express how we feel like most other people do. Being concious of God in the work place makes you think about what he would want you to do to bring justice to the work place.

A Christian should not be a complainer but, there are some who may say they are a concious Christian and still complian. But we are by nature sinful so it is hard to break from that sinful person in us.

Most of the time I don't do anything about prolonged treatment if I am the one treated poorly. But if it is happening to someone else and I can talk to anyone else about it to help them.

• 5 weeks later...

Being an employee "conscious of God" affects the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace because we cannot do anything that compromises our morals. A conscientious Christian cannot be a complainer because we are to submit to authority--good or bad. I usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at work by changing my place of employment when it becomes obvious that nothing is going to make the situation better and I have peace about it.

• 2 months later...

When we are conscious of God we are constantly aware that He sees all that we do. When we are faced with injustice we can remember that our time on this earth is just for a little while. The hope of eternity lives in our hearts. It's possible for all of us to be complainers but we should consider how others see us when we are. Complainers are a constant dripping. You show your lack of trust in God when you constantly complain - and do Him disservice. I have complained about unfair treatment at work to other workers and to the Boss as well. It worked out better when I addressed the Boss about my thoughts than just to let off steam with fellow employees.

• 7 months later...

First of all, we know that God is always watching us. He wants us to always be careful with the words that we let come out of our mouths and He wants us to lead "EXCELLENT" lives (By that I mean giving your ALL in EVERYTHING you do, and staying away from the things that we know that God would be displeased with.

NO because complaining displeases God. It shows that we are not greatful for what He has blessed us with... IF anyone remembers the story about Moses who was called by God to lead the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land... The journey was actually only an 11 day trip, but the Israelites wandered around in the wilderness for 40 years because they constantly grumbled and complained. (They needed to get their mouths right with God first.) The same thing applies to us.. COMPLAIN = REMAIN. PRAISE BE RAISED.

As for the last question I really can't say. I am very blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom for now.

• 1 year later...

This is very difficult because it is natural that we should grumble and complain if we believe that we are being unfairly treated and there is a whole edifice of employment law and tribunals which serve to encourage complaint. On the other hand Peter tells us to endure it and to suffer it without complaint: to be conscious of God always and to offer it to Him. No a conscious Christian should not complain. I try to do as I am told and to let insults and unfairness run off me; not reacting to them. But there are times when a snide comment comes out or a defiant shrug of the shoulders. There are times also when I share a grumble with fellow workers and criticise working conditions and management decisions. This is something that I should work on so that I become more servile and accept the conditions of my work place and the attitudes of my boss in the service of God because He finds this attitude commendable. Yes, I will just have to try harder.

• 5 months later...

:) As an employee who is "conscious" of God it should cause us to act in line with the desires and standards that God has set for us as His children. A conscientious Christian should not be a complainer. Just as Jesus did not complain, we as the children of God should and must allow Him to be our example in all things.

Personally, I must admit that I do not react very well to unjust and unfair treatment. It is a behavior that I am diligently working to correct and with the grace of God I intend to become just like Jesus in all things.

• 6 months later...

It affects us in that we don't join in, we don't condone, and we don't remain silent. Part of the responsibility of being "conscious of God" is to speak up when asked to go against God or our conscience. We must not be a complainer - that only incites repulsion. Instead we must set an example in the way we live (and work).

• 4 weeks later...

Being conscious of God in any kind of workplace environment means honoring and pleasuring God with our work and attitude. We are to be a witness for Jesus Christ in everything we do. A Christian who is a complainer is a poor witness for Jesus Christ and doesn't glorify his/her God. A complainer is saying to God in so many words that God cannot provide for him/her. I Usually react to unfair treatment for any period of time by giving it to God and permitting Him to be my God. I let Him handle the situation and He always does. But I must permit Him to be my God.

• 9 months later...

We should follow the Bible as an example of how to handle injustice in the workplace. I believe we should go to the person, and try to get things worked out with Christian love. Of course, sometimes this works, and other times it does not. We should always pray about the situation. God will take care of us. I do not believe we should be a complainer. Complaining might give others a negative view of Christians. Why would others want Jesus in their lives if all they see and hear us do is complain?

• 1 month later...

Peter has reached the point in his letter where he wants these Christians to understand that the love they've been given in Christ should constrain their hearts to trust the Lord and know that even in the midst of trials they are to make themselves available to be used by God for His glory No, a conscientious Christian cannot be a complainer. Part of practical outworking of the Spirit of God in our lives has to do with allowing the world to see us in a way that demonstrates that we belong to God. Live such good lives among the world that though they accuse you of doing wrong, they must see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us. How is that done? And how is the world able to see us in the light? Peter brings it home when he explains that walking in the Spirit is walking in the real world in the power and love which God supplies.

We have an overview of what God's will is for you and me. And in this overview we have the reason for submission. Keep in mind that God has called us out of the darkness of sin, into His marvelous light, so that we may shine for Him.

• 1 month later...

According to this passage, Christians are to be more aware of God's presence and honoring Him than reacting to injustices at work. So we don't react as a result. No, complaining isn't part of what that would look like. We're to do all things joyfully, as if we're doing them for the Lord. I now have a wonderful job where I'm my own boss, but in the past, I would react not by responding outwardly, but by looking for other options for employment.

• 4 weeks later...

Being conscious of God as an employee shows that you are obedient to God and that you love Him and would suffer for Him. In other words you are teaching other what it really mean to be a Christian. A conscientious Christians can not be a complainer. That does not shine a very good light on what our faith is all about. We can't bring people into God's house if all they hear is complaints. They are going to think God does not have the power to do what He has said in His word He will do or have done. I have reacted to unfair treatment by staying until it became really unbearable. I would pray and ask God to let me leave. That is now. Back in the day. I would guit after I could not take it anymore. It is hard and I cry but I love God and I want Him to get the glory and I need His help to hold on and obey Him.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to see with Jesus eyes, hear with His ears and love with His heart. It depends on the injustice. Did someone take credit that was ours? Are we facing a disciplinary for an unjust accusation? Is someone else facing injustice?

If it is mine, then I need to take appropriate action. If it's a disciplinary that could affect my ability to find work, I need to prove my innocence. I am called to be a welcome mat not a door mat.

If it's credit that someone else has taken - so what! God knows the truth.

If it's a bullying manager, a gentle answer.

If it's some else facing injustice, then support and the courage to speak out.

AND AT ALL TIMES TO LOVE, FORGIVE AND PRAY FOR THE PEOPLE AND SITUATION INVOLVED.

Phil 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing - there can be no complaining for a Christian. God will provide you with the words you need to speak.

If it is prolonged bullying, if it is making me ill, if it cannot be resolved, then I would move on. If not I would stay. My employer is God, not the human making my life awkward.

We act different than most in that we go by God's word and respect the authority over us placed by God. We look at it as coming from God. No we can't be a complainer God hates that. We are to follow the leaders God has put in place.