JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Being 'Conscious of God'

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

An employee "conscious of God" works for God's delight. He/she works to please God. Whatever her attitude and actions in work should reflect the Spirit that is in him/her. The fruit of the spirit should be noticeable in the workplace.

A conscientious christian can complain, but she has to do it in a nice way. Because God is just, to complain injustice in the workplace will not offend God. We just have to do it in a nice way. Treating the issue with silence may be good sometimes. But some issues need to be settled and confronted. We just have to do it in a way which does not destroy the image of Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should act and react in a way that brings God pleasure. We are not to act toward our employer in the harsh and negative manner in which he or she may treat us. But, if at any time our boss should ask us to do anything that would be contrary to God's word, we are no longer obligated.

God's word tells us to go about our work and daily life without grumbling or complaining.

I am not normally a confrontational person, but I feel that if a bad situation merits confrontation, it should be done. The Bible teaches us how to do this in a way that pleases the Lord. Christ, himself, shows us how to treat injustice in the Gospels, without sin.

• 1 month later...
Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

To be God consciousness at all times is to do the best job possible reacting as God would to the injustices in the workplace only. Not complaining but doing his will in his way, because this is what God has requested. I try to be strong and not complain .

• 4 months later...

By having the conscious of God we will stand up for what is rightr. We will not compromise on anything that is not of God. No, I don't think a conscientious Christian can be a complainer. With the spiritual awareness of God's presence, we should walk, talk, and act like Christ. The way I react, I show the person love and I pray to God for the strength and the guidance to do what is right. To be like Him.

I think the first thing to establish is who are we as Christians working for and only once this is clearly defined can we answer the question. In truth once we have been called and born into Christ we become servants of the lord. Our first responsibility to our lord, as well as to all involved would be to make known that our lives belong to the Him. On this point, many Christians are living their lives in the so called closet for fear of reprisal. Remember the words of Jesus Mat 10:32 "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.

Now with that behind us we have two choices one to behave as our beliefs preach or to succumb to the worldly norms. When everyone knows your position I believe you will endeavour to do the will of God in all that you do

In doing Gods will in our work places we glorify His name and by enduring the insults and the bad treatment will be smiled upon by our God.

• 3 months later...

God calls us to 'endure' even under 'harsh' conditions. But this is only as far as unfair treatment is concerned. Where there is Biblical unrighteousness we are not to accept it.

We can be a complainer and point out the unrighteousness of a situation. If it persists, we are free to leave. A slave is to obey his master the Bible says, but only within certain bounds. Morally corrupt behaviour must be rebelled against.

In the past at my workplaces I have generally murmured against wrong treatment and where it has persisted I resigned and left. This was wrong of me as I should have endured it and stayed. I would then have set a Christian example for others.

• 2 months later...

Being conscious of God at all times in all situations will keep our attitudes in line and in tune with God. We will think before we speak or react to the reaction of our boss...Yes, we can be complainers by becoming so heavenly that we forget how to live earthly (in the world, not of the world) as a child of God...I'm disabled and my answer from when I was of the world and lived as the world does would be a simple simon answer. Thank God for His Grace, Mercy and Love that changed me.

• 1 month later...

How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace?

When we are conscious of God then no matter what the circumstances are we will most likely think about what we will say or do before we just respond to someone else how ever they have treated us in the workplace or in the market place or anywhere.

Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? No, but to many times they are.

Why or Why not? We are to be a reflection of Christ in everything we do and when Christ was reviled He reviled not again and we are to follow His example so that others around us can see the Love of God in us as they did in Christ.

How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

When I am treated unfair at my workplace and especially when its for a prolonged period of time it really hurts and sometimes I just try to get off to myself so that I can pray and think about what I should do or say and what God would have me do or say to address the situation. I find out that if I do these things everything usually works out for the better in the long run, it may not have no immediate response but the outcome is better.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (2:18-20)

How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace?

Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not?

We are to stand bravely for Jesus and to reflect His love, no matter what. We as believers must be above any injustices at work and to be obedient and respectful to all. This does not mean we are never to complain if we come across any misconduct or wrongdoing. I think here we must take a stand and not overlook such occurrences. Fortunately I have had my own business and I can honestly say I have tried to be honest and fair to all my employees; but I must have slipped up some times, and I ask forgiveness for this.

• 7 months later...

Having prolonged unfair treatment at work for me, it means that somehow I've not heard God's message how to resolve the "unfairness"

Today times are tough and everyone has to work harder. I'm blessed to not have been put in a situation where I'm treated unfairly, or at least not since June 30, 2010.

Can we really judge what is fair and unfair? Life is unfair for many the situation they have been born into. Jesus was treated so unfairly, but he more or less brought it on and had to do it so they'd kill him. His example is amazing, something to shoot for, to be perfect as he has asked us to do. He didn't complain, so can we honestly say it ok to complain? I can see talking to God in prayer about these things, but not to people unless they can help improved the "unjustness." I long to be more sober, humble and have a servant heart.

• 1 month later...

When we are conscious of God's presence with us wherever we are, it will definitely affect our behavior and also the way we treat others.We can endure and bear up under pressure at the job.We can react to injustice with patience and kindness rather than being nasty and throwing a fit.I don't believe a conscientious christian should be a complainer because this does not reflect the character of Christ in us.People look at our behavior when they know we are christians, so if we constantly complain then we're no different from the rest of the world.I think if I was being treated unfairly for a long period of time, I'd definitely want to quit, unless the Lord prompted me to stay .But I know that would be very difficult for me to bear up under such circumstances.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Being an employee "conscious of God" helps to make the work-place more enjoyable since God will bless us with the strength to endure "thrashings" yet to do so with positive actions. Being conscious of God also sets parameters to which we will and will not take part in...ie. steal, lie, etc.

Can a conscious Christian be a complainer? No, it is contradictory of 1 Peter 2:18.

Prolongs and unfair treatment is best handled through prayer and if needed with a face-to-face with the employer. It is so easy to mallow negative emotions to rise to an explosive situation, thus jeopardizing and job and relationship with our employer.

At work we need to submit to our authorities. God has appointed my boss, civil authority in my place. I am to respect him and complete the tasks that he has asked me to accomplish. These tasks (no matter how mundane or irrational I consider them to be) need to be completed, so long as they do not require me to sin. My King (God) is head of the civil authorities therefore his laws govern mans laws. I am to complete the tasks with a joyful and grateful heart; work as if I was working for God himself

and, I need to be an asset to my company; reflecting the good works that Christ has done in me so that it will bring Him glory and draw others to a relationship with Christ.

I do not believe Christians can be complainers.... if you work with an attitude of gratitude, there is no way you can complain at the same time. It's all about your attitude. However, I do believe that speaking the truth will set everyone free. If a situation arises that requires correction because as it has come from a wrong motive or action and it is having a negetive effect on staff and the working environment, I believe you may approach your employer, in love, and offer God inspired solutions to the problem. If the employer does not want to heed these suggestions, you walk away and leave it with him..... watch your attitude!

If under continued pressure, you choose whom you will serve and how you will go about it. Scripture says that we need to endure all kinds of persecution and trials and consider it to be counted to us as joy and righteousness. James 1

• 3 weeks later...

It make us want to do a good job first, Paul tells us to work as unto the Lord. We need to remember He is our first authority and we need to serve Him in all our efforts,no matter what kind of boss we have on the job. We need to refrain from complaining although it is very difficult, I have a terrible struggle here, Unfair treatment is also hard to take,but as we live for Christ we should be willing to suffer or tolerate these struggles as it grows our faith in Him who will make all things right

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace?

For starters we are to be fair to everyone ourselves. It's no good being like the ungrateful servant who was forgiven an enormous debt, then beat up a fellow servant over a few bucks. If it's someone else who's being mistreated, what should we as Christians do about that? Just keep out of it and thank God it's not us? Stick up for them and put our own neck in the noose? I really don't know. If the injustice is happening to us, I suppose we're to obey the Bible's instructions and bear up as best we can.

Paul tells us that if we're slaves before we become Christians we should be content with that lot in life in our Christian life as well, but if the opportunity presents to be free we should take it. I put up with incredible injustice and persecution, not necessarily for my Christian beliefs but just because my supervisor was the worst example of a human being I have ever encountered. He made conditions at work as hard and unbearable as he possibly could simply because he could. He's in hell now. I didn't kill him either, God did. A massive heart attack took him just before the big recession hit in 1991. He was bad enough to me when times were good. I can't imagine how bad he would have become under real pressure to cut costs and not claim the phony overtime he was getting paid for as hush money from the bosses not to reveal their back door deals. I used to go home some nights shaking with rage over his treatment of me and I truly think I would have killed him with my bare hands if he'd gotten any worse than he already was. I'd been putting out feelers for another job but ended up staying there for a full 15 years.

Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not?

I knew a Godly man whose boss hated his guts for his Christian way of life. Robbie was a research chemist. His boss demoted him to factory hand and made him do heavy lifting all day every day rather than put on another guy when the previous one in that position left. Robbie never complained, just did his job. His boss was laughing up his sleeve at this slightly built man busting his hump day in and day out. I told Robbie to leave and get another job but he quoted the very passage we're discussing here as his reason for staying. He also said that having been out of the loop for a couple of years meant that his knowledge base was out of date as well. Anyway Robbie had a massive heart attack and couldn't return to the workforce. Still didn't take legal action or do anything of a reprisal nature.

I still reckon he should have gotten out of there and got another job, even in another line of work. Trouble is: the bosses make you feel like you're not worth a dime and can't leave because who'd want you? I know Robbie felt that way. Very sad true story right there. His reward will be in Heaven though. I hope his old boss goes to the other place.

From my own experience I just put up with it. Once or twice a year I'd reach breaking point over the constant bullying and psychological pressure and I'd physically threaten my supervisor with serious physical harm. That would settle him down for a while but before too long he'd be back to his old ways again. I prayed for that man unceasingly for years that he'd find Christ and that God would deal him a few more cards so he'd be playing with a full deck upstairs. Instead God took him out. This man blasphemed constantly and mistreated not only me but another Christian who did our electrical maintenance. I'm thinking God had simply had enough, and also wanted to save me from a life sentence for killing him myself.

• 6 months later...

3a)If we are conscious of God ,that spiritual awareness of God’s presence with us,we should react to a demanding,unfair,intimidating,unappreciative boss by bearing up under the pressure, endure doing our job with the same high standards as if he/she is wise,honest and good, when asked to do work which they are in the right to ask us.If we are asked to do something against or conscience and God’s commands, we should refuse and resist this what ever happens as a result.

b)As Christians we have responsibilities to live as Jesus would. Therefore think Christians shouldn’t complain,as in the west we have many blessings,with reasonable jobs or benefits,a home,food, healthcare and family should not complain to increase their level of comfort.

c)Jesus helped those in need and challenged hypocrisy, so feel Christians should bring to the attention of an employer when something is wrong to help the employer. Think Christians can raise to public’s attention where people are abused e.g. slave labour people paid tiny amounts working in poor conditions to make products for the wealthy in the west, and to help negotiate with employers improved working conditions and better pay for vulnerable people.

d)Pray about it, and try to obey scripture” endure all kinds of persecution and trials and consider it to be counted to us as joy and righteousness. James 1”,trusting God will help &protect me. If in abusive situation maybe move to employer.

• 1 year later...

We Christians need to always work as if for the Lord  (Colossians 3:23), no matter how our employers and fellow employees act.  And working for the Lord means not turning our backs on others who are in need or mistreated on the job, even when it will cost us dearly -- like we get a poor performance evaluation, we make our employer, supervisor, or fellow employees angry because we make them look bad by exposing the injustice being done, we are falsely accused of some inappropriate acts and so get demoted or fired.  So, to support the one treated unjustly, we must speak against what is being done or not being done and still do our work to the best of our ability, not cutting back on our effort or time on task in order to seek justice for our fellow employee(s).

Working for the Lord also means not doing those immoral or illegal things the employer or supervisor or fellow employee may order us to do as a part of our job assignment because such actions will cause us to disobey God.  We must also "complain" about such orders and accept the cost.

But we must not whine about mistreatment against ourselves; we must not even file a complaint about it without a lot of prayer and thought trying to figure out how God wants us to handle the situation.   It is vital for God's glory and our witness as His children on earth that our response be marked by agape-love, mercy, compassion, kindness, gentleness, and righteousness, justice, and the truth. 

• 1 month later...

God clearly teaches throughout the Bible to act justly in every situation.  The way we act and react to injustice in the workplace to act justly. 

Paul taught the Philippians to "Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,"  Phil. 2:14-15 (NKJV).

Additionally, the book of Numbers clearly lays out the fact that God hates complaining.  So, a conscientious Christian, cannot be a complainer.  Complaining is an afford to God. 

In reacting to prolonged and/or unfair treatment I have either  reacted in one of three ways:  1) endure it; 2) address it; 3) found a new job.

• 1 year later...

I was trying hard to be conscious of God because I always did my job and respected everyone. They still kept striking at me. They were being prejudice against me for years and I got my Doctor's degree they really started yelling at me for no reason. I prayed for years that God get me out of that misery. When I hit 25 years, I retired and all the stress was gone. God is good.

• 5 months later...

Being conscience of God in our work place and refuse to do something unjust or immoral, we are to stand our ground against it. We are children of God with his moral standards and commands, we are not to commit to injustice.

A conscience Christian should not be a complainer, but do as commanded in our jobs to the employer. There are unjust employers who have their favorites, but if we continue doing our best in our job, the Lord will work things out for us.

Prolonged unfair treatment by our employers can cause us to stress in our belief and faith in God. If necessary we may have to quit and seek other employment. Our prayers before any decision must be done before we act. We should also pray for those who are mistreating us and other fellow employees.   

• 6 months later...

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace?  Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer?  Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

True faith is always being mindful of God's spiritual presence within us as we carry out our tasks in the workplace.  In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul wrote, If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.” (1 Cor. 3:17)  Being "conscious of God" is to always keep in mind that we are God’s temple and when we choose to turn a blind eye to injustice in the workplace (moreover, any time/anywhere) we are in-effect, defiling that temple and bringing dishonor upon the Lord God.  Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21)  Being “conscious of God” is far more than just recognizing that He is with us, being “conscious” of Him demands that we should always strive to honor and glorify Him by doing His will without regard to worldly consequences. (Matt. 7:21).

Complaining conveys an attitude of unhappiness and dissatisfaction with your current situation or possibly just life in general.  If you’re a grumbler and/or complainer then it’s obvious that you believe that it’s you and not God who knows what’s best for you at any given point in time.  In his letter to the Galatians, Paul wrote: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23) Complaining absolutely doesn’t yield the fruit of the Spirit.  More accurately, it’s destructive and weakens the mind so if you are a complainer then I would imagine that sin is the culprit.  Complaining and grumbling is diametrically opposed to a positive relationship with God but Christ Jesus removed that barrier and restored us.  Faith in God and in Christ Jesus is at the very heart of Christianity so my answer is no, a “conscientious Christian” can’t possibly be a complainer.

I’m retired so it’s been several years since I’ve been active in the workplace but when I was and I felt that I was being treated unfairly I PRAYED.  I prayed for the abuser and I prayed for strength, wisdom and guidance to handle the situation as respectfully as possible.  After I’d prayed on it, (often for days on end), rather than trying to avoid conflict I would approach the individual (privately) that I believed was treating me unfairly.  My approach was in a calm, non-threatening, non-defensive and respectful manner.  Not always certainly, but more often than not, that approach opened avenues to a more productive relationship.

• 5 months later...

Because we are conscious of God’s presence in our lives we desire to submit to His will and to trust Him in our circumstances. We can be strong in the strength of His might (Eph 6.10) and bear suffering. (This implies a close and consistent walk with God.)

We are to be courageous and should not behave like wimps. We may respectfully raise our concerns about any injustice, but we should not bicker or make a scene. How we need His wisdom and power to do this!  Our personal lives (home lives) should also reflect the same attitudes.

A gentle answer can turn away wrath. We must keep a good attitude and demeanour when treated unkindly. Also be ready to admit our faults and make adjustments when we do deserve criticism. 

• 6 months later...

---We should do what is right and pray about it and leave it to God.

---No we should not complain as we do are not honoring God.If we complain we are not trusting God.

--- For many years it was difficult but as i am growing in Christ i pray about the situation.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Being an employee who is conscious of God, its affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace because of our spiritual awareness of God's presence with us. It is capital No, a conscientious Christian cannot be a complainer because we are conscious of God's presence with us. We react to prolonged unfair treatment at work because of the awareness of God's presence with us.