JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Being 'Conscious of God'

On 2/25/2004 at 7:19 PM, djmclaren said:

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

Our reaction should be of immediate prayer. This should always be our first action and when we are truly hearing from Him, He will lead us as far as what to do next. This could be inaction as we cast it on Him. This could be action as the Word does say if I see my brother ill and hungry I should not say bless you and keep it moving but I should offer assistance. While the work environment may not be the place where we are offering physical assistance in terms of food, we can very well offer spiritual assistance by living a life of submission. When others see our example, it may be easier for them to endure knowing that our own strength comes from the Lord. Can we be a complainer? Yes and this may be counteractive to what we are intending to do. We should stop, pray, believe that He's got it, and speak positive words. Only God can change situations and sometimes what needs changing is us and the way we see it.

I'm in a position now where my boss doesn't pay the workers the industry average and doesn't see the full scope of His actions/inactions on the Customer.  I pray. I have changed the way I view it and instead focus on the good that is happening.  However, I constantly put before God the ability for me to be in a position where He can use me to help others.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 4:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

1. We can  take into consideration and ask Him how he sees the situation and ask for Wisdom as to what to do or say. We can certainly pray for whomever is being mistreated and give emotional support,  and if we're the one being treated with injustice, prayer before any action is key. Prayer helps us to respond in a godly way, rather than reacting out of emotions and harsh words which can't be taken back, and thinking about how this "will reflect on God" before choosing what to do or say.

2. No. The Bible calls complaining, "murmuring"....and ultimately when we are complaining, we are indirectly blaming God for what is going on. Over the years of walking with the Lord, I've learned that many of life's trials and hardships are allowed to shape our character, develop patience and forgiveness, so instead of complaining, I've learned to ask Him what He wants me to learn in the hard situation. Self pity prolongs the "agony" and accomplishes nothing.

3. It's been years since I've been in the workplace, and I was never treated unfairly at work, (Thank you, Lord!) so I can't really comment on what I might have done.

Being conscious of God means we are to avoid doing what Jesus did. No lying, cheating, stealing, being righteous and suffer well. No, a Christian is not to complain, but endure as Jesus, follow His example. If being unfairly treated, I first, stand up and say something about it. If the treatment then continues, I will quit.

Q3. (2:18-20) 
How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? 
Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? 
Why or why not? 
How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

We are to stand bravely for Jesus and to reflect His love, no matter what. We as believers must be above any injustices at work and we are to be obedient and respectful to all. When we suffer unjustly, for doing good, we win God's approval. He is pleased when He finds us so conscious of our relation to Him that we endure undeserved pain without trying to fight back. However, it is only suffering patiently for well-doing that counts. It is so unnatural, and definitely not how the world would normally respond. This results in people being taken aback and noticing our Christian behaviour – resulting in glorifying our Lord.

This does not mean we are never to complain if we come across any misconduct or wrongdoing. I think here we must take a moral stand and not overlook such occurrences. 

Fortunately, I have had my own business and I can honestly say I have tried to be honest and fair to all my employees and clients. However, I must have unknowingly slipped up some times, and I ask forgiveness if I have hurt anyone.

By being “conscious of God” we know that we aren’t working for that employer we know we are working for God. This can make things much easier and we will still be able to give it our all. A conscientious Christian can complain once in a while it is just that they should not be complaining all the time. They might be able to point out something that isn’t right. In the mean time I would go out and look for another job but I would put up with what was going on until I had another job.

(2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

Doing right and even suffering for it pleases God.   We are to submit to our bosses in those things for which they rightfully direct our actions. But when they ask us to go against our conscience, against God's commands, their authority to command ends. We must humbly decline, no matter what the consequences. We live our lives "conscious of God." Complaining may or may not get results.  I feel that if you state the facts in any given situation and then leave it along is not really complaining but you have made your point.  Being a part of the minority, I have experienced unfair treatment in the work place many times.  You learn early own to put the situation in the hands of the Lord.  He will work it out!

As an employee ‘conscious of God’, we should forgive and show mercy and grace to all, since we as Christians receive this from God.  Showing loving kindness and mercy to someone can lead  to new behavior in that individual.

Conscious Christians should not be a complainer since by doing so they seem to show attitudes that they are ungrateful and bitter.  God does not expect this of anyone who serves Him.  Instead of complaining, we, as Christians, should try to think of solutions.  We should pray for God's intervention. God wants us to be active in our faith and our lives.

I  prayed on anything that affected me in the workplace.

As Christians, we are conscious of God when we know that our very words and actions will be judged by Him. As followers of Christ we have to keep in mind that we represent God's kingdom. God is longsuffering, forgiving, loving, kind, patient, etc. These characteristics should be in all believers at all times. I believe no one should have to suffer physical abuse, especially in our days. We are blessed to have rights that protect us in this area. Other than that, we shouldn't be complainers at work because this only makes us look bad as Christians. We should strive to do our best and get along well with others, but there will always be that someone trying to ruin your day. For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world's rulers of the darkness of this age, and against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. We must pray at all times and know that God will bring to judgement all things.

I admit I sometimes struggle at work with unfairness, rudeness, badmouthing(employees with other employees). I happen to have an administrative position which allows me to talk to the employee/s but the results are not always pleasant. I get the silent treatment most of the time. As a Christian I wish we would all work together in a pleasant atmosphere, but I understand sometimes God uses these situations at work to build our character. To sharpen us. Therefore, if it is up to us, let us be at peace with everyone, enduring all just like Jesus.

Q3. (2:18-20)

Q. How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace?

A. Being God conscious at the work place should make us to obey our boss, work hard, be punctual and indeed do our best at work irrespective of how bad or unfair we are treated. This is because this good attitude in an atmosphere of unjust and unfair treatment pleases God. He will reward us some way we may not figure out.

Q. Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not?

A. Yes and no. He can politely raise discussion of any unjust and unfair treatment he perceives to be meted on him but he should not do it in a way that is offensive or displeasing to the Lord. If he complain in a Christ-less manner, it will displease the Lord.

Q. How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

A. I pray about the situation and if it persists, I approach my boss and have a talk with him. If listens, well and good otherwise I continue to be patient and praying believing that God will intervene some how in one way or the other by giving a better place of removing the unjust boss. He has done this for in the past.

Whether an employee, neighbor, or a friend, we should always remember how Jesus would act, and what would He would want us to do in a certain circumstance. Complaining is not necessarily wrong in itself, if we are doing it for the right reasons i.e. to affect a needed change and not just to vent or speak badly about another person. A different action oriented word should probably be used here such as “revealing” an especially egregious situation to someone in authority who can take action. Jesus acted in a way to bring about change as with the woman being stoned to death.  Unfortunately I must confess I am guilty of griping and complaining most of the time.

On 2/20/2004 at 6:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Being an employee of an unjust employer we are still to be obedient and do a good job, this brings honour and glory to the Lord.

A Christian should not be a complainer for this shows disrespect to all and the Lord.

Complaining of unfair treatment at work does not bring justice to us or honour to Christ. For when he was reviled he answered not back.

I usually do not react to unfair treatment, but when necessary I will confront the offender of his unjust ways.  

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

1. We should not cheat, steal, and lie for our bosses. We are to submit to them in those things for which they rightfully direct our actions.  When they ask us to go against our conscience, against God's commands, their authority to command ends. We must humbly decline, no matter what the consequences.

2. No

3. That shows a christian is not being aware of God's commands or being obedient.

4. I just ignore it depending on the situation and who it is. I pray about it and keep on showing respect. I do my best to have a good attitude.If it is necessary to confront the situation, I do.

I believe as Christian we must be respect for our boss, other People and myself but we must be scare for our God.

You remember that our Workplace is not our God, we should be axceptable or give our mind Argumentation if we prayed before.

I like this sentence .... You see me! Why I Play His Position.

On 2/21/2004 at 0:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Being an employee and conscious of God, affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace because of our spiritual awareness of God's presence with us. It is capital No, a conscientious Christian cannot be a complainer because we are conscious of God's presence with us. We react to prolonged unfair treatment at work because of the awareness of God's presence with us.

• 3 weeks later...

We don't have to be tolerant of injustice.  However, sometimes you need to give it to Jesus and He will lead you as to what to do--if anything.  Life is not fair.  We need to care....for others. People will notice your attitude and the joy that surrounds you.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3.  a.  It helps us react soberly and responsibly.

b.  Yes.  A conscientious Christian can be a complainer because he/she is a human like any other human being.  However, the complain can be in the form of understanding and  amicably resolving such issue that prompted the complain. 

c.  I believe that every problem in the life of a Christian comes for a purpose either to point to your own sin or a test of commitment.  You therefore have to view your treatment in whatever form it comes in light of scripture and wait for God's own solution to such problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Awareness and "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace because we are aware of God's presence with us in that moment, to bring us through any injustice.   A conscientious Christian who meditates on the word of God will have an on time word when he feels the need to complain.  Instead of complaining he will chose to get encouragement from the Word of God.  When there is prolonged, unfair treatment at your work, seek God's guidance on next steps.  He will lead you into doing what is right.

• 6 years later...

Slaves didn't have a choice as to whom they had to work -- they were stuck, as it were, with a particular employer. We still have a choice to leave our employer and attach ourselves to another ... though that freedom may soon be curtailed by our corrupt government.

So, I guess I'm saying that working in such a way that is "conscious of God" could mean quitting to find an employer who either shares our values or at least doesn't harm or harass us for those values.

I like the idea God-conscious work. On the secular level of building character, which is rarely taught these days, it's often expressed as "Doing your best no matter where you are." As a child, I was always taught to do my best by my secular parents. Now, as a Christian, I think of this as working as if God Himself was my employer.

Increasingly, employers ask us to do things against our conscience. With a family to feed, it's quite difficult to quit, but that's what we must do. Similarly, regarding our government from which we cannot quit, if the government asks us to engage in an obviously unjust war, for example, or to do things to fellow citizens that are patently dishonest and harmful, we must engage in some form of civil disobedience. We have no choice but to abstain as we openly, rationally and gently argue ... not complain.