JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prostitutes

Q3. (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? How does God look on prostitution? On prostitutes? How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

• 3 months later...

In the sight of God, all children of Adam and Eve are born in sin

Rom 5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Whether it is a prostitute, or a thief, or a murderer (example Paul), or a righteous scribe, God is giving the grace of salvation equally to all who repent and return to Him in obedience.

Mat 19:17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Truly no one is perfect, because no one in this world has been able to observe God’s laws as it should be and not fails in any of them.

Jas 2:10  For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The prostitute was not honoured because of her prostitution, but she was a perfect example of repentance that God is expecting from every individual on earth.

Christ did not despise any category of sinners as the Jews did in his time:

Mat 9:

11  And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

12  But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

13  But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

A humble repented prostitute is dearer to God than a proud Pharisee.  The following story is a perfect example for us to learn about how God treats every sinner on earth, even if that is a prostitute:

Luk 7:36-48

36  And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.

37  And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,

38  And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

39  Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.

40  And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.

41  There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.

42  And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

43  Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

44  And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45  Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

46  My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

47  Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

48  And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? How does God look on prostitution? On prostitutes? How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

Q3: (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5, Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? How does God look on prostitution? On Prostitutes? How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament?

Rahab was so honored because she chose to believe God, and at the risk of her life! She was most likely a Baal worshipper with no knowledge of the One true God, except for what "she had heard" about Him. Remarkable!

How does God look on prostitution? On Prostitutes?

We put degrees on sin...usually the ones we aren't guilty of, we judge as worse than ours. God looks on each individual with love, and sees either one who has come to believe in His Son and is therefore covered in His righteousness or as one who doesn't yet know Him and is unrighteous and needing to be redeemed. "Whatever is not from faith, is sin". Rom 14:23. A prostitute is just another sinner needing to be saved by His Grace. No better nor worse than the next sinner.

How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about sinners and sin?

Jesus primarily hung out with sinners because this was His purpose on earth: to save and redeem that which was lost in the fall in Eden. When the Triune God said in Genesis 1:26 "Let us make mankind in our image" the result was that every human being has a "stamp of God" in them, whether they believe in Him or not and deserve to be treated with dignity and kindness. Jesus modeled this in how he treated tax collectors, (hated by all), adulterous women, lepers and other outcasts, such as the shunned woman with the issue of blood,  the "sons of thunder", James and John (Mark 3:17), who also needed to be redeemed, the Samaritan woman, who had multiple husbands and was now living with a man not her husband. Jesus spoke the truth in love to each individual regarding their condition, without shaming or humiliating them and while welcoming them into His "circle" of love. Each of us is born in a fallen condition, regardless of how we live out that condition, and need the same exact measure of grace to be saved as the next person.

My attitude should be the same....I'm a sinner saved by grace alone, and so grateful to be His daughter, that I am to look at others as He does, and to be eager to share His love with whomever...regardless of their "sin condition".

Although Rehab had been a prostitute, God was able to use her by changing her heart - opening her eyes to truth.  This faith was credited to her as righteousness - just as Abraham.

The act of prostitution is sin.  A prostitute is a person who sins and is in need of redemption.  Jesus saw the person, not just the sin, and desired for them to be saved.

God hates sin but loves sinners and wants them to be saved.

Q 3. Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament?

Her faith in Yahweh was imputed to her as righteousness just as Abraham's faith in what God promised was counted as righteousness. I like the fact that she was mentioned, in James 2:23, in the same breath as Abraham, the father of faith. She heard about the Israelite's God, Yahweh, and she decided to link herself with Him.  

God truley is in the redeeming business.  Jesus gave His life for the prostitute also.  Because of God's grace, when we believe on Him and His Word, He is merciful and just to forgive us of our sins. I believe that God was pleased with Rahab because of her  faith in Him and added her to the geneology of Jesus Christ. Our God is the God of a second chance.

How did Jesus treat prostitutes?

It's true, Jesus did hang out with sinners. He said that He came to set the captives free. Set them free from the bondage of sin. Jesus loved the sinners, the prostitutes, the tax collectors, the people on the lower rung of society. We can see the mercy and kindness that Jesus showed towards people when we read about the woman caught in the act of adultry, the woman at  the well who had been with many men and many other sinners. We serve a forgiving God who wants the sinner saved.

Rahab was honored three times in the New Testament because of her faith in being obedient to God when she hide the three spies. God is always in the redeeming business. If a prostitutes turn from their sin, God will give them mercy and grace. Jesus forgave the prostitute and rd her to go and snow no more. Sin is sin to God, no matter what type of sin it is. But, He is a forgiving God.

Q3. (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) 
Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? 
How does God look on prostitution? 
On prostitutes? 
How did Jesus treat prostitutes? 
What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

It is all part of God letting us know about His plan of dealing with individual believers in grace and mercy. 
Using Rahab as an example, God shows us that no sin is beyond His forgiveness. 
And because of her obedience and trust in Him, she and her family are rewarded and blessed. 
Her story is one of God’s amazing grace that can save the worst of sinners. 
God abhors all sin, and therefore looks upon prostitution and any involvement with prostitutes is immoral. 
We read in Proverbs 5:3-5: “The words of an immoral woman may be as sweet as honey and as smooth as olive oil. But all that you really get from being with her is bitter poison and pain. If you follow her, she will lead you down to the world of the dead.”
In Romans 6:23 we read: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Our Lord Jesus treated prostitutes like all sinners with grace and dignity; wanting them to put their trust in Him, and repent - turning from their ways. 
He rebukes their sin but He could forgive their sin because He has that authority (Mark 2:8-12), and because He is the Lamb of God who bore “the sin of the world” (John 1:29).
This teaches us that God gives us the opportunity to receive salvation and eternal life, to be cleansed of all our unrighteousness.
All we have to do is turn away from our sinful lifestyle and turn to the living God, whose grace and mercy are boundless. 

1. She is mentioned not only because of her faith, but by the good deed she did in hiding the spies and misdirecting her leader’s soldiers so that the spies could escape. She played a great role in helping God’s people moving closer to the promised land.  The Apostle Matthew depicts her as being an ancestor of King David.

2. God looks on prostitution as a sin. This is written in 1Corinthians 6:13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.

3. Although prostitution is sinful, prostitutes are not beyond God’s forgiveness.  Luke 7:36-50 tells the story of the interaction of Jesus and a harlot.  When the Pharisees accused Jesus of keeping company of the harlot, who had bought some expensive perfume and used it to anoint Jesus’ feet, wiping them with her hair.  Jesus rebuked them saying that her faith and deed had made her sins be forgiven.  

Jesus always forgave prostitutes their sins.  He is a friend of sinners. His death and resurrection was  for the forgiveness of sins.  As he told the Pharisees in Matthew 21:31.  ‘Even the tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the Kingdom of God ahead of you.’

4. God is the father of us all, sinners or not.  He sent his only Son to forgive us our sins once we believe in him, keep his commandments.      

Q3. Prostitution/prostitutes

Prostitution is the most sinful act among all the sins, as it is said in the Bible 1 cor 6:18  that prostitution is done with and within body among all sins which are done outside the body, which will eventually destroys our body which is supposed to be resurrected with Christ. Our lord is so kind and merciful that even the prostitutes he had pardoned and gaven them them eternal life when they had faith in Him  left it and followed Him.

But according to the Bible there is no sin which is small or big, if one sins he will fall short of salvation. God is calling us Sons of prostitutes all those who dosnt follow follow his law, because his calling us His children and he is our Heavenly father.

For the wages of sin is death  Romans 6:23, and we see Jesus giving life to prostitute by forgiving. And by Rahab's story God is showing his mercy by demonstrating that no sin unforgiven when repented.

God wants us to keep our bodies clean and holy as he is holy, because in new testament we see that the body has become temple of God as he dwells in our hearts.

Q3. (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament?

The woman I see being honored is not the prostitute, the woman being honored is Rahab a heroine of faith, not that of intellectual faith, but that of "Trusting Faith," a woman who was mentioned in the same breath as Abraham who believed God and was called a Friend of God, a woman who joined herself to the Jewish people and became a proselyte, thereby, we see Rahab mentioned as an ancestor of Yeshua (Jesus) the Messiah of Israel.

It amazes me when I read about and see the Mountains that can be moved when a mustard seed of Trusting Faith is released.

Q4. How does God look on prostitution and on prostitutes?

Prostitution is a great sin, it is a violation of Gods laws, and in fact Rahabs works prior to her "Conversion" were unarguably wicked.  God even looked at Israel when they turned away from Him repeatedly describes her with a related word, "zonah" ("prostitute")

Prostitution falls also in the category of Adultery and Fornication, that of sexual immorality, in the twentieth century Western World sexual unions outside of marriage were unfortunately regarded very lightly, along with homosexual behavior, temple prostitution and other improper practices, while in Judaism, God's laws call them an abomination. 

Q5. How did Jesus treat prostitutes?

The Messiah offered hope and a changed life not only to prostitutes but to all sinners. 

A parable of truth was spoken by the Son of God as we read in (Mat 21:32)  John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you believed him not: but the Publicans and the Harlots believed him.

What was said concerned the wrath to come and the miserable state sin found them in and the great need that they repent and place their "Faith" in the Messiah who spoke to them.

Q6. What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

What this teaches me is how important the part of repentance and trusting faith play in bringing us into a covenant with God, for it is "SIN" that separates us from Him.

God loves the sinner for "ALL" have sinned and come short of the glory of God; Israel had the Day of Atonement and the Passover Lamb to cover their sins, but the world was without hope until that Glorious day when the love of God and His great mercy was revealed and God sent his Passover Lamb, His Son to "ATONE" for the sins of the world.

What it teaches me goes much deeper as I come to understand the reason God's Son had to come in the "FLESH,” as the future is predicted and truth is revealed in (Rev 5: 1-7 in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written and sealed with seven seals. And a strong angel proclaimed loudly, who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals? And no man was found worthy to open, to read the book, or even look therein, is when John wept much as he was promised a revelation of "things which must be hereafter" and "No Man" was found worthy, until one of the elders said, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed and is worthy to open the book and to loose the seven seals, for in the midst of the throne stood a Lamb as it had been slain, and he came and took the book out of the right hand of Him that sat upon the throne.

This is why I along with all other believers have this song in our hearts, (Rev 5:9) Thou art worthy to take the book and to open the seals thereof, for thou was slain and has redeemed us to God by your blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation, for the trial of our faith is much more precious than that of gold, though it be tried with fire, we might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the "appearing" of the Messiah.

Rahab is being honored for her faithfulness, and reordering her life. Prostitution and Prostitutes are sinful to God, because it defiles the temple. Jesus forgave the prostitute for sinning. Rehab was declared righteous for the role she played in Jericho. I am being taught daily of who God is and His Faithfulness. God uses the weak and poor, whose faith is strong through His Son Jesus the Christ.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A prostitute is honored three times in the New Testament because it shows God is a God of second chances. He forgives one's sins that have repented and turned to him.

God hates prostitution and it is punishable by eternal punishment.

A prostitute is looked down upon as a sinner by God and though it is a sin, God loves the sinner who repents and turns to him for forgiveness.

Jesus treated prostitutes as a person who sins, but they are forgiven if they repent and sin no more.

God hates the sin but loves the sinner who repents and trust him. 

(Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? How does God look on prostitution? On prostitutes? How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

1)  Rehab's faith is why she is mentioned three times in the New testament.

2)  God is in the saving business.  No matter what you may have done in your past life, God is ready to forgive you and give you a new start.

3)  Jesus looks and treats prostitutes the same as any other person.  We are all his children.

4)  God hates the sin not the sinner.

The prostitute was honoured because of her faith in the God of Israel. Prostitution is a sin in the sight of God and prostitutes are regarded as sinners.

Jesus treats prostitutes with love; this shows that God hates sin but loves the sinner and wants them to repent and turn from their sins.

The spies met Rahab, who had two strikes against her—she was a Gentile and a prostitute. But she showed that she had faith in God by welcoming the spies and by trusting God to spare her and her family when the city was destroyed. Faith helps us turn around and do what is right regardless of our past or the disapproval of others.

Poor people, however, are usually more aware of their powerlessness. Thus, it is often easier for them to acknowledge their need for salvation. One of the greatest barriers to salvation for the rich is pride. For the poor, bitterness can often bar the way to acceptance of salvation.

There are heroes of faith—like Abraham, Isaac, Ruth, and David. Some had shady reputations—like Rahab and Tamar. Many were very ordinary—like Hezron, Ram, Nahshon, and Akim. And others were evil—like Manasseh and Abijah. God’s work in history is not limited by human failures or sins, and he works through ordinary people. Just as God used all kinds of people to bring his Son into the world, he uses all kinds today to accomplish his will. God wants to use us today to advance the ministry.

Q3. (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5; Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute

honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? 

How does God look on prostitution? On prostitutes? How did Jesus 

treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward 

sinners and sin?

1. Rahab's faith is lauded three times in the New Testament. First, in 

the genealogy of Christ By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she 

welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient." 

(Hebrews 11:31)

The second time we find Rahab mentioned in the New Testament, she 

appears in the Hebrews 11 "Hall of Faith"

The third time we see Rahab in the New Testament, James says of her, 

"Was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she 

did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different 

direction?" (James 2:25)

2.It is considered wrong and disobedience.

3.He looks at as being able to have another chance for repentance from 

sin and turning to him brings joy to him.

4.Those who put their faith in God will be saved, both from temporal 

destruction and eternal destruction.

5. He will give you a second chance because he is a loving God. It excites 

him when you put your faith in him and be obedient.

A prostitute is mentioned because that's who God used.

God looks down and detests sin, no matter the sin.  I believe God has the heart of loving the sinner and not the sin.  Prostitutes are people too and God loves them just as much as He loves everyone else.

Jesus showed them unconditional love and understanding.  He gave the example of how to treat others.  We'll never know the stories and reasons behind people's choices that have led them to where they are.  However, we all have the choice to rise above our circumstances and flaws with the unconditional love of God and salvation through Christ's grace.

God's against sin, not sinners.  He knew in the beginning, we'd fall and break His heart, but He loves us so much, He loved us despite our flaws and sins.

God's grace is about people trusting in HIm for salvation.  She is mentioned in the New Testament as she is an example of a sinner coming to faith in God for her salvation.  She is mentioned in the same sentence as Abraham for he believed and God credited it to him as righteousness, before he entered into covenant and was circumcised.  Therefore, in essence, Abrham was not yet a Jew when he believed.  Sinners are sinners and prostitutes are in need of salvation as anyone else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because God called her out of harlotry into righteousness because of her faith.

Prostitution is a sin.

God loves sinners.

Jesus was kind--& offered them so much more for their faith in Him.

Hates sin.  Loves the sinners to repentance.

To show the grace of God to sinful human being

He hates the sin of prostitution but love the sinners- the prostitutes.

Ditto

He hates sins of sinners but loves the sinners

• 2 weeks later...

Q3) Several scripture comes to mind (1) those who didn't have the law will be judged without law Ro 2:12 (2) where there's no law, there is no transgression! Ro 4:15 (3) the law was adde because of transgressions, Gal 3:19 (4) also Isa 56:3-8. God has shown us through the genealogy of Jesus Christ viz. Tamar, Ruth, Bathsheba; the relenting of the people of Nineveh, Ebed-Melech, the Ethiopian Eunuch, that His concern has always been for all mankind. It was never about nationality, pedigree or status in life but His sovereign and Devine choice.

Rahab is a hero of the New Testament because she is an example of righteousness; she believed in God and did what was right in his site, helped God's people while at the same time, rejecting that she wanted no part of the completeness of the iniquity of the Armorites. 

God hates sin and has given His son as ransome for sinners .

• 3 weeks later...

God loves to see faith in us.  He loves to forgive and cleanse.   He loves hearts that are open and loving toward Him and others.   He hates sin, but loves to welcome sinners.   He never shunned the "unlovelies" but reached out to them and welcomed them.  He is so great that He forgives our rotten sins and gives us a second chance.

I also have to add that once we are redeemed, God expects us to NOT blatantly continue living in sin, but to allow him to change us and to daily struggle with and repent of our sin.

" [ Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ ] What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? ... "

Colossians 3:5-6   So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, ****, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.  Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

Galatians 5:19-21  When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,  envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

• 8 months later...
On 9/24/2016 at 7:22 PM, JanMary said:

Q3: (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:5, Matthew 1:5) Why is a prostitute honored by being mentioned three times in the New Testament? How does God look on prostitution? On Prostitutes? How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about God's attitude toward sinners and sin?

Rahab was so honored because she chose to believe God, and at the risk of her life! She was most likely a Baal worshipper with no knowledge of the One true God, except for what "she had heard" about Him. Remarkable!

We put degrees on sin...usually the ones we aren't guilty of, we judge as worse than ours. God looks on each individual with love, and sees either one who has come to believe in His Son and is therefore covered in His righteousness or as one who doesn't yet know Him and is unrighteous and needing to be redeemed. "Whatever is not from faith, is sin". Rom 14:23. A prostitute is just another sinner needing to be saved by His Grace. No better nor worse than the next sinner.

How did Jesus treat prostitutes? What does this teach us about sinners and sin?

Jesus primarily hung out with sinners because this was His purpose on earth: to save and redeem that which was lost in the fall in Eden. When the Triune God said in Genesis 1:26 "Let us make mankind in our image" the result was that every human being has a "stamp of God" in them, whether they believe in Him or not and deserve to be treated with dignity and kindness. Jesus modeled this in how he treated tax collectors, (hated by all), adulterous women, lepers and other outcasts, such as the shunned woman with the issue of blood,  the "sons of thunder", James and John (Mark 3:17), who also needed to be redeemed, the Samaritan woman, who had multiple husbands and was now living with a man not her husband. Jesus spoke the truth in love to each individual regarding their condition, without shaming or humiliating them and while welcoming them into His "circle" of love. Each of us is born in a fallen condition, regardless of how we live out that condition, and need the same exact measure of grace to be saved as the next person.

My attitude should be the same....I'm a sinner saved by grace alone, and so grateful to be His daughter, that I am to look at others as He does, and to be eager to share His love with whomever...regardless of their "sin condition".

I agree with this 100%. Rahab was redeemed and this was orchestrated by God because He knew that she believed in spite of who the world knew her as! He takes the lowest of the low and makes them His own. We are all sinners and have fallen short. God in His infinite mercy is calling us all to redemption.

• 1 year later...

Why do we focus on a person's sin.? We have all sinned.... Jesus came to redeem us from sin.  Every disciple Jesus chose was a sinner once. God looks beyond our faults and sees our needs.  We have need to be saved from sin. One sin is just as bad as another whether it is prostitution, lying , murder,.... a sin is a sin... there are no degrees.....God hates sin. the act of sin,  not the person who is sinning.  Jesus came to deliver us from sin.  We are all under grace.  It is because of God's love for us that he gives us grace.... he does not want to see us lost...She is honored because of her faith and her belief in God and because she repented and accept God and turned from sin....  I am redeemed bought with a price, Jesus has changed my whole life. If anybody ask you just who I am tell them I am redeemed.... That is why Christ died on the cross..... to redeem us from sin and back to God.