JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Baptism as a Pledge

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 10:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

1. Yes, with great joy and devotion I asked Jesus to be my Savior and my Lord. I surrendered my life to Him and was baptized in obedience to the Word of God forty four years ago. This symbolized my identifying with Christ in His death, and when I came up out of the water, I rose with Him, a new creature in Christ. My parents christened me as an infant which involved sprinkling with water and the sign of the cross on my forehead, expressing their desire that I would follow Christ as I grew up. Water is a symbol of His cleansing and righteousness which He gave me in place of my sin and guilt.

A friend who was seriously ill and could not be immersed in water due to her illness, was baptized by sprinkling. I believe she was obedient also.

However we are baptized, I've discovered that many "deaths in Him" or surrenders are necessary for me to live fully in Him.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2004 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

Having come to faith in Jesus Christ, baptism was my outward display in my belief and being a disciple that would witness and bring others to the knowing grace God has provided for the forgiveness of our sins. 

Yes, I have.  When we are baptized in front of the congregation, we are letting them know that I am a new person in Christ--died to myself & live for Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ my Saviour, to serve Him as His disciple.

My baptism is a symbol that I died with Him and rose with Him.

I say thank you Lord for this lesson.

I was sprinkling baptized when I was a Baby and to make me grow up in my trust in Jesus name, so take my Hand, drive me to serve You Long life

• 3 weeks later...

I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve Him as His disciple.  As a public declaration of being buried with Christ I was baptized by immersion in water.  Thank you Lord!

• 6 years later...

Yes, of course I've pledged my faith in Jesus -- as has everyone else on this forum -- as well as promised to serve Him. Then, immediately, I fell short of this promise and pledge. My intent was good. I was sincere. And yet, at times, I doubt everything. My faith falters.

I have never understood baptism. As a child I was sprinkled, which obviously meant nothing to me at the time; later, as a teenager, without understanding the meaning of what I was doing, I was baptised in the ocean. I only remember being disappointed when I came up out of the water the same ol' me. I thought I would be transformed. Angelic, even. 

Nope.

My faith in Him, today, has nothing to do with my baptism. I know that in the Roman Catholic tradition, when a young person goes through confirmation, they recall and "remember" the baptism of their infancy. In other traditions, baptism is more for the audience. The church, in these traditions, pledge to help the baptised baby grow into a god-fearing adult.  I have no idea who was present at my baptism and can assure you that they had nothing to do with leading and guiding my faith subsequently. So, to sum, my baptism means nothing to me. I wish I could answer differently.