JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Baptism as a Pledge

Baptism is the symbol of the transformation that happens in the hearts of those who believe.We identify ourself with Christ through baptism.

Even though some of us are baptised as a baby ,we are raised in a christian home.Most likely when we get older we choose our own denomination and are baptised again.

Some even stray away from our teaching as a child but later in life,turn to Christ Jesus again choosing their own faith.

I myself have been on a Faith Journey.Raised Catholic,then a bit of Baptist from my first marriage,then back to Catholic after my marriage ended.Then remarried,became Lutheran,for 25 yrs.Now I attend Penticostal Church AND WAS Baptised again.I just felt in my heart I needed to be Baptised again.So how ever one chooses I believe it come from the heart in what you feel you need to do. Know matter how you are baptised,Our main focus is Jesus Christ and salvation.Being saved and believing your sins are forgiven,because Jesus died for us to have life.Being baptised the way you choose is your choise.Amen

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Baptism is not a part of my salvation it is an important part of my obedience to Christ as a Christian. To be baptised in water is an open acknowlegement or testimony to the world that I have made my deceision to serve God and He has saved me. I am now his disciple. I want to let others know in a public way that I am saved!

I was saved when I was in junior high. I wasn't able to get baptized until I was a junior in college. I attended a baptist church and got baptised there along with some other members on December 7. It's funny, I can remember the date I was baptised but not the exact date of my salvation. Anyway, I try to serve Jesus as His disciple the best that I can.

Yes, I have certainly pledged my faith in Jesus and promised to serve Him as His disciple.

I was infant baptised, and as an adult wanted to express my own faith through the waters of baptism, which I did. This public profession of faith has a great deal of meaning for me -

declaring (confessing) Jesus before men here and having Him confess us before His Father in Heaven,

Beginning the way we intend to continue as separated out for God,

understanding the teaching of death to the carnal self and living only for Christ,

the sweet answer of a good conscience or a grateful heart to the death and resurrection of Jesus

rejoicing in obedience to the Almighty and Loving Father.

establishing the importance of pleasing God over and above pleasing men

Making clear to the church my intention to serve Christ, and to be fully joined to the body of Christ.

I think one could go on with this for a long time!

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

I have pledged wholeheartedly to serve Him in newness of life. As His disciple, in whatever format He wants to use me, I am available. Talents and individual capacities aside, I have sumitted myself to Him, to glorify His name in and through my weak spots. Anyone can boast about his respective talents, but God should boast about me. That is my desire and I am happy that God is working in me to purify me as pure gold and then shine for Him. I praise Him for that.

I have pledge to follow Jesus Christ and be His disciple. I was baptized as a child. I grew up in a difficult home, and realized when I was a young adult that I needed to be baptized. I felt a conviction. So following the prompt of the Holy Spirit, I was baptized again. I felt that I was already a disciple. But I felt that I needed to get right with God in a deepter way. Then when I recently got married, I felt that the fellowship that my husband and I was apart of that as a couple we needed to be baptized in the river. I felt that this was to start our ministry together.

I know that until God speaks to me I won't be baptized again. I don't think it matters how many time we are baptized. When God tells us we need to do something, we need to obey Him.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a pledge to Christ when I was 10 and was baptised. I felt the love of Christ and knew the dedication in that pledge and baptism at 10 years old and was sure I would follow Christ all the days of my life. When I got a little older the world beckoned. I backslid for a long time. Everywhere I turned the Lord was always calling to me to turn around and come back. I believe that on that day when I was 10, I made the most important choice of my entire life. I had given myself to Christ and He promised to be with me that day. His Holy Spirit was with me. I was selfish, downright uncontrolable, but He never gave up on me. He knew my heart. We talk about God knowing our hearts and revealing what is in the heart of man all the time and most of the time we mean the deceitfulness of the heart. But all through my life God knew what was really in my heart no matter how I acted out. He knew I loved Christ and He knew I would stand up for Christ if ever called upon. This is truely a personal experience, unique to each individual. My experience may sound strange to someone else, but it means everything to me. To know that I am loved so much, that the Lord would stay with me through it all and was sheparding me back home to the great rejoicing of all the friends of Jesus. I was united to the Lord that day and He kept His promise to me, to be with me always.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and have promised to serve him as his disciple. The relationship of my pledge and my baptism (by immersion) is that it not only pictures the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, but it is my testimony to observers and witnesses of what has already taken place in my heart. As I understand early church history, converts to Christ from paganism did not "walk the aisle" of the church or respond to an altar call at the conclusion of a service. They obediently submitted themselves for baptism in a public forum as their "confession" of Christ and to demonstrate graphically the death and burial of their old way of life and a resurrection to a "new life in Christ." This newness of life was further evidenced from that point on by the fruit of the spirit that developed as they grew and matured in Christ.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

When I repented of my sins and asked Jesus to forgive me and to come into my life and guide me through The Holy Spirit into all understanding of His Word, I accepted the responsibility of spreading the Gospel, and living a life suitable to Our Father as His diciple. My Baptism with water symbolised my understanding of The Life, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus and the surrender of that which I repented of, and willingness to emulate Him.

• 3 weeks later...

I was baptized as a small child which I know that some churches call it child dedication. I never had the influence of my God parent's like I should have. Some people I think just pick someone because they are family and don't want to hurt anyones feelings. However I have decided to pledge my life to Jesus and promise to serve him. I am going to be baptized again so that I can let the immersion of the water take me from the life I have lived and to be reborn into a life of serving Jesus Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and have promised to serve him as his disciple. This pledge relates to my own baptism in that I was baptized as an infant, so my life was consecrated to Him. However, I have just recently accepted Him as my Savior and understand the principles behind immersion and look forward to my own.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?

I have both pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as His disciple. When I was baptized I made my commitment public. Baptism is a beautiful experience , one of the best spiritual experiences of my life.

By baptism, you are stating openly that you do have faith in what Jesus Christ did for you and you promise to follow Him. This is not something to take lightly and it is wonderful!!!

• 6 months later...

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple.

Because of my faith in Jesus Christ and because I desire to follow Him with all of my heart and I want to make that publically known to both God and the world. THerefore, I was baptized (completely immeresed in water) at the age of 12. Some people may think that I was too young, bu I assure you I knew exactly what I wanted to do and the reason why I wanted to do it.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and have promised to serve Him as a disciple. I agree that salvation does not come from baptism. Salvation comes from the acceptance of Jesus as Lord and repenting our sins. However, the next step must be baptism. The New Testament is quite clear on the point. Personally I think immersion is the proper form as it accords with the Bible descriptions of all water baptisms. For me my baptism was a very special event. It marked my rebirth in Jesus. I felt it strongly at the time and feel it strongly now. The symbolism seems to have a spiritual parallel. Rising out of the water seemed to invigorate me and convince me that I was truly a disciple of Jesus. Baptism marked the start of that discipleship and a new life of obedience to Jesus. Baptism marked me as one of His.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes. It relates to my baptism in that.....if baptism is to salvation, what a wedding ring is to a marriage, then my pledge to Christ is through my personal and public commitment through baptism as a symbolism of my commitment and as a first act of obedience.

• 4 weeks later...

I have pledged and promised to serve Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I was baptized by submersion as a young boy at First Baptist Church, Rockville, Maryland. My baptism was an identification of my burial and resurrection with Jesus Christ as well as symbolizing the death of my sin nature and rising out of the water as a new creation. I was baptized after accepting Jesus Christ into my life as a profession of my faith in Him.

• 7 months later...
Yes, I have pledged my life to Jesus Christ and asked Him into my heart to be my Lord and Savior. My Baptism (immersion) was just an outward expression so loved ones (family and church friends) could observe this formally.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

When I gave up all the things I had done in the past and repented asking God to forgive me of all the sins I had committed, Got back in Church. I asked my Pastor if he would Baptize me through immersion. He prayed with me and said the following week would be good. We did not have any place in the church so I was baptized in the Klamath River. It was Glorious. Coming up out of the water I began spealing in tongues praising Jesus with tears running down my face. I knew in my heart I was a new creation in Christ. The old me had died and I was newly cleansed.

When I gave up all the things I had done in the past and repented asking God to forgive me of all the sins I had committed, Got back in Church. I asked my Pastor if he would Baptize me through immersion. He prayed with me and said the following week would be good. We did not have any place in the church so I was baptized in the Klamath River. It was Glorious. Coming up out of the water I began spealing in tongues praising Jesus with tears running down my face. I knew in my heart I was a new creation in Christ. The old me had died and I was newly cleansed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was baptised as an infant without any understanding of 'faith in Jesus Christ'. So I felt it was right to be baptised a second time in my early 60's, with full immersion, and this I did. I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ, and promised to serve Him as His disciple through this visible sign of my allegiance to Him.

• 2 months later...

I was baptized when I was twelve years old and it was not fully explained to me what I was doing. After I became an adult I confessed Christ and I still felt that something was missing. I was not reading the word for myself. I was relying on someone else's understanding of being a Christian. I started reading for myself and praying more for understanding. I later went back into the water and before I did the Lord spoke to my heart and told me that before I go into the water I had to confront my mother and brother and release something from my heart that I was holding against them. I did and I felt free to be baptized. Right now reading this study and my bible I have a greater understanding of my baptism. I feel complete in that understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the baptism displays to everyone your commitment to Jesus and your promise to him. I have pledged my faith to Jesus and and promised to serve him, He saved me from death and i wouldn't have it any other way. He died a horrible death for us and that means a lot to me that someone would love me that much to go through that.