JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Baptism as a Pledge

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple?

Yes, I did pledge my faith in Christ Jesus and was Baptized 3 years ago.

How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

I do not believe that Baptism is required for my salvation, but is an open declaration of my decision to follow Christ. It is a symbolism of being buried and resurrected; of leaving my sins behind and following Jesus. Jesus said that

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism -- the mode (sprinkling, pouring, immersion) and the age (infant vs. an age when a person can profess his or her own faith). Let's not argue about that in this forum. Let me ask you the crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism? (Remember, no criticism of another's understanding of baptism in the forum. No fighting. No setting people straight -- seriously!)

I have made a commitment of faith in Jesus and pledged to serve Him as His disciple. When I was baptized I understood that I was turning away from my old life and pledging to walk in the newness of life. I wanted to declare loud and clear the decision I had made so there was no mistake and no turning back. The pledge I made was non-negotiable. I will not turn back but will always choose to turn toward Him. Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him." Habakkuk 3:17,18 "Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither [shall] fruit [be] in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and [there shall be] no herd in the stalls :18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation." This holds true today as much and more so even after 28 years.

THE ANSWER IS YES, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY, AND

UNCONDITIONALLY. I AM HIS AND HE IS MINE

I ABIDE IN HIM AND HE ABIDES IN ME

IT IS MY OPINION THAT MY PLEDGE TO CHRIST

JESUS HAS NO RELATION TO THE ACT OF BABTISM

THAT TOOK PLACE IN MARCH OF 1936.

IN THE OTHER HAND IS MY DESIRE TO GO THROUGH

A RENEWAL OF MY BABTISM THROUGH FAITH SINCE

I HAVE BEEN SAVED NOT BY MY BABTISM. INSTEAD

BY THE SPRINKLING OF THE BLOOD OF JESUS CRHIST.

AND IN THIS I AM ABSOLUTELY CLEAR.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

undefined

I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ by taking part in the ordinance of baptism. And promised to serve Him as His Disciple. But, there is another important aspect to this ... In my opinion, I need to demonstrate this pledge on a daily basis. Like "Give us this day our daily bread". I don't mean that I need to physically receive baptism daily. I was baptised as a baby and then again about seven years ago. Next month I will turn seventy; and look forward to demonstrating to myself each morning that I have been purchased of God! Praise His Name forever. Love ...Bro. Al

Q4. (3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism. Let's not argue about that in this forum. The crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?

Yes, I have pledged my faith in Jesus Christ and have served Him as His disciple to the best of my ability--leaning always on Him for that ability! For the past twenty years or so of my eighty years, I have been in missions--most of them in foreign lands.

I believe my pledge came as a direct result of my baptism, and I reiterated the answers as to the basis of my faith--Jesus-- and my promise to serve Him, when I joined my church as an active member seventy years ago.

Baptism is an outward sign of the inward grace that has taken place as a result of accepting Jesus as Savior and Lord. Almost 30 years ago I made that profession of faith. That faith relates to my baptism in as much as it symbolizes my death, to sin ; the burial of my old nature, and the resurrection of my spirit because of what Christ accomplished for me through His redemptive act. Just as God would not allow Jesus to remain in the tomb, He will also resurrect me. Even the faith God has given me is a gift from Him.

My baptism is a reminder to me of that mysterious grace that holds me in the palm of God's hand and is yet so gentle it bids me freedom to explore life in such a manner that I have joy in serving without obligation. In Christ I have no condemnation, just pure JOY!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have pledged my faith to Christ and promised to serve Him as a disciple. I view my baptism as a wedding ceremony. I pledged myself to Christ and realized that He had pledged Himself to me (before the foundations of the world!) Since that time, there have been mountains and valleys, times of intimacy and times of me turning away, but I can always come back to that point in time when I was baptized. And I have often "renewed my vows" - our particular denomination has a "Remember you Baptism" service.

I have pledged my life in faith to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I place in Him my trust, and ask to serve as His disciple. My sincere attempt is to always be ready for His call, and live in such a way that gives glory to the Son and the Father. I was baptized as a youg boy, and so the symbolism of the act escaped me. I have come since that time to understand the need to die to sin each day and be resurrected anew. I stumble and fall, but with His help, I attempt to carry my cross through each day, and be ever thankful of the gift of the Good News!

Yes, I have pledged my faith in following Jesus Christ. It is a continual renewing of my vows to Him. I am trying to be aware of things He wants me to do and say so I will be a more effective follower.

I was sprinkle dedicated when I was a baby. When I was in the Holy Land I wanted to renew my pledge to follow Christ so I was immersed and brought up out of the waters of the Jordan River. That was very meaningful to me and a pledge I will honor all my life.

Belonging to a church where baptism is usually done when a child, My parents did not follow that tradition. Instead I was baptised as a teenager when they felt I would understand what was being done. Jesus Christ is my Saviour and I try to follow his example. However, the road is rough and rocky at times but He is always there to carry me through difficult times. At times when I am struggling the hardest he is so close to me , walking with me and taking me by the hand that i Know I have a Saviour who really cares for me. Thank you Lord for caring for all of us. Amen.

May the God of Love be with us all this day. Amen :)

:rolleyes: Being the son of a dedicated pastor from a mainline church, I had my child sprinkling baptism when I was a baby and confrmation at the age of 14, and was brought up in a Godly way with biblical knowledge and involvement in chuch and its activities. However I had the experience of Holy Spirit at much later date and was convinced to participate in an immersion baptism, to witness to my congregation and to my God and saviour Jesus Christ that I rededicate my life to Jesus and am dead to my sins and I always try to keep in my mind and soul this act, to streghthen and sustain me in all situations.

I have pledge my faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve Him as His disciple. I was baptized and this witness to others that I am a follower of Jesus. Jesus was also baptized by John the Baptist. I believe that I showed forth burial when baptized and resurrection when I came up. Jesus is my example to follow. I know we have to do what the word of God says regardless of traditions. If Jesus was baptized it is right with me.

(3:20-21) Various Christian traditions have different practices of baptism. Let's not argue about that in this forum. The crucial question for you -- Have you pledged your faith in Jesus Christ and promised to serve him as his disciple? How does this pledge relate to your own baptism?

Yes, I was baptised by immersion when I was a teen-ager; however, in later years, I did not serve Christ as faithfully as I should have. After my husband accepted Christ as his Saviour and when our children came along, I saw the necessity of taking them to church, and this helped to strengthen my relationship with the Lord.

For the past 40 years, I have served in various capacities in our small church, and continue to serve Him faithfully to this day. I realized the seriousness of my pledge of faith in Jesus Christ several years after I was baptised, and have received so many blessings in my walk with Christ.

Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before! :)

YES, I HAVE! I HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED ( FULL IMMERSION) IN CHRIST JESUS. I DO TRY TO SERVE HIM IN ALL I DO AND SAY. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO TURN BACK. I STRIVE TO BE MORE LIKE HIM EVERY DAY.I WITNESS TO ANY AND ALL THAT WILL LISTEN WHEN I TELL THEM THAT HE DIED FOR THEM ALSO.. WE SERVE A MIGHTY GOD!! WHEN I GOT BAPTIZED, IT WAS MY WAY OF SHOWING THE WORLD THAT I AM A CHILD OF THE RISEN SAVIOR. I AM RESURRECTED IN CHRIST.

Yes, I have pledged my faith to Jesus Christ and have promised to serve him as his disciple. When I was baptize to was an expression of my new life in Jesus and being made a new creation through being saved by Christ. When I was under the water, it

was like my old life was bury with Jesus on the cross and when I was lifted out of the water it was a symbol of my new life in Christ. I know that water baptism has no power to change me in any way but it does have a meaning to me because it reminds me of my relationship with Jesus. Water baptism to me is also a public confession of my faith and commitment to Jesus and also since Jesus was baptized so I think it is good for us. :rolleyes:

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL :D

I have pledged my faith in Jesus and promised to serve Him, however I don't think this pledge relates to my baptism. I was baptised as a baby and have no memory of it. The knowledge of it, however has been a source of comfort for me in times past and also a grounding, if you will, in that I am a child of God.

I am growing into a pledge to Him. I am growing into a disciple. When I re-committed myself to Him 2 years ago I knew, in order to follow Him that I must first know Him through His word. When I know Him, I love Him. When I love Him I will be His disciple. I've read the Word cover to cover twice in a year and am spiritually growing into Him day by day. I look forward to bearing fruit 100 fold. I was baptised last year (3rd time). First as an infant, second, 20 years ago. I feel that as Christ was baptised at the age of 30, I too, at an age being fully conscious of my faith, should follow in Jesus' steps.

I have been gone for several days and have just started reading my mail. I know this is late, I did want to write an answer to this important part of the lesson.

I have accepted Jesus as my personal Savior. I in of myself am not worthy, but through the blood I am and shall always be a child of God. I have been sprinkled on and again baptized by submurging in water. How it is done is not the thought, but through it I declare my following and teaching of Jesus. Does it save me? I know that my salvation came by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I shall love him with all my heart, mind and strength. Will I be perfect in my walk? No! I will still keep on the path that leads to eternal life with my Father.

Have pledged my faith to Jesus Christ and promised to serve him.

I was sprinkled as an infant but when I became old enough to understand I put everything that I had in me to doing good works.

No criticisms, no fighting - talk about taking all the fun out of life :rolleyes:

Seriously, I committed my life to Christ when I was in college. My baptism (by immersion) reflected Romans 6: 2-7 (NIV)

2...We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- 7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.