JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Seeing the Father

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). Jesus claims he can do nothing by himself because Jesus elected by voluntarily submission to come under the authority of God

How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?    This statement is justified by role of the trinity; Father, Son and Holy Spirit being equal in Person (hence of the same nature), but with voluntary submission to God the Father.

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? We can see Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry by also: Voluntarily submitting our will not in part but the whole to God.  This means surrendering every aspect and dimension of my life totally and completely to God.

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? Q2. (John 5:19, 30) I think Jesus would see and hear the Father by seeking the Father's heart in a matter, what would please God, what does God delight? What would his Character and nature agree with in my thoughts, feelings, actions, behaviours and spirit of my intent. 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

When Jesus became man, He left some of his divinity behind. So he was fully God but in human form. With God in Him, He was able to do all things. But if He did not have that relationship with God, He wouldn’t have been able. We can use what we know about Jesus’s early morning time and take it into thought for our own lives, and consider on a similar routine.

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

I think Jesus said this because He came as a man. He lived as a "normal" Israelite to the point that the people who He grew up around asked each other when He began His ministry "isn't this the carpenters son?". The Lord did not preach, perform miracles, nor did He cast out any demons prior to receiving the Holy Spirit. The Lord was dependent upon the Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish the works of God and He was unable to do anything without the Spirit of God. Jesus chose, as highlighted in the lesson, to humble Himself and become a servant, a man, though He was God. Jesus often addressed Himself as "Son of Man", not "Son of God" though He was and is. I think He identified Himself this way for our sake; as to say, "this is what it is like when God is in man". We can use Jesus as our perfect example because He was fully man and fully God. He did everything as a man filled with the Holy Spirit living in obedience. If it was in the life of Jesus it can be in ours (ONLY FOR HIS GLORY NOT OURS). I think Jesus "heard" and "saw" the Father through many ways such as nudges, whispers in His heart, dreams, visions, impressions, audible voice, ect. I believe it was because the Lord truly knew the Father and had such perfect unity with Him through prayer that every time the Father spoke Jesus caught it. Then after He caught it He obeyed and acted on what the Father was saying/showing Him.

• 5 months later...

The Son can do nothing by himself," indicates how dependent Jesus is upon the Father, especially during his time as a human being.

Jesus does the will of His Father..

Jesus is obedient..We must let the holy spirit guide us.

We must seek first our father in anything we want to do..Seel our father as we begin our day.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2017 at 1:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

By myself, I can do nothing proves that Jesus was not working from his own divinity but by depending on God. Jesus seeks to see what the Father is doing and hear what the father is saying then act on that basis.
God is always at work in our day, I should use quiet time to meditate on the word.

Follow Jesus' example as a pattern for my ministry by developing a lifestyle where I use quiet time to seek God's guidance and will.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jesus said , “ By himself he could do nothing”, because He was God but He was also Human . He prayed to the Father for Strength, to the Father to forgive us, For willpower .  Even though Jesus is God in Earth He is still a man .  But He is most importantly Sinless .

His divine nature was to be Sinless and compassionate. The Lord God wishes none should perish, likewise Christ, to the point of being a sacrifice for us.  His Father’s business was the reason  he was born. The sinless spotless Lamb had compassion on us and accepted his fate for like our Divine Father,  He Loved Us .

To remember  that I was created to be with God the Father one day.  But to walk in a way where I would not go alone. To draw near to God so that He can teach me and strengthen me, give me wisdom, that I may be able to draw others towards Him(Christ), and allow the Father to work in their lives with the end result salvation.

Jesus sees the Father as His Godhead. His respect and trust in His life while walking the earth is what Lead Him to the Cross.  He hears His Father who gives Him the courage to withstand the degradation and the threats on Life . And the will to accomplish what he came to do. Thank you Jesus!!

• 3 months later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30).

Jesus, as the Son of God, is subordinate to the Holy Father, and as such, his time on earth was to follow the wishes of his Father. 

How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God?

I think even in heaven there are levels of hierarchy, and God reigns as supreme leader while the Son, and the Holy Spirit work to serve the Holy Father.

In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

Jesus surrenders himself completely to his Holy Father, and in that regard, we as children of God must also do the same. That's why we pray, the "Lord is my shepherd, I shall now want..." We are surrendering ourselves as servants of God for which He will provide.

How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father? 

I think God's voice was audible only to Jesus, and the figure was the Father was also only visible to the Son. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

Jesus said, "By Myself I can do nothing," because He is not and was never independent of the Godhead. They all work together interdependently.

Even though Jesus is the Son of God,  divine in nature, and equal with God in Person, He is subordinate to God in role.

We can use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry by humbly depending on and taking directions from our Father.

I think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father by seeking Him through constant communication with Him, especially in His quiet time.

• 1 month later...

Jesus said "By myself I can do nothing", because he had no self desire, His only desire was to please Father, to do Fathers will. He would only do what  Father told Him to do. To preach  Fathers Kingdom, to heal the Sick, to cast out demons.

Jesus only spoke of and gave glory to Our Father and His Kingdom, He knew how amazing they both were, because in the beginning He was with His Father, before He was sent to us.

While on earth Jesus, (flesh), He relied totally on God, for His every need, guidence, nourishment, comfort, strength and power. Wisdom and knowledge in how to deal best with certain people and situations. Jesus was sent to fulfil a purpose, He bore the sins of the world in His body. Jesus wanted to show us what life looked like when we reconcile and totally submit to Father wholely, with ALL our heart, soul, mind and strength. Jesus also showed us what it was like to be forsaken by Our Father as He hung on the cross in excruciating pain, a pain, not just physical, but emotional, and spiritual, pain that was meant for us.

"By myself I can do nothing"
God is in control of everything.

By 28 March 2013 I was a total wreck. My mind had shut down, I was totally empty inside, I could not shift the dark clouds of doom above my head, I was depressed and suicidal, life became too hard. I didn't believe in Jesus at that point in time, but I knew there was a God.

That day I heard the gospel of Jesus Christ, His birth, death, and resurrection. I was told that Jesus was whipped and beaten and hung on a tree to die for my sins, because He loved me and He wanted me to be reconciled to God so that I can live and not die. For me at that point the message was loud and clear.

Up until that point I didn't even know I was a sinner. I was a 'good person', always there for, and supporting others, putting others first, But that day the truth was revealed, my sins were greater than those who I felt had sinned against me.

For years I saw myself as a victim, and everyone was hating on me, and using me. I received no thanks for all that I did. Yep, I was drowning to death in self pride and pity. That day Jesus came to me, told me my sins were forgiven. I heard His knock and I let Him in. That day I received the Gift of the Holy Spirit. Instant Rebirth. I was on fire. I was brought back from the living dead. The dark clouds shifteď, I felt such an amazing love, like never before, for everyone in the room. My whole being danced. I was given a new life in Christ Jesus, reconciled to the Father. So all that I have done, and continue to do, I do it all, no longer for self glory, but for the Glory Our Father, for Him to be praised, for His amazing work to be seen and known, because when I look back at where He has brought me from "By myself I can do nothing", and without Him, I am nothing, merely dust. I shouldn't even be here, but by His Amazing Grace, and for His plan, a purpose, I am. Thank you Jesus xx

Jesus knew the Father, the Father was in Him, His Father taught Him everything, Love. He knew Fathers will. Jesus sees sick people and He is moved by compassion. He desires that none should perish. He desires for the sick to be healed, the blind to see, the hungry to be fed, He hears through His Spirit, heart, soul, and mind. He has His Fathers Heart. He and Our Father are one through the same spirit.

Whatever Jesus asked for, if it was in Our Fathers will, He received, and when He received He saw Our Father. Whenever Jesus saw His reflection, He would see Our Father

We see Our Father when we pray for someone and see a shift in their circumstance. Or pray for someone who is sick, and they are healed. When we minister to someone and they accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. When we look at our children and grandchildren. Nature all around us, birds, animals, plants, and trees. He is everywhere.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 8 months later...

The dual nature of Christ and the triplicate division of the godhead have always confused me and continue to do so. I find your ontological sameness v. functional difference confusing, but am not sure why. 

I like the idea that Jesus envisions his ministry as work. It’s self-justifying, perhaps,  because I like to work. When Jesus said those words about the Son doing nothing by Himself, he was responding to the pharisees desire to kill him for breaking the Sabbath and supposed blasphemy. Somehow, claiming equality with the Father answered their accusation.

Pharisee: I want to kill you for being a blasphemer. 

Jesus: I cannot do anything by myself. I only mime what I see the Father doing. We work simultaneously.

I'm not sure how this a response? In a way, Jesus's response justifies their accusation that he’s blaspheming by calling himself the Son, which he only did, again. He doesn’t quite say He is the Son but calls God His father.

Your text is great: “Jesus' power is in discerning what the Father is doing -- and then cooperating with the Father in that. Open our eyes, Lord!” The logical corollary would be that if Jesus couldn’t discern what the Father was doing – wanted – then he wouldn’t have any power. Therefore, unless I hear/see/know the Father’s will, I will not have His power to do anything.

Since I want and need God's power, I need to know God's will. I also want the sort of confirmation that what I think I heard was truly of the Lord. I want to "cooperate" with God, as you put it, which means, to me, that I am in detailed synchronization with what He wants me to do.

And be. I have to BE what Jesus wants me to be as well as DO what he wants me to do. Being seems much harder.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I learned this concept of the Trinity in Sunday School: sorry it is so huge! But it helps me, in my small dumb brain, to understand.

Jesus is teaching us that we can do nothing on our own, just as Jesus cannot do anything without the Father. Jesus is equal to the Father and He IS God, yet He is fully man also. He is showing the doubters, who accuse Him of preaching on the Sabbath, that His Father commands Jesus. In other words, Jesus is proving Jesus’ claims. 

I must practice daily my time with the Lord, who will teach me and show me. There has to be a willingness—even an eagerness—to submit, just as Jesus submitted. Step by step I can follow His plan—be it a church ministry or ministry of doing dishes—as I submit and trust Him. 

I believe Jesus sees and hears the Father through the Word and prayer. 

The+Trinity.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think Jesus said "By myself I can do nothing" because   his strength and power came to him through faith in his Father. Although Jesus was Divine, he took on on a human form and as a human knew he needed faith and reliance on the Father. The same as we all do. I think Jesus would see and hear his father by doing His Fathers will.  I though I may not recognize it,  God is always working in my day. Through prayer and mediation in Gods word  I can learn to discern his will.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30)

Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30).

How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God?

In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?   

When Jesus came to this earth as a man to save mankind, He laid aside what He as God was and put on human form.  That is why, as a man He could honestly say, "By myself I can do nothing". 

Even as divine , Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three, yet ONE.  The function as it were is of three entities ,yet as one being. (Son and Holy Spirit being equal but subordinate).  One GOD but three "Persons"

Jesus did not just barge ahead into anything, He spent time with the Father and allowed Himself to be led. 

I would say that He would , as He does now, fill Him with His thoughts, and promptings and peace about matters He had brought before Him.

That picture Lutherwoman has put on her answer points it out very well.

Thank you

• 4 months later...

Jesus said these words because He understands exactly that He is a member of the Trinity and relies on what He sees His Father do and being enabled by the Holy Spirit to perform miracles. Jesus as the Son understands that He is fully God but has been sent by the Father to do His will and serve the people of God.

We need to be servants to the people God has sent us to. Most of the time we want to be served and honored but in reality, we must honor God by diligently serving His people. In essence, we need to always enquire from God in our daily walk with Him and the Holy Spirit will guide us in doing what God wants us to do.

Jesus always enquired from the Father in the solitary and lonely places where He would spend time with Him. When He has heard and seen what the Father has done, He would act on that which has been revealed to Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus was totally dependent on His Father to do the works that he did. Jesus was not a lone servant. He was in total submission to The Father and he did it willingly. Jesus Was and Is God but there is also a divine pattern with the Godhead.  

In our own life and ministry we are to follow this same pattern as Jesus. We too should have the attitude that we can do nothing without the Father's guidance and Jesus and The Holy Spirit. We to should be about our Father's business. Jesus knew the Father perfectly and would hear him in his heart and he recognized His Father's voice just like we to should recognize our Father's voice.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”?
Jesus is God in the flesh, so He can’t do anything without hearing or seeing from God.

(vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?

Jesus is dependent on the Father, so His judgement is fair. 

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

We need to be servants like Jesus, think of others and not ourselves. Pray for others and minister to those in need. Share our testimonies to help others. 

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

During His daily quiet and prayer time with God.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”

a: He realized as He’s setting the example for us that without being in fellowship and communion with the Father He could not do nothing because He need to see it the way God sees it. 

vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?

a: : Jesus understood that as it pertain to His divinity He’s just as much God as God is but in His humanity. He also understood that He needed to be in fellowship and communion with the Father to be in the will of God

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

a: He t aches me by His example that I need to be able to spend time with the Father to be able to be effective and to be in the will of God

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? Through Discernment by The Holy Spirit

• 4 months later...

Q.2 Wnen Jesus said , I do what my father tells me He meant that apart from God there is nothing that He can do , He does what God tells Him to do

Jesus devine nature as son of God

Jesus in trinity He is God but subordinate  to His father

We can use Jesus example by also yielding to the voice of tthe spirit to guide us , so that what we do is what God please with us

Jesus would hear and see what God wants a d require of Him only, as He says i do what my father tells me

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). In His humanness He can do nothing of God but by His Spirit and listening to His Father and obeying.

How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? That's Jesus role, One with God the Father and Holy Spirit.

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? Jesus did nothing for self but for the Father. This is a big call, but certainly needs to be applied to ministry as ministry is for the benefit of others. 

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? Mostly in prayer early in the morning but also in making decisions during each day, listening to the small inner voice of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus is the son of God, he is of God and can do nothing apart from him.

The Father,The Son and the Holy Spirit.

Having the Holy Spirit dwelling with in us, praying and seeking God always.

He would listen to the Holy Spirit talking to him, and as he prayed he would see God with his heart.