JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Seeing the Father

Jesus has laid aside his divinity with all its inherent power to become flesh and dwell among us. He follows the leading of his father. He does not work independently of the other persons of the Trinity.The Father, Son and Holy Spirit work together.

As Christians we don’t do as we feel, we must seek to hear God’s voice, to see where He is working and join him. We are dependent on the Trinity even as Jesus relied on his Father’s voice for direction and guidance.Only then will we be empowered to minister effectively.

Through the quiet time he spent alone with him, and that on a regular basis, shutting out all other voices, even that of his own will, he would be able to discern what the Father was saying and doing. The intimacy with the Father would cause him to know his mind.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2 - John 15:19, 30

2a) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30)  He said it because it was true.  He had separated himself from his divinity and function as a human-man on the earth.  He administrated in his ministry only by what he saw and hear from the Father; he had relationship with the Father and was obedient unto death.

2b) How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God?  He came to earth just as all human being come after Adam and Eve.  He would not have been an attainable example for mankind to achieve.  I have heard of the teaching that "it would have been illegal for him to come and operate in that deity because the dominion was originally given to Adam (man).  Jesus came to restore that dominion to man through the Cross.

2c) In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?  We can use his life as a pattern in every facet of our life and ministry.  Jesus even said that we would be able to do even greater things...which to us seems impossible.  But he said it and that's that.  We receive it by faith.  But in all practicality, if we develop a intimidate relationship with the Father, we too can begin to see and hear from Him. I believe He longs for that with us because we are the one to execute His business here on the earth.  So humbling...

2d) How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?  Well I think that every way that was established by the Father himself; but Jesus' purposed to separate himself and seek the Father.  The Anointing was on him to do so.

"By myself I can do nothing" Jesus always rely to his Father.. Jesus seek first his Father..what Father God said,  Jesus follow him.

That's why, We  as a son of God. We should like Jesus. We need always dependent to our FatherJesus Christ like He said on john 15:5. "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me,  and I in him,the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing"

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

Though Jesus is God, he was also fully human being who must depend on the Father to help him to accomplish his assignment. We also recognize throughout the scriptures the harmony which exists in the Godhead among God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. 

Like Jesus, we must depend on God the Father to work through us and in us to accomplish His mission here on earth.  I believe we must be even more dependent on the power of the triune God to work in us and we are prone to our sinful nature.

As stated before, though Jesus was fully God, he was also fully man.  This is a mystery which we can never fully comprehend.  However, he grew up in wisdom and favor with God and he himself was the Word and the Word in the will and mind of God, his daily communication with God the Father and His knowledge of God's will, I believe caused him to see and hear God.  Also, I recall when he stood in the temple and declared in Luke 4:18 "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED..."  

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30).
He said this because his will was not his own his will was his father's will.
How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?
In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? We can use this as the blueprint. This is how we are supposed to be. But instead we are carnal.
How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? Jesus's soul was with the spirit of God. He did not give into his body. Jesus continuously communed with God through the Holy Spirit with his own human spirit. This is how he would see in here God's will.

(John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). Jesus said He, the Father and the Holy Spirit are one. They work in unity and with the same mission and purpose. Therefore, by himself, he cannot accomplish that for what he was sent to do.  38For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but to do the will of Him who sent Me. 39And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall lose none of all those He has given Me, but raise them up at the last day.

How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? Jesus was God in human form. Though human, with human tendencies, yet without sin, Jesus chose to do the Father's will and inclined his heart to follow God's will and not his own.  

Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? We see the results of Jesus' ministry as triumphant. Jesus accomplished his mission successfully because he spent most of his time in fellowship/communicating with His Father, listening and obeying His commands. Our lives and our ministry can be as successful by following Jesus' example: starting our days in fellowship with God and aligning our will with His; being sensitive to the Holy Spirit by allowing Him to guide us and direct our lives; staying connected to the vine(JESUS) in everything we do.

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? I believe when we get aligned with the Father, undistracted(in spirit, through prayer, fasting, and meditation on His word), we enter another dimension(spiritual) that allows us to see the heart of God and hear his voice. Jesus was always in fellowship with the Father, so that they were one in Spirit. The Holy Spirit sees the Father and in turn reveals to Jesus what God's will is.  Therefore, Jesus also sees what the Father is doing. He is sensitive to that inner voice that God has placed in each of us who desires to hear His voice.  He learned to listen to God's voice and act upon it.  

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) 
Why do you think Jesus said, "By Myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30).  Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 5:18 "I tell the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can only do what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."
How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God?  Jesus came to preach and to heal and that says he had to do this in his humanness and that had he performed miracles in his divinity then he could not teach the disciples who needed to understand that Jesus sought his Father to see and hear what to do and that in this way they too must do the same. 
In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?  To attempt to move without discerning what the Father is saying through the Holy Spirit can lead to a belief that they have the capacity to know what to do without looking for help from the proper source. 
How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?  I believe firstly he would have to have no distractions so that He was free to come into such an intimate place that He could see His Father and hear from the Holy Spirit what to do, perhaps that day, the next or in the future. 

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

Jesus was in nature God, but limited by nature of servant and human likeness. "equal in person, but subordinate in role" Everything that Jesus did was not of his own power, but by the power of the Spirit.  Jesus needed the enabling power of the Spirit to complete his ministry.

WE of ourselves are not capable of much, and by our sinful nature are more likely to stray down, rather than up.  Our own power is limited to what we can do in our own abilities, so to do more than that, is impossible.  We can also say like Jesus, "By myself, I can do nothing."  

WE would also need to seek the enabling power of the Holy Spirit.  Like Peter says in 2 Peter 1:3-4 "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness though our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."  By the power of the Spirit, we have divine power, which is everything we need for life and godliness. Plus, we have knowledge of Him.  We are limited, but in the Spirit, with God's guidance, we are able to do more.

That reliance that Jesus demonstrates should be the pattern of our lives and ministry.

He would "see" or discern the hand of God in the time, circumstance, people and environment He was in.  And "hear" instruction, guidance, discernment, direction as His heart and spirit was in tune with God.  It is a spiritual seeing and a spiritual hearing, not necessarily physical.  It is Jesus' spirit communing with the Father through the power of the Spirit.

Q2. (John 5:19, 30)

Q. Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30).

A. He sees what the father does and do it. 

Q. How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God?

A. There is some inter dependency among the Trinity

Q. In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

A. Depend on the Father

Q. How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

A. By having time to fellowship with Him and listening and watching the Father as He works

On 11/29/2017 at 1:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30)

Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, but he is Flesh and Blood, when he came to earth to be with us. Jesus said "By myself I can do nothing" due to the fact that He does what the Father does, or what the Father permits Him to do. Jesus places emphasis on His Father, the whole authority, and only by what the Father commands Him to do, the Son fulfills. According to Paul, in Philippians 2:6-7, he expresses these... 

"Who, being in very nature God, 
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 
but made himself nothing, 
taking the very nature of a servant, 
being made in human likeness." (Philippians 2:6-7)

How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?

Jesus is the Subordinate to the Father, in the Holy Trinity. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Although they are fully ONE, Jesus being the subordinate to the Father, explains this scenario.

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

By having quiet moments with the Lord in our daily walk with Him, closely communicating our daily life and happenings to Him, and remembering He is still our Number One in the Decision Maker and the Leader of our Soul. 

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

Jesus sees God, He is the Son of God. He has the Holy Spirit that enables the spirit to see in the earthly realm. But I definitely know Jesus talks to the Father openly.

On 28/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We know that Jesus is one of the Trinity and is reliant on guidance from His Father. ' He does what He sees the Father doing '. The Father sent Him to earth so He does what the Father wants Him to do. We too must do what Jesus wants us to do. Just as Jesus prays and listens to the Father so should we. 

Because as son of man He was taking all the instructions from father the God and on His own He does nothing.

Jesus divine nature is that He being son of God already knows Him and was with Him before coming here on to this earth as son  of man, He only does fulfill Fathers will. 

We should learn to please God and not the people who are around us by following Jesus as in John 5:30.

By praying to God and waiting silently to hear His voice and instructions to do things that are according to His will.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.) Because he was dependent on the Father to do the works of God.  b.) Jesus in His divine nature as the Son of God was submitted to the Father and did only what he saw the Father do. c.) To spend time in prayer with God in the Secret Place as Jesus did and hear from God as to what He would have us do and be a doer of that Word. d.) Jesus would see and hear the Father in His quiet time by the Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Jesus said “By myself I can do nothing” because he is in turn with the Father. He only want to do what the Father wants him to do. Jesus is the son of God because the Father sent him down here to be with us. We have always got to stay in turn with God and do the things he wants us to do. That is the pattern that I see for my life and ministry. Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father when he was having his private time with Him.

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). This was because of the Pharisees who were accusing him of breaking the Sabbath by healing on the day of rest and calling God his father.

In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? By accepting that Jesus’ miracles resulted (at least in part) from him being a human being who is full of faith and in tune with his Father’s will and timing, then Jesus becomes our exemplar as the Spirit-Filled Man, from whom we can learn how to operate in the Spirit.

How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father? By showing him all that he does. Yes, to your amazement, he will show him even greater things than these John 5:17 – 20.

• 2 weeks later...

(John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? Jesus knew that the will of God is why He was sent down to complete His mission and all that He was sent to do was of our Father. 

How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God? That is was Jesus purity which made Him Devine and only the son of God could have this perfect nature.

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? In many ways. He was loving toward all people without judgement because He understood we are all sinners. Through Him we are saved so we are to minister Him as the answer to salvation and choose to follow Him in our own lives by building/transforming our character to care virtue. 

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father? Through the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

Jesus was impressing on his disciples the importance of reliance of the father even though He was God, He depended on his Father. It shows us that there is hierarchical order even in their divinity of trinity - they are not independent of each other but work as one.

We can emulate this example by developing the same pattern of quiet times with the Father, listening for guidance , direction and instruction - and disciplining ourselves never to make a move nor take any action without hearing from God.

I think Jesus saw visions of places and people and what He ought to do there according to the Father's instruction.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus was always saying that His Father does the works, as I see I do.  The Son can do nothing of himself, but what He see’s the Father do He does likewise.   Jesus Christ is the perfect example of humility being the Son of God who came from heaven to become flesh.  Everyone who humbles themselves will be exalted and everyone that exalts themselves will be abased.  Jesus came from the Father so He knows what God looks like.  He doesn’t need to hear the Father all of the time because He knows His Father is with Him, however before he was crucified and he prayed to the Father three times, an angel appeared strengthening Him.

• 1 month later...

Jesus want us to imitate him. He want to be an example of how we seek the Father's will and cooperate with him, then we will see the power of god in action through us. Jesus was letting us know that he couldn't do anything without the father, neither can we. He depended on pray and God's spirit for guidance in spite that He was part of the trinity. Jesus came in the flesh to be an example for us. For our ministry, we must do the same. Pray and read and depend on his spirit for guidance and to hear from God.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus and God, the father, are one in the same.  You see the son, you see the father, you see the father, you see the son.  They are the same.  Jesus said he is nothing without the father who sent him and he does only the will of the father, who sent him.  I don't justify anything! God is just and his word is the only thing that matters.  He said it and it is true.  God the father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. or Spirit,  the Godhead three in one.  They are the same.  We don't have to understand it in our physical self but we must believe because that is what he requires.  The only way we can approach the Father is through the Son and he is sitting on the right hand of God as our advocate or intercessor.  Jesus sees and hears the Father through prayer.  He did nothing on this earth without going to the Father in prayer.  He always prayed before doing anything!!!!  He prayed before the sun rose in the mornings.  He prayed continually during the day and even while teaching his disciples.. before He did anything, he prayed and communed with the Father.  The times that we read where he was not with his disciple he was praying and communing with the father.  Before he spoke to the multitudes or taught in the temples, he prayed.  He always did the will of the father and how would he know the will of the father if he did not seek him to ask and did not hear him speak to him?

• 3 months later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus' divine nature as the Son of God? In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

Jesus is acknowledging His humanity. He has to listen and depend on the Father just as we do???

He has laid aside all that went with His divinity , to model for us what should have happened through Adam. Here is someone without sin but human fulfilling the divine purpose for man made in God’s image. It shows us what is possible for us!!!!

We need to see that we can and need to live a “face to face” experience with the Father. This will mean starting each day in the Father’s Presence.

Jesus saw and heard the Father through His spirit, through the scriptures which He was immersed in and through prophetic revelations. He meditated on Biblical stories like the Israelites in the Wilderness am the book of Deuteronomy.  He also used all of the different prophetic ways of hearing & seeing.

• 4 weeks later...

By myself I can do nothing!

It is good to dwell on this statement coming from Jesus knowing that His humanity recognized of itself that  it had no power to carry out the will of the Father. Only by seeking Yehovah daily in prayer was Jesus able to receive the divine outpouring of the Spirit, the enabler, the comforter who strengthens and makes possible the ability to rise above the flesh. 

We to can rise above the flesh through Him. JESUS promised us the same Holy Spirit to speak to our hearts, to lead us, to strengthen us. I know His promise is sure, if I take hold of it, follow Jesus example, prayer life, a pattern, a promise. Yehovah always keeps His promises.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, “By myself I can do nothing”? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus’ divine nature as the Son of God?

In His earthly life, He did everything depending on the Father. He was fully yielded to the working of Holy Spirit through Him. He was subordinate to God. Moreover, during His earthly ministry, He had emptied Himself of all divine attributes and was completely human even though divine in nature. Because of which, if He had to do God’s will, He had to depend on God.

In what ways can we use Jesus’ example as a pattern for our own life and ministry?

We need to discern what He is wanting to do through us and do accordingly.

How do you think Jesus would “see” and “hear” the Father?

Because He was so tuned with the Father, He might have seen impressions from the Father and might have heard the still small voice of God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 5:19, 30) Why do you think Jesus said, "By myself I can do nothing"? (vs. 30). How do you justify this statement with Jesus divine nature as the Son of God?

Jesus, though he was Son of God, He was man on earth just like us. He did all things on the earth in total submission, surrender and obedience to His Father. Jesus discerned what the Father intended or desired. This was only possible with His continual walk with Father and did the Father’s Will. He did all that Father wanted to do and did nothing on His own. He came on the earth to do His Father’s Will. This is why Jesus said so.

In what ways can we use Jesus' example as a pattern for our own life and ministry? How do you think Jesus would "see" and "hear" the Father?

We can use Jesus example to learn :

1. surrendering to God to do His will and not our will.

2. Obedience to His command adds purpose to our life and ministry as Jesus was obedient even to the point of death.

3. He was always willing to please His Father, our life and ministry must be so.

4. He never sought any attention to himself but gave all glory and honor to Father, we must be so.

5. He always believed Father will do as He promised, and was full of Spirit and wisdom. Our life and ministry must be based on our complete faith in God, filled with Spirit and wisdom of God.

6. He was not moved by emotions but always led by the Spirit of God, we must be so.

7. He was filled with love without any bitterness even at the cross, knowing fully that God will raise Him from the dead. We can face any situation only when our bitterness is changed to tenderness and loveliness.

By spending time everyday with Father, He was able to see and hear from God in spiritual realm, maybe in the form of voice, vision, dreams, impressions. He could discern the Spirit of truth and evil and knew what was from Father. He was tuned to the Father by the help of the Holy Spirit, as there was constant communion between the Father,Son and the Spirit.