JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit and Messiah

Q.3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

a. He makes the promise that the Holy Spirit of:   wisdom,  understanding, counsel, power, knowledge  and the fear of the Lord would rest on him. 

b. Jesus proclaims himself as the fulfillment of this prophecy in   Luke 4:21, It was fulfilled through Jesus Christ and and he read  this about himself. Isaiah 61:1-2 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then a Shoot (the Messiah) will spring from the stock of Jesse [David’s Father], And his roots will bear fruit

And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him - The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and strength, The Spirit of Knowledge and of the [reverential and obedient] fear of the Lord -

Behold My Servant whom I uphold; My Chosen One in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations.

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed and commissioned me To bring good news to the humble and afflicted; He  has sent me to bind up [ the wounds of] the brokenhearted, To proclaim release [from confinement and condemnation] to the [physical and spiritual] captives And freedom to prisoners,

To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance and retribution of our God, To comfort all who mourn  

They were fulfilled when Christ came upon the Earth and he started His ministry and started to heal the sick  and cast out demons and perform miracles.

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) 
What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? 

A new thing that God is doing for Isaiah's generation is bringing the awareness of a Promise of a soon coming Messiah, a suffering servant,  and that this Servant of the Lord would be identified by supernatural blessings. Isaiah shows God's faithfulness as a promise keeper  and a provider  where he shares that the Holy Spirit of the Lord will come upon the promised Messiah, a descendant of David.  Along with the Spiritual wisdom, knowledge, understanding and power, this Servant ( we know to be Yeshua / Jesus ) would glorify  the Father above with great reverence ( fear of the Lord ). Isaiah also tells us that God would intern show a similar reverence for His suffering Servant , in whom HE would delight for HE has put His Spirit on him.        ( Isaiah 42:1) 

How were these fulfilled?

Isaiah also mentions some of the future things this suffering Servant would be doing.   Jesus acknowledges what was written of him as he reads  from ( Isaiah 61:1-2 ).

He himself confirms that the Holy Spirit is on Him, proven by the works He has done and will continue to do; healing, loosening, and proclaiming the Day of Vengeance  of our God and Father as well as to comfort all who mourn.  

On 7/23/2018 at 10:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

The Messiah will be the off shoot of David. He will have the Spirit of the Lord reading on him and He will bring justice and peace. 

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

a. The promises God made through Isaiah concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah are as follow:

Isaiah 61:1-2

1. The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me (the Messiah, Isa. 61:1; Lk. 4:16-19).

2. He has anointed Me to preach good tidings unto the meek (Isa. 61:1).

3. To bind up the broken-hearted.

4. To proclaim liberty to captives.

5. To open the prison to them that are bound.

6. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord (Isa. 61:2).

1. I will uphold My servant (Isa. 42:1).

2. I will delight in my servant 

3. I will put My Spirit upon Him.

4. He will bring forth judgment to the Gentiles (Isa. 42:1; Mt. 12:18).

5. He will not cry, nor lift up His voice, nor cause it to be heard in the street in clamor, strife, or contention (Isa. 42:2; Mt. 12:19).

Isaiah  42:1 God's promises through Isaiah 

1. I will uphold My servant (Isa. 42:1).

2. I will delight in My servant.

3. I will put My Spirit upon Him.

4. He will bring forth judgment to the Gentiles (Isa.  42:1; Mt. 12:18). and finally 

b. The above promise and prophecy  were fulled in Christ Jesus  Luke 4:17-21

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Promise is seen in the prophetic verses of Isaiah Ch-11 , 42 and 61.The first of the prophecy is that Holy Spirit will come upon the Promised Messiah ,the descendant of David

2.Yahweh assures as that He will put the Holy Spirit of God in this suffering servant (Isaiah) Jesus Christ who will be the Judge and Master of nations 

3.It is confirmed that the Messiah is Annointed ,(filled with Holy Spirit from God)

The Fulfillment is by the earthly life death and resurrection (the ministry )which Jesus himself confirmed in Luke 4/21 

The Spirit upon the Messiah

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2).

What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

ANS. Q3: The first of these is a prophecy that the Holy Spirit will come upon the promised Messiah, the descendant of David.
According to (Isaiah 11:1-2): Seven Spirits of God will be upon Him.
" 1. A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.  2. The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him  --the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, - the Spirit of counsel and of power, - the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD."
." (Isaiah 11:1-2).

Isaiah 53 and Isaiah 42 also confirms the same promise. In
Isaiah 53 read that Yahweh will put his Spirit upon the Suffering Servant, who turns out to be Jesus (Isaiah 53):

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations." (Isaiah 42:1).

ANS. Q3: When Jesus Christ came, His first reading was from (Isaiah 61:1-2), also quoted in (Luke 4:18-21).

1. The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has  anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; 2. to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn." (Isaiah 61:1-2, ESV)

Jesus sees himself as the fulfillment of this prophecy (Luke 4:21).

God promises a Messiah would be born of man through the seed of Abraham and David who would be his earthly father and he will have the knowledge of God through the Holy Spirit, He will have wisdom and understanding and the fear of God upon him to redeem man from sin and make him one with God again.  These promises are fulfilled with the birth of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

3a: God promised Messiah would come from the lineage of King David, and that the Spirit of the Lord would rest upon Him..the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel might, and the obedient and reverential fear of the Lord and in Whom the Father delights. He will bring forth justice and right and will reveal truth to the nations. He further promises that Messiah has been anointed to preach the Gospel of Good tidings to the meek, the poor and afflicted, and to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the physical and spiritual captives and to open the prison and eyes of those who are bound as well as to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord..of His favor....and His day of vengeance upon evil, and comfort to all who mourn. References Isaiah: 11:1,2; 42:1, 61:1-2

3b. Jesus physical body was from Mary via King David's line...His blood is from His Father. ( as is true of all babies...the mother provides the womb and the nurture, while the blood comes from the father). Jesus fulfilled every prophecy of Messiah (still waiting for those involving His second coming) through His sinless life, his death on the cross and shed blood, and His Resurrection from the dead. He openly declared that "I AM" Messiah in the gospels.

" 1 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
2  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him --
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge
and of the fear of the LORD." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

Isaiah also says that Yahweh will put his Spirit upon the Suffering Servant, who turns out to be Jesus (Isaiah 53):

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
my chosen one in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him
and he will bring justice to the nations." (Isaiah 42:1)

Jesus reads from a third prophecy of Isaiah that refers to the Anointed Messiah.

"1  The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2  to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor,
and the day of vengeance of our God;
to comfort all who mourn." (Isaiah 61:1-2, ESV)

Jesus was the fulfilment of these prophecies.  He was the descendent of David whose father was Jesse, and we see in the gospels that he was filled with the Holy Spirit.  He brought the good news of the kingdom of God for the spiritually poor, the brokenhearted and the captives, He brought to mankind the gift of salvation by his death on the cross and resurrection on the third day.

• 1 month later...

That the Holy Spirit would come upon Messiah and that He would be able to walk with wisdom, power, strength, healing, mercy

All through Jesus Christ and during his ministry on earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2)

Q. What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

A. That the Spirit will come upon him to give him Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Power, Knowledge,  and he will bring justice and Good news to the people.

Q. How were these fulfilled?

A. They were fulfilled in Jesus and manifested at his baptism and thereafter, he manifested all the attributes prophesied. 

• 4 weeks later...

God's promises about the Spirit were that it would rest on the Messiah.  The Spirit would be defined by Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Strength, Knowledge, and Fear of the Lord, and these abilities would become the Messiah's.  

God promised that the Messiah would have the Spirit resting upon him while God the Father upholds him.  He will bring forth justice to the nations that surround him, using the power given to Him from God, through the Spirit.   The Spirit's wisdom, understanding, counsel, strength and knowledge would empower him to bring forth this justice.

Not only will the Messiah bring forth justice, He will also do these things because the Spirit of God rests upon Him: (Spirit of God:  spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, strength, knowledge, and fear of the Lord):

Bring forth good news to the afflicted,

Bind up the brokenhearted,

Proclaim liberty to the captives,

Proclaim freedom to prisoners,

Proclaim the favorable year of the Lord,

Proclaim the day of vengeance of our God,

Comfort all who mourn.

All of these are done, and done to perfection through the Spirit that God gave to Jesus.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

God promises that the Holy Spirit would rest upon the Messiah; hence this Messiah would do mighty deeds.

This was fulfilled when Jesus came to earth, and he preached, taught, cast demons out, and healed the sick, with much authority. In Luke 4, Jesus Himself read Isaiah 61 in the synagogue at Nazareth, meaning the prophecy to be fulfilled in him.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Holy Spirit will come down on the promised Messiah and rest on him.  The Spirit will give the Messiah wisdom, understanding, counsel, and power, knowledge and fear of the Lord.  The Messiah will be His servant.  He will bring justice to the nations.  He will bring good news to the poor, bind the broken hearted, proclaim liberty to the captives, opening of the prisons to those who are bound, and the proclamation of the day of vengeance of God to comfort those who mourn.  These were fulfilled by the birth and servant life of Jesus.

Isaiah 11

1And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
Isaiah 42:1 
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 61:1,2 
1The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

In Revelation (1:4, 3:1, 4:5, 5:6) we read that Jesus Christ is the one that hath the seven Spirits from God. Seven being the number of completion or perfection, could mean that Jesus had the Holy Spirit in Him in His fullness. But we see in Isaiah 11:2 we see the seven fold aspect of the Holy Spirit upon the root of Jesse, the Son of David. The Holy Spirit rested upon Him,  with wisdom, understanding, counsel, might, knowledge and fear of the Lord. His first coming is to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord or the year of favor of the Lord. But there is going to be a day of vengeance of the Lord. In between these two proclamations there’s a long pause which is the church age and the church is experiencing the year of grace now.

Jesus  was conceived by the Holy Spirit, walked in the power of the Holy Spirit, offered Himself through the eternal Spirit (Hebrews 9:14) unto God, was quickened unto resurrection by the power of the Holy Spirit. He walked in the fullness of the Holy Spirit from the beginning to the end of His earthly ministry.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God to comfort all who mourn." - Isaiah 61:1-2.

God promised that a Rod will come out from the stem of Jesse, i.e. a descendant of David, Jesse's son, and the Holy Spirit will be with him. God promised that He will bring justice to the nations and to heal the hurt and set free the imprisoned. These were fulfilled when Jesus came to Earth and proclaimed the gospel and when Jesus died and freed us from our bondage.

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah 11:1-2

As Isaiah prophesied, Jesus birth was from the lineage of David (Son of Jesse). Jesus was baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit, for He was full of wisdom and understanding in all His dealings during His ministry on the earth. He was filled with counsel to provide the right answers to every question, and might(power of God displayed). He was filled with knowledge which is displayed in his reply and his parables and teachings to His disciples. He was also obedient to the Lord displaying reverential fear of the Lord. We have the same Spirit as promised by Jesus to baptize us, dwell in us with all the characteristics as in Jesus, to enable Jesus be formed in us through the continuous molding of our lives as we yield and surrender to our God in love and obedience.

Isaiah 42:1

Heavenly Father delighted in Jesus as the only begotten Son in whom He is well pleased. With the death and resurrection of Jesus, who now sits at the right hand of the Father, everything is subject to Him at His feet and He reigns over all in truth and justice. Righteousness and justice are the foundations of His throne.

Isaiah 61:1,2

During the ministry of Jesus on the earth, the Spirit of God was in Jesus as He preached good news to the poor, healed many who were broken in their lives with His love and compassion and by strengthening them with the power of His might, delivered the ones who were captive under the power of Satan, sin and sickness even death. by setting the lives of the people free to walk in liberty and enjoy His kingdom on earth, as it is in heaven.

Jesus showed a taste of heaven on earth.

He is our hope living in us, the Rock in whom we trust, the Light for all the world to see.

• 1 month later...

Isaiah 11:1-2 says that the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord would rest on Jesus, the Branch who came from the Root of Jesse.  Isaiah 42:1 says that God will put His Spirit on Jesus.  Isaiah 61:1-2 says, "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;  to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn."  After Jesus' baptism, the Holy Spirit came on Him.  Afterwards the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.  He overcame all temptation by using the Word of God.  He came out of the wilderness in the power of the Holy Spirit to do His Father's work.  In Luke 4:21, Jesus quoted Isaiah 61:1-2 and said that that day the scripture had been fulfilled. 

Personally, I believe that this is what God intended baptism to mean for the chruch also.  Jesus was baptized.  The Holy Spirit came on Him and anointed Him.  The Holy Spirit led Him into the wilderness where He was tempted by the devil.  He overcame all temptation with the Word of God and came out in the power of the Holy Spirit.  The same is true of the Israelites.  They ate the Lamb and applied the blood.  The Holy Spirit led them through the Red Sea (baptism) and into the wilderness to be taught that man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.  God's intention was to take them into the Promised Land to defeat giants.  I believe God intended this to be the pattern of the church so that we could have victory over our enemies. 

• 7 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

1 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
2  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him --
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge
and of the fear of the LORD." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

These prophecies were fulfilled through Christ Jesus. Isaiah 61:1-2 is read by Christ in Luke 4:18-19,20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.  And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

• 5 months later...

What promises does God make thru Isaiah about the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?  How were these fulfilled?

The prophet Isaiah prophesied that Messiah would be from the lineage of Jesse. The Spirit of God would rest on Him and he would be the embodiment of the seven fold Spirit of wisdom, etc. 

Jesus is the fulfilment of all the prophecies of Isaiah. He came from the lineage of Jesse, the Holy Spirit alighted upon him at his baptism in the form of a dove.  While on earth he went around doing good by bringing good news to a lost and dying people, he healed, cleansed and delivered mankind from all different kinds of conditions. Jesus comforted those that mourned, liberated the captives, bound up the brokenhearted and brought justice for the poor.